How do you critique your own prose?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

How do you critique your own prose?

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I've got a suspicion that there's something up with the way my writing flows, but can't quite put my finger on it - I don't particularly want to have to contract out to someone else on the issue to resolve it, but when I read it, whilst I like what I read, something seems wrong. It flows but it doesnt flow as smoothly as reading author's works, I'm a little stumped for ideas on how to sort this one out, are there techniques or any of those bizarre rules sitting around for analysing prose? Goodness knows, that 2 line sentence rule of thumb improved my science writing no end, conciseness improved no end.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Distance helps me. I edit better after a couple of days away from my material. My other method is I have a couple of friends and relatives (one in particular) that will give me an honest read and critical evaluation of my work.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Just tell everyone it rules, and choke them if they disagree. :P
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster