Zombies, and why i hate them

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Zombies, and why i hate them

Post by Zor »

Personaly, i think Zombies are the Most Idiotic, Crappiest Villian ever. Why, because they are so Dumb, it is just Fucking Retarded.

A Zombie is a creature that has a deadly top speed of 5 km/h, Completly Disernable Visualy from a Normal Human, Makes moning noises that give away there position, is butt ugly, more likely than not smells, is to stupid to use any weapons (let alone Ranged ones) and can be Killed by shooting, breaking necks, Running over with a Car, dropping heavy objects on them, whatever and generaly don't even have any real clear advantage in hand to hand combat.

Klingons and Signers could take them on, AND WIN!

So why do people like these Pathetic excuses for villians?
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Depends on which film you're looking at really.

For example the Zombies in the Dawn of the Dead remake were sprinting all over the place. The zombies in Versus use both wire-fu and guns. The Resident Evil zombies have the potential to mutate into much much nastier things, one of the zombies in Junk moved at human speed, could drop from the cieling, disable self-destruct commands, and survived being shot in the head, electrocuted, cut in half, and blown up.

It also depends on the method of infection. In some of them anyone who dies becomes a zombie with no need for a bite or any other kind of infection.

Your average Romero zombies do their damage due to the fact that most people are somewhat skeptical regarding claims of the dead rising from the grave. Every person bit results in either one less living person or a new zombie, and it'll take some time for people to catch on to how to kill them (the Resident Evil 3 intro points this out perfectly where you have a police barricade with swat teams and regular cops pumping out enough ammo to kill a small army but the zombies just keep stumbling through it because nobody knows that you have to hit them in the head to kill them.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

It depends on the Zombie. The ones from 28 Days Later were fast, vicious, and actually half way intelligent. Add in a lethal infection that takes a minute or two and they become a deadly threat.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Check out a Lucio Fulci flick. Also, I could break out the AFMbE books right now and create a zombie you'd be loathe to confront with an weapon save for a large explosive.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Zombies are, in the end, terror weapons. Of course, since this is Fantasy, they are also wonderful shock troops for evil sorcerers who don't want to pay wages.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Stormbringer wrote:It depends on the Zombie. The ones from 28 Days Later were fast, vicious, and actually half way intelligent. Add in a lethal infection that takes a minute or two and they become a deadly threat.
But lets see a horde of said zombies stand up to a Klingon force armed souly with Bat'leths and there other Slicin' and Dicin' toys with half there numbers.

My money is on the Klingons (never thought i would say those words).
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Admittedly my experience with zombies is limited. But there is something scary about them, the fact they're often twisted versions of people that used to be people. Something about that scares me a lot.

Plus the fact you usually have to really damage/destroy them for any discernable effect.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Zor wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:It depends on the Zombie. The ones from 28 Days Later were fast, vicious, and actually half way intelligent. Add in a lethal infection that takes a minute or two and they become a deadly threat.
But lets see a horde of said zombies stand up to a Klingon force armed souly with Bat'leths and there other Slicin' and Dicin' toys with half there numbers.

What are they gonna do? Hack them to bits? It takes less to down a Klingon than to down a zombie.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Zor wrote:

Yeah, because hacking and dicing creatures that are swarming with a virus that's stupidly contagious is such a good idea. Given that they don't feel pain and are possesed with a near suicidal desire to feed and I see the Klingons dying or getting infected.

Seriously, big knifes and blood borne infections mix well (as in fatally). 8)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Stormbringer wrote:
Zor wrote:

Yeah, because hacking and dicing creatures that are swarming with a virus that's stupidly contagious is such a good idea. Given that they don't feel pain and are possesed with a near suicidal desire to feed and I see the Klingons dying or getting infected.

Seriously, big knifes and blood borne infections mix well (as in fatally). 8)
Don't forget the Klingon love of just plain physical contact.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Well, yeah, zombies are like that in small numbers. But you never really see them be a threat in small numbers, its the waves that will fuck you up. Or when a doctor teaches them to use handguns.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Got another Senario

10,000 Zombies vs 10 Soccer Moms with Fully Gased up SUVs.

Or 100,000 Zombies vs one Trucker driving a Big Rig.
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Zor wrote:Got another Senario

10,000 Zombies vs 10 Soccer Moms with Fully Gased up SUVs.

Or 100,000 Zombies vs one Trucker driving a Big Rig.
With nothing to rebutt, you just start into this.

Your stay in my domain will be unpleasant at this rate. Very unpleasant.

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Seconds Stormie, seconds. IIRC it was only 10 or so.
I could break out the AFMbE books right now and create a zombie you'd be loathe to confront with an weapon save for a large explosive.
:twisted: :twisted:

Lets start with the pre-made ones from the Deadworlds in the main book that your complaints don't apply to that well.

PHADE Zomies: Massively disturbing, the PHADE zombies are the result of a quite insane young man raising his AIDs infected girlfriend from the grave and boning her. Man-whore that he was he started sowing the oats so to speak all around college and even on spring break in amsterdam. The disease lays dormant for years and then kills the hose who rises as a zombie some months later. Infection is spread by fluid transfer (that includes salivia). Those killed by zombies rise within 6 hours of death, though a person merely infected could have the disease lay dormant within them for as long as 18 months. PHADE zombies drink blood, have strenght greater than most humans (though not superhuman), have the normal human range of senses, and have enough intelligence to get out of the way of speeding cars, build simple roadblocks, open and unlock doors, and work as a team. A month with no fresh blood makes them go dormant. The easiest way to kill them is to destroy the heart (note destroy, holes in the heart don't do anything). You could burn one to death if you kept the fire going hot and long enough. Decapitating them only keeps them from seeing, hearing, or biting. It doesn't kill them.

Grave Impact Zombies: Caused by the remains of a destroyed planetoid (which was used by another race for necromantic experiments). They're slow, and stupid but also very strong. Severed limbs, heads, etc. will continue to squirm about and try and interfere with victims. The only way to destroy them is to incinerate them (which they burn more readily than normal corpses), however they remain animated the whole while so they're a big fire hazard. Anyone who dies anywhere on GI earth becomes a zombie (quicker if actually killed by zombies).

They Came from Beyond Zombies: Corpses animated by alien drones. They don't need eyes to see and the only way to kill them is to destroy the drone curled near the corpse's spine. They can do teamwork and problem solving and inhabit animal corpses to. The zombies are just as mobile and strong as they were in life. Drone Zombies focus simply on killing as many people as possible thus increasing the number of available hosts.

Mein Zombies: Stats are human baseline aside from the fact that they're a bit dumber than they used to be (they can use simple tools like doorknobs and guns but can't for instance drive tanks). They don't spread the love (they're given injections of a special serum then killed). Shots to the brain are the only thing that work, oh and these zombies use guns (and are occasionally packed full of explosives and told to run at the enemy).

After the Bomb Zombies: Huge, hideous, monstrously strong, faster and more agile than humans, they can use tools, oh and the only way to kill them is to reduce them to ash, though you can render them dormant by sealing them off from the radiation than animates them.

Until the Ending of the World Zombies: Inhumanly strong (groups of them are better than wrecking balls for tearing down concrete and wooden structures according to hte book) and are otherwise human baseline aside from their crappy senses, need to be hacked into small pieces to be stopped (though holy water and such do extra damage). Those of true faith can walk among the zombies without fear to do good deeds like rescue children and such and anyone killed by a zombie rises as one within 10 minutes).

And here's a little nasty from a deadworld I ran a few months back-

Weak Spot: Special*
Getting Around: The Quick Dead (better than human speed), burrowing
Strength: Monstrous Strength (superhuman level), Damage Resistant (they've grown more durable), Claws, Teeth
Senses: Like a Hawk (better than average human level), X-ray vision, Scent Tracking
Sustenance: Who needs food (they don't need to feed to survive they just do)
The Menu: All Flesh Must be Eaten
Intelligence: Tool Use (level 1, doors, melee weapons), Long Term Memory + Problem Solving (it can work out solutions to problems like how to get high enough to get through that window plus it can learn from its mistakes and those of others)
Spreading the Love: Special*
Specials: Acid Blood, Explosive Personality (they blow up when they die making each one a walking virus bomb.)

Spreading the Love: Bodily fluid transfer of any kind causes the infected person to die within 1 hour and rise within 10 minutes of death if not immediately cremated.

The weak spot on these zombies is randomly selected from the weak-spot table in teh book. So it could be the brain, or the heart, or fire, etc.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I agree with everyone.

Zombies are (in general, dismissing the ridiculous, magic, 'never dying' variety) as non-threatening as the aliens from Alien. Resident Evil zombies are probably most inflated by plot; what light infantry division couldn't handle any number of idiot RE zombies? But oh wait, Tyrants have Game Mechanic Shields and can thus ignore things like physics, massive tissue damage, etc. :)

But hey, these are the movies where noones ever seen a zombie movie; how many people here wouldn't aim for the head if a one armed, half-headed, moaning, gore-splattered, former scientist stumbled toward you?

Interesting to classify them tho; the 28 Days Later dudes weren't really zombies, they were just ill; the Dawn of the Dead ones were just silly magic corpses, the RE ones are actually dead, but animated somehow (the explanation in the movie is the funniest shit I've ever heard)... like in proper fantasy (like D&D and Lovecraft), where its obvious that its entirely magical somehow, since they're so decomposed their eyes, muscles etc can't possibly work anymore. This is totally different from 28 Days Later angry angry British people.

Erm, hijack. Someone ban me! :oops:
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

AFMbE takes Zombies to new levels, from Soul Suckers to Zombies with claws.

Then there are the super-insane powers of Zombies from the AFMbE suplement: "Enter the Zombie" -- which is all about Over the Top Kung Fu and Zombies.

Just to give you an idea: Imagine a zombie bitting with its ribcage. Being able to rotate its torso 360 degrees. A built in gun-hand. A zombie that can use a weapon that cuts a slot in its thigh so it can conceal said weapon. Then there is the "Intestine Whip".
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

SylasGaunt wrote:
Seconds Stormie, seconds. IIRC it was only 10 or so.
I'd imagine that it depends greatly on the amout of the virus one is infected with. The girl's father took a fair amount of time to start showing it and he had clearly not degenerated that much by the time the soldier euthanised him with extreme prejudice.
Anarchist Bunny

The only real ways for a RE zombies to mutate into something more powerful are Lickers and Crimson Heads. Its assumed that Lickers are the result of a already infected person thats still alive(in the games the virus took days to kill but if killed will quickly turn into a zombie) being taken down by a monster, recieving a second infection of the T-Virus. Why the fuck Crimson Heads weren't running all over Racoon City(besides the fact that they didn't exsist yet) is unknown, but may have something to do with the fact that James Marcus was responsible for the infection in the Mansion.(CH are purposely left out of RE0 cause Becky and Bill spend little time in one area)
Wiilite
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Actually, the zombies in RE (they are zombies and so are the 28DL ones, I don't care for the death thing if alien animated drone things can be called zombies too) can become Berserkers, I've never seen anything saying they can become Lickers etc. though a man or other beast may become one from direct viral infection.

Beserkers are fucking nasty. Even a head shot would need to be spot on with a high-calibre weapon. They sprint, don't pull any punches and don't give a shit about anything so long as they feed, so forget the headshot. Now imagine a city of those. I guarantee your Klingons won't hold their ground, and if they do, they get a nice dose of T-Virus and only add to the ranks of undead.

Ignore the movies, the original game was better than that film rendition (not seen the sequel). The T-Virus simply mutates cells to become more durable and stave off death until, obviously, all nutrients and energy are used up and/or major organs are destroyed, notably the brain.

Fact is, like Xenomorphs, these guys work well in populated areas for terror that can make the situation far from comfortable. While we may sit here thinking the National Guard or SWAT will simply mop them up, try and picture a city of 5 million souls dealing with the sudden emergence of a plague of unknown origins that produces horrific creatures as consequence. It only takes a few to infect many more, the process is practically exponential, it's really better than the Xenomorphs when it comes to biological weaponry.

And actually, that's why Umbrella, Inc. made the T-Virus. The Tyrant project was an offshoot, but originally they wanted a viral weapon that could be snuck into an enemy territory where infected people don't just rot and die, but help pass on the virus even if it means getting blown to pieces.

The Romero zombies are pathetic, but watch Shaun of the Dead for a great piss-take of them and how utterley silly their taking over the world scenario is.

Finally, the 28DL "zombies" are basically a more lethal form of Rabies infected human (Rage as it's known in the film, is actually another name for Rabies). Rabies produces the same effects since the virus targets the brain through the bloodstream and manipulates the brain to work with it. The hijacked personality then seeks to bite the Hell out of anything with increased saliva and mucous production to help the virus propagate. I respect this virus probably more than Ebola.
Dirty Harry
Padawan Learner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: Finally, the 28DL "zombies" are basically a more lethal form of Rabies infected human (Rage as it's known in the film, is actually another name for Rabies). Rabies produces the same effects since the virus targets the brain through the bloodstream and manipulates the brain to work with it. The hijacked personality then seeks to bite the Hell out of anything with increased saliva and mucous production to help the virus propagate. I respect this virus probably more than Ebola.
On the up-side the 28 DL "zombies" do not seem to have the massive damage tolerance shown by RE zombies. In the film, I remember Major West dropping several with his L98A1 rifle. Earlier on, a shit load of infected are masscred by the soldiers garrisoning the mansion. This, I think, illustrates that your typical Army of the undead can only be so effective if they are without the ability to launch any kind of a ranged attack.
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. - Jack, Fight club
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Do Sylas and Majin have Atlas of the Walking Dead? There's actually an aspect, I shit you not, that guarentees the dead will come back from being reduced to atoms even if it takes hundreds of years. I managed to stat genestealer using the ZCS.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Anarchist Bunny

Admiral Valdemar wrote: I've never seen anything saying they can become Lickers etc. though a man or other beast may become one from direct viral infection.
http://db.gamefaqs.co*/console/psx/file/resident_evil_plot.txt wrote:Q. Where did all the Lickers come from?

A. According to the Umbrella Top Secret File in Survivor,
they're what happens when zombies get hit with a second dose
of the T-Virus. As speculated upon in the RE writeup, the
existence of Crimson Heads lends a bit credence to the
Survivor file than it previously had.

Also, as Rob McGregor helpfully notes, various files in RE2
and RE3 seem to indicate that many of those who worked in and
around the sewers in Raccoon City were succumbing to T-virus
infection even before the outbreak on the 22nd. This may help
to explain why Lickers only appear in and around buildings that
are directly linked to the sewer system, and hence why there are
no Lickers to be found in RE3.
Survivor also reveals how tyrants are made. For every tyrant encountered(and I think most were in Survivor, but still others seen in RE0, 1, 2) a young boy died screaming.
Wiilite
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Hmm, been a long time since I played Survivor, guess that does explain their human attributes.

The Tyrant project, from the files I have read, states that every 1 in so many million people reacts to the T-Virus differently to the point that it benefits the host and produces a truly nasty soldier, though as Wesker found out, the original 002 prototype was a bit disobedient.

The T-Virus propagated so well through the sewers because Dr. Birkin had smashed a case of the stuff during his brief stint with the UBCS team led by "Hunk" trying to collect the G-Virus sample he'd just finished (and subsequently injected into his bullet ridden body).

From what I recall of the Survivor Tyrant, it was far slimmer and less built than normal, but had a nasty mutation ability still. But then, so did the T-105 in RE2 and even Umbrella Europe's Nemesis when damage is incurred (likely a natural defence against damage or some real fast adaptation).
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Actually, the zombies in RE (they are zombies and so are the 28DL ones, I don't care for the death thing if alien animated drone things can be called zombies too)
Well it's still a walking corpse, it's just animated by the drone inside it.
I've never seen anything saying they can become Lickers etc. though a man or other beast may become one from direct viral infection.
RE:Outbreak. The 'female licker' boss of the Hellfire level is still recognizably human (just with the prediliction for wall-climbing and the giant tongue o' death of a licker).
Beserkers are fucking nasty. Even a head shot would need to be spot on with a high-calibre weapon. They sprint, don't pull any punches and don't give a shit about anything so long as they feed, so forget the headshot. Now imagine a city of those. I guarantee your Klingons won't hold their ground, and if they do, they get a nice dose of T-Virus and only add to the ranks of undead.
Which game are those from?
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Tasoth wrote:Do Sylas and Majin have Atlas of the Walking Dead? There's actually an aspect, I shit you not, that guarentees the dead will come back from being reduced to atoms even if it takes hundreds of years. I managed to stat genestealer using the ZCS.
yes, actually I do have the Atlas (Where you get the fun "Evil Eye" power combined with "Barreness", creating a Zombie that can look at you can cause your nuts to shrivel up!).

And there is an Unkillable quality (+10 Power), and rules detailing it. If reduced to ashes, it would take them about 5+ days to fully reconstitute. I'll provide more details if PMed.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran