Zombies, and why i hate them

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

The one in a million thing is when you simply use the T-Virus, when you use the secreted chemical from puebesent boys Tyrants are much easier to make.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

SylasGaunt wrote: Which game are those from?
The Resident Evil remake. The killed zombies in the mansion, unless disposed of by burning gasoline on them, will come back at a random time when near them as crimson zombies of much annoyance. Can't dodge them so death is the only thing they need.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I get the impression that Zor seems to think that zombies and the Living Dead are some kind of invasion force or type of troop, so of couse they're going to be seen as pathetic when compared to such: because that's not what they're fucking for.

Jesus... :roll:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I get the impression that Zor seems to think that zombies and the Living Dead are some kind of invasion force or type of troop, so of couse they're going to be seen as pathetic when compared to such: because that's not what they're fucking for.

Jesus... :roll:
By his logic, a virus or other disease isn't effective because they're "dumb" too. Guess someone better explain to Rabies that it's too successful for it's own good.
Sean Howard
Padawan Learner

Post by Sean Howard »

That's just it, zombies individually aren't smart or fast or whatever. Small children could deal with them one-on-one.

However, given the fact that large groups of them will be incessantly scratching at your door makes them pretty creepy. All it takes is you to let your guard down for a second, get bitten, and now you become one of them. Pretty horrible thought. I'd much rather just be shot by the terminator.
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Re: Zombies, and why i hate them

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

Zor wrote:Personaly, i think Zombies are the Most Idiotic, Crappiest Villian ever. Why, because they are so Dumb, it is just Fucking Retarded.

A Zombie is a creature that has a deadly top speed of 5 km/h, Completly Disernable Visualy from a Normal Human, Makes moning noises that give away there position, is butt ugly, more likely than not smells, is to stupid to use any weapons (let alone Ranged ones) and can be Killed by shooting, breaking necks, Running over with a Car, dropping heavy objects on them, whatever and generaly don't even have any real clear advantage in hand to hand combat.

Klingons and Signers could take them on, AND WIN!

So why do people like these Pathetic excuses for villians?
That Pretty much explains why I haven't seen any Zombie movies. I do like that they threw them in to the Buffyverse to spoof them, b/c they are kinda ludicrous villains. How is a rotting corpse going to have superhuman strength??
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

*Sings*

Been bitten by a Zombie straight through to the Bo-o-one
I wanna be Cremated
Don't want to rise and shamble and moan,
I wanna be Cremated
Just shoot me through the forehead, take away my pain
Hurry hurry hurry, before I go insane
Or else I'll eat your fingers, and then I'll eat your brain oh no, oh no, oh no!

*stops singing*

The true joy of a zombie infestation is that regardless of how aware you personally are, the epidemic is still going to spread. Enoguh doctors and hospitals are going to go 'oh gosh, we must help these poor diseased people!', and then get bitten to start a decent sized infestation. Whether or not it can be contained is going to depend on the intelligence of the authorities response, and the type of Zombie. With the new sprinters, containment is probably only going to work with rapid action, and a single Case Zero. Although if you consider the Shep Option to be containment, then it should be possible to salvage at least some of the world's population.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Re: Zombies, and why i hate them

THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:That Pretty much explains why I haven't seen any Zombie movies. I do like that they threw them in to the Buffyverse to spoof them, b/c they are kinda ludicrous villains. How is a rotting corpse going to have superhuman strength??
When you don't have to worry about this thing called pain, then you can do amazing feats of strength and endurance. Even the best athelete cannot compete with an average Joe dosed up on PCP. Pain is only there to safeguard against damage, a rotting corpse looking for flesh needn't worry.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Well, then there's the fact that not all zombies have super strength...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Another event tied in with a zombie rise is looting and riots once word gets out. No one wants to believe that the dead are rising and that their government is currently tied up trying to deal with it.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

General panic and hysteria will always help antagonists. The police and armed forces may have level heads for the most part, but people are stupid in groups and if NYC were to have a Raccoon City or Dawn of the Dead like incident, human stupidity would ruin the city, not super zombies.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
The Resident Evil remake. The killed zombies in the mansion, unless disposed of by burning gasoline on them, will come back at a random time when near them as crimson zombies of much annoyance. Can't dodge them so death is the only thing they need.
Ah the Crimson Heads. Now I know what you're talking about :)
SecondStorm
Jedi Knight

Post by SecondStorm »

Stormbringer wrote:
SylasGaunt wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:It depends on the Zombie. The ones from 28 Days Later were fast, vicious, and actually half way intelligent. Add in a lethal infection that takes a minute or two and they become a deadly threat.
Seconds Stormie, seconds. IIRC it was only 10 or so.
I'd imagine that it depends greatly on the amout of the virus one is infected with. The girl's father took a fair amount of time to start showing it and he had clearly not degenerated that much by the time the soldier euthanised him with extreme prejudice.
It took ca 30 second before he was ready to kill his own daughter in a fit of rage.
And he got infected by one drop. Thats a fairly small amount.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

How many of you people have actually seen some classic zombie movies like "Night of the Living Dead" and "Return of the Living Dead?" When I was younger and watched "Return" for the first time, it about scared the shit out of me. Yeah, if you're some kind of soldier with lots of guns, you can take some zombies out. If you're just an average dude who wakes up one night to zombies moaning outside your window and trying to get through your door, you're going to be scared shitless. That's how zombies work. That's the beauty of them. Stop trying to think you could somehow bust out your super cool kung fu moves while pulling out your shoulder mounted rocket launcher. This is horror, not sci fi. Zombies are great.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Dawn of the Dead is as classic as I go, unfortunately.

I got a lot of classic movies I need to watch...
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Another thing that gives the T-Vius an edge is how far it can spread. There aren't many life forms it can't infect(even some plants). Which can go and spread it easier(Crows). Hell the nuking of Racoon City shouldn't have been the end of it, even assuming the army quarentine of the city, which a rookie cop and a biker college student were able to get through on a main road, kept any monsters from getting out of the city, the forest is still infested and spreading in othere directions from the ruins of Spencer Mansion, the Training Facility and where the train was first stopped.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Superman wrote:If you're just an average dude who wakes up one night to zombies moaning outside your window and trying to get through your door, you're going to be scared shitless. That's how zombies work. That's the beauty of them.
I take it you haven't seen Shaun of the Dead. :lol:
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

neoolong wrote:
Superman wrote:If you're just an average dude who wakes up one night to zombies moaning outside your window and trying to get through your door, you're going to be scared shitless. That's how zombies work. That's the beauty of them.
I take it you haven't seen Shaun of the Dead. :lol:
I can't wait to see it!

And I sort of back up what Superman said- the initial impression would be total terror. However, that would fade fast, and you would probably see small, non-legal groups of armed neighbors.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Don't forget the factor if one of your loved ones turns into a zombie. You dont kill your wife/child/... with ease