Edi's 2nd Annual "Who's Your Favorite SDnet Denizen?&qu

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Hmm, I've been mentioned as part of three different groups. That's almost the same as being personally cited, right? :?

Trying to list individual names would be folly, and simply result in me editing too many times, so here are some shameless generalisations:

1, The fanfic writers. I've read fanfic for a while, and only tried writing it after I came here, and its a hell of a lot harder than I would have liked to believe. Here's to all of you who help to keep my book budget within reason.

2, Similarly, the STGODers, for much the same reasons.

3, Everyone who has researched a series, and put forth the knowledge they have painstakingly gathered. Its been an education, in several ways.

4, Everyone else here, for helping to keep the place alive.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Oh, sure, you don't mention your buddies in The Mess, huh?

Well, someone had to do it.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

RogueIce wrote:Oh, sure, you don't mention your buddies in The Mess, huh?

Well, someone had to do it.
I said shameless generalisations, didn't I ?

Fine then: Rob Wilson, for being the only one of you bastards to actually include me in a fic to date.

Everyone else in the Mess, with the exception of a middie who claims to be non-socially inept, for being a general all around cool bunch.

A certain middie, who shall remain nameless, for providing an excellent target for all of the pranks and jokes I could never pull on an Ossifer in real life, and for the most part being a good sport about it.

Thbpppttt! :D
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

victorhadin for helping me out with a hydrodynamics problem last semester.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Rob Wilson and Tysroc- Forget "The day I set up an account." These two have forever made me think "The day I checked on board sd.net", and invited me to the Mess within days of posting. The Mess help me ease the transition to posting on a board where most everyone else is smarter than me. Also, a good place for me to bitch and moan and let off steam about navy life.

consequences- Another great guy from the mess. Two peas in a pod, us. Eespecially our descirptions of our evals.

Knife Another great guy from the Mess. Astonishingly good at writing first person fiction. (all of you monkeys need to go read his fanfic).

RogueIce- My "evil" midshipman alter-ego. Should turn out to be a halfway decent officer, if he remembers not to hang around in the divisional spaces, thus preventing the enlisted folks from surfing the net hen they should be working. :)

The Rest 'o da Mess- Because I'm too lazy to write their names down.

The Shep-The guy I talk to on an almost daily Basis on AIM.....yet the bastard didn't even see fit to list me. Fine, I see how it is. :wink:

Norseman- Lord of the DrakaFics.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

Alright, I'm sure most of the people on th following list will wonder 'Who the hell is this guy talking about me?', but, some things need to be said. The general population of this board is one that (unless you're a raging tit-head) is supportive and welcoming. You guys continue to amaze me with the knowledge you have, the analysis you can put it though, and the general camraderie that's displayed every day here.

Darth Wong- for someone I've never met, and spoken to directly perhaps twice on this board, you've had an amazing effect on me- turning me into a more rational person. Whenever I see bullshit coming from somewhere I can call it and pull it apaprt, thanks to the examples of your debating.

fgalkin- Master of the Chronicle, we've only spoken a few times but I get the impression you're a man of integrity and dedication to your cause, as shown through the numerous iterations of the Chronicle that have been put forward to keep it alive.

Stravo- You were one of the first 'big-timers' here to talk to me, a one line response to a terrible joke, and it made me feel like I could come into this commnity and contribute, without having to attain legendary status first.

Darth Garden Gnome- for letting me into SEGNOR and letting me feel like I belonged, again. The Revolution is coming- where will you be?

Everyone here is a source of brilliant humour and cutting logic, and I thank all of you for letting me see what an online community can be.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Lonestar wrote:The Shep-The guy I talk to on an almost daily Basis on AIM.....yet the bastard didn't even see fit to list me. Fine, I see how it is. :wink:
*proceeds to set up scenario of the Bunker Hill being attacked by
SUNBURNS from all angles in Harpoon 3, and sinking 4 minutes into
the scenario*

:twisted:

Bah, I can't list everyone, o drinker of DFM :wink:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

*raises arm in Roman salute* Long Live the Old Guard!

And in other news:

I graciously tolerate the presence of the following individuals who were not posters at ASVS back in the day:

First of all, all the female posters here, who in providing a civilised presence, remind me that ASVS did not have everything perfect under the sun.

Secondly, the following: Arik (Coyote), Knife (for being so patient with that excellent original fiction I still have not gotten his comprehensive reviews for yet), and of course Publius for a vast knowledge of Star Wars worthy of those great and ancient times. Admiral Hipper for his knowledge of another relevant subject... And, well, I suppose I'll toss Kuja on this list for the 'ell of it.

The rest of you, of course, are of a lower breed born to engage in manual and servile labour for your ASVS ubermenschen overlords.

P.S. No I am not actually serious about that.

P.P.S. Unless you have read my fanfiction and not commented on it in the thread!
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Good to see you around, Dutchess.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: P.P.S. Unless you have read my fanfiction and not commented on it in the thread!
what about those of us who have been waiting with baited breath for three frikken years for Fist Of The Empire III:Kirk's Counterstrike? :P
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Geeze, my favorite members? Kinda hard, and I don't like to play favorites.

So...

I like these guys (and gals)
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Hm. I told myself I was gonna stay out of this thread, but why not?

In no particular order:

Foo - one of my best friends, and a great source of more insanity whenever I'm getting close to normal. (*staring at the sun together* [over phone] "The potential of blindness is worth it for you!" :lol: -- and never forget the horny, attention-starved cat! That cat died recently.. *sniffles*)

Zaia - I don't really interact with Zaia much, but when I have, she has stuck me as an incredibly awesome person, and someone I'd like to get to know better. She is always there to help someone in need, and to just kinda be friendly to everyone. (and I'm a lot less scared of her mod powers than, say, RedImps or Durandals ;-):-P)

Sheppard/Elfdart - The stuff going on between you two is entertaining, it really is. As long as the board doesn't implode from the combination of Shep/Anti-Shep, I will continue to watch this battle in amusement.

RogueIce - Navy guy, Floridian, Gnome, and just generally cool. He can always be counted on to tell me about the latest on the hurricanes (honestly, I probably wouldn't know if he didn't :oops:), and is fun to talk to about almost anything else as well. (Ice, update your comic, foo!)

Darth Garden Gnome - Along with Rogue, started SEGNOR. (bit of trivia: The first thread hijacked in the name of the Secret Gnomish Revolution was actually one of mine)

Dalton - I just like Rob. Heh. I am a lot more prone to actually read through his posts completely than to skim over them when I'm browsing threads and such.

Ein - Dale can always be counted on to entertain us all with his wild flamboyant antics. (*BOING!*) His posts, while bordering on spam sometimes, are generally fun to read. :D

Regular posters in SLAM & N&P - I won't name anyone in particular, because there's a good bit of you and I don't feel like it. However, the posts made in these forums are always informative and/or entertaining. I occasionally find myself in school and anxious to get back home and to SDNet, where I actually learn things.

I'm sure I forgot people. If you aren't on this list, don't feel bad. I'm just stupid and lazy.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Mike, THE GREAT LEADER, Shep, Durandal, aerius and his fake female pseudonyms (;)), Durandal, IP, Conner, Alyeska, Chris, Nitram, Vympel, and many others. I know there are dozens I've forgotten or left off, none of these cases were intentional.

Oh, and this is just the debater list. I've got too many favorite non-scifi posters to list.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Howedar wrote:Oh, and this is just the debater list. I've got too many favorite non-scifi posters to list.
Dude, I'm so sorry, I forgot you! You should be on my list, especially since you're my favourite mod along with being one of my favourite posters. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote:RogueIce - Navy guy, Floridian, Gnome, and just generally cool. He can always be counted on to tell me about the latest on the hurricanes (honestly, I probably wouldn't know if he didn't :oops:), and is fun to talk to about almost anything else as well. (Ice, update your comic, foo!)
Comic, comic...

Oh. Shit. :shock:

*runs*
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

MkSheppard While I usually don't agree with him, his posts amuse me :)

VF5SS As he knows stuff about super mecha :D

Darth Wong For smacking me down a couple of times, and for keeping things like the Virus-X debate interesting ^^

And others.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The prospective of my fledgling self is best experessed by the esteemed Mr. Baggins: "I don't know half of you half as well as I would like to and I don't like half of you half as well as you deserve."

This is a great place with some pretty great people. I am glad to be here with you.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Favorites...

Wong: Lays the smackdown.

Shep: Nukey-nukey.

Marina: I'll still support her coup for the Presidency, but only if she puts me on the "do not castrate" list. MIAT/JAINA LOVE PLZ!

Stravo: Kickass fanfic, and his avatar rules.

Chuck: What else can even approach the scope of the Worlds Without End saga that's still going on now?

==EDIT==

Zor: Yeah, that's right motherfuckers. Maybe you never bothered to think about how the Federation would do against Cobra Commander, or exactly how many grenades China would give to soldiers going into the Stargate. That's why we have Zor!
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

It seems that not many people like me *sniffle*. Well atleast I'll always have my presscious...Wait, Where is my presscious?! NASTY HOBITTSESSES TAKES MY PRESSSCIOUS *GOLLUM* *GOLLUM*
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

The problem is I'm too dumb to remember names. You can have 3000 posts, but since your avatar has changed, I have no fuckin' clue who you are. :wink:
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

In no particular order and apologies to anyone I miss out on

Shep: Filled with my kind of military trivia and just the right amount of crazy.

Elfdart: Shep, meet AntiShep. It's great.

Durandal: always an enjoyable N&P read

Connor Macleod: always a pleasure to read a post- for those that avatar skip, like me, I always stop at the Highlander.

Darth Wong/Admiral Kanos: nuff said

Stravo: Starcrossed. N&P. Easy choice.

Illuminatus Primus: another must read in any forum

Ender: ditto

Sea Skimmer: The Great Leader demands a place on this list

Zaia: for a feminine touch. Don't talk to her nearly enough as I should. Especially with what aerius' sig currently alleges ...

Patrick Degan: fellow Axis Kast basher, every post is pure gold, regardless of length

Howedar: a fellow respected HABite

Stofsk: cool guy

Master of Ossus: another essential avatar to stop at in the long scrolls through pages of discussion

Alyeska: He did Stargate-tech. This website converted me to Stargate. Automatic placement.

Chris O: also responsible for stargate. Bonus points for Ozziness.

fgalkin: resident russian. I'm a slavofanatic. It's just inevitable.

Crown: fellow Greek- get it?

phongn: another avatar that one simply must stop at for an interesting read

Edi: always a pleasure

Oberleutnant: we had a few good games over the net- not lately unfortunately, been really busy :(

Shit, I could be here all night- and I want to go watch my ESB DVD and then some more season 2 of Stargate.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I have a lot of favorite posters, but I'll do something a little different -- posters that I pay attention to when I see them on a certain topic ...

Faram & ggs have a wealth of computer information (the former more IT/IS, the latter more programming) that they offer to the board. Always worth a read when they post on their subject matter of choice.

Publius has crazy in-depth knowledge of SW and I pay attention whenever I see one of his posts.

More to come later when I'm awake and can think.