Do UK Princes have to serve in the military?

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Do UK Princes have to serve in the military?

Post by Stravo »

I see on CNN.com that Prince Harry passed his Army entrance exams and so will be serving in the UK's army. Now I know that Charles served, Andrew served, does this mean that it is a requirement that royalty serve in the armed forces or is merely a tradition that is encouraged in the princes? And how precisely does that get handled in terms of treatment for the prince? Will he have a DI screaming in his face whether he sucks dicks and get down and give me 50?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Re: Do UK Princes have to serve in the military?

Post by SirNitram »

Stravo wrote:I see on CNN.com that Prince Harry passed his Army entrance exams and so will be serving in the UK's army. Now I know that Charles served, Andrew served, does this mean that it is a requirement that royalty serve in the armed forces or is merely a tradition that is encouraged in the princes? And how precisely does that get handled in terms of treatment for the prince? Will he have a DI screaming in his face whether he sucks dicks and get down and give me 50?
I don't beleive it's a requirement, it's just What They Do, IE, a tradition. I'm fairly sure, since Britain is not in major war, he will get cushy treatment.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Dirty Harry
Padawan Learner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Like Nitram said, its just kind of a tradition. I don't think the instructors at Sandhurst will go any harder on him than they do on any other cadet. But i'm pretty sure he won't be getting any cushy treatment, he's training to be a professional soldier after all.
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. - Jack, Fight club
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Yeah, can't go soft on him just because he's superior to normal people.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

SirNitram wrote: I don't beleive it's a requirement, it's just What They Do, IE, a tradition. I'm fairly sure, since Britain is not in major war, he will get cushy treatment.
Yeah, but imagine if he got shot down in Iraq? The outcry will be humangous. i always sorta wondered what will have happened if Prince Charles had actually been on any helicopter that crashed in the Falklands island.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

SirNitram wrote: I don't beleive it's a requirement, it's just What They Do, IE, a tradition. I'm fairly sure, since Britain is not in major war, he will get cushy treatment.
Its not, I don't believe his brother did.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

PainRack wrote:
Yeah, but imagine if he got shot down in Iraq? The outcry will be humangous. i always sorta wondered what will have happened if Prince Charles had actually been on any helicopter that crashed in the Falklands island.
You think they'd put the heir to the throne of England on front-line duty?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

CaptainChewbacca wrote: You think they'd put the heir to the throne of England on front-line duty?
While not heir to the throne, Prince Andrew was an ASW Sea King pilot and was deployed aboard HMS Invincible for the Falklands war. He participated in the rescue operation after Atlantic Conveyor was hit and destroyed by an Exocet.
"Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr I'm-My-Own-Grandpa! Let's get the hell out of here already! Screw history!" - Professor Farnsworth
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

I doubt it, the British military is volontary. However I suspect it is expected and the princes have to have something to do while waiting for their parents and grandparents to die.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Sharp-kun wrote: Its not, I don't believe his brother did.
I believe Prince William also intends to join the military; he is just going through university first.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

CJvR wrote:I doubt it, the British military is volontary. However I suspect it is expected and the princes have to have something to do while waiting for their parents and grandparents to die.
They can do stuff other than join the military, Prince Charles manages to keep busy with agricultural business and his charities.
Jean Paul
Deimos Sock Puppet

Post by Jean Paul »

I don't think it'll be cushy treatment.. if the unit he's in gets sent to war, he's going.

Prince Andrew fought in the Falklands war.

Harry may well end up deployed to Iraq.
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Jean Paul wrote:I don't think it'll be cushy treatment.. if the unit he's in gets sent to war, he's going.
You think the unit he is in will be deployed to Iraq? BWAHAHAHAHA.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Jean Paul wrote:I don't think it'll be cushy treatment.. if the unit he's in gets sent to war, he's going.

Prince Andrew fought in the Falklands war.

Harry may well end up deployed to Iraq.
Think of the target that unit would be, though...
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Royals

Post by Aaron »

Royals do not have to serve in the military, it is sort of a tradition. Typically they serve in the navy, like Charles and Andrew. The UK policy is that while they are in the military they are treated no differently than any other soldier. You can bet that Harry will be entering as an officer and he WILL be deployed to Iraq. His unit will not recieve any special treatment.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Royals

Post by Rogue 9 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Royals do not have to serve in the military, it is sort of a tradition. Typically they serve in the navy, like Charles and Andrew. The UK policy is that while they are in the military they are treated no differently than any other soldier. You can bet that Harry will be entering as an officer and he WILL be deployed to Iraq. His unit will not recieve any special treatment.
Well, best of luck to him when/if he does go, then. A prince of England in Iraq, though... He will be a prime target if it becomes known that he's there and where his unit is.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Rogue 9 wrote: Well, best of luck to him when/if he does go, then. A prince of England in Iraq, though... He will be a prime target if it becomes known that he's there and where his unit is.
No doubt. And I pity his unit if they draw extra fire because of him. Hopefully the UK will keep his deployment hush-hush. From what Rob Wilson has said in the Mess the UK takes that kind of thing very seriously and doesn't release the names of those deployed.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote: Well, best of luck to him when/if he does go, then. A prince of England in Iraq, though... He will be a prime target if it becomes known that he's there and where his unit is.
No doubt. And I pity his unit if they draw extra fire because of him. Hopefully the UK will keep his deployment hush-hush. From what Rob Wilson has said in the Mess the UK takes that kind of thing very seriously and doesn't release the names of those deployed.
Indeed. It is also worth noting that Prince Phillip, the Prince Consort served in action on HMS Warspite at Matapan and saw those Italain cruisers be obliterated. He later commanded a destroyer of some sort, an old V&W class iirc. Britian's Kings have led armies int he past, but the last Monarch to personally command the army in combat was George II at Dettingen.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Exmoor Cat
Jedi Knight

Post by Exmoor Cat »

One of the Queens cousins was killed whilst flying in WW2 and Lord Mountbatten, another cousin had his ship (HMS Kelly) sunk during the Crete campaign.

Also, Prince Edward completed marine training, but left shortly afterwards .
Heavy Armour Brigade - Queens Own Paranormal Animals

Evil Brit Conspiracy - Sneakipeaky Mapping Agency
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Exmoor Cat wrote:One of the Queens cousins was killed whilst flying in WW2 and Lord Mountbatten, another cousin had his ship (HMS Kelly) sunk during the Crete campaign.

Also, Prince Edward completed marine training, but left shortly afterwards .
Wasn't there an heir to the throw who's plane went down in Wales during WWII?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet