The Twilight War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

paladin3030
Redshirt

Post by paladin3030 »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
paladin3030 wrote:Hey Stravo when is the next chapter comeing out?

*takes out 36" dildoe and proceeds to sodomize Pal3k, burning his holiness*

Have patience or suffer further! :evil:
"Breaks away from Soontir & grabs his .44 Walker"

Do you want a .44 enema? :twisted:

but seeing that this is a Colt .44 Walker the most powerful handgun ever built more powerful then the .44 Magnum & you already know what that gun can do, just imagine what my Walker will do. :kill:

So do you feel lucky? Well do ya punk? :finger:
"And remember what Confucius says: Panties not best thing on earth, panties next to best thing on earth."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

graps a board with nail in. Smacks both Soniter and Paladin.

Knock it off.
paladin3030
Redshirt

Post by paladin3030 »

Crazedwraith wrote:graps a board with nail in. Smacks both Soniter and Paladin.

Knock it off.
:lol: :wink: Ouch Alright already you don't need to get violent. :P :wink:
"And remember what Confucius says: Panties not best thing on earth, panties next to best thing on earth."
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Alright, lets cut it out or there'll be no chapters for you.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Stravo wrote:Alright, lets cut it out or there'll be no chapters for you.
Huzzah! Now for more Cain and Abel!(nothing against this story, but I'm just into that one more than even starcrossed)
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
paladin3030
Redshirt

Post by paladin3030 »

Stravo wrote:Alright, lets cut it out or there'll be no chapters for you.
Ok, ok we were just kidding around after all we.......Hey.........WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!!!! Shouldn't you be writing the next chapter now. :D

Yeah? well

:evil: :twisted: GET TO WORK YOU LAZY BUM!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil:
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

People SHUT THE FUCK UP! Anyone more useless spam will simply be deleted.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Chapter 19:The Webs We Weave

“And oftentimes, to win us to our harm,
The instruments of darkness tell us truths,
Win us with honest trifles, to betray’s
In deepest consequence.”
Macbeth Act1 Scene iii

“I’m not sure I can answer your question in a way that would satisfy you, Count.” Picard stated evenly as he watched Count Dooku closely. Hovering over the center of the circular conference table, the holographic image of the gun camera footage was playing in a loop. The image of Kirk’s Enterprise looming for a moment as the fighter made its pass and then vanishing.

“That is not the answer I was looking for Captain.” Dooku replied stonily.

“This is most disturbing. We lost many ships in that attack. This Enterprise was at the heart of the defense and the Republic forces were clearly working in concert with her. We can only conclude that there is some sort of alliance between this ship and the Republic.” Sev’Rance added.

“I assure you Count that we are as much in the dark as you are.” Picard interjected. “This vessel is not even from our time.”

“What are you saying?” Dooku asked furrowing his brow in confusion.

“There have been well documented instances of time travel in our galaxy. James Kirk’s starship was one of the first Federation starships to do so with startling regularity.” Data added.

“James Kirk? You’re saying that you know the man who commands this vessel?” Sev’Rance demanded.

“In a sense.” Picard answered in a guarded tone.

Dooku pursed his lips for a moment. He walked over to Picard and stood, arms crossed on his chest.

“Are you seriously trying to explain that this incident is a result of time travel?” he asked darkly.

Picard nodded.

“Why would I propose such a possibility if I did not have proof. James Kirk was a legendary starship captain nearly a century ago. His exploits are required reading in the academy and his missions have become the stuff of myths and tall tales. One of the facts about his command was that his starship occasionally encountered space time phenomenon.”

“You will excuse me if I find that explanation to be sorely lacking. There is not a single instance of time travel in the Republic’s long history.”

“From preliminary analysis of the stellar charts and data you provided Starfleet Stellar Cartography we have determined that your galaxy is remarkably stable in comparison to our own in the sense that there are little to no space time distortions. Subspace in this galaxy is almost predictable and untouched. This may account for your lack of time travel experience.” Data explained.

Dooku glanced back at Sev’Rance. She remained poker faced as she watched the crew.

“Count Dooku, do you seriously think Starfleet would try to double cross you at this juncture? We’re here to negotiate an alliance that will benefit both our cultures. An attack like this runs counter to everything the Federation believes in.” Riker added tersely. He did not like the accusatory tone coming from Dooku and his team, though he could understand the confusion.

Someone in Starfleet Temporal Authority would have some explaining to do. How in the hell did they not know Kirk and his ship would be popping in on them at this critical moment?

Picard rose and faced Dooku, absently adjusting his uniform he spoke.

“Count Dooku, if you wish I will provide you with all the data that we have on Kirk, his ship and time travel. But I think I can speak for my crew when I say that we are just as stunned as you are about this turn of developments.” Picard urged. “This alliance is obviously a monumental one between both of our societies. You’ve asked me to be understanding about the Separatist Union and all that we find troubling or puzzling about it. I ask you now to give us the same benefit of the doubt.”

“Dooku, there was much blood spilt in that battle. Three of our battleships annihilated with all hands.” The Neimodian Trade Federation representative added harshly.

“Count, you cannot forget the Mandalorians. They lost a battlecruiser and you know how they feel about casualties.” The Banking Guild representative added cautiously.

Dooku looked from each speaker to the other then back to Picard. His eyes examined Picard closely, as if dissecting him. The room was silent as the two men faced each other. The two dark Jedi that had told Dooku in the first place were standing quietly away from Dooku near the entrance to his personal office.

Janus, the younger of the two was watching Counselor Troi with a hooded gaze.

The one eyed dark Jedi, Bane, smirked softly.

“She’s not for you lad.” He whispered.

“You may be older, wiser and more powerful than me, but you sure as hell ain’t my father.” Janus protested sharply.

“Suit yourself but last time I checked, you were supposed to follow your feelings. You know the Force usually doesn’t lead you astray.”

Janus shook his head.

“The reason why you and I and whole bunch of others like us are here is because we don’t swallow what the Jedi are selling hook line and sinker.” Janus countered bitterly.

“Don’t you fret kid. When we’re finally ready the Jedi will hear from us and they’ll never forget the lesson we’re going to teach them. All their sins will be remembered.” Bane vowed darkly, anger seeping into his voice. Janus caught a hint of something as usual at the edge of Bane’s thoughts. The image of a woman and a child, they were crying, covered in filth and blood. Just as quickly as he picked it up, the image was gone like so much smoke.

Janus and Bane had traveled the galaxy for years now but he never knew what those memories were in reference to and Bane never asked Janus what drove him either.

Janus returned his gaze to Counselor Troi who looked up shyly at the sudden attention.

“Whatever happens in this war, you mark my words, that woman will be the most beautiful thing in it.” Janus whispered.

Bane rolled his single eye and sighed.

“Have your data on Captain Kirk and time travel sent to my personal system. I need to look at this before I make my decision.” Dooku concluded. He stepped up to Picard and leaned in close, so that his lips were nearly touching Picard’s left ear.

“Captain, I want to believe you. But I feel there is more to this and what you or I know. Be prepared for what can be revealed. There has been much blood shed this day and there are always consequences.” He whispered.

Picard turned his head slightly towards Dooku.

“If this is more than what it seems, I swear we will get to the bottom of this. But let’s not forget that we barely got through a Republic ambush of our own. It seems to me that we’re already in this together.”

Dooku nodded slowly and walked back to his office.

“Mr. Data.”

“I will coordinate the transfer of information.” Data replied.

“Will.” Picard motioned for his First Officer to come closer as the meeting slowly broke up. Some of the Separatist Union representatives were eyeing the Enterprise crew with suspicion.

“Sir.” Riker replied quickly walking with his captain.

“We need to find out what the hell is going on here. There’s no record of a mission where Kirk fought a battle in this galaxy. I want you to get in communication with Starfleet command, report what we discovered and see if we can’t get Temporal Authority to give us some idea what is happening.”

“One thing that bothers me sir is if are living an alternate time line we wouldn’t even know that anything was different.” Riker pointed out with concern. It was the one thing that always bothered Riker about time travel. Aside from the philosophical and metaphysical implications, just the fact that you could be living in an alternate frame of reference and never have a clue. It always sent a chill up his spine.

Picard nodded then his eyes brightened as a thought occurred to him.

“Guinan!” he exclaimed.

“Sir?” Riker asked slightly confused.

“Will, Guinan has a…way about her that I cannot completely understand. But if anyone can tell us that there might be something wrong she can. Go back to the ship and speak to Guinan. Ask her if she feels anything wrong about how events are unfolding.”

“Sir, wouldn’t that task be something you’re better at dealing with?” Riker asked.

Picard shook his head but smiled.

“You’re not sure whether to believe me or not Will. Unfortunately, I have to stay here close to Dooku in case anything happens. I trust you to get the job whether you believe in it or not. After all you’re not considered the finest first officer in the fleet for nothing.”

Riker smirked and regarded Picard with a bemused expression.

“Flattery will get you everywhere with me.”

“One more thing, Will. Be discrete. I have a feeling there is much more to this than a simple misunderstanding. Too many coincidences.”

“Understood.” Riker replied and slapped his combadge. “One to beam up.” Riker vanished in a swirling stream of light.

“Counselor.”

“Sir?” she replied, distracted by the intense young man watching her intently from the other side of the room.

“I will need you now more than ever during these negotiations. If I know Dooku, he will start playing his cards close to his chest after this event. I will need you to help me feel him out for any subterfuge or anger in the negotiations. If they continue that is.”

“Of course Captain.” She replied and her eyes slowly turned back to the young man. He stood, arms crossed and gaze fixed on her. There was something magnetic about his gaze and she forced herself to look away. Even if the gaze did not hide anything his feelings for her were abundantly clear. They radiated from him in pulsing waves.

“Are you alright Counselor?” Picard asked.

“Yes…yes, Captain. I’m sorry, just clearing my mind for what is to come.” She replied hesitantly and walked away.

The Klingon grunted and fell back as the bat’leth pushed past his defenses and the blunt end impacted against his chest.

Sisko recovered his bat’leth but another Klingon seemingly melted out of the shadows behind the human and raised its bat’leth for a killing stroke again the back of Sisko’s head.

Worf spun on his right heel and swept his bat’leth down low and caught the attacking Klingon unawares, sending him sprawling down to the ground, following through with a precise stroke the severed the main artery of the neck and was rewarded with a fountain like display of purple pink blood.

Worf roared in triumph.

Benjamin Sisko wiped sweat from his brow and rested on his bat’leth for a moment as he tried to catch his breath. Though well conditioned, his Starfleet training regimen did not include extensive melee combat routines.

He was trying to round out his workout routine as well as establish closer ties with his tactical officer.

Still it wasn’t easy.

“Computer freeze program.” Sisko gasped as he finally stood up.

“You fought well Captain, for a human of course.” Worf said with a smile.

“Oh? I thought I was keeping up with you there until the end.”

“True, but this is my warm up chapter. We have not truly started the program.”

Sisko did a double take.

“This is what you consider stretching before your work out?” Sisko asked incredulously.

Worf shrugged.

“I did not want you to get hurt. Besides it looks as if you got the work out you were looking for.”

Sisko shook his head.

“Mr. Worf I—“ the com panel in the holosuite beeped insistently.

“Go ahead.”

“Captain, the Mandalorian representative wants to see you.” Quark said.

“Well, tell him I’ll be down in a moment.”

“Uh, when he found out where you were he went up of his own accord.”

“And you didn’t ask him to wait?” Worf snapped.

“You tell that guy to wait. He looks as if he would just as soon kill you as talk to you.” Quark replied. “I just want to let you know.”

“Well thank you, Quark.” The doors to the holosuite snapped open and Tantos Dree, representative of the Mandalorians strode in. “It’s much appreciated.” Sisko finished and clicked off the intercom.

“Tantos. I was going to some down if you were willing to wait a few minutes.” Sisko began to explain.

“I’ve heard much about these holosuites of yours.” Tantos replied as he examined his surroundings. The program was still frozen. They seemed to be inside of a large underground tunnel network, dark grey stone and earth interrupted by the occasional outcroppings of quartz like crystal that glowed intermittingly from within which was the only source of illumination in the tunnel.

Tantos ran a hand slowly along one of the walls of the cavern, his eyes alight with interest.

“It is amazing. My senses are completely fooled an I am trying to feel the truth.” Tantos looked over at Sisko. “Simple tricks of light and force fields?”

“That’s about it.” Sisko replied. “Its been fooling Federation citizens for a generation.”

“Remarkable. Truly remarkable.” Tantos breathed. He glanced around at the fallen corpses and knelt by one of the Klingons. He reached out and touched one of the bodies. “Fascinating, still warm to touch.”

“I’m sure you’re not here to marvel at our facilities.” Worf noted.

Tantos’ head did not move but his eyes tracked up and regarded Worf with a quiet measured calm. It was an odd expression that made Sisko feel as if they were always in extreme danger around this man at all times.

“No, I’m not.” He answered simply. He looked back down at the fallen Klingon and rose up slowly.

“I’m here to announce that the final upgrades are being finished. Deep Space Nine will officially be ready for duty in six hours.”

“That was fast.” Sisko noted.

“I have been pushing our construction teams to get the job done as quickly as possible. Until the refit was complete this station was vulnerable.” Tantos replied. He looked around curiously for a moment then looked back at Sisko. “Perhaps we can run this program again?” he asked.

Worf exchanged a glance with Sisko.

“Oh, I assure you that I can handle myself, and I promise not to use blasters in here.”

“This scenario is a test of melee weapons skill. Are you familiar with the Klingon bat’leth?” Worf asked. Tantos nodded as he placed the toes of his left foot underneath the edge of the bat’leth of a fallen warrior and casually kicked it up. The bat’leth spun up and Tantos reached out and snatched it from the air. He held it at a guard position across his chest. He examined the heft of the blade and its balance.

“I am familiar with most of the weapons of this quadrant, the bat’leth is a cumbersome and clumsy weapon, too heavy and slow but devastatingly effective once it connects with the target.”

Worf frowned slightly.

“I think we’re ready Mr. Worf. Adjust for three people.” Sisko said coolly as he watched Tantos closely. The Mandalorian was usually the picture of calm reserve, his outbursts of emotion were relegated to joyful boasts so far. But Sisko sensed something else in the man today.

“Computer, restart program, set for three participants.” Worf ordered.

The scenery wavered for a moment, the fallen Klingons vanished. Just as suddenly as they vanished Klingons appeared at each end of the tunnel roaring at they charged them. Sisko hefted up his bat’leth and caught the strike meant for his throat, he pushed the blade down and away as he countered with a kick up into the attacking Klingon’s sternum.

Tantos spun out of the path of a charging Klingon, gracefully pivoted on his right foot, shoulders dropped as he spun and caught the next Klingon in the chest with a shoulder strike, left arm whipped up with an elbow right into the Klingon’s throat. The Klingon gasped, dropping its bat’leth and fell to its knees, grasping at its ruined throat.

Worf grunted as the Klingon that Tantos sidestepped stumbled right into Worf’s left side, ruining his perfect parry of an attacking Klingon. His assailant’s bat’leth managed to graze Worf’s cheek, drawing blood. Worf growled lowly and countered with a quick thrust of his bat’leth into the Klingon’s midsection and sent it sprawling backwards.

Tantos danced between two Klingons, everyone seemed to be moving a step slower than the Mandalorian, and delivered a swipe at the feet of one Klingon sending it to the ground where a lightning like strike from his right leg snapped the fallen Klingon’s neck. Tantos ended up back to back with Sisko who was struggling valiantly with a Klingon warrior fully a head taller than he was.

“Despite protests from my engineers, I ordered them to armor key sections of the habitat ring. This will allow your civilian and non essential personnel to take refuge in these armored areas during battle. Though it is doubtful anything short of an armada will be bringing down your new shield grid.” Tantos stated evenly as he ducked under a roundhouse swipe of a bat’leth and slipped in under the Klingon’s reach and delivered a precise stabbing strike into the Klingon’s under arm.

“That was thoughtful of you. Tell me, why did you do it? Your engineers were adamant that armoring the habitat ring would only add unnecessary time to the work schedule. As I recall, the Banking Guild representative suggested we simply leave the civilians behind when the station moves to its final position.” Sisko asked as he finally broke the attack of the taller Klingon and drove the blunt edge of his bat’leth up into the Klingon’s chin, catapulting him off his feet and onto the ground, where another blunt ended strike drove its head back into the stone floor and into unconsciousness.

“I know you had strong feelings about maintaining as much of your station’s normal life as possible during the transition. I can respect that.” Tantos replied.

“Are you trying to curry favor with me?” Sisko asked pointedly while parrying a series of strokes from another Klingon.

Tantos was quiet as he drove another Klingon to its knees and brought his bat’leth up around his left shoulder then snapped it downward, decapitating the Klingon.

“You come here despite the fact that you and I had a meeting scheduled in two hours. The news could have waited until then. You tell me all the things you have done for me. What am I supposed to think Tantos?” Sisko asked as he found an opening in his final assailant’s attacks and exploited it with an explosive combination of strikes. The Klingon groaned and went down to the ground face first.

Tantos turned suddenly and his bat’leth was at Sisko’s throat. Sisko’s eyes widened but he could not bring his own weapon up in time. Tantos’ grip tightened on the Bat’leth and the bladed edge nestled in close to Sisko’s skin, blood welling up on the blade’s tip.

The Mandalorian’s eyes narrowed on Sisko.

“Captain!” Worf shouted, but his final attacker would not relent and Worf was distracted by the attacks.

“I have done everything in my power to assure that this station and your crew would be well protected and ready for what lies out there. I spent time away from my men and my fleet in order to insure that this mission was a success. I even shared some of my private thoughts with you because I saw in you a kindred spirit.”

“What’s this about?” Sisko asked slowly, feeling the blade in his flesh. Tantos only needed to increase pressure ever so slightly and he would sever an artery.

“Computer end program!” Worf shouted and the Klingons and the cave vanished. He began to surge forward but Sisko held up a hand.

“So tell me, when did you decide to betray my trust? Did you think because I was loud and brash that I was like these Klingons. Eager warriors with nothing but blood and glory in mind.” Tantos spat, his eyes, like lasers burned into Sisko’s.

“No. I always thought that underneath all that façade you so carefully crafted the moment you stepped on my station that you were a stone cold killer.” Sisko replied coldly.

Tantos silently examined Sisko.

“If you really believed that you should have had me killed before you betrayed us. Now your life is forfeit and I will not stop there. Betrayal will not be tolerated.

“Before you kill me I suggest you ask me about this betrayal. A stone cold killer you may be but I never figured you for a reckless murderer.” Sisko replied calmly.

“You deny it then? Even now with cold steel at your throat?” Tantos snapped.

“I deny any sort of betrayal. I have no idea what you are talking about. I currently have seventeen Starfleet directives ordering me in not so many words to do just about anything to make sure this alliance works. Why the hell would I do otherwise?”

“Hours ago, a Separatist fleet on a secret strike mission deep behind Republic lines was destroyed. They encountered an alien vessel during the attack. The alien vessel was unmistakably Federation in origin.”

“That’s just not possible.” Sisko interjected.

“The vessel was identified as having the registry number NCC-1701 and named Enterprise.”

Sisko’s eyes narrowed.

“Are you sure about the number?”

“I am absolutely certain.”

“Kirk’s ship?” Worf asked incredulously. Tantos’ eyes darted over to Worf then back to Sisko.

“So, you even know the scum responsible.” He breathed. His grip tightened and the blade tensed on Sisko’s throat. The blood welling on the tip was now starting to slide down the bat’leth blade.

“His name is James T. Kirk, a personal hero of mine and he lived nearly a century ago.”

Tantos paused.

“A century?”

“Yes, he died a long time ago. His ship was named Enterprise. If you recall, the vessel carrying out our diplomatic mission into your space is named Enterprise. The registry number is the same ending with the letter ‘E’. This denotes that the ship is the sixth to have the name.” Sisko explained.

“Then how is this attack possible?”

“I honestly don’t know, but you have my word as a Starfleet officer that I will do my best to find out for you and prove to you that we did not betray you.”

Tantos looked from Worf to Sisko and pursed his lips.

“Several Mandalorians died in that battle, including an old friend. We do not take casualties lightly Captain.”

“I know. You’re people are dying.”

“Indeed they are.”

“Then let me help you. You helped me by making my station safe and letting me keep my crew and people here. I want to return the favor and find out what the hell is going on here. But the only way I can do that is if you take that blade away from my throat.”

The two men’s eyes locked for a long moment. Worf tensed. He did not think he could cross the distance and stop the Mandalorian in time.

“I will take you at your word.” Tantos said softly and the bat’leth clattered to the ground.

Sisko rubbed his neck.

“Tell me something Tantos.”

Tantos looked at Sisko expectantly.

“When did you figure out that we didn’t betray you.”

“Excuse me?”

Sisko nodded to the bat’leth. “You could have killed me at any time and you don’t strike me as the kind of man that allows someone to talk his way out of a death sentence once you have your mind set on something.”

Tantos said nothing but Sisko could see a flicker of respect in the cold grey eyes.

“You could have killed both of us at will. You didn’t. You came here looking for answers and I believe you got them.”

“I know a good and honorable man when I meet one, Benjamin Sisko. If anyone was going to tell me the truth it would have been you.”

“You did this on a whim?” Worf snapped angrily.

“I do nothing on a whim Klingon. Don’t ever forget that. I needed to know the truth.”

“And you couldn’t go to your own people?”

Tantos smiled grimly.

“Perhaps you can leave us for a moment, Mr. Worf?” Tantos suggested but there was no hint of it being anything but an order.

Worf began to protest but Sisko nodded. Worf shook his head and stepped out of the holosuite, openly glaring at Tantos as the doors slid shut.

“You remember that I warned you in regards to our allies?”

“Yes, I did. They have shown me nothing but cooperation and restraint.”

“That is their way. You see we have true believers among us Benjamin Sisko. We have patriots and zealots but we also have something else.”

“You think someone is manipulating the Separatists.” Sisko concluded darkly.

“To speak of such things is tantamount to a death sentence so you can never repeat this to anyone, including those among your Starfleet.”

“Then why tell me?”

“Because I trust you and I don’t want to see you walk into the same trap so many others have. Dooku is a good enough man but those that surround him are rather nebulous in terms of their allegiances. Sev’Rance Tan for one is a dangerous woman. I have never seen her species before in my travels yet in a matter of months she has ascended to a position of power that places her in direct ascension after Dooku. She sports a lightsaber even though I can find no record of her being a Jedi anywhere. There is much more to her than meets than eye and just recently she has begun gathering dark and fallen Jedi to her. They say it’s Dooku but this smells of Sev’Rance.”

“What are you saying then? Are you trying to imply that there is a coup in the works?”

Tantos watched Sisko closely and sighted softly.

“I only have suspicions and my instinct. Point in fact there is no evidence that Sev’Rance is nothing more than what she claims she is, a loyal servant to her Master, Count Dooku.”

“But you’re someone that relies on your gut more than your head.” Sisko added with a soft smile.

“Indeed.”

“If there is a coup in the works there is no way I cannot tell Starfleet. We’re about to enter a war that could inflict horrific casualties and our ally might be caught up in some coup attempt.”

“There will be no coup attempt. But there are shadow agendas at work Captain.”

“How can you be so sure? It certainly smells like a coup.”

“I have been involved in coups and insurgencies most of my life. This does not have the feeling of one. There is a different agenda at work here and I’m afraid we’re all caught up in it.” Tantos took a deep breath and stepped close to Sisko.

“Listen closely Captain. This is the twilight of my people. Where once Mandalorian warriors were scattered across the galaxy we now count ourselves by the hundreds. We will not survive this war. I for one intend to make sure that we die on our feet and not on our knees. But you do not have to suffer the same fate. I feel a kindred spirit in you. You remind me of my son, strong, quiet but passionate. Loyal to a fault and steadfast in resolution. I need an ally like you in the coming days.”

Sisko looked into the older man’s grey eyes and saw iron resolve in his gaze, more importantly no hint of deception whatsoever.

“And you also need to understand something more grave ahead for you and your Federation.”

“Oh?”

“When it becomes obvious that your Federation from a hundred years ago is warring against us and allied with the Republic how soon do you think it will take the leadership to demand that your Federation step in and stop them?”

Sisko’s eyes narrowed.

“My god, you’re talking about a civil war.”

“A civil war the likes of which no one has seen before that will cross the ages and pit descendent against ancestor.” Tantos stated grimly.

“A temporal civil war.” Sisko breathed.

“So you see Captain, this war may be the twilight of my people but it may also mean the twilight of your Federation. Are you prepared for what is to come? Because we will need to stand together you and I if we are to face the trails ahead.”

Sisko could not say anything. He slumped against the wall of the holosuite as he contemplated a disaster the likes of which the Federation had never faced before.

Picard rose from his seat as Dooku stepped into the small office. Dooku had summoned him there after a few hours of reviewing the information Data provided concerning Kirk and time travel phenomenon.

The summons was abrupt and unexpected.

The others were sure Dooku would make his decision public. However the servant that asked for Picard made it clear it would be a private audience.

“Count.”

“Captain.” Dooku replied and Picard could see the lines around his eyes and brows. Dooku seemed to be aging before his very eyes since he arrived here. The stress he was under must have been monumental.

“Captain, I must apologize for this informality but I could think of no other way of relaying this information to you without seriously alarming my allies.”

“What is the matter?” Picard asked seriously.

Dooku sat down slowly, sweeping his cape behind him. He activated a holographic projector at the center of the table.

“I have spies on Coruscant. I have come to depend on them heavily as the only real advantage we have in this war so far has been our superior intelligence gathering which allows us to know where the Republic is going to strike and we can gather our defenses there.”

Picard nodded.

“I rarely ask for confirmation because they have always been reliable. This time I demanded it because the very idea was…astounding to say the least.”

“I don’t understand Count.”

Dooku sighed softly again and wordlessly touched a control on the projector. Picard watched the images unfurl before him. He recognized Supreme Chancellor Palpatine from the intelligence briefings Dooku and Sev’Rance provided. His eyes slowly widened as several figures came into sharp focus.

“That’s not possible.” Picard exclaimed.

“These images are no more than 24 hours old. It clearly shows that there is a Federation presence on Coruscant and with the information Mr. Data has provided I have put faces to names.”

“Captain Kirk, Spock…my god they’re all there.” Picard gasped as he watched Starfleet legends standing around the Chancellor, in their old gold and blue uniform shirts.

Dooku nodded sadly but then stiffened with resolve as he paused the image. He fixed Picard with a stern gaze.

“Captain, I must know now. Will the Federation stand with us now knowing that they are responsible for allying themselves with the Republic and killing thousands of Separatist troops a hundred years ago?”

Picard sat back in his chair in stunned silence.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Nice...good set up for Picard and Sisko vs Kirk and their thoughts of that side.

I enjoy this particualr fic because it is a different flavour then Starcrossed and glad to see it come along so well.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Excellant work. A thought just occured to me, you could have Spock in both groups. :d Old TNG Spock vs TOS Spockj would be a fascinating combination.

I also still don't know who your going to get Picard and Sisko to take on Kirk, its against their morals, Sisko might for the greater good but Picard? Never.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Crazedwraith wrote:Excellant work. A thought just occured to me, you could have Spock in both groups. :d Old TNG Spock vs TOS Spockj would be a fascinating combination.
That one's in the works

I also still don't know who your going to get Picard and Sisko to take on Kirk, its against their morals, Sisko might for the greater good but Picard? Never.
Its not so much them taking on Kirk as it is trying to right a wrong. The Federation of the past has obviously allied themselves with 'bad guys' and they are responsible for a growing number of deaths. They feel responsble and want to stop it. The TOS era will see it in another light. A future that is trying to dominate the past, a future BTW with a Federation very unlike the one in TOS. So they have to wonder, are we fighitng an evil future version of ourselves?

Besides, to paraphrase Darth Sidious "I will make it happen."

Don't underestimate what the two Sith are willing to do to get this to happen. Besides there's other revelations coming up that will make this brewing temporal civil war more interesting for both sides.

Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Chapter 20: Fly me to the Moon

“They say, best men are moulded out of faults
And for the most, become much more the better
For being a little bad.”
Measure for Measure Act 5, Scene i

Christopher Pike stood impassively watching the night sky. The stars winked and twinkled as they had done since the dawn of time. The moon, no longer a silent white orb in the sky was busy with light, steel and starship traffic crossing its face every passing moment. He remembered his grandfather telling him of a time when the moon was simply unmarred and immaculate white in the night sky.

Now Luna City shone like a beacon and a promise that man would no longer allow himself to be shackled to one world. Humanity was out among the stars now and they would never look back.

Pike sighed softly.

Sometimes he wondered whether there was folly in this headlong mad dash into the unknown. It was a sentiment that was viewed with almost derisive distaste by many of his fellow starship captains. But then again they had served faithfully in a Starfleet that mostly patrolled well known reaches of space. Not many had gone out on the growing series of five year missions.

The Enterprise and her sister ships were the first starships to go out on these missions into the unknown, far from hearth and home. They probed the vastness of the void beyond Federation space and sometimes they found such joys and wonders to make a man’s heart soar and then there were times that the universe rewarded their curiosity with brutal violence.

There was nothing worse than feeling your lifeblood spill out on alien soil and lose your life far from home with no hope of ever seeing it again. Those were the deaths that remained in Pike’s mind even now. The expression on the faces of all those young crewmen, and they seemed to be getting younger every year, as they came to the sudden and painful realization that life was going to end for them and they would never see the skies of home again. To die under alien stars was a concept that many people did not consider when they thought of the adventure and excitement that the five year missions promised.

He knew. He was one of those seduced by that siren call only to come back home now, an empty scarred man. Adventure was for the young and reckless. He was no longer either.

“Chris.”

Pike paused in his thoughts and smiled softly but did not turn around.

“I’m sorry Robert. I didn’t mean to get you up so late.”

“I’m old, Chris. Sleep doesn’t come so easily anymore and when it does, it rarely stays for long.” Robert April aid with a soft chuckle as he stood beside Pike and examined the young man’s face for a moment before turning his attention to the night sky as well.

“Sometimes I wish I still had another mission in me.” April commented wistfully.

Pike eyed the older man.

“You still say that even knowing what you know?” Pike asked.

April nodded.

“To be sure, its dangerous out there. I’ll never forget the first time I lost a crewman. Lieutenant Victor DeLaGuardia. We beamed down to Vesta Corinis, beautiful gem of a planet. It was the first away mission outside of known space. We hardly knew what we were doing, overly cautious yet curious as hell. We scanned everything, eyes wide as we breathed alien air and heard alien noises.”

Pike closed his eyes for a moment. His memories drifted back to his first away mission.

“We did cross sections on all known alien wildlife, pollination analysis to make sure their plants weren’t poisonous to breath or touch, we knew the landing area cold. I was so damned confident that this first away mission would go off without a hitch.”

Pike listened quietly.

“Godamned landslide. Can you believe that? Poor Victor is standing there one minute showing me a plant that changed color depending on the ambient temperature and suddenly two boulders come crashing down over the cliff face that we were working under and hit Victor. He was crushed and killed instantly.”

I stood over him and held his hand as we tried to get the boulders off of him for treatment but he was gone. I could tell from the way he felt when I took his hand.”

Pike nodded, well aware of precisely what Robert meant.

“In the end it was a brutal but effective lesson.”

“And that is?”

“You should know this Chris.” April gently chided. “You can never know what the universe has in store for you. You can only plan as best you can and hope that it’s enough.”

“Sometimes I think its better that we don’t tempt fate at all.”

April nodded slowly.

“I felt the same way that night alone in my quarters. You know how alone it can be in that center seat. Everyone looking to you for a decision that could end their lives. When someone dies it’s all on your shoulders. The buck stops with us and God. Save that on a starship we’re also God so in the end it’s just us.”

Pike smiled softly to himself. April was a religious man. It was hard to find that breed in the new Starfleet.

“But something else was brought to my attention by Gwendolyn.”

Pike waited expectantly. April touched Pike’s forearm and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“That young man chose to be there. He knew he could die, he knew the risks involved and he went anyway. It is not for you and I to decide what was best for them. They know what they’re getting into Christopher. You are just there to help them on their way. It is in the nature of man to reach out beyond what he knows, to try and find out just what’s over the next hill.”

Christopher nodded but frowned.

“The problem is Robert that sometimes what’s over that hill may not be meant to be known. I fully believe in the old saying that past this point, here be dragons.” Pike replied and looked back up at the stars.

“What is truly bothering you?” April asked softly and looked at his old pupil and friend.

Pike wordlessly handed April a datapad. April looked down and activated it. He slowly scrolled down the nest rows of text, eyes widening slightly as he continued reading.

“And don’t tell me you don’t know about this. I have my friends back at Command and they told me flatly that you were the sole name at the top of the list for Admiral.” Christopher added darkly.

April looked up slowly and sighed deeply.

“Christopher, nothing was written in stone and I was certainly not aware that you would be placed here as Commodore. Although I supposed that if I asked for the best it would have to have been you.” April said with a rueful shake of his head.

“How could you, Robert.” Pike snapped.

“Damnit Christopher you’re acting as if I’m one of these clueless Command bureaucrats who spent their careers filing our paperwork and shuffling datapads. I know what you’ve been through, and frankly you had it easier than I did. We didn’t have tricorders, we didn’t have transporters that were anywhere near as reliable as yours, we didn’t have the medical technology that you had. The medical database that your doctor used to help patch your men together was based on our medical records from the first five year mission. We were actually in unknown space, I spent two consecutive years outside of radio contact from the farthest Federation outpost. Don’t preach to me of the horrors of space travel. I lived it damnit and I will not allow you to belittle that fact because you think you’re the first Captain to discover that losing crewmen is not easy.” April stood chest to chest glaring into Christopher’s eyes. He put his finger into Pike’s chest and punctuated each word of his next sentence with a firm poke of his finger.

“I blazed the trail. You followed in my footsteps.”

Pike’s nostrils flared as he returned April’s harsh glare.

“I’m sorry if you feel that way Robert but you should have told me.”

“Why? You’re a Starfleet officer and you go where you’re told. I retired and they brought me back for this.”

Pike frowned and looked away for a moment.

“What is it Chris? Do you think that a mission like this is unimportant? We’re Starfleet and as much as I am loath to admit it, we’re her soldiers when she needs us.”

“I was going to resign tomorrow.”

April blinked and took a step back in stunned silence.

“I didn’t know.” He said softly.

“No one knew. I didn’t even know myself until I handed the Enterprise over to James Kirk. When I stepped off that ship all I could feel was a deep abiding relief, Robert. As if the weight of the world were lifted off my shoulders. I felt free and I wanted to keep feeling that way.”

April shook his head sadly.

“Christopher. What you felt was a transitory thing. You would have been relieved for a year or two but every time you looked up at that sky you would yearn to be among those pinpoints of light again.”

Christopher examined his old teacher’s face closely as he spoke.

“So, that’s what you felt when you retired?”

“Oh hell yes, Christopher. Gwendolyn walked away from Starfleet with me and she never looked back. I always suspected she journeyed in space for as long as she did because she wanted to be by my side. You see, she’s a creature of green and seas and earth, god bless her. I, I am a child of the stars. I always have been. And so are you.” April noted sternly. “We belong up there. And I can’t say I reacted badly to this assignment. I’m back in the center seat again.”

“It doesn’t bother you that we’re being assigned to the First Federation Expeditionary Fleet? We’re going to war, Robert.” Pike replied softly.

April nodded.

“That we are, son. But she calls and we have to answer. We cannot choose our assignments. The way I see it, we’ve seen some of the wonders and miracles this universe has to offer, more than our fair share I wager. Now it’s time to see some of the horrors as well.”

“That’s what frightens me more than anything Robert. I was willing to walk away from the Federation because of the deaths of my crew. Now you’re talking about me being a second in your fleet that will most likely engage in a very bloody war.”

“Yes. I am asking you to do your duty as a Starfleet officer. Part of that duty is to conquer your fears, Chris. You can ask yourself this question – Do I remain here as a man who will always wonder what if and yearn for those stars but remain safe and sound, never having to face the deaths of those I care about and command, or do I do my duty, face my fears and really find out what kind of man I am.” April put a fatherly hand on Pike’s shoulder.

“The journey out there Chris is also a journey in here.” Robert placed a hand over Christopher’s heart. “To find out just who you are and what you stand for. Sometimes we may not like the answer but in the end I would rather know than not. Self discovery is the greatest adventure any person could ever undertake.”

Christopher closed a hand over Robert’s.

“Thanks. I just wish I had the faith that you have.”

“I’m an old man without much to lose. You’re the one who has a bright future out there waiting for him. So what do you say, Christopher? Will Commodore Pike join me on this, my final mission to serve and protect the Federation in her hour of need, or will Christopher Pike tender his resignation and do an old man a favor and watch over his wife while he’s gone?”

Christopher looked into Robert’s eyes for a long moment. The silence was a soothing song between them.

Christopher suddenly snapped a crisp salute.

“Commodore Christopher Pike reporting for duty sir. It will be an honor serving in your fleet.”

Robert April laughed and embraced him. Christopher looked embarrassed.

“That’s hardly part of protocol.”

“Oh piss on protocol Christopher, wait until you see my uniform.” April winked.

“You didn’t.” Pike smiled in spite of himself.

April nodded as he adjusted his sweater. Robert April was infamous for bucking the trend when it came to uniforms. He believed in comfort over style and as such during his five year mission embroidered the Starfleet command insignia on his Cardigan sweaters, wearing them at post throughout the mission and returning to Starfleet command wearing them.

Such was his fame and power when he returned that Starfleet turned a blind eye to his eccentricity. That age of the great commanders being allowed certain leeway in their duties was quickly fading with the new Starfleet. Sometimes Christopher thought it was better that way, but whenever he spent anytime with Robert he thought that maybe the end of an era was upon them.

“You know something. Before we leave I’d like to do something.”

“What’s that?”

Pike looked up at the moon.

“I’d look to go to the moon before I leave. I’ve never been there.” Pike admitted sheepishly.

April nodded with an impish smile on his face.

“Good, neither have I.”

Pike looked up sharply.

“You?! They have a park up there named after you. The Enterprise launched from the moon on her first tour. You have to be kidding me!”

April shook his head and laughed.

“I never got around to it. Maybe it is that time now that we may not be back for some time.”

“Excuse me but what are you two doing out here at this time of night?” A female voice demanded frostily.

“Oh, nothing dear. There was no reason for you to get up.” Robert protested.

Gwendolyn April huffed up to the two men wrapped in an overcoat over her nightgown. She eyed both men in mock outrage.

“Both men that mean everything to me in the world go off in the middle of the night and you expect me to stay in bed? I didn’t hear you complaining when I got off my duff and saved you from those Batran Night flyers.” Gwendolyn replied sardonically.

“Well…that was different I was your commanding officer after all.” Robert teased.

“Oh?” She replied pointedly.

Pike laughed. These two were a living breathing storybook romance. When she was younger Gwendolyn must have been a spitfire of a junior officer. He could see how Robert could fall in love with her so deeply and with abandon.

“Christopher and I are going to the moon.” He announced nonchalantly.

“Your age is showing Robert, only old timers call Luna the moon anymore.” She replied and sighed as she glanced from Robert to Christopher, glad to see that he was smiling again.

“I’d better go get you two something warm to wear.”

“You do know that the environment is regulated up there dear.” Robert called after her.

“So was the Enterprise and as I recall you never took your cardigans off you cold blooded old badger. You let someone that knows you better take care of you.” She replied with feigned world weariness.

Robert rolled his eyes.

“Women.”

“Can’t live with them.” Pike offered.

“Actually I would recommend it for you Chris. It inoculates you against the harshness of life.”

“I heard that.” Gwendolyn called back to them.

Jake Sisko floated in free fall. He watched the stars with a detached interest.

“Jake?”

“Huh?”

“You’ve been daydreaming since we got here.”

“Aren’t you in the least bit in awe, Nog?” Jake asked dreamily.

“Of your inability to control your motion in free fall?” Nog replied sarcastically while deftly avoiding Jake’s left leg.

“No.” Jake laughed. “We’re in another galaxy Nog! Those stars will never be seen from our galaxy. We’re officially at the farthest point any Federation citizen has ever been in history.”

“Yeah and so are the other hundreds of civilians and officers on this station. Not exactly a solo record breaker.” Nog snorted.

“You know what your problem is?” Jakes asked seriously as he tried to face Nog but spun out of control in the opposite direction. He slammed into the wall and used it to brace himself and face Nog.

Nog floated serenely as he watched his best friend making a fool of himself.

“What would that be?”

“You have no sense of adventure. No romantic streak in you. This is going to be an adventure unlike any we have ever been in. You want to talk about exploration, making contact with new cultures and new civilizations? This is it!” Jake exclaimed barely able to contain his excitement.

“First of all Jake you’re calling the first Ferengi in Starfleet someone who is not adventurous. Second of all before we go exploring and having adventures we have something else to do.”

“What?”

“We have a war to fight Jake. And from the looks of our defensive upgrades and the amount of starship traffic we’ve been getting its going to be bloody and long.” Nog replied. Punctuating his statement, ten starships suddenly appeared in a wild explosion of light outside the view port of the free fall chamber. They rapidly moved to join the veritable armada that was gathering outside of Deep Space Nine.

“Oh that.” Jake’s face fell.

“Yeah, that.” Nog replied with a frown.

“I’m going to try and get a berth on the Defiant when the armada heads out.” Jake added suddenly subdued.

“You do know the Defiant is slated to lead the 2nd wing of the 7th Armada.” Nog noted then rolled his eyed when he saw the blank expression on Jake’s face. “That means that the Defiant will most likely be at the heart of most of the early battles.”

“Oh.”

“I hope you know what you’re getting into, Jake.”

“What about you Nog? Do you know what you’re getting into?”

Nog nodded without hesitation.

“I was ready to fight and die against the Dominion and as far as I’m concerned I feel the same way about this war. Think about it Jake. The other side is almost the same as the Dominion.”

“How do you know that?”

Nog smirked. “Captain Sisko let me sit in on some of the briefing sessions. The Republic rules with an iron fist led by the dictator who calls himself a supreme chancellor. He has this secret police of mystical warriors called Jedi they use clones as their elite enforcers, sounds like Jem'Hedar to me, right?”

“Well yeah but doesn’t it bother you?”

“What? Fighting clones?”

“No, the fact that you’re only getting this information from our allies and we haven’t even tried to speak to the Republic.”

“Jake. They attacked the Enterprise without hesitation when it crossed over. There’s no talking to people like that. They need to be taken out if we’re going to see this galaxy open up for us.”

“I don’t like it at all. I’d love to get a shot at interviewing this Supreme Chancellor. Maybe start a column about life behind enemy lines.”

“Jake!” Nog snapped.

“What?”

“I see that look in your eye. You’re not just wishing it. If Captain Sisko were to even get a whiff of what you’re planning—”

“But he won’t, will he Nog?” Jake implored.

“Don’t play games, Jake. This is not a situation like we’ve faced in the Federation. Just hang out near those Mandalorians for awhile and you get a hint of what kind of fighting and enemy we’re facing.”

“I can’t get them to talk to me.” Jake sighed.

“They make Klingons feel uncomfortable, I like them. They are bad ass.”

“Bad ass?!”

“It’s a hu-mon phrase I picked up at the academy. I think it fits.”

Jake shook his head and laughed. However his thoughts began to work possibilities and the potential results of getting the other side of the story, putting a face to the faceless enemy. The writer in him was getting excited at the idea. Behind him two more starships transited the wormhole. The armada was growing.

“What do you mean you can’t find my beverage license?!” Quark exclaimed angrily.

“I told you Mr. Quark.” The Neimodian began again with a soft sigh.

“Just Quark will do.” Quark interrupted smarmily.

“Very well, Quark, after an exhaustive search of the station’s database and inquiries made on Bajor there is no record of your license to sell alcoholic and all manner of food and beverages. As you know, we in the Trade Federation have very stringent regulations regarding the sale of beverages and food stuffs due to the wide variety of life forms that may partake of your services.”

“You don’t have to tell me about life forms, why I’ve seen a veritable plethora of tentacles, limbs, eyes, you name it, I’ve seen it.” Quark announced dramatically as he swept a drink off a passing waiter’s tray. “Black hole?” Quark asked politely.

The Neimodian frowned down at the drink.

“Quark, I will be blunt since I feel that is the best way to get through to you. We cannot allow this bar to remain open unless you can provide this license.”

“But Sisko knows I have a license, they let me stay open without asking these questions.” Quark whined.

“Typical.” The Neimodian sighed. “Unfortunately for you, as part of our alliance we now must respect each other’s laws in our sovereign territories. This station is now stationed in Trade Federation territory, our troops use these facilities. We have a vested interest in this bar’s compliance with our regulations.”

“You’re troops are droids. What do you want me to provide, proof that my lubrication passed Trade Federation quality control?” Quark smirked.

“Sarcasm is not helping you, Quark. Right now you are on borrowed time. Captain Sisko is vouching for you---” Quark smiled. “barely.” He frowned. “We will not let you slip by as the previous management of this station has.”

“Wait a minute.” Quark snapped. “The PREVIOUS management?”

The Neimodian smiled coldly.

“Your Starfleet feels that they must focus all their attention on the coming war. We helpfully offered to intercede and assist in the management of the station’s trade network. With our enormous experience in management and trade it made perfect sense.”

“You helpfully offered, eh?” Quark muttered.

“I’m officially giving you notice Quark. You have one week’s time to get your papers in order or I will eject you from this prime piece of real estate. I have many business owners who would pay a premium for this place in comparison to the pittance you paid to your Starfleet managers.”

“They were good landlords.” Quark replied and surprisingly he found that he meant it.

“It is a pity really. Such a fine organization but aside from some noticeable exceptions they have a horrifyingly naive view of economics.”

“You should have seen them a hundred years ago.” Quark replied testily. He paused. Why was he so defensive of the Federation and their Starfleet? Maybe because he was finally seeing how good he had it.

“Oh?”

“A hundred years ago, the Federation had the Ferengi wondering if we could ever compete. They were aggressive, cut throats, it was wonderful. We actually avoided first contact because of we were afraid our interests would defect to them.”

‘Then?”

“Things change.” Quark shrugged.

“You don’t tell a very good story.” The Neimodian muttered.

“I’m a bartender, not a storyteller.” Quark replied. “Look about the license, what if I were to tell you that I purchased the license from the Cardasian authorities here.”

“Oh, you bribed a public official to allow you to do business here.” The Neimodian said with a smirk.

Quark blinked.

“Are you related to Constable Odo in anyway?” Quark asked.

The Neimodian blinked.

“Never mind.” Quark waved it away. “Look, I’m sure it’s somewhere in a Cardasian databank. Those people are sticklers for keeping paperwork and details.”

“We do not recognize licenses from enemy powers.”

“What are you talking about?”

“The Cardasians are at war with the Federation, thus at war with us. Is this really the best you can do, Ferengi?”

Quark’s eyes narrowed on the Neimodian.

“You’ll have your license by the end of the week. And don’t think I don’t realize what you’re doing here.” The Neimodian frowned. “I can pretty much guess that these merchants hankering to get my space are fellow Neimodians right? In fact I have a feeling that this new management will result in quite a few Trade Federation merchants on the Promenade.”

“You can speculate all you wish Quark, but if I don’t have that license by this time next week I will come here with droid troops and evict you.”

“Not very friendly of you.”

“We have found that it is unwise to allow those that cannot afford it to take resources and space away from those that do. Bad for business. You should know that Ferengi.”

“Oh I do. What’s your name by the way?”

“Haldus Morray.”

“I have a feeling this is going to be the start of a beautiful friendship.” Quark smirked.

“One week, Ferengi.” The Neimodian snapped and pointed to Quark’s chest. He turned on his heel and the two slim battle droids that had been standing at attention behind him throughout the conversation mechanically fell in line behind him.

“Uh…brother.”

Quark watched the Neimodian strut out of the bar followed by his metal marionettes.

“Brother?”

“What is it Rom!” Quark snapped.

“You have a transmission coming in.”

“Can you take a message? I have a bar to save.”

“It’s the Grand Nagus.” Rom replied reverently.

“Grand Nagus? Of course! He can save me from this!” Quark clapped his hands together and rushed to his office.

Quark eagerly activated his transmitter. The Grand Nagus’ face appeared on the monitor.

“Rom? I told you I wanted to speak to Quark.”

“I am Quark Grand Nagus Zek.”

“What? Oh, Quark. Good, Listen, I assume you’re having issues with the Trade Federation.”

Quark cocked his head to the side slightly and looked confused.

“How did you know that?”

“I’m the Grand Nagus! I’m supposed to know these things.” Zek protested.

“Seriously how did you know?” Quark pressed.

“For someone who claims to have the lobes you are rather dim sometimes Quark.”

“You?!” Quark exclaimed and stood up in a fury.

“Now that I have your attention you may listen to what I have to tell you.” Zek snorted.

“You could have just asked me to pay attention.” Quark sighed.

“Quark! Ferenginar is not exactly thrilled with this new alliance. The TRADE Federation? The BANKERS Guild? What does that sound like to you Quark?”

“Competition?”

“No you dolt. They’re Competition.” Nagus snapped. Quark opened his mouth to speak but decided against it.

“Quark you’re mission is a simple one. Try to find out all you can about this Trade Federation and open up relations with Ferenginar.”

“What? Why would we want to—”

“Funny Quark, I don’t recall telling you why. I don’t recall telling you much except what to do.”

“Of course.” Quark rolled his eyes. “Why me?”

“Because you’re closest to the situation, Quark. The Separatists are blocking access to the wormhole except for Federation traffic. We need to get a foot in the door in that galaxy Quark and sadly you are the Ferengis only hope.”

“So you thought that drawing their attention to my lack of a license was the right move?” Quark asked mournfully.

“Call it incentive Quark. I know you can do it. Grand Nagus out.”

Quark slowly rubbed his lobes and leaned back in his chair.

“This can only happen to me.” He moaned. “Quark, last best hope for the Ferengi.”

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Awesome stuff with Pike....and LOL...about the Quark bits there Stravo.

Nice :D

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

I actually prefer this to starcrossed. The early federation stuff is all great. It feels right, if you know what I mean.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The interplay is great and a few good lines once agian

This one looks to be even Deeper than Starcross in the number of sideplots and charaters

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Great Chapter but when you say the First Federation Expeditionary Fleet. Do you mean the "First Federation" Expeditionary Fleet as in its going ot explore the First Federation (from the Corbinite Manuver) to the First "Federation Expeditionary Fleet" as in the first fleet to go out and explore?
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Crazedwraith wrote:Great Chapter but when you say the First Federation Expeditionary Fleet. Do you mean the "First Federation" Expeditionary Fleet as in its going ot explore the First Federation (from the Corbinite Manuver) to the First "Federation Expeditionary Fleet" as in the first fleet to go out and explore?
It's the first expeditionary fleet of the Federation. There will be several as the war progresses but Robert April will command the 1st fleet with Pike as his XO.

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Just got caught up...

Interesting, dark jedi-ish people like sev'rance tan coming from no where. Tactically gifted force users... now who could be training them... and they aren't sith or necessarily using the dark side, so no competition, but no connection to Dooku...

It sounds like the situation is getting Grevious. :twisted:
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Did you skip chapter 17 when you were numbering these?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Dalton wrote:Did you skip chapter 17 when you were numbering these?
Indeed I did. UGH. I shall renumber them now and slap myself on the forward each time.

Wait...how about I always intended there to be no Chapter 17??? :wink:

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Stravo wrote:
Indeed I did. UGH. I shall renumber them now and slap myself on the forward each time.

You're the author :)
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Techno_Union
Jedi Council Member

Post by Techno_Union »

Stravo wrote:

How about you go the Lucas way and come back to it as a prequal-type thing? :P

It was you're original plan all along!!! :wink:
Proud member of GALE Force.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Dalton wrote:
Stravo wrote:

You're the author :)
I move that chapter 17 shall be rewritten

For it was Chapter 17 and everyone took the day off

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

This is an update LONG overdue. Anyway for New Years please enjoy the new chapter. I apologize in advance as this is one of 'those' chapters that is essentially a lot of exposition just to get the plot moving along and such. The following chapters promise to be a bit more exciting in terms of action.

Chapter 20: Fortunate Disasters

“Yet do I fear thy nature, It is too full o’ the milk of human kindness.”
Macbeth Act 1, scene v

“Captain, just so that we’re clear on this, you are asserting that the Federation from our future has allied with the Separatists and are now at war with the Republic. Is that about right?” The Federation president asked seriously. He sat at the head of a large conference table. Flanking him were his chief advisors, members of the Federation council and the Admirals of Starfleet.

Kirk stood at attention on the bridge. The main viewer displayed the gathering clearly, solid lines of static and distortion occasionally marred the signal. The Enterprise, still in orbit around Coruscant was transmitting using one the Republic’s holonet communications devices, a gift from Supreme Chancellor Palpatine.

Kirk had ordered Uhura to immediately check the communications array for any bugs or backdoors before it was installed. He could not take any chances with the safety of his ship and crew and more importantly giving the Republic an insider’s knowledge of the Federation’s current deliberations. He also had no illusions about the reason for the delivery of this piece of equipment in particular after their tense meeting with Palpatine.

It was a not so gentle reminder of the technical rewards awaiting the Federation should they decide to join the Grand Alliance. They were playing hard ball and it was becoming fairly obvious. Doctor Dehner was going to leave as soon as this meeting was over to have breakfast with Senator Mon Mothma, a well known and fervent Palpatine supporter. He was having what could best be described as brunch with Senator Amidala. Both sides were pushing hard for the Alliance and were making their big push.

He felt that the Federation and all that they stood for were now suddenly standing on the edge of a dark steep precipice and there was no way to know which way to jump at the moment. The Republic was understandably upset about the recent developments and the Federation now faced the dire possibility of not just fighting general war on a galactic scale but also fighting a temporal civil war. The past would be fighting its own future.

The ramifications were daunting to say the least.

“Yes, Mr. President. That is precisely what I am saying.” Kirk replied.

The assembled council members exchanged troubled glances and the president, an Andorian named Jolas Kye, frowned, his antennae vibrating slightly a subconscious signal of distress.

“Captain this is Admiral Turner.”

“Admiral.” Kirk nodded politely.

“Have you been able to discern the veracity of this outlandish claim? We have absolutely no proof that time travel is even possible.”

“Actually sir as my Science officer was careful to indicate in his exhaustive report.” Kirk fought his smile. Spock was asked to put together a quick science report on the issue and within a handful of hours had written a tome on temporal mechanics, theory and application. Kirk was barely able to plow through the introductory points before the briefing but he was more than impressed by the thoroughness of the work. “There are several theories that seriously provide for the possibility of time travel through the unique nature of our subspace fields.”

“That’s a mighty thin premise to be hanging our hats on in this crisis, Captain.” The Earth representative drawled. His Texan accent was thick and made him a distinctive voice on the council.

“I agree with the Terran representative though his use of human colloquialisms can be distracting.” The Vulcan representative added quietly. She sat directly opposite the Earth representative and had Spock’s report open before her. One of the few that still insisted on seeing everything in paper she was an oddity on the council for the stacks of books and reports in omnipresent piles around her.

“You have to understand that it is not as impossible as it seems.” Doctor Dehner added. “Right now we are traveling through time in a sense.” Dehner stressed.

“Explain yourself Doctor.” The president urged in the traditional Andorian whispered voice.

“This transmission is being beamed through the wormhole that leads back to our galaxy. We know from time lapse data that the signal is traveling forward in time as it gets to you, that this galaxy and the Enterprise are currently thousands of years into the past and you are sitting right now thousands of years into our future, not to mention the trillions and trillions of light years between us. We are your past speaking to you in the here and now. Considering these circumstances is it really that difficult to accept that a similar effect is taking place for a Federation in the future?”

“You’re talking about another wormhole.”

“Indeed we are.”

“Excuse me, Doctor, but the Vulcan Science Academy has run the permutations from every conceivable possibility and has found that a similar wormhole similarly located would simply be impossible.”

“What about inconceivable possibilities?” Kirk asked.

The Vulcan representative arched an eyebrow,

“Captain if we could conceive of it then it would no longer be inconceivable.” She explained.

Kirk nodded and felt a very desperate urge to kick himself.

“The only other option would be one that the Science Academy first theorized when we encountered it.” Number One added.

“I’m not sure what we’re talking about here.” The Terran representative interjected.

“The Science Academy originally suspected that the wormhole was an artificial construct.” The Vulcan representative answered.

“Do you have any idea what sort of technological development would be required to construct an object of that magnitude?” The Tellarite representative gasped.

“It is literally beyond anything we can even theorize. Only our wildest conceptions currently support the type of technology required for an apparatus of this kind.” The Vulcan replied.

“What about the Republic or the Separatists?” The president interrupted raising his hand.

“They sure as hell have been dangling their advanced technology under our noses for months now.” The Terran representative snapped.

“Highly unlikely sir. The technology necessary for such a construct is even beyond anything we have seen from either side so far. They are even more at a loss than we are concerning the temporal travel phenomenon. As we recently discovered their galaxy is remarkably free of any subspace distortion or irregularities. They have not catalogued any spatial anomalies even remotely resembling this one in their long history.” Spock replied.

“Captain.” Turner asked.

“Admiral?”

“What are your views on this Supreme Chancellor and the Republic? Do you think they can be behind this possible deception.”

Kirk thought long and hard on this for a moment all the while feeling Dehner’s eyes on him like a hawk. She was wary of telling Starfleet anything unsubstantiated. She was a scientist at heart and as such she was very uncomfortable with stating a hunch or belief that was not backed by facts. Kirk had to admit that she was the perfect counter balance to his rather inexperienced diplomacy. Negotiating with border elements and lone merchants was one thing, trying to hammer out an intergalactic alliance that would inevitably lead to a bloody war for the Federation was quite another.

But he could not simply sugar coat his words. There were certain things which he felt strongly about in this matter and the brass back home could never get the same impressions over a hyperspace com channel than they could in person.

“Admiral, permission to speak freely?”

Turner was silent for a moment but Kirk could see clearly see the Admiral exchange a glance with the other admirals at the table on the crystal clear image on his viewer.

“Granted.” He nodded curtly.

“Sir, it is my feeling that Chancellor Palpatine is a shrewd and cunning politician and he is extremely manipulative however I can’t sense any sort of duplicity on his part in regards to these events as they are unfolding now. His faction has always been extremely interested in having us join the Republic in this so called Grand Alliance. Besides in order for him or anyone else in the Republic to fabricate this evidence would require them to have some influence over the Separatists since they are the ones who utilized this Enterprise from the future in a recent battle with the Republic. Frankly I find it laughable to believe that Chancellor Palpatine has that kind of influence over the Separatists and in particular Count Dooku who has declared himself a mortal enemy of the Supreme Chancellor. The Separatists have everything to gain and the Republic has everything to lose by this turn of events.”

“If I may…” Dehner cleared her throat and interrupted.

“Go on Doctor.” The president nodded.

“Sir, we have a serious issue with confidence within the Republic. While I agree with Captain Kirk concerning the Supreme Chancellor there are certainly elements within the Republic government that are deeply divided on this issue of the war.”

“The peace faction led by Bail Organna?”

“Indeed Mr. President. I posit that we cannot over rule rogue elements of the government being involved in a plot to try and discredit us and sabotage the Alliance.”

“I can’t agree with the Doctor on that point. Bail Organna is a just and honorable man.”

“You’ve known him for all of one hour, at least I have a specialty in alien psychology to base my assumptions on. What do you have?”

Kirk began to reply when the President interjected sternly.

“Please Doctor. There is no time for this. Captain Kirk has my utmost confidence. He is a rising star in the Starfleet ranks and was the obvious choice to undertake this mission considering his wide breath of military experience which I do believe you lack.” Kirk could see the color rising on Dehner’s normally pale face. She was not accustomed to be addressed in this manner.

“Think of your teaming as a balance between your obvious strengths. We hold both your opinions in high esteem. Belittling each other at this point gains us nothing.”

“Logically however the Doctor is right. Her specialty in psychology and her experiences in diplomacy with alien species makes her ideal at formulating judgments concerning other parties.” The Vulcan coolly added.

“I don’t know about my esteemed colleague here but I’ll take a starship captain’s hunch over some academic’s analysis any day of the week.” The Terran ambassador interjected.

“Please.” The president raised a hand to stop the bickering. The assembled council quickly quieted. The Andorian turned his attention back to Kirk and Dehner.

“As I understand it, you have an agenda today with two of the representatives. A breakfast with Padme Amidala one of Bail Organna’s closest advisors and supporters and a brunch with Mon Mothma one of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine’s most vocal supporters and leader of the war wing of the Senate.”

“Correct.” Dehner replied.

“Excellent.” The president nodded. “Captain, I want you to attend the meeting with Mon Mothma. Doctor Dehner you will attend breakfast with Senator Amidala.”

Kirk began to open his mouth to speak but the president continued unabated.

“I know that the agenda shows the reverse but I feel that Captain Kirk and Doctor Dehner have already made their judgments regarding these factions and I am more interested in hearing their opinions from the other side.” It was Dehner’s turn to begin protesting but the president again continued to speak in his low Andorian whisper. “And more importantly I believe they as well have made assumptions about the both of you and these brunches are an attempt to shore up support and get soundings from both of you so I want to mix things up as the humans are fond of saying and I want to see what sort of reactions we get from the respective factions.”

Kirk nodded suddenly seeing where the president was going with this tact and agreeing. Dehner remained quiet.

“You will reveal nothing about our concerns other than what they already know. You will vehemently deny any and all involvement by the Federation in regards to this so called future Federation and we will discuss with our teams here how to proceed.”

“Mr. President, they will push us hard on where we stand on the Alliance. The Supreme Chancellor has made it implicitly clear that he feels that we must bear some responsibility for the actions of our alleged future selves.” Kirk asked pointedly.

The Andorian frowned, his antennae twitching slightly.

“Captain you understand our skepticism about this future Federation?”

“Of course Mr. President.” Kirk nodded.

“Then you can understand why what the Supreme Chancellor might feel in regard to this matter is not what we feel. He can assume that we have some form of responsibility but we don’t see the connection. How can we be responsible for actions that have yet to take place? Assuming of course that we believe these new antagonists are from the future.”

“That will not be a very satisfying answer I’m afraid.” Dehner noted.

“You are there as representatives of the Federation to make a fact finding mission and hopefully arrange a treaty with the Republic. Despite the many advantages to the proposed Alliance I remain highly skeptical. All things have their price and I feel we have not seen the entirety of the price that is to be borne by our people. The appearance of these mystery antagonists only leads us to believe that there are other agendas at work here.”

“We understand Mr. President.”

“Yes sir.”

“Kirk.” Turner spoke up.

“Sir?”

“You be careful out there. You’re far from home and any support we can give you should things turn ugly. I am authorizing you to take any and all actions to maintain the peace and keep your ship and crew alive but should things get ugly you will comply with the Gamma protocols.”

Kirk blinked.

The Grand Admiral had just told Kirk that in the end he, his ship and his crew were expendable in the eyes of the Federation.

“I understand sir and will do my best.”

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to anything so drastic.” The Terran representative interjected.

“You don’t have much time so I will leave you to your preparations.”

“Mr. President. The treaty negotiations are scheduled to end tomorrow at this time. I have full singing authority according to my orders but I assume I am to wait until I receive full instructions from the council.”

“You are indeed correct Captain. Do nothing until we order you to. If we lose communications you are to assume you are NOT to sign the treaty is that clear?”

“Absolutely Mr. President.”

“Good luck. To all of you.”

“God speed Captain.”

The screen switched from a view of the council to the planet Coruscant.

“I don’t have full signing authority.” Dehner noted with a raised eyebrow and smirk.

“Comes with the bars.” Kirk replied and pointed to the cuff of his shirt sleeve.

“I take it you’re not pleased with this turn of events?” Number One asked.

“On the record the president is completely and totally correct and we follow our orders to the letter.” Kirk replied as he stepped away from his command chair and walked over to the turbolift. He had to change quickly if he was to make his appointment. Dehner followed close behind. Number One walked in step with Kirk, hands clasped behind her back.

“And off the record?” she pressed as the doors to the lift opened. Kirk stepped in with Dehner.

“Off the record, we’re giving up the opportunity to do precisely what we have been ordered to do, Number One. Make contact with new civilizations and forge bonds of friendship and unity. Their technology alone would catapult us ahead a millennia from any other power in the quadrant.” Kirk explained.

“Their culture would enrich the Federation and make us a power unrivalled in our galaxy.” Dehner added.

“And the war?” Number One asked coldly.

Kirk frowned slightly.

“The president was right about one thing Number One. Everything has its price. We have to ask ourselves whether we’re ready or willing to pay it. You have the con.”

“Aye sir.”

The doors snapped shut. Number One stood stoically for a moment before walking over to Spock’s station.

“These calculations of yours?” she asked softly.

“There is very little doubt in my mind that the possibility of a Federation from the future is a near certainty.”

She nodded slowly.

“So, if we enter this alliance we will be at war with not only the Separatists but ourselves then?”

“It would seem so.” Spock answered.

“I for one do not look forward to the possibility of killing or being killed by my own grandchild.” She said quietly eyes looking back out at the screen and the city world spinning below them.

Spock looked up at Number One.

“Do you wish me to explain the odds involved with you’re offspring actually being a member of Starfleet and involved in the battle that kills you, not to mention the odds of you having offspring in the first place?” Spock politely asked.

Number One looked down at Spock sharply

“No thank you Mr. Spock. I prefer to perform those calculations myself.” She snapped.

“An admirable endeavor.” Spock nodded approvingly.

Number One shook her head and walked away. She stopped short as she saw Gary Mitchell smiling.

“You wish to add something Mr. Mitchell?” she asked stepping down to his station. Gary shook his head, pursing his lips as he did so.

“None at all. “’Cept of course that our Vulcan science officer certainly lacks a certain interpersonal touch when it comes to such a position as First Officer.”

Number One smiled frostily.

“I can say this for Mr. Spock. He’s added more to this mission than any three other officers. Can I say the same about a Navigator who has yet to show me why he should even be sitting at his current post much less the one above it?”

Gary’s smile remained untouched. But his eyes tightened slightly.

“I wouldn’t judge a book by its cover sweetie.”

“I’m no one’s sweetie. But I do have a series of course plots that need to be verified for accuracy in case we need them so I think you should get to them.” She ordered tersely and handed him a datapad.

“Yes, ma’am.” Gary replied happily and turned back to his station. Kelso eyed his old friend. He knew Gary had issues with women but it was bolder than the helmsman was accustomed to seeing from his friend.

“You OK, Gary?”

“I’m fine, Lee. Sometimes you just have to remind people whose in line and whose not.” Gary replied as he began stabbing numbers and figures into his keypad.

“Do you mind telling me what the Gamma protocols are?” Dehner asked in the turbolift. Kirk held onto the control rod and was pensive for a long moment.

“Starfleet has developed several protocols in response to the first five year missions, some of which are fairly well known and some that are limited to the command staff.”

“I assume this is one of those limited examples since I’ve never heard of it?”

Kirk nodded.

“In case we are caught in hostilities with a superior alien culture far from Federation assistance or bases a Captain or Admiral must make the determination on whether there is no chance of escape or victory.”

“And?”

“If there is none which I can sure as hell tell you there is none here should the Republic turn on us now I have standing orders to take this ship and as much of the enemy as I can with me.”

“What?” Dehner gasped.

Kirk looked Dehner straight in the eye as the lift came to a stop,

“If need be Doctor I will take the Enterprise and plunge her straight into Coruscant, hopefully right into the Jedi Temple or a military facility of significant importance.” Kirk said darkly.

“My god…”

The doors snapped open and Kirk stepped out. He paused for a moment in the doorway and nodded to the bars on his cuffs.

“They don’t just mean I get signing rights Doctor. They also mean that I have ultimate power over life and death on this ship.” Kirk added grimly and stepped out of the doorway. “You’d better hurry, you’ll be late.”

The doors snapped shut and Dehner stood in stunned silence.

“Power plays are endemic during these times I’m afraid.” Mon Mothma explained serenely. There was a calm presence about this young woman that was amazing to watch.

Kirk was still quietly angry about the turn of events. Just yesterday the Grand Alliance was ready to go ahead and be signed. Now he was busy contemplating the possibilities of how to destroy his ship and his crew should things turn ugly. The Jedi Temple was the obvious best target. It was non political, a significant structure and housed the best warriors of the Republic. With one strike he could make sure the Republic would think twice before launching an invasion into Federation space. It would at least give them pause long enough for the Federation to hopefully collapse the wormhole from their end.

But the image of Meerlinda strolling through the Jedi Temple gave him pause when he considered the option of vaporizing the temple.

“You seem distracted Captain.”

“More likely madam I am interested in what you have to say. Unfortunately, unlike Doctor Dehner I am not very verbose.” Kirk recovered quickly.

Mon Mothma watched the young Captain intently for a moment holding her teacup in her hands and gently rolling it back and forth along her palms. She had not dealt much with Kirk. It was believed that he firmly believed in the Alliance if not for the same reasons Palpatine did but he was also sympathetic to the peace faction and Bale Organna in particular. Dehner on the other hand was a true believer. She was a good ally and had spoken in support of the alliance from nearly the start.

However, Dehner was a scholar and a doctor. Kirk was a military man and the Supreme Chancellor knew that they would need the support of the Federation’s military if they were going to expect full cooperation in the coming conflict.

“You can understand the Chancellor’s concerns, Captain then when you take into account the power plays running through the senate when the overall agenda and goal could be blunted or even hijacked by the interests of a vocal minority.”

“You don’t need to play rhetorical tricks with me, Ms. Mothma. I am quite aware you’re talking about the peace faction.” Kirk replied.

Mon Mothma patiently sighed and held up her hand. She suddenly resembled a school teacher from Kirk’s childhood.

“On Chandrilla we do not use the salutary addresses such as Ms. Or Mrs. Mon Mothma will do.”

“My apologies.”

“That is precisely what is wonderful about this dialogue Captain.” Mon Mothma suddenly smiled and leaned forward. “Wouldn’t you agree?”

“I’m not sure what you’re addressing Mon Mothma.” Kirk found himself fighting the automatic urge to call her Ms. Then settled on a far easier term. “You’ll of course excuse my confusion senator.”

‘Oh, there’s no need for formality Captain. Mon Mothma will do just fine.” She replied smiling warmly. Kirk wanted to kick himself. Gee, thanks.

“I’m referring to the nature of our relationship. You haven’t had the opportunity to meet with any Separatists have you?”

“Well I did have the opportunity to send some of their ships straight to hell.” Kirk replied.

Mon Mothma blinked and smiled. “Of course, I had forgotten and that just leads to my obvious point Captain. You cannot interact with them as you can with us. The Federation and the Republic share common ideals, goals, objectives and interests. Your Federation wishes to reach out to the stars and interact peacefully with its neighbors. The Republic has interacted peacefully with her neighbors for over a thousand generations. I cannot think of better partners for peace and prosperity than ourselves. The Separatists on the other hand.” Mon Mothma’s face twisted in distaste. “They are business men first and foremost and they have no yearning for what lies over the horizon as we share.”

“Well Mon Mothma I can definitely agree with you that our two societies share a common thread and bond but unless I’m mistaken this clone war is really just a very thinly disguised civil war. The Separatists were members of the Republic at one time weren’t they?”

“And they rebelled against the authority of the Republic, refusing to work from within to achieve their goals. The Trade Federation one of the key members of the Union went so far as to blockade worlds in the Republic to get what they wanted. Let me ask you Captain, how far would your Federation go if a member world like say Andor attempted to secede after such actions as blockading Tellar and instigating hostilities against your finest warriors?”

“Well, there is always the option of letting a troublesome member simply leave.”

Mon Mothma frowned slightly. She knew when she was being tested, she simply did not like it.

“Captain would you advise us to allow a significant portion of our manufacturing and economic base simply leave especially after discovering a plot to blackmail the Republic with an army?”

“Senator, I’m not here to debate the niceties of your clone war, I just like to play devil’s advocate and defend a faction whose motives are honorable and more in line with what the Federation likes to expound.”

“Peace?”

“Of course.”

On Mothma nodded slowly and sipped her tea. She regarded Kirk over the lip of her cup.

“Does that include the Klingons?”

“Excuse me?”

“The Klingons, Captain. Would you say that the Federation expounds peace where the Klingons are concerned.”

“I’d say it is always an option no matter who is involved.” Kirk replied testily.

“And the Klingons, would you say they would agree that sometimes a strong hand is needed to deal with internal strife. That sometimes war is inevitable.” Mon Mothma pressed softly slowly putting her teacup down.

“War is almost always a choice that is made Senator.” Kirk snapped.

“Mon Mothma.”

“Yes, I’m sorry.” Kirk replied with an exasperated sigh.

“Diplomatic protocol is not your strong suit, I can appreciate that Captain. You seem to me to be a man of action.”

“And you just very much sent me a strong warning shot across my bow Mon Mothma.”

“Now I am a bit confused Captain.”

“How would you like me to report this to the Council? That the Republic is officially going to approach the Klingons should this process fail or that I gleaned from some subtle innuendo that the Republic is considering approaching the Klingons?” Kirk replied acidly.

Mon Mothma pursed her lips and said nothing for a long moment.

“This is not going well I’m afraid.” She sighed.

“I could say that the Federation may view such overtures as a prelude to war.”

Mon Mothma stiffened.

“You’re not implying…”

“You want to play the game Senator.” He stressed the title through gritted teeth. “Then you have to learn to go all the way. I will make this abundantly clear since I’m a man of action. If you approach the Klingons, if you so much as send feelers or probes into their space we will collapse that godamned wormhole so quickly that you might draw back a nub.” Kirk said evenly and unflinchingly looking into her eyes.

Mon Mothma slowly sat back and regarded the young man with a measured gaze. There was a fire in these people, one she had not seen in her own for some time.

“I must apologize Captain. Unfortunately I am just a messenger and not an initiator of policy.”

“This is Palpatine’s idea isn’t it?”

“He is furious at the very idea that the Federation has initiated hostilities against us and you are now considering leaving when you are needed most.”

“We are extremely skeptical concerning this future Federation theory.”

Mon Mothma nodded.

“Let us be frank Captain. You do indeed believe in the theory it is your government which does not.”

“What I believe is irrelevant.”

“Ah, but I believe that it is not true, I think you have more of a sway and a voice than even you realize.” Mon Mothma leaned forward. “James Kirk I am asking you to consider the possibilities that your grandchildren and descendants are making war against us and that you have an awesome responsibility to answer for that aggression. Look beyond the doubts, the innuendo and see what is right and just. We can help your society in so many way, the medical technology alone would save untold billions, instant communication across your galaxy and you would never have to concern yourself with the Klingons ever again. We offer a chance for the Federation to take its rightful place in your galaxy, imposing the peace and prosperity you seek. We ask for your help in stopping this war sooner rather than later. Yes, there will be death and destruction but the prize at the end of the struggle cannot be quantified.”

Kirk said nothing and the silence between the two was deafening.

“In the end Captain you are of course correct. War is a choice. I’m asking you to help make that choice for the greater good.”

Kirk’s communicator beeped. He apologetically flipped it open and as he listened to the voice on the other end his eyes slowly widened.

“Lovely really.” Dehner noted s she turned the crystal in her hand and watched the gentle cascade of light that flowed from it.

“It was a gift from a friend.” Padme said as she took her seat on the balcony overlooking the endless cityscape below.

“I apologize again for not telling you about the change in agenda ahead of time but my government changed it just now and we scrambled to get here.”

“Oh I understand, you’re speaking to someone who has been involved in politics since she was a young girl. My whole life has been about shifting agendas and sudden changes.” Padme laughed softly.

“I’m curious. May I ask you a personal question in regard to your stance on this war?” Dehner asked.

“Of course, Doctor.” Padme replied and nodded.

“Your world was blockaded by the Trade Federation, you yourself have endured assassination attempts by these same parties and you are a veteran of the Battle of Geonosis where you watched the opening engagement of the Clone War with your own eyes including the treachery of Count Dooku and his Separatists in their attempt to black mail the Republic with their army. Yet you are one of the most vocal proponents for peace. I’m curious as to why.”

Padme said nothing for a moment as she eyed the cold blonde sitting across from her. Dehner was resolutely in Palpatine’s camp. There was little doubt of that but that did not matter. She needed to plead her case and as a senator many times that required her to plead it before very unsympathetic audiences.

“Because I have seen what conflict can create and leave behind I am firmly opposed to war Doctor. When Naboo was blockaded we lost many good people to the Trade Federation and their reeducation camps. It took my world months to recover the damage to our infrastructure and our people grieved. When you have seen a mother grieve over a fallen child I defy you to want to see more such sights spread across a world much less a galaxy. Geonosis showed me that the death toll would no longer be limited to a handful of Jedi and some battle droids. This is a war that has stained thousands of worlds in blood. The devastation will be unprecedented and I feel that as a witness to these horrors it is my duty as a human being to try and stop it.”

“And the Separatists? I don’t think their motives are so pure at all. How do you handle someone who is not going to follow the same rules as yourself, who will not be civilized or who is intent on initiating war and conflict?” Dehner pressed.

“You find a way Doctor to work out a compromise, a solution. It is easy to go to war, Doctor. Easy to simply decide to destroy the other side. The far more difficult and ultimately rewarding path is the one of communication and compromise.”

“You’ll excuse me if I find that view a little naive.”

Padme smiled coolly.

“And how many combat zones have you been in Doctor?”

Dehner shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

“None actually.”

“Battles?”

“I haven’t served on a starship that has seen combat. Most of my work has been limited to the inner systems and Earth.”

“Who’s being naive then Doctor?” Padme asked.

Dehner frowned.

Her communicator beeped.

“Excuse me senator.” Dehner flipped her communicator open. “Dehner here. I thought there was not supposed to be any communications until I—“

“Doctor, you have to return to the Enterprise right away.” Number One said tersely.

“I don’t understand.”

“I’ve recalled the Captain and all crew from Coruscant. We have an emergency situation developing on Earth.”

“What the hell is—”

“The Federation Council has been attacked Doctor. We think the president is dead.”

Dehner stared in disbelief at the communicator.

“An assassination?!” she exclaimed. Padme’s shoulders sagged in defeat.

“Beam up NOW Doctor.” Number One ordered.

Dehner flipped her communicator closed.

Padme sighed very softly and took a sip from her glass.

“I have a feeling Doctor that events have caught up with us and these negotiations are all but over.”

Dehner numbly rose from her seat.

“I have to go.” Dehner said flatly.

“I understand Doctor.” Padme replied as the Doctor vanished in a column of light. Padme looked out over the cityscape watching the lights dance around the glass and steel canyons. She could lose herself and escape her concerns if she stared a the lights long enough. Padme touched a communication panel on her table. Bail Organna’s face appeared in a holographic display.

“Padme? That was fast. Is everything alright?”

“No. I am all but certain that another fortunate disaster has befallen the Federation that all but assures they will be signing the treaty tomorrow.” Padme reported glumly.

“What makes you say that?”

“A feeling I have.” Padme answered sadly and watched the skyline.
[/quote]

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

That was some great interplay with Kirk and Mon Mothma. I do enjoy also that you gave Kirk a lot of teeth in the matter.

All in all I enjoyed the chapter, but it was a tad Kirk heavy and the part of Padme and Dehner was a short even as a counter balance.

Still all in all it does demonstrate where each of the players stand and what they are facing.