FSTGOD: Here there be dragons...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Which red dragon?

One
17%
Two
39%
Three
44%

Total votes: 18

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

FSTGOD: Here there be dragons...

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, I'm getting pictures for all the movers and shakers of my kingdom in the FSTGOD. These include two dragons. I'm trying to decide on a good one to use for one of them; I'm tossing in other pics because they're cool. Credit for the pictures given where I know the artist.

First, the choices for Kalfyra, hostile red dragon:

Matthew Mitchell

Second, Lothirlondodis, silver dragon:

An idea of the general relations between the two:

Vinod Rams

If anyone has any other pictures that they think might work and that I can use, please share. Even if I don't use 'em, good depictions of dragons are always something I'm interested in.
Last edited by Rogue 9 on 2005-11-12 02:56am, edited 2 times in total.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

I like the second picture, mainly because it fills the characterization of a red one better. That and it has a hint of mortality to it. The third one seems to self assured, and the first one, though lovely, isn't detailed enough(ok more detailed than I could manage probably, but I like the second one best!). At least that's the feeling I get looking at it. They're all wonderful pictures though, so the choice is entirely up to you.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Larry Elmore has always been one of the best when it comes to paintings of Dragons, imho
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2004-10-07 04:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The top red dragon reminds me of something done by Jeff Easley but I think it was made by a different artist.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Lindar wrote:I like the second picture, mainly because it fills the characterization of a red one better. That and it has a hint of mortality to it. The third one seems to self assured, and the first one, though lovely, isn't detailed enough(ok more detailed than I could manage probably, but I like the second one best!). At least that's the feeling I get looking at it. They're all wonderful pictures though, so the choice is entirely up to you.
Well, the third one is entitled "Death of the Dragon." :wink: The second one likely fits the D&D characterization of the red dragon better because it's from the Draconomicon. :P As for the first, yes it could use more detail.

Thanks for the links, guys. Wow. :shock:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

FUCK!!

I voted 2, but I meant 3. Goddammit. I think the third one is prettier, but the second is great for characterization.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Just tossing this in here so I'll remember it later. Not going to use it, but it's cool.

Edit: This was working literally ten minutes ago, but now it isn't. Perhaps it will be back. Keeping the link here.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I like that pic of the silver dragon vs. the red.
JADAFETWA
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Kuja wrote:I like that pic of the silver dragon vs. the red.
That one's from the Draconomicon.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Yeah, I know, I read it. :wink:

I think my favorite D&D pic ever is the one of a gold dragon knocking a bunch of people into the air with its tail. :D
JADAFETWA
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I like the one from the 3.0 PHB that had Tordek in the dragon's mouth with him axeing it in the face. Sadly, it was removed for the 3.5 edition. :cry:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Wow! Todd Lockwood, Jeff Easley, Keith Parkinson, Larry Elmore. Some of the best fantasy artists around! However, I think the baddest-looking dragons are the ones painted by Bob Eggleton for his Book of Dragons and by Michael Whelan for "Dragons of Light" (actually Dragons of Darkness, causing hilarity to ensue).
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Hmmmm. I'll have to see if I can find that.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

The third. BTW the first pic is more like Gold Dragon, though.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

I voted 1, dunno why, probably because it looks quite powerful.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Ph34r the Created Dragon!

From Nick Perumov's Ne Vremya Dlya Drakonov. The original pic may be found here, but it's a very slow load.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

it's a very slow load.
No it isn't! :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Really? It took like 5 minuts for the pic to load for me.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Kuja wrote:I like that pic of the silver dragon vs. the red.
That one's from the Draconomicon.
And upon hearing the title twice, I think i have to add it to my to read list. Thing is... it sounds familiar, but I don't think I've read it. Does it give better descrip. on the different types, or just elaborate a little more on what is already known?
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Lindar wrote:And upon hearing the title twice, I think i have to add it to my to read list. Thing is... it sounds familiar, but I don't think I've read it. Does it give better descrip. on the different types, or just elaborate a little more on what is already known?
It gives full-blown descriptions of every dragon and quasi-dragon in the D&D universe, plus all the data on various dragon gods (including Bahamut and Tiamat), how different dragons act, look, how and where they build their lairs, who they associate with, who they hate, how they're played, how they grow, etc, etc.
JADAFETWA
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Kuja wrote:
Lindar wrote:And upon hearing the title twice, I think i have to add it to my to read list. Thing is... it sounds familiar, but I don't think I've read it. Does it give better descrip. on the different types, or just elaborate a little more on what is already known?
It gives full-blown descriptions of every dragon and quasi-dragon in the D&D universe, plus all the data on various dragon gods (including Bahamut and Tiamat), how different dragons act, look, how and where they build their lairs, who they associate with, who they hate, how they're played, how they grow, etc, etc.
Sounds like a great bedtime snack. Thing is I'll have to catch it first heh.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Lindar wrote:
Kuja wrote:
Last I checked, both Media Play and Waldenbooks had a couple copies each. Just don't bug my while I'm working. :P
JADAFETWA
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Bah, Ne Vremya Dlay Drakonv's dragons pwn j00 all. They're pretty much gods, and rule everyone.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Kuja wrote:
Lindar wrote:
Kuja wrote: It gives full-blown descriptions of every dragon and quasi-dragon in the D&D universe, plus all the data on various dragon gods (including Bahamut and Tiamat), how different dragons act, look, how and where they build their lairs, who they associate with, who they hate, how they're played, how they grow, etc, etc.
Last I checked, both Media Play and Waldenbooks had a couple copies each. Just don't bug my while I'm working. :P
Now let's think Logically.... Would I Do something like that?*rolls eyes, evil grin* Besides, I don't have time for shopping. I'll just ask around. Am sure I can borrow it. If not I'll have to wait a while, that stuffs contraband as far as the parental units go, heh. That or con Cammy...

~*~ w00t! Sev's got it...and am gonna borrow it when it's found!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Your parents consider it contraband? If its for the reason I'm thinking, I might be able to help with that. Fundie paranoia? If so, unless they're hardcore Chick followers I can probably get them to lay off with a few select documents that I've got.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!