Lord of the Gun

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who is the Lord of the Gun?

Dante
3%
Blade
1%
Preston
46%
The Man With No Name
8%
Rambo
6%
Neo
3%
The Desperado
1%
The Punisher
7%
El Dulche
4%
Roland
20%

Total votes: 71

Atlan
Jedi Knight

Post by Atlan »

The Cleric, no doubt. Yes, Vash would be better, but then again (without getting specific) Vash is hardly human...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."
R.A. Heinlein.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Roland.
JADAFETWA
The_Last_Rebel
Padawan Learner

Post by The_Last_Rebel »

>sigh<

I can't believe you left out:
Han Solo (who needs no explanation why)
Revolver Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid--anyone who can nail 5 guys w/AKs with an old six-gun before anyone can even blink is cool in my book)
Rooster Cogburn(John Wayne's character in True Grit and a sequel with the same name-in one scene he's riding a horse with the reigns in his teeth, a Colt in one hand, and a Winchester in the other, charging a bunch of desperadoes. In another scene he's blazing away with a Gatling gun, laughing the whole time. Now, he had style)
"A woman spanking her child is not as great a threat to aviation as members of Al Qaeda with box cutters," says one expert.-Understatement of the century.
"You can't fix stupid"-Ron White
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

C'mon, Solo didn't even shoot first. :wink:

Revolver Ocelot is pretty good, but falls flat when he gets around anyone in his own class of skill.

Vash is a badass 'slinger, Him vs Cleric Preston would have to be pretty close.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Darwin wrote:C'mon, Solo didn't even shoot first. :wink:
Nor is he a paticularly good shot; not in the area of gun toters we're talking about. I'd say he's more lucky than anything else. Fair with a weapon, sure, but not in the same class as most of these guys.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Wolfwood or Chapel the Evergreen over Vash, they ae actually human, and don't have little things like cyber arm machineguns and nuclear death that they can fling out their butthole taking away from their pure gunslinging glory.

Pierrot Le Fout for most guns carried into a fight.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

For this batch...I would seriously give it to Roland. The shit King describes him do with a gun, makes even Vash look pretty average.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Nobody from Wild Arms makes the list? C'mon, Virginia (from Advanced Third) is at least a decent 'slinger when she gets to medium levels. In addition, she uses paired revolvers, unlike most of the others (must be double-action), and is capable of pulling off twenty shots (with heavily modified revolvers) before an opponent can react.

Out of those listed, I'd have to go with the Gunslinger. For him, it's a way of life from birth, not something learned later.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Lord of the Gun

Post by wautd »

NeoGoomba wrote:The Desperado (Desperado/Once Upon a Time in Mexico)
Nitpick: shouldnt that be "El Mariachi"?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Oh and Bruce Willis in last man standing was pretty badass with his 45's 8)
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Well, in all fairness. Preston WAS firing fully automatic. :D

Still, though, I think I have to give it to Preston, although Ocelot...damn, I mean that guy bullseyes you with ricochets :)
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

White Haven wrote:Well, in all fairness. Preston WAS firing fully automatic. :D
Actually, he was usually firing semi-auto.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Re: Lord of the Gun

Post by Darwin »

wautd wrote:
NeoGoomba wrote:The Desperado (Desperado/Once Upon a Time in Mexico)
Nitpick: shouldnt that be "El Mariachi"?
most people don't realize that OUaTiM was the THIRD movie in the series...

El Mariachi is an underappreciated film, with at least twice as much heart as its sequel Desperado.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Stormbringer wrote:
White Haven wrote:Well, in all fairness. Preston WAS firing fully automatic. :D
Actually, he was usually firing semi-auto.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I distinctly recall one scene, for example, where Preston crosses his wrists and just turns, blasting at full-auto the whole time.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Vain
Padawan Learner

Post by Vain »

As far as who kicks the most ass, definitely the Saint of Killers, of Preacher fame. Granted, he has magic six guns that never miss and kills anything they hit (and I do mean anything, if you've read the whole series), but he was a badass even before his elevation into his role as the Angel of Death. Now if they must be strictly mortal and not instruments of divine retribution, then definitely John Preston, with style and substance. Equilibrium actually made me want to believe that you could stand in the center of a room full of guys with machine guns and kill them all without being hit, if you just knew the occult mysteries of the Gun Kata.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Vain wrote:As far as who kicks the most ass, definitely the Saint of Killers, of Preacher fame. Granted, he has magic six guns that never miss and kills anything they hit (and I do mean anything, if you've read the whole series), but he was a badass even before his elevation into his role as the Angel of Death. Now if they must be strictly mortal and not instruments of divine retribution, then definitely John Preston, with style and substance. Equilibrium actually made me want to believe that you could stand in the center of a room full of guys with machine guns and kill them all without being hit, if you just knew the occult mysteries of the Gun Kata.
But in all fairness to Saint of Killers, his SKILLS with a gun as a human weren't all that great. He admitted to killing indians drunk, and it was his sheer ferocity and bloodthirst that made him known during the Civil War. That, and if I were to use him, I'd have to put in Clint Eastwood's character from Unforgiven, as the Saint's origin was basically that.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Cthulhu-chan
Padawan Learner

Post by Cthulhu-chan »

Another write-in for Roland Deschain. The man could clean out an entire town with just a pair of six-shooters, reloading on the fly. One shot, one kill.
"Heaven is an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is defined as having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese apartment, and an American wife." -- James H. Kabbler III.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Course if you take Preston's Sleeves of Carrying +2 away from him, well, things go a little different. :twisted:

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Roland probably. Given the capabilities both demonstrated and inferred (frrom others of comparable talent like from the last book and Black House) he's more than a match (mostly because he's got at least some psychic ability backing him up).

Alucard would easily top him though (going by the manga.) He can hit a target from a kilometer away with his Casull (a glorified AMR in pistol form), has sixth senses and at least millisecond reaction times (again, based on the Manga.) He could easily own any of them.
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Alucard would easily top him though (going by the manga.) He can hit a target from a kilometer away with his Casull (a glorified AMR in pistol form), has sixth senses and at least millisecond reaction times (again, based on the Manga.) He could easily own any of them.
Putting an old vampire into a contest is intrinsically unfair to everyone else
:lol:
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

So's Vash the Stampede, the Humanoid Typhoon, but you don't see anyone giving a shit.

Remember, when you fight the best with a gun, come out on top and still don't kill anyone, you have to be good.

Oh, and consequences, Vash uses the Angel Arm willingly once, and once only. He can dodge bullets without actually looking like he's actively trying, and can redirect bullets through the use of pebbles.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

i'll have to give it to Roland. most all the others listed use some type of magic power or special ability/weapon to get their uber leet gun skills. With Roland it's all pure skill and speed. He might use some small psychic ability to aid his concentration, but take away the special toys and powers of the others and Roland would wipe the floor with them imo. Considering all the things he's been described as doing by King.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

I do not aim with my hand;
he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand;
he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun;
he who has killed with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.

- Roland.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Keevan_Colton wrote:I do not aim with my hand;
he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.
I do not shoot with my hand;
he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.
I do not kill with my gun;
he who has killed with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.

- Roland.
Bah.
Dupont wrote:
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element.

The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire.

By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.

[/quote]
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Crazedwraith wrote: Bah.
Dupont wrote:
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element.

The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire.

By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.

thrrp. in one of the books, Roland was in 20th century earth in a drug store when he was came upon by police. The policeman drew a gun, and while halfway delirious due to infection, and in an unfamiliar body, Roland still managed to outdraw the policeman, and fire the bullet into the barrel of the cop's gun. Didn't hurt the cop, but managed to disable him nicely despite all the handicaps at the time.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."