Lord of the Gun

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Who is the Lord of the Gun?

Dante
3%
Blade
1%
Preston
46%
The Man With No Name
8%
Rambo
6%
Neo
3%
The Desperado
1%
The Punisher
7%
El Dulche
4%
Roland
20%

Total votes: 71

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Darth_Zod wrote:
thrrp. in one of the books, Roland was in 20th century earth in a drug store when he was came upon by police. The policeman drew a gun, and while halfway delirious due to infection, and in an unfamiliar body, Roland still managed to outdraw the policeman, and fire the bullet into the barrel of the cop's gun. Didn't hurt the cop, but managed to disable him nicely despite all the handicaps at the time.
??? How does this apply to what I said? at all?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:
thrrp. in one of the books, Roland was in 20th century earth in a drug store when he was came upon by police. The policeman drew a gun, and while halfway delirious due to infection, and in an unfamiliar body, Roland still managed to outdraw the policeman, and fire the bullet into the barrel of the cop's gun. Didn't hurt the cop, but managed to disable him nicely despite all the handicaps at the time.
??? How does this apply to what I said? at all?
admittedly, not alot now that i think about it. Though simply giving out percentages of how much someone's accuracy improves is fairly worthless without examples of their abilities in action. this on the other hand clearly demonstrates some of the feats roland's capable of, while percentages alone don't.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Darth_Zod wrote:
admittedly, not alot now that i think about it. Though simply giving out percentages of how much someone's accuracy improves is fairly worthless without examples of their abilities in action. this on the other hand clearly demonstrates some of the feats roland's capable of, while percentages alone don't.

The same could apply to the poetry, I quoted. :D
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:

The same could apply to the poetry, I quoted. :D
while i actually gave a solid example of what roland was capable of. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wel good for you, it's a pity this amazing roland isn't in the poll, isn't it?
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Crazedwraith wrote:Wel good for you, it's a pity this amazing roland isn't in the poll, isn't it?
That's what we've been trying to tell you.

Now, please put him in the poll. You can use the space marked "neo."
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Crazedwraith wrote:Wel good for you, it's a pity this amazing roland isn't in the poll, isn't it?
Actually made a correction since the OP has the Gunslinger in his lists :wink:

So there we go..Roland.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Bob the Gunslinger

I can finally vote now. Yay!

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Actually made a correction since the OP has the Gunslinger in his lists :wink:

So there we go..Roland.
I completely missed the fact that I didnt put him in the poll. Whoops
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I saw "Equilibrium" tonight, and... damn! Preston is definitely kickass. I liked his nifty spring-loaded reloader gadget too (that he used in the bit where he walked into the room with 20+ baddies). When was the last time you actually saw someone pause and reload in the middle of a fight, huh? Not only did he reload with the clips, he did so again with the ones he threw into the room before he entered-- rolled and thwapped them right into the guns, without even looking...

I would definitely have to vote for him, as my knowledge of the rest (aside from Neo, who's mostly just a spray-and-pray character who's had the semi-uber-accuracy-o-doom flash-taught to him) is mostly hearsay.

Regarding the graze Preston had on his neck-- I figure that was either during the fight he had with "Father", or during the bit when he and Taye Diggs were going at each other with the real blades... a rather unnecessary scene, if you ask me-- they should've had Taye throwing down on Preston, and then a huge Matrix-esque fight sequence with the two Clerics bouncing off the walls and missing by bare millimeters... that'd have not only provided us with some mega-serious examples of Cleric capabilities, it would also have been so unbelievably totally kickass,.... :D

(Incidentally, did not anybody find it somewhat odd that Dupont was apparently an expert of the Gun-Kata, since he was very nearly the equal of Preston in the slap-fight they had at the end of the movie? He's just the Vice-Council and the "Father"... a glorified bureaucrat...)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Elheru Aran wrote:I saw "Equilibrium" tonight, and... damn! Preston is definitely kickass. I liked his nifty spring-loaded reloader gadget too (that he used in the bit where he walked into the room with 20+ baddies). When was the last time you actually saw someone pause and reload in the middle of a fight, huh? Not only did he reload with the clips, he did so again with the ones he threw into the room before he entered-- rolled and thwapped them right into the guns, without even looking...

I would definitely have to vote for him, as my knowledge of the rest (aside from Neo, who's mostly just a spray-and-pray character who's had the semi-uber-accuracy-o-doom flash-taught to him) is mostly hearsay.

Regarding the graze Preston had on his neck-- I figure that was either during the fight he had with "Father", or during the bit when he and Taye Diggs were going at each other with the real blades... a rather unnecessary scene, if you ask me-- they should've had Taye throwing down on Preston, and then a huge Matrix-esque fight sequence with the two Clerics bouncing off the walls and missing by bare millimeters... that'd have not only provided us with some mega-serious examples of Cleric capabilities, it would also have been so unbelievably totally kickass,.... :D

(Incidentally, did not anybody find it somewhat odd that Dupont was apparently an expert of the Gun-Kata, since he was very nearly the equal of Preston in the slap-fight they had at the end of the movie? He's just the Vice-Council and the "Father"... a glorified bureaucrat...)
Two things:

First, the director had the fight with Diggs cut short like that because his thought is "you know he wins, and he has to fight the bad guy, so let's get to it."

Second, the guy who was father was the former high cleric of the tetragrammaton, or whatever Preston's job is. Not necessarily better, but he was a cleric also.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

My attitude in reguards to equalibrium was that it's what would happen if Winton Smith was replaced with Chow Yun Fat....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Elheru Aran wrote:Regarding the graze Preston had on his neck-- I figure that was either during the fight he had with "Father", or during the bit when he and Taye Diggs were going at each other with the real blades... a rather unnecessary scene, if you ask me-- they should've had Taye throwing down on Preston, and then a huge Matrix-esque fight sequence with the two Clerics bouncing off the walls and missing by bare millimeters... that'd have not only provided us with some mega-serious examples of Cleric capabilities, it would also have been so unbelievably totally kickass,.... :D
As to the cut in the neck: listen to the directors commentary it was Bale's idea and not prt of the plan. Wimmer liked it and said it was done in the fight with father he just didn't have any money left to go and put in a shot of it...
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Singular Quartet wrote:So's Vash the Stampede, the Humanoid Typhoon, but you don't see anyone giving a shit.

Remember, when you fight the best with a gun, come out on top and still don't kill anyone, you have to be good.

Oh, and consequences, Vash uses the Angel Arm willingly once, and once only. He can dodge bullets without actually looking like he's actively trying, and can redirect bullets through the use of pebbles.
In the opening post:
"No other quality they possess is taken into account, other than both their skill with the gun, and style with the gun."
From my point of view, this doesn't explicitly disqualify superhuman gunslingers, but it greatly complicates their inclusion since you think "well, what would they be like if they had to deal with normal people genetics?"

I'm in the process of reading the Dark Tower books, but I think I agree that it comes down to Roland and Preston.
Bob the Gunslinger

How do you like them?