Let's show everyone where we live and why it's so great!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

I used to live in Taipei, Taiwan. Population 2.3M

Shin-Kuang Mitsunoku (Don't ask me why there's Japanese in this title.)

Grand Hotel

Presidential Office

Palace Museum

Tea, lots of tea.

We have another type of fundie, politicial fundies.

Political fundies of the opposite side. Yes, they look less moronic. I'm not being fair. I don't wanna be fair.

Now I live in San Antonio, Texas

REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

River Walk

Another good scene of the Alamo

Tower of the Americas

San Fernando Missionary
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

RogueIce wrote:
Lt. Dan wrote:Well, there isn't a whole lot that makes Albuquerque great but there are a few things taht one might think are cool.

Worlds longest tram as far as I know.

The Manzano Mountains, full of nukes

Thats all for now, I'll see if I can think of anythin else later on.
But isn't that where Bugs Bunny always makes a wrong turn? :)
Yes. Yes it is. That fucking dumbass. I mean, there are signs EVERYWHERE telling you which direction every place on the world is.
:D
d(-_-)b
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Zaia wrote:
Dalton wrote:<snip INCORRECT map
JERSEY DOES NOT SUCK!!!!!!!!!
My, someone's touchy.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I live in Toronto.

City Hall

Old City Hall

Entertainment district

And this is why it's the best place in the world
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

And the view from my flat:
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
SoX
Padawan Learner

Post by SoX »

Ok, My hometown (rye lives not far from here but in a slightly more pooey place as im sure he may well agree):

Our Parish Church:

A pub (Crown):

Another pub about 10 seconds away from the crown:

Reebok Stadium (Bolton Wanderers Stadium):

Rivington Pike:

I tried to find a pic of our high-school but the website is shit.

Horwich Website
"groovy" - Ash, Evil Dead 2.
"no prizes for guessing 'the colour of the grass on the otherside' or the time on the moon" - Either Nick, Rye or Tony.
"your pills your grass your tits your ass"
" i pitty teh poor foo's that have to suffer Troy's anti-plan field"
"Escaped mental patients make better lovers" - Graffiti near Uni.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Let's see, what is there to do around here?

^ The road to the left of that pub is a scary one to drive down.

^ A pub only a few minutes walk from my house! :O Known as "the bottom spinners" not to do with rectal orientation, but rather to do with it being on th bottom road, also nothing to do with one's buttocks.

And there's some other pubs that all look the same that I won't bother posting....

So, what can you do other than drink yourself into an early grave? Well, you can get CURRY to go along with that alcohol!

YOU CAN HIRE TOOLS STRAIGHT FROM GOD!111

If you're one of those illuminati sponsoring popers, you can go here!

Right next door is another slightly similar God's house.

Yes! Worship God even more!

Look! A carnival! Look! I'm a miserable fuck that hates all these inbred fucks! (that's why I'm not on the picture)

Now we see where adlingtonians go to dye. See What I did there? It was a pun or play on words, don't you feel like you're in the victorian age already? Just talk politics with the locals and feel the authenticity!

One of the ways out of this dump other than my kickass car.

Here's a field that is currently having housing built on. I think.

Another, slightly slower than railway out of this dump.

So understandably, I spend time either on the net or in Horwich with people that don't suck. But at least I don't live in Dirtrod.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Ekiqa
Jedi Knight

Post by Ekiqa »

I used to live in Toronto, but now I live in Halifax.

Home of Keith's beer!
Also of Theodore Too, which is the full-size Theodore tuboat.

And where I got to University,the University of King's College, the oldest University in North America, founded in 1789.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Dalton wrote:My, someone's touchy.
I was born there. It is not possible for Jersey to suck. :P
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Zaia wrote:
Dalton wrote:My, someone's touchy.
I was born there. It is not possible for Jersey to suck. :P
Jersey doesn't suck.

It blows. :D

*runs away, far away*
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Ok so our town probably doesn't compare to everyone elses because it's so small but here is our Town Hall
and our Swinging Bridge (you can only walk across, it's mainly for fun. located over our small river rapids)
The bridge is the pic in the middle , the pic in the top left hand corner is the main area of Downtown, and the pic on the bottom right is just of some houses.

This is Downtown during one of our Parades

A map of the town showing The Millenium Trail, this walking/hiking trail goes right through the entire town. They just got rid of the abandoned CN Railway and made it into a nice hike for the patrons of Renfrew and our visitors

And of course how could I not mention this...
A pic of some kid at Storyland. Basically a huge self guided tour place full of statues of childrens book characters and activities, the little old lady who lived in a shoe...Snow White and The 7 Dwarfs...The easter bunny...the list goes on. A wonderful place to take your kids, but it's a lot of walking.

They also have a water park and pic-nic area for rest time.

And of course there is Wilderness Tours, (where my husband is at the moment with school)
This is white water rafting meant for family outings (for kids and older adults)
This is just a pic to show that there are bike trails throughout the area
Just an area of the Ottawa river in the winter months
The rafting for youger more adventurous types
A pic of the accomodations for your stay at Wilderness Tours
The main building at the resort from a birds eye view
and just some guy kayaking
And a map of the Ottawa River around Wilderness tours to give you all an idea of the great kayayking and white water rafting.

Sorry I had to make up for our small town with no pictures on their website compared to all your beautiful lights in the city at night. All in all I would never trade living in a small town for living in a large city . I lived in Ottawa my whole life until I met and married Cpl Kendall who lived in Deep River at the time (2 hours away from Ottawa), and absolutely love living out here.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Ekiqa wrote:I used to live in Toronto, but now I live in Halifax.
Yay! Another Nova Scotian!
I was born in Toronto and grew up in Jimtown (now a suburb of Antigonish), and after travelling the world I ended up back where I was born. Fun fact, my sister shares Alexander Keith's birthday. :D
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

-snip-
My, Yorkshire's gone up market since I was there last...

Now, where was I? Oh yes:

"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Zaia wrote: The Inner Harbor
Hey that looks so much like Darling Harbour in Sydney, without the skyline!
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

I live in the Fucking Hole. Better known as Stuttgart.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Good thing is that my Dad got a new Camera last year. A Canon EOS-300 D digital. Bloody amazing camera in what it can do. But he doesn't put it down that often, its his little hobby. So I have a ton of them.

Long shot of Sydney Harbour. The CBD on your left, the Bridge Center and North Sydney on the Right.

Closer view of the Bridge from the Sydney Opera House.

Looking back under the Bridge towards the Opera House. Behold our 1337 weirdass design for a bloody Opera House!!!

On a different tack, the Georges River at Como. South of the CBD. Its actualy quite amazing. Suburbia has sprung up all around this area, Sydney streaches some distance further South around it, but from this point on it tends to become a mix of urben and light urben, eventualy giving way to the Bush, until you get further South again.

The Pacific Ocean just South of Kernal where Captian Cook first arrived.

The Harbour at night. Looking in from the Opera House towards Circular Quay. Where the main feries on the Habour operate out from. Many many many tourists gather here :)
Ekiqa
Jedi Knight

Post by Ekiqa »

jmac wrote:
Yay! Another Nova Scotian!
I was born in Toronto and grew up in Jimtown (now a suburb of Antigonish), and after travelling the world I ended up back where I was born. Fun fact, my sister shares Alexander Keith's birthday. :D
I was at Antigonish a few weeks ago, and we defeated the X-men in rugby.
aten_vs_ra
Padawan Learner

Post by aten_vs_ra »

"I still believe in a place called Hope." Arkansas that is.
The only new building in town.
ImageWe have great watermelons, and little fundie rednecks.
Image University of Arkansas Community College at Hope, where I will thankfully be gone from as of August 2005.
ImageOur hometown hero, whose steps I intend to follow exactly.

There really is not a fucking thing to do here unless you want to drive to Texarkana or Shreveport, but it's tolerable for a year until I go to Fayetteville.
Jin Wicked wrote:Was bloody Scrooge McDuck a goth, too? Did he ever write bad poetry in his basement with the Monopoly Guy?

"Go directly to jail. Do not pass 'Go'. Do not collect two hundred dollars."
"Life is pain."
-------Crap I Drew on my Lunch Break
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

This is what Buffalo could be if our politicians were competant enough to find their own arses with both hands and a Search and Rescue team. :roll:

I briefly visited the Inner Harbor a couple of times. It rocks.
JADAFETWA
Taco Pope
Youngling

Post by Taco Pope »

San Diego

Balboa Park

Ocean Beach

Boats and Skyline

Aircraft Carrier

Coronado Bridge

Hotel del Coronado

La Jolla

The cove

Convention Center - this is where comic con takes place

Aerial shot of Coronado and the military base.

Aerial shot of Sea World

Part of the San Diego Zoo

The Star of India

The Fairy Castle (mormon temple)

Part of the Gaslamp Quarter

Sunset
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Bay Area is an odd metropolis in that rather than being comprised of one large city surrounded by suburbs, it is comprised of three large cities surrounded by lesser cities. This fractured state is mostly due to the fact that there's a rather large body of water smack in the middle of everything, which disturbs what otherwise might be a more centralized conglomeration. But don't be fooled; though we are seemingly disparate, the constituent habitations do combine to constitute one large metropolis, economically and culturally. On to the pictures:

The flagship city of the Bay Area is beautiful San Francisco. By the way, it is always "San Francisco" and never, never "Frisco", "San Fran", or "SF". Ever. Actually, it's all right to write "SF", but never to say it.
Skyline:
Largest Chinatown outside of Asia:
The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, one of the engineering wonders of the world. In the words of USF History Professor John Bernard McGloin: "The Bay Bridge is the longest steel high-level bridge in the world. As mentioned earlier, the Yerba Buena Tunnel with its diameter of 58 feet, which forms part of the highway between San Francisco and Oakland, is the tallest bore in the world. Additionally, the Bay Bridge can boast of the fact that its construction required the greatest expenditure of funds ever used for a single structure in the history of man. Its foundations extend to the greatest depth below water of any bridge built by man; one pier was sunk at 242 feet below water, and another at 200 feet. The deeper pier is bigger than the largest of the Pyramids and required more concrete than the Empire State Building in New York." And it was completed in 1936:
Skywalker Ranch, just north of San Francisco:
South of San Francisco, San Mateo County ("The Peninsula" if you want to sound like a local) is home to a few vaguely interesting things, particularly Stanford University.
Stanford University:
The SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center), which was at one time, if not currently, the longest building in the world:
Stanford's 150 ft diameter radio telescope:

Population-wise, the largest of the Bay Area's sub-areas is Oakland and the East Bay. Oakland exists, in a sense, to do the Bay Area's grunt work. San Francisco is afforded its ivory towers and emerald fields because of the sweat and blood of Oakland's longshoremen and factory workers. Poetics aside, suffice it to say Oakland is important, if not exceedingly beautiful. When viewing the East Bay as a whole, we see an interesting juxtaposition of largely working-class Oakland (birthplace of ebonics - no joke), the upper-crust, silver-spoon Contra Costa County, and the academic and outspoken Berkeley (home of, surprisingly enough, the University of California at Berkeley).
Oakland downtown:
Gathering in Berkeley:

I grew up in Santa Clara county, known around here as the South Bay, and known around the world as Silicon Valley. The "capitol" and largest city is San Jose. I was born and raised in Santa Clara, the oldest European settlement in the Bay Area. The South Bay is home to Santa Clara University, a prominent Jesuit university, the highly-regarded San Jose Mercury News, and it is or has been home to Nvidia, Intel, Google, Hewlett Packard, Adobe, Natl Semiconductor (I think), and a host of other high-tech companies. The South Bay was traditionally the agricultural nexus of the Bay Area, and for a long time led the world in production of apricots. Through the seventies and eighties, that was phased out in favor of high technology, but in the south South Bay, agriculture is still prominent, and Gilroy is the undisputed Garlic Capitol of the World.
Downtown San Jose:
Nvidia headquarters in Santa Clara (for lack of a better thing to show):
http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=1267

Aside from the three major cities, there are a few satellites of the Bay Area. The least exciting one is Santa Rosa, to the northwest. An agricultural town specializing, as most North Bay towns do, in wine grapes. It is also boring. It is the Peanuts capital of the world, being home to the late Charles Schulz. It was also the setting for the excellent film The Man Who Wasn't There.
A statue of Charlie Brown and Snoopy:

The epicenter of "Wine Country" is Napa. Napa is a popular destination for yuppies and middle-aged people who liked Under the Tuscan Sun and think the idea of building a vacation around wine and cheese tasting is awesome. Napa, like all agricultural communities, is stupid bullshit. Even if it is pretty.
Winery:
One of the cool things in the North Bay is the Mothball Fleet, which the Navy has set aside in preparation for the day when Hitler rises from the grave and we desperately need a whole crapload of ancient destroyers and stuff:

I now live in Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz is a mid-sized town which subsists on college dollars (University of California at Santa Cruz) and tourist dollars (many good beaches, and one of the Bay Area's three prominent amusement parks). Near to Santa Cruz is Watsonville, an agricultural community noted for its artichokes and strawberries. And illegal immigrants.
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk:

And finally, the Bay itself, which binds all these places together:

And that's it. 7,000,000 plus crazy people ranging from the richest of the rich to the poorest of the poor. At least the weather's great.
Thanks to all the people whose pictures I ripped off.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB