FFIX Fanfic: NAMESAKE

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

See, Lindar. It's DBZ, only far, far better. Keep it up, Kuja.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Crying doesn't help does it? But you almost managed to get me to cry. Poor Daren. But then again, it was a coming tragedy*murr*
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

OMG, Kuja... you so rock! Making us feel sympathy for Allen! Great job!

But.. what's this on the cliff? Who will win between white knight and demon?
Com'on, Kuja, you can't leave it like that.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mopeyennuui
Padawan Learner

Post by Mopeyennuui »

Why wont' this END???
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Kuja, I've changed my mind. I don't want the demon Frey to win. Though, yes, i like both, I can only keep one...So am gonna hope that it's the good one. heh. Don't ask i spent a good 4 hours reading and rereading trying to figure some stuff out heh.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Dammit! How'd this get so far down the screen without Kuja updating it?

*gives Kuja pitiful puppy-dog eyes* Please post more?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

LadyTevar wrote:Dammit! How'd this get so far down the screen without Kuja updating it?

Working on it...I've got a lack of time combined with a mild case of writer's block...by the end of the week, I hope.
JADAFETWA
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*thwap* Can me and them beat the writers block out of ya?*thinks this might be fun mhm*
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kuja wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Dammit! How'd this get so far down the screen without Kuja updating it?

Working on it...I've got a lack of time combined with a mild case of writer's block...by the end of the week, I hope.
**offers backrubs and footrubs if it will help the writer's block**

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

*bumps*

Kuja? I hope you get over the writer's block soon :cry:

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Chapter 30: As Long As We Remember

Time passes. The world ages. People grow and change. Old memories are forgotten and new ones created to take their place. Treasures of ancient times are sometimes discovered while others are left behind forever. Kings rise and fall, as do the nations they lead. Even the gods themselves grow bored and descend to the mortal plane to seek some rekindling. And through it all, the world itself ages. Little by little, bit by bit, the unstoppable flow of time can change the very face of the world, eroding coasts and raising mountains.

To powers of such magnitude, three years is a very short time indeed.

---------------------------

Serena turned a full circle in front of the mirror while trying, but not quite succeeding, to ignore the jitters trying to creep up over her. Quelling the minor tremors in her hands, she carefully smoothed down the front of the sedate blue dress she wore. "How does it look?" she asked without taking her eyes off the mirror.

"For the fourth time in as many minutes, it looks just fine, Serena," came a reply mixed of equal parts fatigue and amusement. "Now, will you please hold still for just a moment?" Serena sighed and did so. Despite knowing what was coming, Serena still jumped when a hand brushed her ear. She tightly clasped her hands at her midsection and held herself rigid while a snug garland of white roses was placed on the crown of her head. "I think they go with your hair," her companion mentioned. Once done, the other woman stepped away and tapped her on the shoulder. "Now, turn around," she said.

Serena turned and faced her mother. Diana Crescent was neither as tall nor as lean as her daughter, but they both shared the same emerald green eyes and silvery hair of their family line. "Does it fit?" Serena asked.

Diana snorted. "You're the one wearing it, girl, you tell me." Her eyes twinkled merrily as Serena fidgeted. "Honestly, dear," she said in a much gentler tone, "take a deep breath. You're as flighty as a sparrow."

"I can't help it," Serena replied. She turned back to the mirror and examined her flowery crown. The roses really did match her hair. "It's a big day."

Diana smiled and placed a comforting hand on her daughter's shoulder. "I understand," she said. "I felt the same way the day your father and I were Sealed.

Serena blinked, unable to conceal her surprise. "You did?" Serena simply couldn't imagine her mother feeling the same as she did right now.

"Of course I did." Diana grinned and casually flipped her long braid of hair back over her shoulder, a jaunty move that made her look much younger than her years. "I was older then than you are now, but I still felt as nervous as you look at the moment."

"That's not helping."

"Just relax," her mother said sternly. "All you have to do is walk down an aisle and say a few words; you've done things just like it thousands of times before."

"It just doesn't feel that simple," Serena said with another sigh.

"I know, sweetheart. I don't think a young lady ever really understands the word 'forever' until she gets to this morning. Now, don't worry. Just be strong and hold your head up high the way you always have."

Serena managed a smile now, a faint one. "I'll do my best."

Diana returned her smile. "I know you will," she said. "You've made your father and I very proud, Serena, and we both love you very much. I want you to know that."

"I...that...thank you, mom."

"Of course, dear. Now, up and one more time around. Let's make sure I haven't missed anything."

Serena turned in a slow circle, feeling her mother smooth out the odd wrinkle in her dress. When she came back to face the mirror, she tilted her head and gently rested a hand on her midsection. "Does it show yet?" she asked softly.

"Not a whit," her mother said confidently. "But just wait another month or two. Then you'll start to notice." She caught Serena's soft smile. "I can tell you like that idea."

"I do."

Diana took a step back and straightened up. "Have you got a name in mind?"

"No, not yet. We'll see soon."

There was a brief knock on the door to the room and when Diana went to open it, Serena's father stuck his head in the door. "Is everything okay in here?" he asked.

"Perfectly," her mother replied. "She's all set; take a look."

He smiled as Serena dropped him a quick bow. "You look marvelous, dear. Now, let's not keep everyone waiting." He opened the door wide. "Shall we?"

---------------------------

Gizamaluke's grotto, Serena decided, hadn't changed much in three years. It was still wonderfully cool and easy on the eyes. The only changes she noticed were a series of banners the same shade of oceanic blue as her dress, and those had been put up just for the ceremony today. Sometime tomorrow, they would be taken down again. Serena and her parents walked through the halls at a not-quite-hurried pace until they reached a small audience chamber. On the other side, Serena knew, was the huge room where Gizamaluke conducted Sealings. Right now, it was most likely filled to the brim with family members and fellow Dragon Knights. Normally, only family was allowed to watch the ceremony, but it had long since been tradition for fellow Dragon Knights to attend the Sealing of one of their own. Or two.

Her mother's voice suddenly interrupted her thoughts. "Jayson," she said. "Where's your sash?"

Serena's father reached for his belt. "It's right-" he suddenly stopped. "It's right on top of my cloak!" He grimaced. "I'll be right back," he said, then turned and dashed out.

Serena's mother sighed deeply, but smiled. "All these years and he hasn't changed a bit," she said. She turned as Serena began nervously tapping her foot. "Here now!" she said quickly. "None of that." She took Serena by the arm and held her until she finally stopped. "Now, I'm going to go in there and let them know we'll be a minute." She winked conspiratorially. "And I'll be sure to blame it on your father." With that, Diana turned and calmly breezed out, leaving Serena to herself.

Or so she thought until she turned and noticed the other occupant of the chamber. The figure was tall but possessed of a strange hunchbacked stance and swathed in a heavy, ragged cloak that covered it so completely, Serena couldn't tell whether the person was human or Burmecian, or even male or female. The person stood facing the wall, reading one of the many engravings there. She shrugged mentally and turned away again, silently rehearsing her lines for the ceremony. When the figure spoke, it caught her completely off-guard. "You are Serena Crescent." The voice was hushed, but unmistakably male.

"Yes, that's right," she replied.

The cloaked man turned away from the wall, but did not face her, keeping his face well hidden within his hood. "I see."

A long moment of silence passed between them. "Do I know you?" she finally asked.

There was a soft chuckle. "No, no you don't," the man said. "I know you quite well, on the other hand."

Serena felt a veil of suspicion rising inside her. "Who are you?" she asked, her voice hardening unconsciously.

"It is immaterial." For the first time, Serena noticed the hilt of a sword protruding from the man's cloak. She suddenly felt very nervous to be in the same room as this stranger and unarmed. Abruptly, he spoke again. "It may be that you and I will meet again, Serena Crescent. If not, I shall see you through the eyes of another." With that cryptic remark, the cloaked figure turned and left the room.

Before Serena could even begin to gather herself, her father came back, now wearing his sash around his waist. "Right, right," he was saying aloud, "let's-" he broke off as he noticed the look on Serena's face. "What's wrong?" he promptly asked. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

Serena blinked rapidly and threw a smile onto her face. "Nothing," she lied. "Just thinking."

"I see," he said, his tone a bit skeptical. "Well, all right." He blinked. "Where's your mother?"

"Right here," Diana said as she stepped back in from the larger chamber. "Are we ready now?"

"I think so. Serena?"

Serena took a deep breath. "Let's go."

-------------------------------------

To say that the chamber was large was an understatement of grand proportions. It was enormous, eclipsed only by the massive cavern where Serena had first laid eyes on Master Gizamaluke. Now, as then, he dominated the room like a living demigod, his awesome yet wondrous presence seeming to fill the entire chamber and leave those within breathless. Serena felt lightheaded, but she brushed the feeling aside and resolutely strode further in. The aisle was made of obsidian, forming a glossy black road to the altar over which Gizamaluke presided. As Serena walked in, her parents at her flanks, those present sent up a wave of applause that washed over her like a reassuring balm. Unlike most human marriages, a Burmecian Sealing was generally conducted without all that overloud music, a facet for which Serena was supremely thankful for at this particular moment. She didn't think her ears could have handled it at this point in time.

As she walked, she took note of the people to either side of her. To her left were familiar faces: aunts, uncles, cousins, her sisters, her younger brother. All of them wore open smiles. To the right were less familiar but equally joyful faces. Then she was past both of these groups and to either side of her was a new kind of face. These did not radiate happiness and joy as did the two families behind her, but they did wear expressions of honest support and congratulation. In addition, all of them had one other thing in common: each of them wore a hat mounting a set of stylized wings, the symbol of the Dragon Knights. They were Burmecia's most loyal and elite soldiers. They were also some of her closest friends.

Almost there now. Her parents stopped just before the altar, leaving her to take the last few steps on her own. After a journey that had taken her a hundred thousand years and a few seconds, she finally came to a stop next to the man she intended to spend the rest of her life beside. "You look wonderful," Daren whispered out of the corner of his mouth.

"Thank you," she whispered back, her mind wandering back into the past. Three years ago, she could never have predicted that she would one day be standing here alongside Daren. It was amazing how time and events could slowly change a person. Three years past, Daren had been little more than a distant friend and comrade, brought closer than most by shared experience and grief. As the days passed and Daren helped her through her sorrow over losing Frey and they both mourned Allen, she slowly came to see him as a very treasured friend. More time went by and friendship slowly grew into an awkward sort of attraction, which in turn had finally blossomed into an honest adoration. She-

Gizamaluke cleared his throat slightly and spoke, killing her train of thought. "I welcome all of you," he said formally, and the chamber fell silent. "We are all here today to bear witness to the Sealing of Dragon Knight Daren Olivera and Dragon Knight Serena Crescent." He paused and a smirk touched his scaled face. "Otherwise, you're in the wrong room." There was a shiver of laughter, and Gizamaluke became serious again. "Serena Crescent," he said gravely, "you may begin."

Serena took a deep breath as she placed her left hand over her heart and held up her right, fingers splayed. She spoke in native Burmecian, her voice clear and strong. "I, Serena Crescent, do here solemnly and truly declare that I, possessed of clear mind and will, desire to be forever twined to Daren Olivera, who stands beside me at this altar, come what may." She let her remaining breath out in relief and relaxed.

"So it is heard, and so it shall be," Gizamaluke said with a bow of his head. He turned to face Daren. "The lady has stated her oath," he said, "will you now state yours?"

"I will," he said firmly, and adopted the same pose that Serena had moments ago. "I, Daren Olivera, do here solemnly and truly declare that I, possessed of clear mind and will, desire to be forever twined to Serena Crescent, who stands beside me at this altar, come what may."

"So it is heard, and so it shall be," Gizamaluke repeated. He reared and flapped his wings once, rising higher into the air. "Serena Crescent and Daren Olivera, you have each taken your oaths, and have proven to me that your desire is true." He raised his head and looked out over those assembled. "However, if any of those present have reason that this ceremony must be halted, they may speak now."

Serena thought her heart would stop for good when she actually heard someone speak. "I don't actually want to stop the ceremony, but I'd like to say something, if it's alright."

As if jerked by an invisible puppeteer, everyone in the chamber spun to look towards the source of the voice – the chamber's main entrance. There in the doorway stood a dead man. In shock, Serena somehow whispered his name only a moment before Daren shouted, "Frey!" in amazement.

The dead man bowed respectfully, a smile touching his lips. He began to stride towards the altar, the people to his left and right either too amazed or too confused by his audacity to stop him. Frey had changed from when Serena had last seen him. His hair was growing shaggy, though it looked like he'd raked it into a semblance of order for the occasion. He wore a thin gray cloak that fell only to the backs of his calves. That was when Serena noticed that everything he wore was either an off-white or plain grey. Even the sword hanging at his hip – she recognized Salvation's hilt – rested in a sheath of undecorated steel. However, what ensnared her more than anything were his eyes. Despite his smile, Frey's eyes now carried a haunted look, as though he were expecting something to leap out and attack him. He continued forward until he stood at the foot of the altar. "May I approach?" he asked. Serena found that her mouth wasn't working.

"You came this far, Alexandrian," Gizamaluke said. "You might was well come the rest of the way."

The smile grew, but it seemed unsteady. "Thank you, Master Gizamaluke," he said, and stepped up until he stood right before Serena. He put his hand out. "Hello, Serena," he said softly. "It's been a long time."

Almost automatically, she began to reach for his hand. Then, in a sudden explosion of movement, she launched herself forward and threw her arms around his neck. His own wound around her waist as she buried her face in his shoulder, tears beginning to flow. She was vaguely aware of someone making a startled objection and Gizamaluke quieting them. "I thought you were dead," she finally whispered.

"I'm sorry," he murmured. "Things...happened. I missed you."

"I missed you so much..." She tightened her hold on him. "Where have you been all this time? Why haven't you ever come to find me?"

"Serena," he said, and gently pushed her out far enough to look her in the eyes. "Trust me when I say that I didn't have any other choice. I know you must've been hurting, thinking I was gone, and whenever the thought crossed my mind of not ever seeing you again," he shuddered, "well, they were bad times."

Her hands tightened on his shoulders. "But that's over now, isn't it?" she asked. "You're back to stay?"

His smile wilted and she felt an icy cold form in her stomach. "I'm sorry," he said, confirming her fear, "but I can't. It would be nice…but there's still things that need to be done. I just wanted to be here for you today." He reached up and took her hands in his. "And I want you to know that I wish you nothing but the best."

Serena felt her head slowly drop. Then, she reached out with one hand and touched Frey's shirt. "The pendent I gave you," she said. "What happened?"

He quickly took her hand back. "Gone," he said. "I lost it in the explosion that night." She wasn't certain, but something about his tone rang false. She decided she was just unsettled.

"Am I ever going to see you again?" she asked.

"Oh, you never know where a renegade like me can pop up," he said with a bit of his old charm.

"I hate you," she suddenly said, "for making me suffer all this time without needing to." She paused. "But I can't tell you how glad I am to know you're alive." She leaned forward and kissed him. He didn't fight it. A few more exclamations burst from the crowd, and even Diana raised an eyebrow. Surprisingly, Daren was the one who waved them down this time. Serena finally released Frey with a whispered, "I love you."

"I love you too," he whispered back.

"Goodbye, Frey."

"Goodbye, Serena." He gave her hands one last squeeze and finally pulled away from her, turning to Daren. He reached out and poked the other man in the shoulder none too gently. "You," he said firmly, "will take damn good care of her, understand?"

Daren nodded. "I will," he promised.

Frey reached out to shake his hand. "And take care of yourself, too."

Daren grasped Frey's hand in both of his and shook firmly. "Done."

"I thought I was the one administering this ceremony," Gizamaluke interrupted dryly. "But since it seems my presence is no longer required, perhaps I can get on with my other duties."

Frey turned to look up at the master of the grotto. "Far be it from me to take over your job, Gizamaluke," he said, and mock-saluted.

As he turned to leave, however, Serena suddenly burst out, "you'll at least stay until the ceremony's over, won't you?"

He blinked. "Well, I-"

One of the Dragon Knights stood. "It is traditional for only family and fellow Dragon Knights to attend such a Sealing," he said.

Diana Crescent loudly cleared her throat. "And it is only tradition," she said firmly. "If my daughter wants him to stay, he stays." The Dragon Knight sat down again and Diana gestured to Frey. "You can come stand with my husband and I," she invited.

"In that case, of course I'll stay," he said, and promptly joined Serena's parents.

"Well then," Gizamaluke said with mock haughtiness. "Let's get this ceremony back on track, before we all end up spending the night here." His comment garnered a laugh, but a very small one. People knew this was no occasion to take lightly. "Daren Olivera and Serena Crescent," he said with great force. "I have presided over many Sealings, but I can truly say that I have never felt so honored to do so as I do today. You helped to save my grotto and the lives of the people within from defilement and destruction. I am greatly heartened that I can return the favor to you now in this fashion." Gizamaluke's eyes suddenly flicked up and over Serena's shoulder towards the crowd, then back to the two of them. A tremendous urge to spin around took hold of her, but she fought back and managed to remain composed, but she couldn't banish the sudden fear deep inside of her. Gizamaluke went on. "With the position and powers therein granted to me by the city of Burmecia, and as the master of the ground upon which you now stand, I hereby pronounce you Sealed, now and forever. Be ever faithful and true to each other. It is done."

As the last word left Gizamaluke's mouth, the people in the chamber sent up a rousing applause. Serena and Daren turned to bow to them in thanks – and Serena realized that Frey had gone. She locked eyes with her mother, who shrugged as though she didn't understand as well. "He didn't see," she said softly. "He didn't see us Sealed."

Daren's gaze was reassuring somehow, as was the gentle squeeze he gave her hand. "Maybe," he said, "maybe he thought he didn't need to."

Serena looked at him as his words slowly registered. Then, a smile finally began to tug at the corner of her mouth. "Yeah," she said, "maybe you're right." He grinned and pulled her to him. To the cheers of friends and family, he embraced her and gently kissed her lips.

A new life was about to begin for both of them.
JADAFETWA
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Fantastic end to it all :D
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Ghost Rider wrote:Fantastic end to it all :D
Who says this is the end?
JADAFETWA
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Fantastic... but what's up with Frey?

I hate loose ends. *grumps*

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Kuja wrote:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*snuggles Kuja*

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Kuja wrote:
To that particular chapter of their lives it is :D .

Other stories and other times, but as is that adventure came to an end.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

noooooo that adventure isn't done yet...at least Frey's isn't...he said so*that's what understood from what Frey said heh,frets* But am glad that other one let Serena be.*wrinkles nose*

*hugs Kuja* Good Bit! but I want to know more about the bad one.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Yayy... this part is finally done! So when do we get to read the rest?
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

...Hmmm.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Chapter 31: Beneath the Pale Moonlight

With the sole exception of the crackling fire, the world was silent. As always, the Mist hung around them like a stifling wet blanket. Zidane sat with his legs crossed, staring into the fire. For once, even his tail was still. Quina blinked his eyes slowly. Vivi kept his eyes fixed on Freya, waiting for her to continue. A minute passed while she sat quietly, then a second, and he finally couldn't wait any longer. "What then?" he asked.

Freya raised an eyebrow at him. "And then," she said, "my mother and father went home with the rest of their families. Time passed and I was born, and they decided to name me after Frey." She brushed a lock of silver hair behind her ear.

Zidane looked up at her. "What happened to Frey after that?"

She shrugged. "I don't know, Zidane. Sometimes I don't think anybody really knows. In between raising me and my brothers and sisters and her duties in Burmecia, my mother spent some time trying to track him down. From what she told me, everything turned up as a dead end." She hesitated, gathering her thoughts. "You see, while Frey was no national hero, he wasn't unknown either. He had friends in Treno, Lindblum, and Alexandria that my mother tried getting in touch with, but none of them knew what had happened to him. Some of them thought he was dead. Some of them said he'd gone mad. Some of them said that he'd left Mist Continent to accompany groups of historians to Daguerro as protection. Some said he spent the remainder of his life chasing demons. But none of them could offer more than vague rumors, and my mother eventually gave up."

"Sad ending," Quina said. "No fun to lose friends."

"Yeah," Zidane agreed. Vivi noticed that he suddenly seemed far away. Was he thinking about his friend Blank, who had been turned to stone along with the Evil Forest? Or was Dagger the one on his mind?

"So, Vivi," Freya said without warning. "Did my story shed some light on what Gizamaluke was really like?"

He looked at her blankly for a moment, then recalled his words from before her continuation. "Oh, yeah," he said. "I feel kind of sorry for him. It's too bad he's gone."

Freya laughed bitterly. "Yes, it's too bad, isn't it? And by the hand of a Dragon Knight, no less."

"Stop beating yourself up, Freya," Zidane said firmly. "It wasn't your fault. You didn't show up looking for an excuse to kill him; you were forced into it." Zidane reached out and gently touched Vivi's shoulder. "Gizamaluke was just like Vivi's…well, brothers. He wasn't evil. He was corrupted." His eyes hardened. "If you want to blame anyone, blame Queen Brahne."

Vivi turned to look at him. "Do you really think the other black mages are okay inside?"

Zidane hesitated. "Yeah," he finally said. "I do. They stuck up for you once, Vivi. They're just in a bad jam because Brahne and her little friends have their grubby paws on the control levers, if you catch my drift."

"But what about the mages we ran into in the grotto?"

Zidane hitched again, but Freya swept in. "Zidane's right; we didn't have any choice but to fight back." Freya's eyes suddenly seemed more determined than ever. "We need to get to Burmecia, and we need to stop whatever fighting's going on there. If Vivi's...brothers really are innocent, I see no problem with liberating them along with my people. But if we're going to do that, we need to stay alive." She looked up at the night sky. "Innocent people might die, but this is war, and bad things happen."

"Wow!" Quina said. "Freya really tough!"

"You got that right," Zidane said with a smirk.

"Enough of that," she said with what Vivi thought was an embarrassed smile.

Zidane winked. "Sorry Freya, but it's your fault for being the only girl in an all-guy group. Naturally we're going to fawn all over you."

"I'm gonna tell Dagger," Vivi threatened.

Zidane paled. "You wouldn't," he said. Vivi chuckled.

"Got you."

--------------------------

Hours passed, and Vivi still couldn't sleep. He lay on his back, looking up at the stars. He counted sheep. He thought about how tired he was and how nice it would be to drift off. None of it worked. With a resigned sigh, he finally sat up and threw the cover of his sleeping bag off. Maybe a little walk would help.

He found her standing at the edge of their improvised camping ground, her hands empty, her face tilted back to look at the sky. "Freya?"

"Couldn't sleep?"

"I wanted to ask you something, if that's okay."

"Ask away."

"Does your father still use black magic?"

She rolled her head a bit as she spoke. "He did for quite awhile, but he finally quit a few years ago."

He blinked. "Why?"

"He said it was getting to be too much of an effort for him any more."

"What did he mean by that?"

She shrugged. "If we meet up with him, you'll have to ask him yourself."

Vivi reached up and adjusted his hat as he thought. Freya's story hadn't answered all of his questions about black magic. In fact, it had made him more anxious in some ways. If white magic was born from a desire to help and do good, did that mean black magic came from the wish to hurt people? Was that why Daren had given it up? Or had he done it simply because it was too exhaustive to keep up for him?

"You look troubled," Freya said casually.

"Freya, do you think using black magic is bad?" he blurted.

She turned to look at him. "I don't think I understand."

He fidgeted. "The only black mages that ever spoke to me were called Waltzes." He shivered. "They were scary. But from what I can tell, they were advanced versions of me and the other black mages. Freya, I'm worried that if I keep using black magic, I could end up being just like them! I'm worried that you have to have something bad inside to use black magic, and if I keep using it, I'll make it worse!"

"I don't believe that for an instant," Freya said promptly. "Vivi, you're one of the gentlest people I've ever met. I flat refuse to believe that you're going to turn into something evil."

"I wonder if your mom felt the same way about Frey."

Silence followed as Freya stared at Vivi in open shock. Then, she walked up to him and crouched so that they were face-to-face. "You're really worried about this, aren't you?" she asked. He nodded. "Vivi, I haven't known you very long, but I think your concern about this is more serious than it needs to be." She knelt. "To answer your question, no, I don't think that black magic is bad in and of itself. Yes, there's a stigma attached to it, but it can be dangerous if it gets out of control, not because the people who use it are invariably bad. Are there some evil people who use black magic? Of course, but that can be said for every profession in the world. Can black magic be used for evil? Of course, but so can a sword. That same sword could also be displayed as the one used by a hero who saved that day. You see Vivi, black magic is just like any other tool out there. It isn't good or evil in and of itself, it's all in the application."

"Do you really think so?"

"I really do, and I'm sure my father will back me up if you ask him."

"But..."

"But what?"

"If that's true, then why is it that only certain people can use black magic? Is it because they have something in them that makes them good at it? I want to know what."

Freya snorted. "Of course some people have a talent for black magic," she said. "The same way that some people have a talent for brawling, or swordsmanship, or carpentry, or anything else. You're overthinking the problem, Vivi. You're looking at black magic and white magic as two clearly defined absolutes...good and evil. But when you stop to think about it, white magic can be used for evil just as well as black magic."

"But...white magic comes from a desire to help people, doesn't it?"

"It can...but if the will to survive is strong enough, even a cruel and evil person can manipulate it to keep themselves alive."

He fidgeted. "I think I get your point, but I'm still not sure."

She rolled her eyes and used a choice word. "Vivi, if you light a campfire using black magic to provide heat and light to you and your friends, are you doing good or evil?"

"Well, good, I guess."

"If you create a waterspout to put out a burning house, are you doing good or evil?"

"Good."

"And if you use your magic to kill a monster that was threatening the life of a friend, is that good or evil?"

"Um, good."

"Now do you understand? It's not the means, it's the intent guiding them that makes magic good or evil."

"I get it." She nodded and looked off north again while he looked down at his feet. Finally, a new thought came to mind. "Freya?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you think we can save the other black mages? Can we really help them?"

She chewed her lip. "Well, the only ones like you that I've run into were while we were fighting, so I'm not really sure. I'd like to think that we can, because then maybe we could broker a truce." She looked up at Vivi and smiled. "But if they're anything at all like you on the inside, Vivi, I'm sure we can."

He chuckled. "Thanks."

Zidane's voice reached both of them. "Vivi, you were this worried and you never told me?" Both of them looked up as the blond rogue crept over to them. He looked at Vivi. "Don't you trust me?"

Vivi adjusted his hat again. "Of course I do, Zidane. It's just that, well, I didn't think you'd understand. And I was afraid of telling anyone this. I just…I just kept in inside so long it had to come out. And I wanted to talk to Freya about it because of her father."

"I understand," Zidane said as he flopped down next to them. "Vivi, I want you to know that you can trust me. I wouldn't break faith with you for anything."

"The same goes for me," Freya added.

"Thanks, you guys."

Quina suddenly appeared over Zidane's shoulder. Zidane yelped and leaped up. "Hey, that's not funny!"

Freya smirked. "You're just angry that you got snuck up on, thief."

Quina ignored both of them. "Vivi, no good to have friends if you no trust them," he said. "Is what friends are for. Is like making soup with no broth; would not be soup. Understand?"

"I think I get it."

Quina licked his lips. "Friends there for you when you need them. We here for you, Vivi. We friends. We help you now. Later on, you help us, maybe. Understand?"

"Of course I'll help you if you need it."

Quina spread his arms. "Then we no have problem anymore!" he said brightly. "We go to Freya's home and help them, because they Freya's friends. We help black mages too, because they Vivi's friends. Maybe it be tough to do, but we work hard and we do it."

Zidane was biting his lip to keep from laughing. "You've got it, man," he managed.

Freya sighed tolerantly. "You make it sound so simple," she said as she stood. She turned to face north, where Burmecia lay ahead. "I wish I knew whether my family is alright or not."

"We find out soon," Quina reassured her.

"Soon isn't soon enough for me."

"Don't get too far ahead of yourself," Zidane warned. He snorted. "Baku would smack me for saying this, but we need to be careful, not charge in like the cavalry. I mean, all we really know is that Burmecia is being attacked by Queen Brahne and the black mages. For all we know, Burmecia might be winning."

"Is that what you really think, Zidane?" Vivi asked.

"Well, it..." he trailed off. "No," he finally admitted. "Knowing what some of those mages can pull off, I don't think so."

"I can't stand it," Freya said. "Not knowing is torture."

"Fine," Zidane said. "We're all up and awake, so we might as well keep moving. If we go quick enough, we can reach Burmecia by tomorrow evening. Sound good?"

"Let's get our equipment and go," Freya promptly replied.

As the four of them turned back towards that camp, Zidane laid a hand on Vivi's shoulder. "Hey," he said. "I want you to know that no matter what happens, I'll be there to back you up. Promise."

"Thanks, Zidane."

-----------------------------

The hazy moonlight shone down on four moving figures. The last of them, the largest, wore a ridiculous pastel outfit and carried a massive fork in one hand. His enormous tongue flopped back over his shoulder as he ran like a giant scarf. Ahead of him was a small figure, no larger than a young boy. The smaller figure wore a tattered steepled hat, equally faded robes, and carried a twisted wooden staff in both hands. His unnatural yellow eyes shone softly in the dark. Second in line was a slight young man, his blond hair recklessly tied back in a short ponytail. At his belt was a pair of sheathed daggers, leaving his hands free so he could hold the straps of his pack. He ran gracefully, his furry tail helping to keep his balance. Ahead of them all was a tall Burmecian woman, her lance out and ready to spear any dangers that might threaten her or the others. Her green eyes were fixed on the slight glow in the distances that was her homeland. Above it, black clouds rolled through the sky. Storm coming, thought Freya Crescent, but she knew that was partially incorrect. The real storm had already come to Burmecia in the form of an army of black mages. And now, she and her makeshift group were rushing headlong into the eye of that storm in the hopes that they could find a way to stop it. Most people would classify such an act as insanity. Freya knew it was different. It was determination. Determination, hope, stubbornness, and a bloody-minded refusal to give up.

Her namesake had possessed such determination, and so did she. Silently, she prayed that her decision to return was the right one. Zidane and Vivi, and even Quina, they had all come along with her of their own free will, but if they died because of a war that wasn't theirs to fight, Freya knew she would never forgive herself.

Well then, she thought with a smile, you'd just better make damn sure that they don't die. And while you're at it, let's see if you can keep yourself out of the fire along with them. She nodded to herself and brought her head back to where it needed to be: watching out for dangers. Her home, and her destiny, lay ahead. Right now, she needed to concentrate.

The four of them kept going.
JADAFETWA
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Sounds like a wrapup to me!

Great job, Kuja!

Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Gee...well...*hrmmms* Works for me. *pokes* I'll be waiting to know more though.*grins* but you already know that. The end is truly good all in all. Really it is Kid.

It's true though, the concern. And I don't blame him one bit. Everyone feels that at some point, and it did need addressing.

*tips hat* Keep it up.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Hmm, interesting. Good, very good, but...I don't know. Missing something, I think. :?
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Zaia wrote:Hmm, interesting. Good, very good, but...I don't know. Missing something, I think. :?
I understand that feeling hun.*hrmms* maybe he'll explain?
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Decent epilogue, but...just I dunno...too clean of a wrap up.