FFIX Fanfic: NAMESAKE

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

You all thought it was over, didn't you?

First Epilogue: Until the Bitter End

Frey's footsteps echoed around him as he quickly strode through the hallway. Behind him, he could still hear the applause and cheers coming from Serena's wedding. He pursed his lips, angry that he had been unable to stay for Serena's sake, but at the same time, he just knew he had to keep moving. As he walked, he occasionally passed a few Burmecians, dressed in the robes and sashes of the grotto. Several of them even looked vaguely familiar, but he didn't have time to stop and exchange pleasantries. He returned courteous nods and greetings with a short nod in return, never slacking his brisk pace.

Only once did his legs threaten to hitch up. As he passed a junction in the hallway, he happened to notice a Burmecian woman out of the corner of his eye. She looked very familiar to him, and he instinctively started to slow. But even as the name 'Miranda' occurred to him, he sped up again, leaving her in the corridor behind. Up ahead, he could see the sunlight pouring into the grotto.

As he left the grotto, he quickly looked left and right, as though checking for threats. In fact, that was exactly what he was doing. Finding nothing, he promptly turned east towards South Gate. As he walked, his eyes continually scanned the surrounding area. Time passed, and he finally decided to take a break. Even as he sat down, he heard a familiar voice speak.

"Was it an enjoyable ceremony?"

Frey Amethyst shot to his feet and spun around, Salvation already one-quarter out of her sheath.

Frey Amethyst stood atop a large boulder, still wearing his tattered black cloak. He appeared hunchbacked, but that was only due to the fact that he had to fold his wings in to fit under the cloak.

Frey Amethyst slowly eased Salvation back, but didn't let go of her entirely. "It was," he said.

Frey Amethyst chuckled softly. "I saw her in the audience chamber, you know. I even got to speak to her."

Frey started. "You'd better not have-"

"Calm yourself," Frey replied with a flippant wave. "I didn't hurt her."

"You thought about it."

"Well, I won't deny that one."

Frey grimaced. "You're more audacious than I gave you credit for."

Frey shrugged. "So, Serena's been Sealed. Now what? Back to our endless dance of chases and duels?"

"That was my idea."

The cloaked man sighed. "I grow weary of this eternal hunt."

"Like it or not, I'm chasing you down."

"To what end?"

"What?"

The red-eyed Frey sneered. "Come now, don't tell me that you haven't thought about what you're going to do with me."

"Truth be told, I haven't," the blue-eyed man replied. "My only goal is killing you, nothing more."

"Why?"

"You know why."

"Indulge me. I don't think I'm all that bad as to merit this lifelong chase."

Frey snarled. "There's some that would say otherwise. If they weren't too traumatized to speak that is." The man in the black cloak drew in a quick breath and the blue-eyed one glared at him. "I saw what you did to Corri, you sick bastard," he said. "She can't even walk on her own anymore. So don't you tell me that I shouldn't be hunting you down, and don't you dare say that you deserve a life of your own."

Frey Amethyst was silent for a time. Then, he finally shrugged. "I see that trying to sway you is useless," he said.

"You're damn right it is."

"So then, what are we to do? Wile away the years trying to kill each other? Or do we finish it here and now?" As he spoke, Frey's clawed hand rose to rest itself on Black Wind.

"Not here, and not now," Frey replied. He hesitated. "But on some level, you're right. This can't continue on forever. I want to end it as much as you do." Silence hung in the air. A cold breeze touched them both, making them shiver. "It'll be snowing soon," Frey commented.

"What do you say to a month from now?"

"Where?"

"Alexandria?"

"As good as any other, I suppose."

The red-eyed Frey slowly drew Black Wind. The other Frey watched him cautiously, knowing that he might leap at him at any moment. "A month, then. I'll see you in Alexandria. And this time..."

"...only one of us walks away," Frey confirmed.

"So be it." Frey resheathed the sword. Once that was done, he removed his cloak and folded, placing it in a pouch. The other Frey looked fully upon his darker self's features, features that were even more horrifying now that they were familiar to him.

Glaring red eyes. Shark-like teeth in a human's mouth. Ashen black skin spotted with strange scales. Hands clawed like a lizardman. A lashing black tail with a trio of wicked barbs on the end. And black, leathery, gargoyle wings that were now being stretched to their full wingspan. He flexed them once. "Thirty days. Then this gets sorted out once and for all."

"How will I find you?"

The dark Frey snorted. "You've done it plenty of times. I'm sure you can muster the strength to do it once more." With that, he flapped his wings and took off.

Frey watched him head north over the mountains. Heaven help the dragons who run into him, he thought.

With that, he turned and continued his journey east, his thoughts now locked on his upcoming duel. If everything's coming to a head, he thought, then it's finally time for me to get my ace out. A slow smile spread across his lips.

----------------------------

I'm going to die tonight. I know it in my gut. My years of freedom are coming to an end. I don't know how I know, but I do.

Thunder crashes outside, muffled somewhat by the thick walls of the church. Rain pours down from the cold night sky, drenching Alexandria. Everyone has long since run home because of the violent storm. It's the perfect night for a showdown.

For him, that is. This night will see the last three years of his life vindicated. As for me, I will likely be once again enslaved within him. Or perhaps not. Perhaps he will obliterate me completely. The heavens know I've made him angry enough.

A smile touches my lips.

I wonder how he found Corri? He certainly surprised me with that one. What really took me by surprise, though, was that she lived in the first place. Most of the females I get to know as intimately as her don't last very long.

The smile grows.

My fingers tap the hilt of Black Wind. It tries to speak to me, but I ignore it. Ceyphus. Hah. What a fool. His wraith appeared to me once, and had the audacity to try and coerce me into becoming his successor. As if I were no better then that idiot Allen! I am three times the greatness Allen could have ever hoped to have been. Ceyphus found out the hard way. I tore through his soul the way a dragon feasts on its prey, the music of his screams ringing in my ears.

Ceyphus of Alexandria will no longer threaten anyone. He was killed by a bigger predator.

My wings flex at the memory. My discarded cloak lies on the stone floor of the church. Win or lose, I won't be needing it anymore. If I am victorious tonight, there will be nothing left to stop me. I will ravage this world the way I ravaged Corri with no need to hide myself. The knights of Alexandria are too weak, the Dragon Knights too few, and the airships of Lindblum too clumsy to stop me. On the other hand, if I lose, I'll have no more need for a cloak. And for some reason, I am increasingly certain that I am going to lose tonight.

My tail lashes as I fill my lungs and bellow furiously. Hah. That should attract the weakling's attention, if he didn't already know where I was. I hear the crunching of wood as my tail slams into one of the nearby benches and breaks through the arm. I pull it out, enlarging the hole even further. It's nothing. Who cares about a bench, anyway?

Maybe Frey was right when he said I don't deserve my freedom. Hah! I don't give a damn. I'm not worried about who or what I hurt. All I care about is enjoying my hard-earned freedom. He has no idea how difficult it was for me to be trapped for all time, watching everything through his eyes, unable to move. I hurt people? I was tortured first!

And then along came Serena. I suppose I should thank that rat for being as independent as I am now. After all, without her, Frey never would have faced Allen down, and I wouldn't have found the path to my freedom. He can't imagine the sheer effort it took to will his lifeless hand to move and grasp the Black Wind. By the blade. I seized upon his agony and willed myself to be free! But...something went awry.

My original intention was to simply take his form and…modify it a bit. But when I took up the Black Wind, we split. I do not know why. And then I stood over him, gloating. Because he had triggered the Climhazzard while in full control, only he had received that grievous wound. As his eyes glazed over, I reached down and plucked the emerald pendant from his neck, assuring him that I would keep it as a memento of my victory.

I have made few mistakes as foolish as that one.

I underestimated him, badly. He whispered under his breath, and as he did so, he began to glow. I realized my blunder and quickly struck out at him, but it was already too late. Salvation – curse that sword! – swung up to stop Black Wind and my blow landed to the side. He leapt up as though he had been renewed completely. He attacked and I fled in panic. How foolish of me! I should have crushed his throat then and there, before he had learned the extent of my strength! But I was new to the world around me. Until then, I had not yet truly lived, and I was frightened. He chased me to the land's edge as though he were inexhaustible. It was only then that I rallied and fought him tooth and nail.

Repeat time and again for three years.

I care little weather I win or lose tonight. For three years, I have traveled throughout this continent, feeling and tasting it firsthand. I have walked the cobblestone streets of Alexandria. I have wandered through the great marble stadium at Treno. I have led the royal guards of Lindblum on a merry chase through the palace, enjoying every moment of it. I have stood, hooded and cloaked, before the stoic city of Burmecia. I have even seen Cleyra, from a distance. The wonders never cease.

There's a rumble, and it isn't thunder this time. Someone's banging on the door of the church. I draw Black Wind for what will be the last time.

I turn just as the locked door splinters open. It's him, as I knew it would be. He steps in, out of the rain, but makes no attempt to move closer. Our eyes lock. His burn with some divine ferocity that unnerves even me. Then, he reaches down to his waist and draws two swords. Two. The one in his left hand is familiar. A clear blade etched with various runes – I could recognize Salvation a mile away and blindfolded.

The other sword is new, but also familiar in an intangible sort of way. It is a blade of pure white. Elaborate gold tracery spirals down to a decorative hilt. I recognize this new sword. It is the antithesis to the one held in my hand. The sword of Dromenephus – White Light.

He must have found the tomb, or did Dromenephus lead him to it? Hah. I suppose it doesn't matter now, does it? I face him down and he brings the two swords up, even through we are a good thirty feet apart. No normal man would ever try to carry a pair of broadswords into a duel; it would be folly. But he is a white wizard, is he not? Equally important, he is a swordsman. He knows what he is doing.

Now I understand my premonition of death. Against Salvation I can hold my own. But against both Salvation and White Light? No. I'm dead already, and I'm just waiting for the blow to prove it to me. But then, that doesn't mean I need to go quietly does it? I slowly raise my free hand and gently lick the blood from my claws, enjoying the disgust in his eyes.

The preacher's death was one last release. One final act of wanton destruction to throw in his face.

Lightning flashes. Thunder rumbles, and he bolts forward with a yell. I roar back, every bit the beast at bay. My wings stretch and I leap at him, ready to go down fighting.

Our blades clash and the battle is joined.
JADAFETWA
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*whoops and hollers* Yay! OK…now….let’s see how this ends….*settles watching though almost already knows, glee what fun* Great Job kid! *wants moreeee though huff puff*
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

YES!! Thank you, Kuja!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Now you just have to put down that last chapter/epilogue for the battle itself...
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Second Epilogue: Beneath Rain and Ruin

While four adventurers made their way north through the moonlit night, the last remnants of the Burmecian army retreated towards the palace, effectively conceding much of their city to the invading forces of Alexandria. For the first time in the history of Mist Continent, one of the four great cities – Burmecia, Cleyra, Lindblum, and Alexandria – had been taken by an opposing nation. It was a momentous day. It was also sickening.

Such were the thoughts of General Beatrix of Alexandria as she walked along one of the streets of Burmecia. Just ahead of her strode Queen Brahne, her fan waving furiously to cool her face. Beatrix didn't know why she bothered. Rain drizzled down from the sky and the wind was blowing, chilling her despite her armor. The somber weather seemed to reflect the mood of the conquered city.

Beatrix's lone eye wandered from her path and she looked to the side of the road. More specifically, she regarded the people she saw there. Not everyone in Burmecia was a soldier. Some were painters. Some were teachers. Some were bricklayers. Some were blacksmiths. But now, all of them were suffering. The people of the city had been pulled from their homes and herded to the sides of the roads before being shipped off to an area where the Alexandrian army could keep a better eye on them. Many of them were injured. Despite being innocent civilians, many people had been wounded or even killed when they'd run afoul of one of Brahne's black mages. The golems killed without thought or conscience. They had been told to crush Burmecia...and they had. Ruthlessly.

As Beatrix watched, one young woman picked up a child – her son, her younger brother, a stranger, Beatrix couldn't tell – and tucked his face into her shoulder so that he wouldn't see the soldiers tramping by. The next person that caught her eye was a disheveled older man dressed like a librarian. He cast a look of such venom at her that she was encouraged to grab her sword for support. She looked away before the impulse could get the better of her.

How dare you turn away from such suffering, her father's voice said to her from the back of her memory. I thought I raised you better than that. Beatrix couldn't keep from wincing. Bad enough her father had been so strict when she'd been a girl, now he was still just as strict when she was an adult!

You might be an adult, missy, the voice said acidly, but you're still an accomplice to this atrocity.

Beatrix tried to ignore his voice, but couldn't shake the fact that she knew he was right. When she'd been growing up, he'd once told her something she'd never forgotten. "Fighting a war isn't honorable," he'd said. "But you can be honorable when fighting a war." She hadn't understood then. She did now. And she'd betrayed him. In her mind's eye, she saw his scowling face.

Look around you, his voice said. There's no honor in this. It's butchery, Beatrix. Simple butchery.

Part of Beatrix wondered if this attack of conscience was coming from her frustration. When first told that Alexandria was going to war, Beatrix had been quietly optimistic. She knew that killing was wrong, and she knew that wars did nothing but tear lives apart, but still, she had looked forward to testing herself and her women against Burmecia's famous Dragon Knights. That had certainly come to nothing. The Dragon Knights had been crushed and broken along with the bulk of Burmecia's armed forces by the black mages. Beatrix had not even drawn her sword.

You're making excuses, she told herself. Yes, you feel frustrated, but you know damn well that what's happening here is wrong.

That's my girl, her father's voice said. Now, do something about it. But Beatrix was at a loss there. What could she do? She sighed.

Unfortunately, she was overheard. Brahne's head turned ponderously to face her. "Are you well, Beatrix?" she asked.

Beatrix snapped her mind to attention. "Of course, your majesty," she said firmly. "Just keeping myself sharp."

Brahne harrumphed. "I don't see how you can stand to breathe so deeply."

Beatrix frowned. "Majesty?"

"That odor of vermin," the queen said with a gesture. "It permeates the air here. It's sickening."

Beatrix felt hollow inside. "Yes, your majesty. Shall we keep moving?"

"Yes, let's do. The sooner we're away from these filthy rats, the sooner my head will clear." Brahne turned away again and Beatrix followed in her wake, outwardly every inch the loyal soldier, but inside, she felt like she was being torn apart. She kept an eye on the queen as they walked, her mind full of questions. Brahne had always been somewhat...abrasive. But recently, she had changed, become less blustering and more...Beatrix wanted to use the word 'animalistic'. And now, it seemed she could hardly speak without referring to the people of Burmecia as 'vermin' or 'filthy rats', and their city as a 'disgusting rat's nest.' It was unnerving.

"Well!" Brahne said eagerly. "Look what we have here!" Beatrix roused herself from her reverie and looked ahead. Her heart clenched. Standing at the next crossroads was one of Brahne's black mages. Silently, the golem was monitoring the streets, no doubt to ensure that none of the refugees tried to make a break for it. Brahne all but dashed over to the artificial soldier, while Beatrix's pace involuntarily slowed as she came nearer.

If Brahne's recent behavior was unnerving, Beatrix found the black mages to be outright threatening. Their black coats, steepled hats, and glowing yellow eyes were only part of what made them so sinister. It was their silence that got to her most. They never spoke. Ever. Beatrix didn't know if they could. She had tried talking to one, but the most reaction she'd ever garnered was a pointed finger. Their gazes were also unsettling, as though behind their eyes, their minds were continually assessing what the greatest threat to them was present and working out a way to destroy it.

"Ah," Brahne was saying. "Unceasing vigilance, boundless strength, and complete loyalty. They are the perfect soldiers, don't you agree?"

"Yes, your majesty," she replied. Inside, Beatrix screamed. She had joined the army at the earliest possible age out of loyalty to Alexandria, worked her way up through the ranks, and had even lost her eye in service to her nation. Was she not loyal? Were the women under her command, every bit as dedicated as she, not good enough? Had the queen really become that capricious?

Yes, her father's voice answered from her memory. She nearly shuddered, and suddenly, she wanted to be as far away from the queen as possible. Her mind raced. "If you'll excuse me, your majesty," she said. "I'd like to check on Squad Katrina. They've been given a large area to guard and I want to make certain they can do so without support."

Brahne waved diffidently. "Of course, of course," she said, her attention still fixed on the black mage. "Feel free. Just be sure you come and find me again. I want to move on the palace as soon as possible, and I need you to coordinate the army to do so."

Beatrix felt her heart leap. "Then you'll be using the regulars to mount the assault?"

Brahne scowled. "No, no, of course not," she said. "The black mages will be spearheading the attack. But I want the army to mop up the remainders. I won't let any of those vermin get away from me!"

Beatrix felt as though a weight had been placed upon her shoulders, but she stood firm and tapped her fist to her heart in salute. "Yes, your majesty," she said tonelessly. As she turned away, her eye caught that of her second-in-command. Beatrix motioned silently, and the other woman nodded. Mara was a good soldier. She would protect her nation and her queen with her life. Not that her queen cared. Beatrix hurried away before the sorrow could show on her face.

------------------------

She wandered for a time, soon finding herself in a deserted part of the city. She finally stopped outside what looked like a clothing shop. What do I do now, she wondered.

Try doing what you know is right, her father's voice challenged. Stand up for yourself.

The queen won't listen, she argued.

Her father's voice, the voice of her conscience, argued back. That isn't what's important, and you know it. Unless you do something, the people of this city are going to be massacred. And you're going to be responsible for it.

I haven't done anything wrong, she thought. All of this was perpetuated by Brahne and her black mages.

You're still an accessory to wholesale murder!

"No I'm not!" she hissed aloud striking out at the wall as she did so. Despite the gauntlet she wore, the impact still did a number on her knuckles. She yelped. "I'm not responsible for this," she muttered, as though trying to convince herself.

Maybe not directly, but you're letting it happen, and that makes you just as culpable.

"I...I have to follow the queen's command-"

And you say you're different from the black mages!

The realization hit Beatrix hard. Even as she instinctively tried to reason her way out of it, she stopped herself, knowing it was useless. She looked into the glass of the store, her imagination transforming her reflection into that of her father's. His stern face, gazed out at her from beneath close-cropped brown hair that had been starting to go gray when he had died. "What do I do?" he asked softly. "How can I prove that I'm not some mindless killer?"

A killer takes life away, her father's voice rang out. The logical thing to do would be to do the opposite.

For a long moment, Beatrix's face remained blank. Then, the corner of her mouth briefly turned up into a smile as an idea occurred to her. "Thank you, father," she whispered, and walked off down the street.

---------------------

Well behind the main line of the army, yet still within the city of Burmecia, she found the members of Squad Valerie. They had been assigned to support the front line, which meant that they were loaded down with packs of food, medicine, and other supplies that they were currently sending out as requested.

Beatrix didn't hesitate, marching straight up to the group of soldiers and calling out in her loudest parade-ground voice, "Attention!"

Each of the soldiers stopped what she was doing and snapped up straight, saluting. "Ma'am!" Sergeant Valerie cried out.

"At ease," Beatrix said. As the rest of the squad went back to work, Beatrix spoke to Valerie. "I need to requisition a travel pack. Squad Demeter has need of one."

"Aye, ma'am," Valerie said. She gestured to one of the soldiers. "What for?"

"You don't need to know that, Sergeant," Beatrix said coldly, knowing Valerie would get the implication that interrogations were beginning and the prisoners would need to be kept alive.

"Understood, General," the other woman said quickly. Beatrix felt quietly relieved. No one would miss a single pack now that Valerie would likely keep her mouth shut. Beatrix took the heavy package and slung it over one shoulder. The pack was a good one, carrying enough food to last several people a few days, and an equal quantity of various types of medicine. It also weighed a good forty pounds.

Beatrix saluted with her free hand. "Keep up the good work, ladies."

"Thank you, ma'am," Valerie replied. "Do you need an escort?"

Beatrix brushed off the question with a grin. "I think I can take care of myself, Val," she said, meriting a blush from the other woman. "But the offer is appreciated. And thanks for the quick action. You run a tight ship."

"Ma'am, thank you ma'am," Valerie said with an enthusiastic salute.

Beatrix turned and walked off into the darkened city, the raindrops still falling from the sky.

-------------------

It was another hour before she found what she was looking for. On one dead-end street, well away from the center of the action, a pair of silent black mages stood guard over a group of maybe thirteen or fourteen Burmecians. Beatrix noted several adults of either gender, a few children of various ages, and one older woman that captured her attention more than any other. Unlike most of the others, she stood instead of seating herself on the pavement. Her hair had once been a lustrous silver but was now fading towards a dull gray, which in no way detracted from her fierce appearance. Although she stood with one arm around a child's shoulders, her bright green eyes continuously flicked over towards their captors. She clearly hadn't resigned herself to defeat just yet.

The woman was the first to notice Beatrix coming. She prodded a nearby man to get his attention. In turn, he elbowed the younger man next to him, until all of them were aware of the approaching general. Beatrix refused to meet any of their gazes. She needed all of her composure for what was about to happen.

She heaved off the heavy pack, then flexed her arm a few times to make sure it was limber. "You and you," she said in a loud voice. The two black mages registered the sound and silently turned to look at her. "Come here." They did without a look back at their captives. Evidently they recognized her superior rank. Beatrix faced the two of them. "I am going to execute these prisoners," she said. She heard a few gasps. In the corner of her vision, she saw a few people shoot to their feet. She ignored them. "Your services are no longer required here," she said, speaking clearly and firmly. "You are hereby ordered to report to the front line for the next attack." She pointed down the street. "You are to join up with the other black mages you find down this road." The two golems nodded simultaneously and, without question, started to walk in the direction indicated.

Beatrix struck! Her hands shot up to grasp the hilt of her precious longsword, Save the Queen. With a strength born of years of training and combat, she pulled the sword from its sheath and spun, hacking off the head of the nearest black mage. The other one recognized the treachery and began to turn, already bringing its hand up for a spell. It was too slow. Beatrix continued her spin and drove Save the Queen straight through the golem's midsection. The black mage reached down to grasp the sword and pull it out, but Beatrix was faster, firing a kick into the false soldier's chest. The black mage fell backwards to the street, and Beatrix slammed her sword home a second time. This attack hit some vital component, and the black mage's yellow eyes slowly faded.

Beatrix resheathed Save the Queen and, still ignoring the stares of the refugees, knelt by the pack. Finally, she looked up, her gaze almost instantly locking to that of the fierce-eyed woman. She raised a hand and waved her over, opening the pack as she did so.

The Burmecian didn't hesitate, grabbing the shoulders of the two nearest men and pulling them along with her. "Can you carry all of this?" Beatrix asked as she approached.

The other woman knelt to get a better look and shook her head. "Not by myself."

"Give me some," said one of the men. "We can carry all of it if we split it up."

The second Burmecian man looked dubious. "How do we know you're not setting us up?"

Beatrix started to answer, but the other woman did it for her. "Don't waste time asking dumb questions," she snapped. "If she wanted us dead, she'd have told those creatures to kill us." The man nodded, then turned and said something in Burmecian to the others. They quickly began passing out the parcels of food and medicine while Beatrix spoke quickly to the other woman.

"Head southwest from here," she said, outlining the route with her hands. "The army hasn't had time to secure that area, so it's your best bet. You'll have to move quickly, though. I don't know how many black mages are left. Once you're out of the city, you should be alright. With all of this, you can probably make it to Cleyra, or maybe even Lindblum."

"Thank you," the woman said. Then, she looked down as the child she'd been standing with earlier tugged at her clothes. She bent and scooped the young boy up. "Don't worry, kiddo," she said. "We'll be safe soon." She looked back up at Beatrix. "Tell me something," she said, her expression guarded. "Why are you doing this?"

Beatrix reached out and gently patted the head of the child the woman held. The little boy looked back at her without fear, only curiosity. It's the black mages he's afraid of, she thought. "Because I have to," she finally said, her meaning obvious.

The group was starting to make its way down the street, sticking to the walls of the buildings and keeping as quiet as possible. One man, his jet-black hair thickly shot with gray, came back and touched the woman on the shoulder. "Let's go, Serena," he said softly.

"I'll be right behind you," she assured him before looking back at Beatrix. She looked the human woman in the eyes for a few moments, obviously trying to think of something to say, and finally settling on, "Thank you."

"Good luck," Beatrix said. Serena nodded and turned away, following the rest of the group up the street and around the corner. Beatrix watched her go, hoping that she and the others made it to safety. She wished that she could go with them, at least for a little while, but she needed to dispose of the two black mages and the now-empty pack. A smile tugged at her features. After days of turning away from the evil being done all around her, she had finally done a little good.

And in her mind's eye, General Beatrix Amethyst saw her father smile.

THE END
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Great ending, and nice tie in :D
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*poke poke poke* So this means no more. *hrms*

Uhm...*ponders* I don't know what to say. Good clean ending, lotsa fun characters, and not really too much blood. So it's all good. Great job Kid!*pounces and musses with hair, nyah* Definitly great.

*sets up camp anyway though...* Now comes the fun part though! waiting for the next one!*leaves room for others to wait too if they want shrug*
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Absolutely fantastic. Although, as you know, my storyline would've ended differently. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I'd wondered which one of the characters Frey would tie into. :lol:

Very nice touch, Beatrix was one of my favorite characters, and I was sorry we didn't get to play her more.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

LadyTevar wrote:I'd wondered which one of the characters Frey would tie into. :lol:

Very nice touch, Beatrix was one of my favorite characters, and I was sorry we didn't get to play her more.
You too, huh? I loved Beatrix. :D
JADAFETWA
Mopeyennuui
Padawan Learner

Post by Mopeyennuui »

Wow. Havn't checked the thread in a while.

Cool end.