Harry Potter and the Bottle of Spirits: The College Years

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Brat!~*~
I love it! I hope that you're going to be adding more soon. It's definitly fun. Keep at it! And let's see what happens to Frank!
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

I thought this had been forgotten about. Does this mean I have to write more.
OK, will do :)
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

YESSSSSSSS I want moreeeeeeeeeeeeeee*eyes glow a bright green*

You absolutely must post more! *pokes Hermione* More about her too. Her and Frank ought to get together on something, I don't know why but i absolutely think that that would be really amusing.

Besides, I'm catching up remember? It's going to take me a while to actually get to the last page of all these things.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

On this realisation, Frank blushed and kept quiet for most of the journey, despite Harry’s best efforts at drawing her out.

“Look, I’m sure it’s fine,” he had persisted. “They wouldn’t’ have accepted you by mistake. Maybe there’ll be lots of muggles – that means non-wizards – on our course. It’s not like a place like this to make a mistake. Where did you say you’d heard of the college, did you say?” Frank mumbled something inaudible. “What?” Harry asked.

“Google”, she finally managed. Harry returned with a blank look, but he continued to point out things about the college and the wizarding world that he had been surprised to encounter seven years ago. By the time they found the Department for the History of Magic, Frank had relaxed a bit and was actively asking questions.

“So, do you think we could go down to this Diagon Alley later, then?” she was asking “I mean, you’ve probably got loads of friends of your own, but I don’t know anyone, and…”

They entered the History of Magic junior common room at this moment, and were confronted by a room full of people standing awkwardly in groups of two or three, looking relieved to have found the place, but lost as to what they were expected to do now.

As Harry and rank entered the room, quite a few people turned to look at them. Most of them then took a double take and nudged the people they were standing with. Harry blushed and pushed through to a table where glasses of pumpkin juice were laid out. He had conveniently left out his personal history when talking to Frank. It was only when she leaned towards him that he noticed she was as red as he was.

“Oh Goddess, they can tell, can’t they?” she whispered desperately. “You guys can sense an aura or something, right?”

Harry coughed “no, it’s not you they’re staring at. I’ll tell you later.” Actually, it wasn’t as bad as it used to be. Certainly nothing comparing to his first day at Hogwarts. He was at least expecting this, as the Daily Prophet had been quick to announce his university plans, alongside a lengthy column detailing theories as to why he wasn’t perusing the Auror career everyone had assumed he’d go into. These students were now politely ignoring him, and what stares there were, seemingly questioned his identity, more than anything else.

“Has it got something to do with that scar?” Frank asked, sipping nervously at the pumpkin juice before deciding she did, in fact, like it. Harry sighed and nodded, before realising she was looking at his cheek, not his forehead.

“Yeah, I got into some trouble last term, but I’ll tell you later…” Harry tried to change the subject. “For someone with bright green hair, you certainly seem shy about attention.”

“It’s different. People treat me like a freak for my hair or my religion or my sexuality, but they’re things I can control, at least a little” she explained, digging her hands into her pockets. “I feel like I don’t belong here, because I’m not really a witch…”

“It’ll be fine,” Harry assured her, wondering about what she meant, but deciding not to broach the subject.

They were spared more awkwardness by the arrival of a tall, black haired witch in magenta robes, who whipped out her wand and fired a shower of pink sparks in the air to get the attention of the students.

“Hi Everyone!” she announced “and welcome to The History of Magic department! My name is Madame Fucosa - but you can call me Magda - and I’ll be in charge of you this week. I’m sure you remember me from your interviews. There’s personal timetables for Freshers’ Week on the table over there if you haven’t picked one up, please do so! You’ll be spending most of the week in your degree groups, but there’s some things that you have to do, such as registering with the college, and I’m sure you want to go to Freshers’ Fayre”

She went on like this for a while; detailing all the activities they had planned for them this week. It sounded like an exceptionally dull way to start what were supposed to be the best years of his life, Harry thought. He could deal with dull, though. Dull was fine.

The entire first year had an introductory lecture after this little talk, and they were filing out when Madame Fucosa called out “Frances Wagstaff! Could I have a word?”

Frank caught Harry’s eye nervously and he hovered around near her, reluctant to go to the lecture without her. Madame Fucosa noticed this.
“Oh, I see you two have met. That’s OK, Harry, if Frances doesn’t mind, I’m sure you can stay.”

Frank nodded, and mumbled “It’s Frank, Madame Fucosa.”

“OK, Frank, and it’s Madga, dear” She smiled. “Take a seat, dear. Harry, could you shut the door please? You don’t mind Harry staying, do you, Frank?”

Frank shook her head nervously, while Harry shut the JCR door and sat down a little distance from her. “Is this about me not being a witch?” she asked,staring at the floor and fingering her pentacle again.

“I knew it wouldn’t take you long to notice that,” Madame Fucosa said kindly “I imagine you feel a bit betrayed, really?”

Frank shuffled in her seat and looked up at the older woman “Betrayed?”
“You see, Frank, we had to pull a few strings to get you here. You’ll cover the history later in your course, particularly the work of your new friend here –“ Frank stared at Harry wide eyed and he felt himself flushing hot. “- but it’s been brought to the attention of the Ministry of Magic and the rulers of the muggle world that our two societies have been isolated too long. A new initiative has been suggested to try and integrate magical and non magical peoples together for the benefit of both, starting with the education of select muggles in the history of our world.” Madame Fucosa paused for breath. “You, Frank, have been selected to test this new idea.”

“Why me?” Frank asked, shuffling awkwardly in her seat. “Why have I been selected?”

“Well, we wanted a muggle who was already interested in the magical arts, despite having no natural affinity for them,” Madame Fucosa explained. “You wanted to learn about the history of magic, and we knew you’d be mature and intelligent enough to cope with the culture shock.”

“I’m not that intelligent…” Frank started, but Madam Fucosa shook her head.

“Don’t put yourself down, dear. Now, you are enrolled on a History of Magic course, which you applied for, but I feel I should tell you that we’re not quite ready to start broadcasting the presence of a magical college in the University of London quite yet. Can you keep a secret?”

Frank nodded again, sitting on her hands and glancing at Harry anxiously. Harry was beginning to wish he had left the room.

“OK, you two, I guess you’ve missed the introductory lecture. There’s a talk for new HPM students this afternoon at one. Think you can amuse yourselves ‘til then?” Madame Fucosa asked, standing up very matter-of-factly.

“Yeah..” Harry mumbled.

“Thanks Harry. Perhaps you could take Frank down to Diagon Alley later, and get her some things to help her fit in a bit better? She can’t have a wand, of course, but there’s plenty of charms she may want to help her”. Harry nodded, but Frank was beginning to smile again.

“Lucky you two met, really,” she continued. “Who better to help Frank fit in than Harry Potter, after all? She grinned broadly and pulled out an envelope from her briefcase. “Oh, and Frank? These are your real A Level results.”

She handed the girl the envelope and swept out of the room. Frank looked confused, then tore it open, giving a squeal of delight at its contents. She waved it wildly at Harry, who glanced at it but didn’t understand what was on it. Frank seemed excited about it though, so he handed it back.

“Wanna find somewhere to eat?” he asked.

Frank nodded "Sure."
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*hugs Brat* Ooh! I can't wait to find out what happens in Diagon Alley! Keep it Up Brat! You're doing a great job, and definitely keeping me amused.*huggle*
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Nicely done, and I do like Frank :D
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

very nice.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

It's good and it makes sense.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

I enjoyed that.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I thought this was abondoned. Yayers, more reading!!! Frank is awsome. :D
pellaeons_scion
Jedi Knight

Post by pellaeons_scion »

I like!! :D Its interesting to see the crossover of worlds coming about here, and Frank should certainly put an interesting spin on things. More!
If apathy could be converted to energy, Australia would have an Unlimited power source.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

What with introductory talks, sorting out timetables, and drinks with the Professors, there turned out to be not much time for Diagon Alley that afternoon, so Harry suggested that Frank come with him to the bar in the basement of Flamel Hall, where he hoped his friends might be. Frank agreed, but decided to head back to her own Halls of Residence (a University of London hall) before meeting Harry later.

Ron and Hermione were indeed in the student bar, when Harry returned. They were sitting on a sofa in front of a coffee table, along with Ben, and someone Harry had not expected to see.

“Neville!” he greeted his old friend with surprise. Neville had lost his puppy fat now, and was a well built, muscular young man. A walking stick leaning against his chair suggested he was still having trouble walking, but he definitely was smiling a lot more than he used to.

“Hi Harry,” Neville grinned. “Surprised to see me?”

“You could say that,” said Harry. “I didn’t know you were coming to CAT.”

“Neither did I, but over the summer I talked to some of the healers at St. Mungo’s, and I think I’d rather take a degree instead of going straight into nursing. I’m taking Applied Herbology, and I’ve got a part time job at the Hospital.”

“You must be spending a lot of time there,” said Hermione, gently, and Harry noticed she squeezed Ron’s hand as he replied.

Neville nodded, “but Hannah’s going to be out in a few weeks. She’s moving back in with her parents, but we’ll see each other when we can.” Neville turned red, then changed the subject. “So did you guys have a nice summer? Was the World Cup good?”

All three nodded enthusiastically. “Bloody brilliant!” exclaimed Ron. “Wood managed to get tickets for all the Scotland games for anyone who’d played on the Gryffindor team, and Krum got the three of us into Bulgaria’s games.” Both Ron and Hermione turned slightly red at the mention of Hermione’s former suitor, but they didn’t stop smiling, nor did they let go of each other’s hand.

“You know Victor Krum?” asked Ben, who hadn’t noticed this. Fortunately for anyone wishing to avoid explaining the situation with Krum, Frank entered at this point.

She seemed a lot more comfortable now, having removed her pentacle and changed bags, shook everyone’s hands warmly as Harry introduced them. Remembering that she wouldn’t have any wizarding money yet, Harry bought her a pint of mulled mead, which she accepted warmly, sitting down next to Hermione and rapidly settling into easy conversation with the group.

“I’m still a little culture-shocked, but I reckon I can take it,” Frank explained. “Harry and are going down to Diagon Alley tomorrow to get me some robes and books. Apparently I’m getting a government grant to set me up with necessities for adapting to the wizarding world, whatever they are.” She shrugged casually.

“A decent broomstick,” said Ron straight away. “Can’t do much good without a decent broomstick. Get a Firebolt – no those are old now. Get a Nemesis!”

“Ron…” Hermione started, but Harry cut in.

“Do you think those are any good? I’ve heard they’ve done something funny with the turning charms.”

“Well, they’ve done away with Fleming’s Spin, and applied Tilak’s Twist. They’ve been using it on magic carpets for centuries.”

“I’m not sure,” intercepted Harry. “Broomsticks are completely different to carpets. If Tilak’s twist was anything special, they’d have been using it for years. Fleming’s Spin is consistently reliable. No, I’d still go for a Firebolt, or at leats wait until the Firebolt X comes out.”

“Harry…”Hermione said.

“You’re just biased,” Ron accused him. “Neville, what do you think?”

“I think that if you want tomorrow, you’re not going to be able to get a Firebolt X. That’s not going to be available until after this year’s season is over.”

“Neville…” Hermione tried a third time to get the boys’ attention.

“I agree that it’s a gamble trying out Tilak’s Twist,” Ben cut in, “but they’ve countered it with some pretty good balancing charms. Have you read the latest Broomstick Monthly?”

“Of course I have,” Harry objected. “I read all about how they’ve tried to counter the adverse balancing of Tilak’s Twist by applying extra balancers, but all that counteractivity is just going to contradict itself. You load up a broomstick with that many charms and countercharms, and you’re going to interfere with the basic Peregrine Hover.”

“Nonsense!” declared Ron and Ben together.

“There’s not a lot that can interfere with Peregrine Hover,” Ron went on. “You’d have to be going pretty fast before…”

“BOYS!” Hermione yelled, silencing the etire bar, and stopping the broomstick conversation dead in it’s tracks. “Frank’s not getting a broomstick. She couldn’t fly it.” Frank smirked sheepishly.

“Oh, you can get auto-piloted brooms for squibs, nowadays,” Ron shrugged.

“Not a Nemesis, though,” said Harry, as Hermione rolled her eyes at Frank. “Not a Firebolt, either, unless you bought one of those Squib Grips.”

“Let me, guess, they’d interfere with the Peregrine Hover?” asked Ben innocently, causing Ron to choke on his mead.

“Don’t be silly,” retorted Harry hotly. “It’s just not very good handling. The ready made ones, like Halle-Bopp, they give more control to the squib.”

“You’ve never been a squib,” Ron pointed out.

“No, but I know broomsticks,” Harry shot back, “and I know how to control one. There’s more to it than your hands, as you should know. You were Keeper for three years!”

“Really?” Ben asked Ron. “I was Quidditch captain at Beauxbatons. Played chaser. We won the House Cup five years in a row,” he added proudly.

Ron squirmed “yeah, we only won it twice, but we tended to have exceptional circumstances…”

Farnk cut in now. “This is that sport you were telling me about, Harry?” Harry nodded enthusiastically, and the three boys started explaining quidditch to the interested muggle. The conversation until closing time, at which time Ron and Hermione had agreed to meet Frank and Harry the next day at lunch, to, as Hermione put it: “make sure Harry doesn’t waste all your grant on broomsticks.”

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

That was great.

I do like your introing of Neville as well as that you added his bit with leg. I love how you hint of what may happen but no specfics.

Another thing is that three way talk sounds great. I can so easily see three guys over cars talk like this in front of people who have no idea.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

That was good (I just read the last two chapters). The guys talking about brooms, Frank confusing Harry about teh mighty Google and whatnot. "CAT" gave me a double-take, since that was the name of my high school's magnet program ;)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

nice. Keep it up. Hopefully some more plot will come apparent?
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I loved the broomstick dialogue. :D
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*applauds and wishes could tag along to shop too* I love all the talk about the brooms, and ROn doesn't seem to have changed at all from the books....*grin*
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

I'm so glad you didn't let this story go. I love it.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
pellaeons_scion
Jedi Knight

Post by pellaeons_scion »

Fantastic, the interplay between the characters is great. Its also good to see Neville come into it. I love stories that look at the ordinary dealings between people, even if they are wizards or the like :D
If apathy could be converted to energy, Australia would have an Unlimited power source.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

must. .. have. . .more. . .
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

*mother of all bumps*

A little healty pressue never hurt to make you write some more IB. I kinda lost track of this one while I was travelling, loved the extra additions!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Damn you, Crown! I thought there was another chapter! *bonks Crown on the back of the head* :P
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

*Staggers out of Zaia's living room*

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have put on that Carlos Santana record when she was grieving about her favourite radio station being closed down ....

:P
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Thank you, Crown, for bumping this! I'd never seen it before!

Great job so far, IB (et al)! Please, continue.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet