Opera (music, not browser)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Opera, yes or no?

Why yes, yes I do like it.
68%
Boooring.
14%
Look at my indifference. Eh, eh, indifference.
11%
Please, poke yourself in the eye with a spoon(It's dull you TWIT, it'll hurt more!)
8%

Total votes: 37

bohemianfey
Jedi Master
Location: Love wench in SDnet's polygonal - sex based reltionship

Opera (music, not browser)

Post by bohemianfey »

Do you like opera? I'm curious so humor me. If you do, which is your favourite show/composer/singer.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
"I give into sin because I like to practice what I preach."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I like some of it, I watch a bit on my local foreign language channel.

It's rarely in English though, as one would guess.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Eh, find it boring. Damn N. Italian fops.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Some are good. If it's good, I'll like it. Who can say no to the Opera from FF6?
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:Some are good. If it's good, I'll like it. Who can say no to the Opera from FF6?
There was a lot of really good classical music in FF6. Like Brahms. Gottta love Brahms.

And to answer my own yuestion:
Operas (in no particular order): Madame Butterfly, La Boheme, Tosca and Carmen.
Composer: Puccini.
Singers (in no particular order): Don Giovanni, Maria Callas, Placido Domingo, Pavaratti and Lois White.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

bohemianfey wrote:
SyntaxVorlon wrote:Some are good. If it's good, I'll like it. Who can say no to the Opera from FF6?
There was a lot of really good classical music in FF6. Like Brahms. Gottta love Brahms.

Singers (in no particular order): Don Giovanni, Maria Callas, Placido Domingo, Pavaratti and Lois White.
FF6 had Brahms?

Where...I can't remember off the top of my head.

And for me...for Opera...all I've heard is Wagner. So I can't say much beyond that.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

Ghost Rider wrote:
bohemianfey wrote:

FF6 had Brahms?

Where...I can't remember off the top of my head.

And for me...for Opera...all I've heard is Wagner. So I can't say much beyond that.
The Phantom Train if memory serves.
Wagner isn't one of my favourites, but tolerable none the less. You should check out some Puccini if you want to here some incredible opera. The man was a genius.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*nods* Opera is good to listen to, but I can't tell ya anything about it since i rarely hear it. *hrrms* My lil brother used to be keen when it came to opera though, he sung along, and sounded good even without knowing the words
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

I do listen to opera. But in order to like it, you have to have an open mind first; you have to be willing to listen to music in a foreign language (generally), you have to like classical music, and you usually have to be willing to use your brain juuust a little.

I say that because operas in general are tradegies and require a little more thought about why this or that is significant, ie. why does Alfredo chose to sing about drinking to the moment and to the pleasures of life to Violetta in the opera La Traviata? Answer: because that was his way of initiating dialouge with the demimonde Violetta, who was soon to die from tb.

There are good operas and bad operas, depending on your style and how you are as a person. A few good ones are Rigoletto with its surprise ending and Madame Butterfly and how it so personally can touch you.

I personally do not like Wagner because he tends to lack finesse; he's more of the loud booming music. However, Puccini and Verdi were true geniuses and if you like plays about whores, sex, and killing with a classical music twist, you'll love most of Mozart's works (The Marriage of Figgaro is particullarly good and so is Don Giovani). I saw a modern version of Marriage of Figgaro, set in the 1980s in the Trump Tower, I believe. At first, I thought, "Oh god..." but it turned out to be extremely captivating and even though I knew how it was going to end, it had me at my seat.

In conclusion, opera can be great if you're willing to try it. Besides, its great to get that sense of "aaahhh...." when ever they use an opera piece for commercials.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

It's like everything else out there: some is good, some is crap.
JADAFETWA
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I enjoy opera *music*, but aren't much for the stories themselves. Much like I enjoy the technical art of ballet, but find the storytelling aspects exceedingly tiresome (ironically, it is the reverse for modern dance, which is pretentious to the point of revulsion, and often even tries to be 'for the sake of art').
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Does "A Night At The Opera" by Queen count?

Ok, seriously, I like the music, but I don't have the attention span to sit through an entire operal. It's cool when they a movement or 2 but that's about as much as I can handle in one listening.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

aerius wrote:Does "A Night At The Opera" by Queen count?
No, but lord almightY does that song KICK ASS.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

bohemianfey wrote:
I'm not sure which tracks are supposedly Brahms, but the only composer I've ever come across for the entire soundtrack to FFVI is Nobuo Uematsu, and I would think if they used Brahms they'd have to credit. The opera sequence comes in four tracks, 'Overture,' 'Aria de Mezzo Carattere,' 'The Wedding Waltz,' and 'Grand Finale?', so are you sure you weren't thinking of one of those instead of the Phantom/Mystery Train track? (Incidentally I haven't played FFVI yet so I don't know the piece in question and can't comment, but I did find one review that said that the opera sounded like it was written by Wagner because it matched his style almost exactly.)

Anyway, as for me, I sung a concert of entirely Verdi and fell in love with a whole bunch of his music, especially 'La Traviata.' SO much fun to sing! :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I love Opera, but finding good stuff is hard.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Zaia wrote:
bohemianfey wrote:
I'm not sure which tracks are supposedly Brahms, but the only composer I've ever come across for the entire soundtrack to FFVI is Nobuo Uematsu, and I would think if they used Brahms they'd have to credit. The opera sequence comes in four tracks, 'Overture,' 'Aria de Mezzo Carattere,' 'The Wedding Waltz,' and 'Grand Finale?', so are you sure you weren't thinking of one of those instead of the Phantom/Mystery Train track? (Incidentally I haven't played FFVI yet so I don't know the piece in question and can't comment, but I did find one review that said that the opera sounded like it was written by Wagner because it matched his style almost exactly.)
There's an orchestrated version of the entire FF6 opera that has real opera singers and everything (:P to all of you garbled SNES voice lovers). It's 23 minutes long and I love every minute of it. IM me and I can send it so you can listen to it.
Last edited by Mayabird on 2004-11-10 02:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Mayabird wrote:There's an orchestrated version of the entire FF6 opera that has real opera singers and everything (:P to all of you garbled SNES voice lovers). It's 26 minutes long and I love every minute of it. IM me and I can send it so you can listen to it.
Sweet!! :D

I don't suppose it gives credit to the composer, does it? If so, who does it credit?
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Zaia wrote:
Mayabird wrote:There's an orchestrated version of the entire FF6 opera that has real opera singers and everything (:P to all of you garbled SNES voice lovers). It's 26 minutes long and I love every minute of it. IM me and I can send it so you can listen to it.
Sweet!! :D

I don't suppose it gives credit to the composer, does it? If so, who does it credit?
Everything I've ever seen credits Nobuo Uematsu as the composer.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Right now, given the wide variety of things I have to listen to, I don't often have time to specificaly listen to opera. However, just as I would with any performance, if I have the opportunity to go, I take it. Last year, our company did a rather outstanding take of Mozart's Don Giovanni, which I enjoyed greatly. (I suppose it also helps that I knew a number of people both in the pit and on stage!)
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Mayabird wrote:
Everything I've ever seen credits Nobuo Uematsu as the composer.
Its him

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/01 ... 11914.html
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

Look at me! I'm being indifferent!
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

operatic music I like - dimmu borgir and cradle of filth, for example.

actual opera music, I havent heard much of.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Mayabird wrote:There's an orchestrated version of the entire FF6 opera that has real opera singers and everything (:P to all of you garbled SNES voice lovers). It's 23 minutes long and I love every minute of it. IM me and I can send it so you can listen to it.
And there was much rejoycing from Ace Pace! :P :P
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

I do enjoy opera, most especially Mozart. Don Giovanni, the Magic Flute, and the Marriage of Fiagaro are my favorites by him. Operattos like "The Very Model of an Modern Major General" are also good; the other piece which is really an opera with pieces is Strauss's Don Quixote.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Enforcer Talen wrote:operatic music I like - dimmu borgir and cradle of filth, for example.

actual opera music, I havent heard much of.
Cradle and Dimmu are operatic?
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein