Opera (music, not browser)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Opera, yes or no?

Why yes, yes I do like it.
68%
Boooring.
14%
Look at my indifference. Eh, eh, indifference.
11%
Please, poke yourself in the eye with a spoon(It's dull you TWIT, it'll hurt more!)
8%

Total votes: 37

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

My favorite choral work ever is the scene from Don Giovanni where Don Giovanni confronts the ghost who comes for dinner. Also another favorite movement is from Wagner's Tannhäuser, the Entrance of the Guests.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Three Penny Opera

The Coffee Cantata

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
bohemianfey
Jedi Master
Location: Love wench in SDnet's polygonal - sex based reltionship

Post by bohemianfey »

Saurencaerthai wrote:Right now, given the wide variety of things I have to listen to, I don't often have time to specificaly listen to opera. However, just as I would with any performance, if I have the opportunity to go, I take it. Last year, our company did a rather outstanding take of Mozart's Don Giovanni, which I enjoyed greatly. (I suppose it also helps that I knew a number of people both in the pit and on stage!)
I love Don Giovanni in more than one way. There's a Seattle opera singer who's named himself Don Giovanni and he's incredible.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
"I give into sin because I like to practice what I preach."
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

bohemianfey wrote:I love Don Giovanni in more than one way. There's a Seattle opera singer who's named himself Don Giovanni and he's incredible.
I was going to ask you about that :wink: I'd never heard of a singer named Don Giovanni.

I love opera. My wife wife and I have seasons tickets at the National Arts Centre here in Ottawa. As far as my favorites go, I'd have to say that of the opera's I've heard, it would have to be either the Magic Flute or Don Giovanni. Of the opera's that I've seen, it would have to be Rigoletto - we saw it last year in Ottawa. The story was great and the performance was incredible.
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

It's never interested me. In the least.
bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

wood wrote:
bohemianfey wrote:I love Don Giovanni in more than one way. There's a Seattle opera singer who's named himself Don Giovanni and he's incredible.
I was going to ask you about that :wink: I'd never heard of a singer named Don Giovanni.

I love opera. My wife wife and I have seasons tickets at the National Arts Centre here in Ottawa. As far as my favorites go, I'd have to say that of the opera's I've heard, it would have to be either the Magic Flute or Don Giovanni. Of the opera's that I've seen, it would have to be Rigoletto - we saw it last year in Ottawa. The story was great and the performance was incredible.
Hehe I can see how that would be confusing. The Magic Flute is another of my favourites. Maria Callas' version of The Queen of the Night is awesome, her control of the upper range blows my mind.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Also, I like the instrumental Triumphal March from Verdi's Aida. It sounds more like Wagner than Rossini, to me at least.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

*pokes Fey* Answer my question please?
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

bohemianfey wrote:Hehe I can see how that would be confusing. The Magic Flute is another of my favourites. Maria Callas' version of The Queen of the Night is awesome, her control of the upper range blows my mind.
The fact that anyone can sing the Queen of the Night's "Der Holle Rache" without exploding blows my mind.

I don't think I've heard Maria Callas' version... I'll have to look that up. I think the full version that I own has Cheryl Studer singing the Queen of the night (Philip's label). She also does a good job, but not the best I've heard - that would be from a highlights CD that I have somewhere... I'd have to do some digging to find it.
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
PrinceofLowLight
Jedi Knight

Post by PrinceofLowLight »

I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to watch a full opera in another language, but a lot of the tracks are individually very nice to listen to.

Light Opera's another story. Gilbert & Sullivan rock.
"Remember, being materialistic means never having to acknowledge your feelings"-Brent Sienna, PVP

"In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my own devising, and a serious attitude problem."- Rick Moen

SD.net Rangers: Chicks Dig It
bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

wood wrote:
bohemianfey wrote:Hehe I can see how that would be confusing. The Magic Flute is another of my favourites. Maria Callas' version of The Queen of the Night is awesome, her control of the upper range blows my mind.
The fact that anyone can sing the Queen of the Night's "Der Holle Rache" without exploding blows my mind.

I don't think I've heard Maria Callas' version... I'll have to look that up. I think the full version that I own has Cheryl Studer singing the Queen of the night (Philip's label). She also does a good job, but not the best I've heard - that would be from a highlights CD that I have somewhere... I'd have to do some digging to find it.
Cheryl Studer is good, but she's not one of my favourites. She seems to have an elevated opinion of herself. Not that that attitude is rare among the primadonnas.
Middleclass
Youngling

Post by Middleclass »

I just got finished seeing "Salome" this evening. Damn fine production. Nothing in the world beats seeing a woman sing an aria to the severed head of John the Baptist.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Moving to AMP!
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman