Jimmy Carter Praises Arafat

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Jimmy Carter Praises Arafat

Post by fgalkin »

MIAMI (AFP) - Former US President Jimmy Carter called Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) "a powerful human symbol and forceful advocate" who united Palestinians in their pursuit of a homeland.

"Yasser Arafat's death marks the end of an era and will no doubt be painfully felt by Palestinians throughout the Middle East and elsewhere in the world," Carter said.

"He was the father of the modern Palestinian nationalist movement. A powerful human symbol and forceful advocate, Palestinians united behind him in their pursuit of a homeland," he said in a statement distributed by his Atlanta, Georgia-based Carter Center.

He said that while Arafat provided "indispensable leadership to a revolutionary movement" and played a key role in forging a peace agreement with Israel in 1993, he was excluded from negotiations in recent years.

"My hope is that an emerging Palestinian leadership can benefit from Arafat's experiences, be welcomed to the peace process by (Israeli) Prime Minister (Ariel) Sharon and (US) President (George W.) Bush, and be successful in helping to forge a Palestinian state living in harmony with their Israeli neighbors," Carter said.

Both Carter and Arafat are Nobel peace prize laureates.

Arafat, who died at a Paris hospital early Thursday, was to be buried at his West Bank headquarters after a military funeral ceremony in Cairo Friday.

Carter "will not be attending the funeral," said Jon Moor, a Carter Center spokesman.
Do you Yahooo?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Why would he say such nice things about a terorrist? :? :roll:

Shouldn't somebody tell the 40 odd world leaders over in Cairo that they're paying respects to a terrorist? :? :roll:

You know, if Arafat was a terrorist, what does that make President Truman? Didn't he nuke innocent civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The truth is, Arafat did not devote his life to killing and preventing peace. He devoted his life to freeing his people from oppression and getting them what they had and then what was later promised: a country of their own. So fuck all you ignorant shits who think this guy was only about terrorism.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Silly Bored Shirtless, the world is Black and White.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

BoredShirtless wrote:Why would he say such nice things about a terorrist? :? :roll:

Shouldn't somebody tell the 40 odd world leaders over in Cairo that they're paying respects to a terrorist? :? :roll:

You know, if Arafat was a terrorist, what does that make President Truman? Didn't he nuke innocent civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The truth is, Arafat did not devote his life to killing and preventing peace. He devoted his life to freeing his people from oppression and getting them what they had and then what was later promised: a country of their own. So fuck all you ignorant shits who think this guy was only about terrorism.
so instead of adressing the page of evidence presented to you by a half doezen people clearly identifying Arafat as a terrorist, you chose to spew pointless verbal shit in a different thread. :roll:
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

BoredShirtless wrote:Why would he say such nice things about a terorrist? :? :roll:
Clearly he's a half-wit. This is the same guy that couldn't get the hostages out of Iran don't forget.
Their fully aware of the scumbags status. Their jjust there because, 1) it's expected of them and 2) it looks good on them.
Considering that it was wartime and invading Japan would have cost an estimated 1 million US casualties, he made the correct decision. Remember nobody ever accomplished anything by dying for his country, you make the other bastard die for his.
Are you bucking for your custom title back? In the Arafat is dead thread numerous people have presented all kinds of proof that he was exactly that: a terrorist. His motivations for it are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. He plotted to and did kill innocents. Yet you refuse to accept it.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Col. Crackpot wrote:

so instead of adressing the page of evidence presented to you by a half doezen people clearly identifying Arafat as a terrorist, you chose to spew pointless verbal shit in a different thread. :roll:
It was only pointless to you and the other numbskulls who see things in only black and white. Once again, Arafat was more then just a terrorist, and everyone with a brain can see that. But go ahead and wank off to your "evidence" like it's an actual fucking argument. :roll:

By the way, is President Truman a terrorist for nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Their fully aware of the scumbags status. Their jjust there because, 1) it's expected of them and 2) it looks good on them.
Why is it expected of them to turn up to the funneral of a terrorist? Will they also be expected to turn up to OBL's? :lol:

And it looks good to rock up to terrorists funnerals? Do you even read what you type?
Considering that it was wartime and invading Japan would have cost an estimated 1 million US casualties, he made the correct decision. Remember nobody ever accomplished anything by dying for his country, you make the other bastard die for his.
Whether it was a correct decision or not isn't the point. I repeat my question, is President Truman a terrorist for nuking innocent civilians?
Are you bucking for your custom title back? In the Arafat is dead thread numerous people have presented all kinds of proof that he was exactly that: a terrorist. His motivations for it are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. He plotted to and did kill innocents. Yet you refuse to accept it.
Calling him a terrorist is biased and dishonest, that's my entire fucking point. I never denied he had a hand in terrorist acts.....just like Truman by the way.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Truman is a terrorist? How do you define terrorist and terrorism, BS?
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

just like Truman by the way
Because bombing nations who attack you is evil folks! Always remember that! :roll:
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

No, because Truman was the president of a nation defending itself from a war which began with an undeclared attack. Furthermore, the A-bombs actually saved the lives of millions of Japanse and Allied soldiers and the millions of civilians and children that the IJA was training for use as cannon fodder. Do we need to rehash this fucking debate AGAIN?
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Col. Crackpot wrote:No, because Truman was the president of a nation defending itself from a war which began with an undeclared attack. Furthermore, the A-bombs actually saved the lives of millions of Japanse and Allied soldiers and the millions of civilians and children that the IJA was training for use as cannon fodder.
Does that mean nuking two cities wasn't an act of terror designed to force the Japanese to surrender? :|

Of course, I wouldn't go as far as BS and say that the sitting POTUS was a terrorist because of it... terrorism has its own implications.
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Stofsk wrote:Truman is a terrorist?
I don't know...you better go ask the morons over here calling Arafat a terrorist. Check with them to see if they define former US Presidents the way they define Arafat.
How do you define terrorist and terrorism, BS?
"Terrorism" you can go check in a dictionary. A "terrorist" for me is a person who is defined by killing innocents. Although he may have been responsible for terrorist acts, he did and represented so much more.
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Stofsk wrote:Truman is a terrorist? How do you define terrorist and terrorism, BS?
The question was not directed to me but I hope I'm allowed to answer how I define terrorist.

A terrorist is a person who use terror to freighten people into doing what the terrorist wants them to do.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Just a small note BS. It would help if you changed about Truman unless you prove that under the thought of Total War, that Truman acted illogically.

In that mindset...it was well within his thoughts and proverbial rights to scour all of Japan and make it a pothole and most of the world wouldn't have looked twice. He was not engaged in anything but total war against the Axis powers.

So seriously pick another president unless you want to point out to me that Arafat is engaging in total war against the Israel.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

frigidmagi wrote:
just like Truman by the way
Because bombing nations who attack you is evil folks! Always remember that! :roll:
Strawman fallacy, try again.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Gustav32Vasa wrote:A terrorist is a person who use terror to freighten people into doing what the terrorist wants them to do.
That's a little too simplistic and broad, as it can also apply to run-of-the-mill criminals. Do you see a difference between a terrorist and a drug dealer? or a gangster?
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Clearly he's a half-wit. This is the same guy that couldn't get the hostages out of Iran don't forget.
Hey, Carter is a man of impeccable personal integrity. I think what you mean is that he refused to negotiate with terrorists and capitulate to their demands, unlike the oft-praised Ronnie Reagan.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

That traitor! That un-American trecherous son-of-a -- ... what's that? He was the President of the USA and probably recieved very detailed diplomatic files on all the major players in the middle east and would probably know what the hell he was on about?

Well, um, you know ... clearly he is anti-semetic and should be stoned to death!!!!

:roll:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Ghost Rider wrote:Just a small note BS. It would help if you changed about Truman unless you prove that under the thought of Total War, that Truman acted illogically.
Was I asking whether he was being illogical [which implies terrorism is illogical, I won't touch that because that isn't fact but your opinion], or was I asking is he a terrorist for nuking innocent civilians?
In that mindset...it was well within his thoughts and proverbial rights to scour all of Japan and make it a pothole and most of the world wouldn't have looked twice. He was not engaged in anything but total war against the Axis powers.

So seriously pick another president unless you want to point out to me that Arafat is engaging in total war against the Israel.
Uhhh.....there is so much wrong with your post, I won't even bother dissecting it, but instead slap a big fat "90% pure strawman" sticker on it.
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Stofsk wrote:
Gustav32Vasa wrote:A terrorist is a person who use terror to freighten people into doing what the terrorist wants them to do.
That's a little too simplistic and broad, as it can also apply to run-of-the-mill criminals. Do you see a difference between a terrorist and a drug dealer? or a gangster?
I'm not sure.

While an drug dealer direct actions don’t harm anyone the drugs do, but the dealer don’t force people to take drugs

Besides terrorists believe that what they do is right so they die rather then change.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

It's nice BS screams Strawman, when I asked was Arafat engaging in total war against the powers of Israel. You do understand circumstances or do you want to equate that all things are equal?

You care to show instead of going "There is just so much wrong that I care not to show because everyone here will just agree with my superior logic!!"
Last edited by Ghost Rider on 2004-11-12 07:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Stofsk wrote:Of course, I wouldn't go as far as BS and say that the sitting POTUS was a terrorist because of it...
I didn't go that far, learn to read.
BoredShirtless
BANNED

Post by BoredShirtless »

Ghost Rider wrote:It's nice BS screams Strawman, when I asked was Arafat engaging in total war against the powers of Israel.
Because it's irrelevent. But since you're getting whiny about it; no, Arafat wasn't engaging in "total war". And even if Israel and the Palestines were going hammer and tong, purposely killing innocents is STILL fucking terrorism.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Just so BS doesn't think I'm going off kilter...my point is that terroism is anunlawful action.

It's up to you to show that Truman had in using the A-Bomb on Japan was an unlawful action in the whole of what is considered total war.

And note...he doesn't show why using the A-bomb in total war is an unlawful action :roll: .

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

BoredShirtless wrote:
Why is it expected of them to turn up to the funneral of a terrorist? Will they also be expected to turn up to OBL's? :lol:
It is expected because besides his role of terroirst he was unfortunatly the leader of the Palestinian people.
And it looks good to rock up to terrorists funnerals? Do you even read what you type?
Of course I do, dumbass. It looks good to show up to his funeral because 1) he was also their President 2)the Palestinains are the downtrodden, and it's always cool to campaign for them. Look at Bono.
Whether it was a correct decision or not isn't the point. I repeat my question, is President Truman a terrorist for nuking innocent civilians?
No he's not. It was a decision made to save American and Allied lives. The war was started by Japan, they got what they deserved. Truman really only had three options.

1) Declare victory and go home, Japan was already crushed militarily.

2) Invade and lose 1 million Americans.

3) Nuke them.
Calling him a terrorist is biased and dishonest, that's my entire fucking point. I never denied he had a hand in terrorist acts.....just like Truman by the way.
No it's not. He was a terrorist. Just because he went legitimate a decade ago doesn't change the fact that he still funneled money to groups like Fatwah(?). And I suggest you justify why Truman was a terrorist, your opinion doesn't count, I want facts.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.