Shaolin Soccer: Any good?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Shaolin Soccer: Any good?

Post by 2000AD »

I've heard a few people rave about the film SHaolin Soccer on the board. As a paper reviewed it today i assume it's coming out over here. Is it any good?

Having missed Bubba-ho-tep at the cinemas (it was only out for one week!) sould i make up by seeing this?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Short Answer NO

Long Answer HELL NO!

good as comedy for like 5min or so and then just plain awful
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I found it pretty amusing, but I wouldn't watch it again without the remote being close at hand.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Faram wrote:Short Answer NO

Long Answer HELL NO!

good as comedy for like 5min or so and then just plain awful
Ditto. The first five minutes were okay, and then it just got unbearably bad.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Yes, I thought it was pretty good. It does however suffer from some odd humor that seems to be prevalant in Chinese comedies.

I forget, is it the cut and dubbed version coming out here? Because it's supposed to be worse than the uncut version.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I love that movie sooo much.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Having missed Bubba-ho-tep at the cinemas (it was only out for one week!) sould i make up by seeing this?
You're not going to make up for Bubba Hotep with this stupid movie. That's like making up for Superman or Spiderman by seeing The Punisher.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Superman wrote:
You're not going to make up for Bubba Hotep with this stupid movie. That's like making up for Superman or Spiderman by seeing The Punisher.
Punisher was a good movie!

So the general opinion is SS is rubbish then.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Wong Fei Hong
Redshirt

Post by Wong Fei Hong »

Shaolin Soccer is an excellent movie in the uncut, unedited, Cantonese edition.

I would advise anyone who's never seen it to watch it.
Gellin' like Magellan...

Are you gellin'?
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I saw about 20 minutes of it on HBO before changing the channel. If I had found the remote sooner, the time would habe boon more like 10 minutes.

And this from a guy who complacently watched 40 minutes of Master of Disguise, inclusing the "Turtle! Turtle!" scene. *Shudder*
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Superman wrote:
Hey, I enjoyed Punisher. But agreed, Shaolin Soccer is not a substitute for Bubba Hotep.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Grendel
Redshirt

Post by Grendel »

Wong Fei Hong wrote:Shaolin Soccer is an excellent movie in the uncut, unedited, Cantonese edition.

I would advise anyone who's never seen it to watch it.
I wholly agree.
Lo! I am Grendel!
Ruler of the moors and devourer of men!

Um... has anyone seen my arm about?
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

The movie is totaly worth seeing if you watch only the soccer matches, and the fight scene in the begining, everything else is deffinitly rubbish, and you'll only get through 10 mins of it like most of the others here ;) The Comedy is very very dry alot of the time, and probably only funny if you know every cultural thing that happens over there - its just a different kind of humor, but its worth seeing for yourself, dont rely on peoples oppinions that have only seen 20 mins of it, my complaint was that it was too long of a movie.

-m
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I found it fucking hilarious, there's almost no "cultural" humour in it, it's all character humour, slapstick, and lampooning other movie cliches.

Steven Chow is like Jackie Chan all fucked up on drugs, and SINGING!

(Of course, I don't know what's happened to it in translation, get the DVD from Hong Kong, it's got subtitles on anyway, albeit occasionally in engrish)
The Wookiee
Lex Wookos

Post by The Wookiee »

I saw the subbed version a while ago. I thought it was enjoyable enough. Reminded me of a kids book called "The Five Chinese Brothers".
"I suggest a new strategy, Artoo: Let The Wookiee win."
SDnet BBS Administrator: Service With A Roar (And A Hydrospanner)
Knight of the Order of the Galactic Empire

Do not taunt The Wookiee.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I thought it was fucking funny, but it does start off slow.
You have to watch the Cantonese version with subtitles.
I can't imagine the english dubbed version is any good.

If you like Stephan Chow, then you know what to expect.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Its hilarious, although it really isn't any of Stephen Chow good works........ But then, it beats Trickery of Gamblers 2000 anytime, what with its somewhat stale parody of anything from Matrix to the Ring and A Man Named Hero.

Unfortunately, a lot of Stephen Chow movies DOES require you to be a tad familar with his brand of humour...... Just think Freddy Green, with a taste of class.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner