Ownership of Artwork

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Ownership of Artwork

Post by Kitsune »

I have an original art picture from an artist 'Coleen Doran' which I bought from an individual who needed money. It is not a copy. Are there any legal problems with me posting teh picture on my website?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

You own it, so it should be fine.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

As long as you don't claim it as your own, you're probably fine. "This is a Coleen Doran piece which I bought blah blah blah..." and all that.
The Great and Malignant
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

You own the peice and can do whatever you want with it, but cannot claim it as work you produced.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

A few years ago, I tried to photocopy come artwork which I owned the originals and Kinkos said I had to have signed permission for them to make color copies of it. That is the reason I bought my scanner and teh reason I figured I better check. The artwork I had been using was from a local artist who I believe died of cancer so I did not really see a problem but Coleen Doran is a bit better known.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)