Favorite classical music

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

bohemianfey wrote:The only problem about the Baroque period is that is spawned Neo-baroque shit like Randall Thompson.
(Raises eyebrow.)
I don't find his stuff too bad. :?
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
bohemianfey
Jedi Master
Location: Love wench in SDnet's polygonal - sex based reltionship

Post by bohemianfey »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:
bohemianfey wrote:The only problem about the Baroque period is that is spawned Neo-baroque shit like Randall Thompson.
(Raises eyebrow.)
I don't find his stuff too bad. :?
His The Pelican and Choose Something Like a Star aren't bad, but I got really tired of him after the billionth time of having to sing his stuff.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
"I give into sin because I like to practice what I preach."
PrinceofLowLight
Jedi Knight

Post by PrinceofLowLight »

I like Bach's harpsichord pieces a lot. Stravinsky, Holst, Beethoven, all that good stuff.
"Remember, being materialistic means never having to acknowledge your feelings"-Brent Sienna, PVP

"In the unlikely event of losing Pascal's Wager, I intend to saunter in to Judgement Day with a bookshelf full of grievances, a flaming sword of my own devising, and a serious attitude problem."- Rick Moen

SD.net Rangers: Chicks Dig It
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

bohemianfey wrote:His The Pelican and Choose Something Like a Star aren't bad, but I got really tired of him after the billionth time of having to sing his stuff.
Aha...so that's what it is. You should have sang the first movement of the Chichester Psalms by Leonard Berstein. That was a fun one to sing. I liked its dissonance. 8)

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Namarie
Padawan Learner

Re: Favorite classical music

Post by Namarie »

Tchaikovsky!!! 'March Slav' and 'The Sleeping Beauty Suite' are both awesome, Dvorak's 'New World Symphony', Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings', anything Vivaldi, Mozart's 'Requiem' and 'Symphony No. 25'(I think thats probably my all time fav), Gustav Holst's 'Planets Suite', Carmina Burma, Pachelbel's 'Cannon', 'Theme from Schindlers List' (Itzhak Perlman... <3) Almost any Pavane (Maurice Ravel's 'Pavane for a Dead Princess' specifically), Bach's 'Brandenburg Concerto' and 'Toccata and Fugue', 'Russian Sailors Dance' (I think thats part of Red Poppy, and I cant remember who its by) L'oiseau de feu's 'The Firebird', Mussorgsky's 'Night on Bald Mountain', 'The Rite of Spring' (isnt too pretty, but its fun) Brahm's 'Hungarian Dance'... And thats just scratching the surface :)
Yay.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Zaia wrote:'Symphonie Fantastique' by H. Berlioz,
:D I especially like the 'March to the Scaffold,' with the whipcrack guillotine and two bounces of the head (OK, so we percussionists were a gruesome bunch...it's the director's fault for making us listen to it :lol: ).
'Adagio for Strings' by S. Barber, 'A Set of Songs' by Amy Beech (so she's quite a while after the classical period--nah nah, sue me),
And Barber's not? :P I also like Barber's 'The School for Scandal' and 'Medea's Dance of Vengeance.' Haven't listened to Beech.
Orff's 'Carmina Burana,' Dvorak's New World Symphony (either No. 5 or No. 9 depending on how old the publication is), Symphony No. 1 by J. Brahms, Verdi's 'Requiem,' Mozart's 'Requiem' (especially the Lacrimosa), Ravel's 'Bolero,'
Agree on all these.

I also like some of Holsinger's more classical-sounding bits. And Percy Granger, as long as I don't have to play it. Bastard obviously didn't play bassoon...*grumble* trills on a bassoon in the high octaves. Twit.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Antie
Youngling

Post by Antie »

Dahak wrote:I like the Brandenburg concertos, Holst's "Planets", the Four Seasons by Vivaldi and much more...
Oh, those are some of my favorites! I also like Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Lately, I've been listening to Orff's Carmina Burana pretty often.
Latitator Latinicophilus apud StarDestroyer.net
The Latin-Loving Lurker at StarDestroyer.net
Governess - The Fanlisting for Tatiana N. Romanova
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

The Dark wrote::D I especially like the 'March to the Scaffold,' with the whipcrack guillotine and two bounces of the head (OK, so we percussionists were a gruesome bunch...it's the director's fault for making us listen to it :lol: ).
Must....find....
(Searches classiccat.net.)

No Hector Berlioz?! WTF?!?!?! :evil: I'm shocked and appalled!

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:Must....find....
(Searches classiccat.net.)

No Hector Berlioz?! WTF?!?!?! :evil: I'm shocked and appalled!
Ahahah! In your face, Joe!!! :P

The Dark: Was really just pointing out the fact that she was a woman again with my comment about her chronology. Sue me. :P :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Zaia wrote:Ahahah! In your face, Joe!!! :P
:x Nooooo!!! I must snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!

Zaia's march to teh uber l33t scaffold of d00m!!!!!1

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA--cough--
AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:P

EDIT: Replaced the first craptacular one with a much better version. :D

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Antie wrote:Oh, those are some of my favorites! I also like Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Lately, I've been listening to Orff's Carmina Burana pretty often.
I don't know how into solo piano music you are, but the piano solo version of 'Pictures' (how it was originally written) is really damn cool. Everyone knows the orchestrated version, but the piano-only version really shows you how extensively a composer can stretch the sounds of the piano. You should check it out if you haven't already. :D

Other works that rock:
'Samson et Dalila,' specifically 'Danse Bacchanale' by C. Saint-Saëns
'La Crèation du Monde' by Darius Milhaud (awesome jazzy orchestral piece that substitues saxophone for viola)
'Adagio for Violin and Piano' by Fanny Mendelssohn (Hensel)
'Romeo and Juliet' and 'Peter and the Wolf' by Prokovfiev
'Hungarian Dance Nos. 1 and 5' by Brahms
The flute Concertino and some piano pieces by Cecile Chaminade
'Trois Gymnopedies' and 'Trois Nocturnes' by Erik Satie
'Sleeping Beauty,' the 1812 (because the bass drum part kicks ass!), and the parts of 'The Nutcracker' that aren't overplayed and/or bastardized every Christmas--all Tchaik, obviously
'Fantaisie-Impromptu' and one of the edutes in particular (Eb?) by Frederic Chopin
'La Mer' by Claude Debussy
'Der Erlkönig' by Franz Schubert
'L'Oiseau de Feu' (Firebird), 'Petrushka,' 'Le Sacre du Printemps' (Rite of Spring) by Igor Stravinsky
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

-coughs- I forgot Dvorak. Dvorak is an absolute must.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Mozart, JS Bach, Strauss, Tchaikovsky. Beethoven's 5th, 7th, and 9th symphonies. Wagner's Ride Of The Valkyries and the prelude to Tristan und Isolde. Aaron Copeland. Gregorian and Tibetian chants. Gyorgi Ligeti and Aram Khakachurian. Berber's Adagio For Strings.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
bohemianfey
Jedi Master
Location: Love wench in SDnet's polygonal - sex based reltionship

Post by bohemianfey »

Patrick Degan wrote:Mozart, JS Bach, Strauss, Tchaikovsky. Beethoven's 5th, 7th, and 9th symphonies. Wagner's Ride Of The Valkyries and the prelude to Tristan und Isolde. Aaron Copeland. Gregorian and Tibetian chants. Gyorgi Ligeti and Aram Khakachurian. Berber's Adagio For Strings.
I LOVE Gregorian chant. I had to sing it like thirty times a month every month when I was in SGC, but dear lord did I love it. It's just so... **melts**
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
"I give into sin because I like to practice what I preach."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The classical music I like is Finlandia by Sibelius. (I wonder why :wink: )
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Is there no one who likes Salieri? :wink:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Thanas wrote:Is there no one who likes Salieri? :wink:
He's been mentioned a few times, and I as well like him (pieces such as Contredanse spring to mind).

And Revan, maybe on another note entirely, but I as well enjoy Finlandia. Maybe because I was supposed to play it for All-State a couple years back.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

verilon wrote:And Revan, maybe on another note entirely, but I as well enjoy Finlandia. Maybe because I was supposed to play it for All-State a couple years back.
All-State?
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Lord Revan wrote:
verilon wrote:And Revan, maybe on another note entirely, but I as well enjoy Finlandia. Maybe because I was supposed to play it for All-State a couple years back.
All-State?
Here in the U.S. we've got honour bands that are divided up by region. The nearest ones are city or county honour bands, then state, then coast/region. Here in Maryland it's All County, All State, All Eastern, and then the national.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Zaia wrote:Here in the U.S. we've got honour bands that are divided up by region. The nearest ones are city or county honour bands, then state, then coast/region. Here in Maryland it's All County, All State, All Eastern, and then the national.
Thanks
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

One that I'm surprised no-one has mentioned yet:

Albinoni's Adagio... even if he didn't finish it himself :)
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
Wong Fei Hong
Redshirt

Post by Wong Fei Hong »

Here are several good pieces that I've listened to recently.

Strauss Jr:
Tales of Vienna Wood
Vienna Blood

Rachmaninoff:
Piano Concertos

Tchaikovsky:
Piano Concerto No. 1
Violin Concerto

Addinsell:
Warsaw Concerto

Beethoven:
Moonlight Sonata
Pathetique
Gellin' like Magellan...

Are you gellin'?
Marksist
Jedi Knight

Post by Marksist »

Hmm.. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned my favorite composer yet; Dmitri Shostakovich. Maybe because his music is not actually "classical," but neither is most of the stuff listed here. I just love his thick, loud, bombastic pieces that feature the brass section, really gets me hyped, the fourth movement from his Fith symphony especially. The Gadfly is probably his best known piece, which he wrote for a soviet propaganda film.

I love the gourgeous, but repititive introduction to the fourth ballet suite, this one is sort of difficult to find, but if you do, it's a real treat, very beautiful. I love how emotional his works were.

Shostakovich is very similar to another of my favorites; Mahler, love his music, especially his brassy stuff (I'm a sucker for intense brassy music as you can see). My marching band plays an excerpt from his 3rd symphony before games.

Camille Saint-Saens also has a lot of really cool stuff, with my favorite piece of his being his Third Symphony (the organ symphony). It was used as the main theme throughout the movie "Babe." Great piece that I've also had the oppurtunity of playing with a gia-normous pipe organ.

Also, Zaia listed a crap load of my various favorites like "Scheherezade" by Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov one of my all time favorites, "Cappricio Italien" by Tchaikovsky, awesome piece I got to play an excerpt from in orchestra last year. I'm surprised how many people mentioned "Adagio" by Barber, also a really pretty piece, I also like music from his ballet "Medea," really cool esoteric stuff similar to Bela Bartok, whom I also enjoy. Well that's all I can really think of right now. Good thread.
-Chris Marks
Justice League
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
-Benjamin Franklin
President Sharky
Jedi Knight

Post by President Sharky »

Are there any other Mahler fans here? My favourite composition by him is his "Resurrection" Symphony. I love how the whole symphony tells a narrative and how throughout the finale we constantly hear that offstage band with the "caller" theme, and there's also those two big percussion crescendi that make the room tremble when I blast my Mahler CD on my home theatre system.

Other greats include his Gesellen song cycle (which the First Symphony is based on), and his Fifth Symphony, particularly the opening funeral march (with many great brass passages) and the romantic adagietto (IV) movement.
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Well, here are some of my favorites. Most of these I've played in an orchestra myself. I can't remember some of the composers though. Though I am sure most of you do and have listed them as well.

Die Fledermaus- Strauss
The Blue Danube Waltz- Strauss
Capricio Italien-Tchaikovsky
March to the Scaffold- "???"
Russian's Sailors Dance- "???" <- ( Had such a hard time with this in middle school)
New Word Symphony no.9 - Dvorak.
And a lot of Vivaldi.