SW mesh: destroyer thing

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

SW mesh: destroyer thing

Post by Howedar »

So I'm trying to figure out which to start working on, this or this. I'm leaning toward the latter, but I'm not sure. More pictures of the second one here and here.

So help me God, if someone bitches about the colors on an untextured and completely unfinished model, I will kill them. And yes, I'm aware that the first one is somewhat more detailed, both of these will pale in the face of the detail I'll put on a finished one (if I ever finish one ;)).
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

The colors look like shit! :wink:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Please die.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I dunno, I really like the bow end of the first one, but it doesnt seem to gel as well with the stern as the second one does. Not overly fond of the second one to be honest, the first one has more SW appeal to me, but the second one does remind me of the pleasure yacht from XWA, so if it's supposed to be a correllian battleship, maybe that's consistent with the yacht. Although I cant remember whether the yacht was constructed by Corellian shipyards or not.

Second one seems to gel better, but I do really really like the fore half of the first. :D
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

That's the one thing I don't like about the first one. It's completely boring and purposeless, only there because something has to be the front. Ideally I could have something smaller that allowed me to pack on a small superlaser (like the second) or a cluster of HTL turrets (like the first) while mantaining good fire arcs and not looking stupid. That's just a constrant imposed by Corellian design philosophy, though.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

It looks like a Corvette, an ISD, and a Battlestar mixed up.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

I think I like the Battlestar front more than the duck bill. I also find that I don't really like the geometry of the ISD-like superstructure on the latter. Something similar would be good, but I'm just not happy with the exact geometry you're using now. Good concepts, though.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
President Sharky
Jedi Knight

Post by President Sharky »

The first one looks like an intergalactic penis. :lol:

The second one's bow is fugly, and the terraces make the top a little too busy. Perhaps they should be more streamlined, more like the engine section.
Mutant Headcrab
Jedi Knight

Post by Mutant Headcrab »

President Sharky wrote:The first one looks like an intergalactic penis. :lol:
Maybe it's a Rebel ship designed to penetrate through Imperial lines and impregnate a specific target?
Hyperion
Village Idiot

Post by Hyperion »

I really like the look of the first one. Once the aft section gets smoothed out and cleaned up a bit it will look pretty good I think.
"Freak on a leash! Freak on a leash!"
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

I really dig the second one, it has a very in-universe look to it. (although both of them do, really)
The color scheme is a little fucked up, though. Can you please work on that? :lol:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

The second one looks like it could replace a Lancer Frigate or a strike cruiser.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

I like the first one the best. The bridge reminds me of one of the Starship Troopers ships....I don't know why. The bow reminds me of a Carrack. I think it's the lines along the bow that remind me of the lines along the hull of the Carrack. The "wings" look cool. I'm assuming the little purple thingies are HTLs and that they are mirrored on the ventral side of the ship. That would provide good coverage.

The second one looks like an ISD was cross-bred with another ship. I especially dislike the bow section.

Could you post more pics of the first model? I can't really compare any of the other details with the second model.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

No, cause I'm not doing the first model.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Understandable, it is a bit boring. Instead, why not try to make the second model look less like a duck. Why a duck? I have no idea, it's just what comes to mind. The notch helped a little, but it still just doesn't have that 'OMG so fucking cool!!!1' factor one is looking for in making a SW ship.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

could you post a monocolored version of the mesh? gray for example? the multi color orgy is disturbing.

the shapes look quite random to me which makes the ship ugly. shapes thrown together without one shape having any references to other shapes.
esspecially the blue engines part doesn´t fit to the rest of the ship at all. but the bridge doesn´t blend in very good either. you started with these scaled up stealth fighter like triangular parts and placed a bridge onto them that looks like the akropolis.

i´d keep the front part (cyan) and the middle section (dark red), kick the rest and model a new bridge and engines which are more adequat for these two parts.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

This is the direction I'm planning on going.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

They're both pretty sweet, and while I can't shake the feeling that the second one is a little too close to the Bengal class from Wing Commander, I have to say it's the cooler of the two.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Thank God, I'm not the only one with no great love for the stellar dildo. As for this Bengal, never heard of it.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

still looks like a ship glued together out of parts from several different ships. there´s no contunity in it.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

That's because it is several parts thrown together because it's a fucking concept sketch.

Jesus Christ.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Howedar wrote:That's because it is several parts thrown together because it's a fucking concept sketch.

Jesus Christ.
ah, and i´m supposed to magically know that you´re modelling a fucking concept sketch which you want to look like a ship patched together out of several ships? (what´s the point of that anyways?)

learn to have your work critisized if you want to post it on a public message board and basicly ask for it to be critisized. or do you only want people to praise your 1337 3D skilZ?

Jesus Christ.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Looks pretty good, Howedar. It looks like it will fit in to StarWars very well :)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

salm wrote: ah, and i´m supposed to magically know that you´re modelling a fucking concept sketch which you want to look like a ship patched together out of several ships? (what´s the point of that anyways?)
Perhaps the first post where I said that these were completely untextured and completely unfinished.
learn to have your work critisized if you want to post it on a public message board and basicly ask for it to be critisized. or do you only want people to praise your 1337 3D skilZ?
I love meaningful and worthwhile comments.