What are the best Heavy Metal bands

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Marduk didn't go to grindcore, they went to black/brutal death. There's a difference, namely, Marduk just played fast, their songs didn't suffer the "entropy" of grindcore when it all goes to shit.

As for "Black Metal isn't a musical genre" that's just a retarded position to take. Sorry, but it is. Just think about what you're saying, music is defined by how it sounds, not how "true" you want it to be.

Also, your objection to commercial success making someone not morally relative is retarded too, you expect them to adhere to your rigid dogmatic view of moral relativism when they can enjoy success and do whatever the fuck they want? And you claim they're turning against moral relativism.

If i see any exhorder, I'll get them.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:
Rye wrote:Dying Fetus
Holy shit, that must be the greatest band ever. :lol:
Nah, they're fairly bog-standard in death metal. Vital Remains and Cryptopsy are much more varied in their songs.
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Rye wrote:Marduk didn't go to grindcore, they went to black/brutal death. There's a difference, namely, Marduk just played fast, their songs didn't suffer the "entropy" of grindcore when it all goes to shit.
Brutal death metal is quite influenced by grindcore, to the extent that some of these bands are referred to as "deathgrind".
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The difference is whether the tune repeats or just loses coherence. When it loses coherence, that's grind, if it repeats, but happens to be ridiculously fast (but detectable if you acquire the taste) then it's brutal death.

That's the difference between bands like Mortician and Kataklysm.
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

I've been listening to quite alot of Gamma Ray recently. It's excellent Power/Speed metal; most of their songs contain sci-fi/fantasy themes. Check out stuff 'Armageddon' for sheer epic scope.
Dooku's Disciple
Padawan Learner

Post by Dooku's Disciple »

If you like Gamma Ray, check out Helloween and Freedom Call. Both bands are made up from various members of GR and continue the same style of Teutonic power metal sword n' sorcery stuff.

Also try Jag Panzer, Primal Fear, Destiny's End, Sinergy and Sentenced. It's all been done before (and better IMHO) by the likes of Maiden and Priest, but is still fun if you're in a jump up and down on the coffee table while playing air guitar mood :).

DD
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom..."
Equinox2003
Jedi Knight

Post by Equinox2003 »

Best metal band? none, I never could stand the stuff
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

...click above or try the mp3's in my sig -- The Fucking Am : Gold (The Fucking Champs + Trans Am + Jon Theodore)
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Iced Earth
Were they the ones that did that hilariously bad Attilla the Hun song? :lol:
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Dooku's Disciple
Padawan Learner

All of Iced Earth's last CD (The Glorious Burden) is hilariously bad. To hear them when they were halfway decent, grab Burnt Offerings, Something Wicked This Way Comes and Horror Show.

DD
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

actua;;y I think the first are still the best:

Black Sabbath
Led Zepplin
Alice Cooper
AC/DC
KISS
and honourable mention to
BÖC

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Hethrir
Jedi Master

Post by Hethrir »

So many genre's in heavy metal...

Metallica were good once they got Hammet, but then got crap when Bob Rock came along. Hammet's good, but can't really be considered a virtuoso.

Dream Theater (damned Yankee spelling!) The Miracle and the Sleeper + Erotomania/Voices /Silent Man is enough, let alone the other master pieces. The hotness of Petrucci on the old Ibanez makes them many times over. Pity about the Music Man sellout...

Yngwie for pure shred value and my love for all things Baroque.

Vai's heavier music like Bad Horsie or The Reaper (go Wylde Stallions!)

Mortification because they have enough variety for death metal to keep me interested (Scrolls of the Megilloth vocals are scarey)

Maiden because they just rock so much.
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

Dooku's Disciple wrote:If you like Gamma Ray, check out Helloween and Freedom Call. Both bands are made up from various members of GR and continue the same style of Teutonic power metal sword n' sorcery stuff.

Also try Jag Panzer, Primal Fear, Destiny's End, Sinergy and Sentenced. It's all been done before (and better IMHO) by the likes of Maiden and Priest, but is still fun if you're in a jump up and down on the coffee table while playing air guitar mood :).

DD
Thanks man! I thought Gamma Ray was unique in that regard, good to know there's other bands of a similar vein out there.
Dooku's Disciple
Padawan Learner

Glad to be of service :).

DD
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Rammstein
:D
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Moving to AMP!
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman