Partner Wanted

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Partner Wanted

Post by Lindar »

Ok… I’d like to partner up with someone on a story. Hopefully someone that is actually sem-serious about writing. As to further details, they can be worked out as soon as I find out if anyone is interested. If no one is… I’ll just toss it on the backburner. Leave a note here if you’re interested.

It’s an open offer. *tacks the note up*
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Can you give me a little more information on what type of story, please?

Is it Sci-Fi? Drama? Fantasy? Long or short? What is the audience?

Maybe I can be of some help, but I'm a writer of somewhat limited range.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Sure. I'm mostly free these days anyway. Just PM me if you're up for it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Can you give me a little more information on what type of story, please?

Is it Sci-Fi? Drama? Fantasy? Long or short? What is the audience?

Maybe I can be of some help, but I'm a writer of somewhat limited range.
Well... The audience can be discussed. But am more a fantasy writer than anything else. Though I'm willing to learn new templates, should the need rise. (be warned I have a wee bit of trouble when it comes to sci-fi... But it can be done).The length also can be discussed depending on whether one wants drama comedy horror etc... Basicly at the moment it's an open project.
Elheru Aran wrote:Sure. I'm mostly free these days anyway. Just PM me if you're up for it.
Lol.. it takes some planning you know!*hrmms*
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Is this a project for a class or something? I ask because it is unusual in my experience for someone to want to work on a story without knowing what kind of story--or even the genre--first.

My experience is mostly with short comedy pieces and short horror fiction, but I can do some fantasy/sci-fi stuff when I get a good idea. I don't like to write SF or fantasy unless I have a clear idea on story and characters first because otherwise it turns into a bit of a Niven-esque "look at the gadgets!" story without any emotional grounding.
I have been published (in humor magazines) but I am still growing as a writer, so I like to know what I'm getting into.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*laughs lightly* No it's not for class or anything. THe idea is just that i have to get used to working with other peoples ideas and thoughts besides just mine. I figure that by working with someone else on a "from scratch" It'll help me get used to how folk think.

There isn't much set in stone because I try to keep away from that sort of thinking. If it's set in stone it's hadr to let it grow.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lindar wrote:*laughs lightly* No it's not for class or anything. THe idea is just that i have to get used to working with other peoples ideas and thoughts besides just mine. I figure that by working with someone else on a "from scratch" It'll help me get used to how folk think.

There isn't much set in stone because I try to keep away from that sort of thinking. If it's set in stone it's hadr to let it grow.
Ahhh... you want to get used to how people think? Well, let me assure you, people think in the craziest ways... I should know, I've cracked the minds of several different characters... and as to getting used to working with different ideas/thoughts, that's not as hard as it may seem. Often one complements the other-- just read Kuja and Cyran's "How Stravo Got His Groove Back". Admittedly, most of that was Kuja, but I got the impression a time or two that he was incorporating a lot of Cyran's stuff-- which is the idea of the thing...

Another good partnership story to read is "Fast Times at SD High" or whatever it's called-- the stickyed one up atop the fanfics.

Regarding your genre-- i'm actually more a fantasy-esque kinda person, but I actually enjoy incorporating it with sci-fi just a bit. Take the story I got the "Kuja Award" in my sig for-- you might have to dig about in fics a little-- it's more sci-fi-ish, but it, i think, is a fairly good example of my style.

ok, i'll shut up now... :oops:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

While the offer is tempting. I'm afraid that at the moment I can't take you up on the offer. I have too many stories I should be writing, co-writing another story with someone else. Then I've got writing for classes. I think I've written around 30 pages combined in the past 3 days.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Elheru Aran wrote:just read Kuja and Cyran's "How Stravo Got His Groove Back". Admittedly, most of that was Kuja, but I got the impression a time or two that he was incorporating a lot of Cyran's stuff-- which is the idea of the thing...
99% of that was Kuja. I occasionally threw in things he worked with (Me stealing the Imperium Marine's gun, me working on the nuke).
Another good partnership story to read is "Fast Times at SD High" or whatever it's called-- the stickyed one up atop the fanfics.
Great story, don't copy their posting times though. :P
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm up for it. I have experience and the like. I'd be happy to help.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Lindar wrote:*laughs lightly* No it's not for class or anything. THe idea is just that i have to get used to working with other peoples ideas and thoughts besides just mine. I figure that by working with someone else on a "from scratch" It'll help me get used to how folk think.

Ahhh... you want to get used to how people think? Well, let me assure you, people think in the craziest ways... I should know, I've cracked the minds of several different characters... and as to getting used to working with different ideas/thoughts, that's not as hard as it may seem. Often one complements the other-- just read Kuja and Cyran's "How Stravo Got His Groove Back". Admittedly, most of that was Kuja, but I got the impression a time or two that he was incorporating a lot of Cyran's stuff-- which is the idea of the thing...

Regarding your genre-- i'm actually more a fantasy-esque kinda person, but I actually enjoy incorporating it with sci-fi just a bit. Take the story I got the "Kuja Award" in my sig for-- you might have to dig about in fics a little-- it's more sci-fi-ish, but it, i think, is a fairly good example of my style.

ok, i'll shut up now... :oops:
Bah don't shut up. Keep talking. See.. how am thinking, is that the story should work well no matter what "specifications" are finalized on. What am worried about is co-oping.

*darts to see if can catch ya heh*

<EDIT~> I'll get back to anyone who's voiced interest. As it's also something that needs to be discussed as far as writing and scheduling etc..
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I've been having some pretty bad writer's block lately; this seems like a good way to try to get over it. I'm interested.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*grins* I can help with writers block!*nods* And you don't even have to worry about me hanging onto the story that long if all you need is to get out of a rut*shrugs*

I suppose, what has to be worked on is the times then. Schedule changes are coming up(well for me they are) And that might be a bit of a problem. Anyone that replied got the same trouble...Besides Gandalf*talked to him about schedul-ish stuff yesterday*
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Hmmm, muy interesante...
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Lindar wrote:*grins* I can help with writers block!*nods* And you don't even have to worry about me hanging onto the story that long if all you need is to get out of a rut*shrugs*

I suppose, what has to be worked on is the times then. Schedule changes are coming up(well for me they are) And that might be a bit of a problem. Anyone that replied got the same trouble...Besides Gandalf*talked to him about schedul-ish stuff yesterday*
My schedule bounces around, so it's really a crapshoot.
To Absent Friends

Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

I like plotting stories; I'm interested too. Of course, I'm not what anyone would call a first choice. *Points to long line*
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

I'm for it, too much of a procrastinator to write, but a secretary would be nice. : P
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

I've been in a creative dry spell recently, and this looks like a good way to end it. My schedule's going to be pretty erractic for some time with finals and a new semester relatively close, though. Feel free to PM me if the others don't work out.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

You know, this isn't really Testing material. This should be in FF, I think. Looking for a writing partner isn't disposable discussion, sweetie. It's a real topic. :D

Am moving it.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Speaking from experience, make sure your partner on a collaborate project is compatible with you. Writers are egotistical by nature, and a collaborative project means you'll have two of them. Your styles have to be flexible enough to accomidate each other, and similar enough that it's even possible to reconcile them. More importantly, you both have to be able to criticize each other and take criticism. You have to be willing to say "Dude, that sucks" when something sucks and not softball things to avoid hurting his feelings, and likewise you have to be able to accept "Dude, that sucks" from him and not feel like it's a personal insult.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Curse my lack of writing ability!
While I spend shitloads of time building fictional worlds (some of which I think are actually very good), my ability to flesh them into stories is abysmal. So, I'm more than willing to help you, but I'm afraid that you'll be doing most of the writing itself.

I'd say Dalton is the better (and more likely) choice for ya.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

RedImperator wrote:Speaking from experience, make sure your partner on a collaborate project is compatible with you. Writers are egotistical by nature, and a collaborative project means you'll have two of them. Your styles have to be flexible enough to accomidate each other, and similar enough that it's even possible to reconcile them. More importantly, you both have to be able to criticize each other and take criticism. You have to be willing to say "Dude, that sucks" when something sucks and not softball things to avoid hurting his feelings, and likewise you have to be able to accept "Dude, that sucks" from him and not feel like it's a personal insult.
*grins* Trust me... I can take that from a writing partner. I take it from everybody else just about daily so no biggee. I'm not sure about getting an ego though... But yeah....*fidgets* I didn't expect so many replies so I guess I'll go first and tell about my schedule.
It's completely unpredictable from now until sometime in January when it will be stable once again. After the 17th of december my online status might be "dropped off the face of the planet". I'm serious about that. anyone ok with that revelation? *is being deadhonest, does want a writing partner, and knows from experiance a missing member makes trouble*
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Works for me, Lindar.
To Absent Friends

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Is it going to be based on an existing sci-fi/fantasy franchise, or will it be a universe you made up?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:Is it going to be based on an existing sci-fi/fantasy franchise, or will it be a universe you made up?
It's up for discussion actually. Generally for most(or so I've come to believe) scratch is usually easiest. As far as making sci-fi up goes...*laughs* I can't do that on my own anyway.