Spelling

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Spelling

Post by Alan Bolte »

Alright, I hate to be a fucking nazi about this, but why does anyone ever post something where they attempt to spell a word they don't really know and then follow it with (sp?)? I mean, for something fairly obscure, like a name from a novel you don't feel like digging through just now, I understand. But when you can just open a browser window, type the word into Google (which I specify because many people use it as their home page) or an online dictionary, and have one of several possible correctly spelled words suggested to them, why not take the 10 seconds? Hell, if you're on a really slow connection for some reason, most people have a word processor that comes with a spellcheck. If you don't care whether you've spelt the word correctly in the first place, why the (sp?)?
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Yeah, that pisses me off too. Of course, I try not to call people out on that sort of thing, because I'd seem like a hycoprite. :P
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

I think that falls under the "I'll freely admit that I'm lazy, but I don't want to look stupid" category.
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Because if I'm in the middle of composing a decent sounding sentence in my head, then I go to the another window or tab to find out how to spell whatever word I'm unsure about, I could and probably would lose the flow of the sentence. That's severely frustrating. If you write a sentence as you wish it to be read and have a suspected spelling mistake in there, you can presume people will know what you're talking about and not bother going fixing it.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

(sp?) generally holds that I have to remember to look it up later...cause it might be right...but at that moment in time it looks wrong.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I use Google as a spell-checker probably at least 5-10+ times a day. It's such a Godsend.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

If they're is a reeson for this tread, Im not gettinng it.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Sorry, no reason. This should have been in the venting thread in HoS, but it was posted in the morning, which is not a good time for me to be trying to think. I=Luser.

Lindar, I know that, that was my point. I was asking why 'later' is not before you hit the submit button, especially in forums with no edit button?

And if you're worried about the flow, isn't typing (sp?) going to interrupt that worse than just having a spelling error? Are you just trying to avoid having to read a post by some spelling nazi who feels the need to correct you? It frankly looks dumber than a spelling mistake.

EDIT: Come to think of it, was that a joke, Hipper?
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Yeah, I'm just a lazy ass. And I usually don't do the (sp?) thing.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

If I am typing up something long and complex I use Word to format and spell check. If I am typing up something fairly small, just a few sentences, I don't bother checking the spelling but I do put (sp) in as a courtesy. It shouldn't bloody bother anyone. I find intentional misspellings far more agrivating.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

For the life of me, I can never spell " thorough" correctly. I always write things like "through" and "through". :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:For the life of me, I can never spell " thorough" correctly. I always write things like "through" and "through". :P
i always tend to have problems with the word bureaucrat or bureaucracy myself. despite seeing it frequently i can never remember what the proper way to spell it is.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Darth_Zod wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:For the life of me, I can never spell " thorough" correctly. I always write things like "through" and "through". :P
i always tend to have problems with the word bureaucrat or bureaucracy myself. despite seeing it frequently i can never remember what the proper way to spell it is.
It's easy to spell. A-s-s-h-o-l-e. See?
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

If I'm about to type a word I can't spell, I'll just find another word (or words) to say that will get the same message across.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

For future reference everyone ...

It's rIdiculous, not rediculous.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Durandal wrote:For future reference everyone ...

I have the opposite problem with despise.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I generally do it only when the network's being a stone cold bitch and all the bandwidth is tied up like her chastity belt.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

Alan Bolte wrote:EDIT: Come to think of it, was that a joke, Hipper?
You're a quick one, I'll give you that. :lol:
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

As long as we're airing spelling peeves, the proper spelling for "possible" is p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e, NOT p-o-s-s-i-b-u-l. See also "probable".

I can't tell you how many times I've seen "possibul" written on this board.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
bohemianfey
Jedi Master
Location: Love wench in SDnet's polygonal - sex based reltionship

Post by bohemianfey »

d-I-v-i-n-e NOT d-e-v-i-n-e. Furthermore, it's m-a-s-t-U-r-b-a-t-e NOT m-a-s-t-E-r-b-a-t-e. The latter is MUCH more common on this bored and I've been noticing it quite frequently in any thread that involves the topic.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
"I give into sin because I like to practice what I preach."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Durandal wrote:For future reference everyone ...

You have no idea how much it annoys me when I see "rediculous." There's also that moronic "virii" pluralization of "virus."
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

Robert Treder wrote:As long as we're airing spelling peeves, the proper spelling for "possible" is p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e, NOT p-o-s-s-i-b-u-l. See also "probable".

I can't tell you how many times I've seen "possibul" written on this board.
But, it's completely diferent when it's a purposeful misspelling. Which is what "possibul" started as. If other people are doing it out of ignorance, I laugh at them.

What I hate, is when I type in "there" instead of "their", I've also caught myself with "no" when it should be "know".
How I do this, I don't no; their must be a reeson. :lol:
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Darth_Zod wrote:
Probably because of the silent "r". Was never really a problem for me because the "r" is pronounced in "bureau". Knowing French really helps in spelling, since so many English words have French roots, and are still spelled in the French way (unlike the words derived from the Germanic languages on which early English was based, which predate standardized spellings.)

I've got a little text area up on my Gnome-bar where I can look up words to check their spelling and definitions, so I don't have much of an excuse for using "(sp?)", unless it's not a dictionary word.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961