Encyclopedia Brown vs Cam Jansen

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Encyclopedia Brown vs Cam Jansen

Post by Bertie Wooster »

sorry this so retro, but this has been bugging me since I was in 3rd grade (1988).

Who was the better detective? Encyclopdia Brown who never missed a hole in someone's story, or Cam Jansen who had photographic memory and would remember every detail of a crime scene.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

"Click!"

I vote for Cam.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Never read Cam Jansen, but I read all the Brown books, I think. It's probably worth mentioning that there was one case he didn't solve. That girl who was his sidekick did.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Wait, someone wrote about me? Fuck, where are my royalty checks?
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I've read them both (long before 1988), and I far perfered Encylopedia Brown.

For one thing, if you were sharp, you could see the problem before the answer was revealed.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

I read quite a fair bit of the Encyclopedia Brown series (both the regulars and the cook-books) and a bit of Cam Jansen, and from the various stories and bits I remember, Brown's detective proweress is far superior to Cam's photographic memory in terms of application.

After all, what's the point of remembering that there was a knife at a chinese resteraunt if you don't know that they only bring knives out for dishes such as steak?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Old but amusing...

Ultra-condensed Encyclopedia Brown by Book-A-Minute:

http://rinkworks.com/bookaminute/b/sobol.brown.shtml
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Trogdor wrote:Never read Cam Jansen, but I read all the Brown books, I think. It's probably worth mentioning that there was one case he didn't solve. That girl who was his sidekick did.
True, but he repaid her by proving that one of her boyfriends was faking getting into a fight for her honor in order to impress her.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Frank_Scenario
Padawan Learner

Post by Frank_Scenario »

Fuck that noise. Encyclopedia Brown and Cam Jansen are no better than Inspector Clousseau compared to Incognito Mosquito, Private Insective.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Old but amusing...

Ultra-condensed Encyclopedia Brown by Book-A-Minute:
Meh, saw ultra-condensed Ruroini Kenshin once. THAT was funny shit.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I read Encyclopedia Brown and Cam Jansen in Grade 3...and this was back in about...1995-96, I think...and I always thought Encyclopdia Brown was smarter than that dumb bitch.

:D
XXXI