thought control computer

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

dragon
Sith Marauder

thought control computer

Post by dragon »

Heres an interesting article
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/12/07/ ... index.html
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Four people were able to control a computer using their thoughts and an electrode-studded "thinking cap", U.S. researchers reported Monday

Makes you wonder when keyboards and mouse goes the way of the Dodo if it ever does.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

We've been able to do this for quite a while now, Prof. Kevin Warwick for instance. There's even an Irish company making a headset to play console games with simply using brainwaves.
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

The concept has been around for quite some time. I remember watching a documentary over 10 years ago on this sort of thing. At that point, the US military was performing preliminary testing to see if pilots could "navigate" through a very simple simulated maze using only their minds with such a "thinking cap". Mind you, it was only side to side movement - no up and down, pitch, roll, yaw, etc.

I think the US Navy was working on "direction of gaze" for a while as well where a computer would track what an operator was looking at on their control screen and allow them to activate certain functions, move the "mouse" etc.

interesting.
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

wood wrote:The concept has been around for quite some time. I remember watching a documentary over 10 years ago on this sort of thing. At that point, the US military was performing preliminary testing to see if pilots could "navigate" through a very simple simulated maze using only their minds with such a "thinking cap". Mind you, it was only side to side movement - no up and down, pitch, roll, yaw, etc.

I think the US Navy was working on "direction of gaze" for a while as well where a computer would track what an operator was looking at on their control screen and allow them to activate certain functions, move the "mouse" etc.

interesting.
There are also primate projects with chimps able to manipulate a robotic arm via thought.
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

There are also primate projects with chimps able to manipulate a robotic arm via thought.
really? I hadn't heard that one...
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It has some interesting possibilities. Of course, we're still a long ways away from the AI Entity(which is what I thought of when I saw the thread title) :lol:
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Guardsman Bass wrote:It has some interesting possibilities. Of course, we're still a long ways away from the AI Entity(which is what I thought of when I saw the thread title) :lol:
Same here.

Without good, no evil. Without want, no lack. Without desire, no need. The circuit is one, and one is the machine.

I seem to remember a case where they implanted a node into the brain of a quadrapeligic, and he was able to (after some months) manuever a mouse around a screen and click on things.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Fuzzy
Padawan Learner

Post by Fuzzy »

Alferd Packer wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:It has some interesting possibilities. Of course, we're still a long ways away from the AI Entity(which is what I thought of when I saw the thread title) :lol:
Same here.

Without good, no evil. Without want, no lack. Without desire, no need. The circuit is one, and one is the machine.

I seem to remember a case where they implanted a node into the brain of a quadrapeligic, and he was able to (after some months) manuever a mouse around a screen and click on things.
What? From Civilization: Call to Power? That wonder was SHIT within 30 turns it will rebel. I hated that thing. Think about it, every turn, it has a 3% chance to rebel? after 100 turns, it has rebelled 3 times. (good thing it cant do that)
"Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
--Isaac Asimov

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... but most of all, it's time to kick your ass, Jackson!"
--Gil Hamilton

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
- Voltaire (1694-1778) on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan. (posted by Chmee)
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Fuzzy wrote:
Alferd Packer wrote:
Same here.

What? From Civilization: Call to Power? That wonder was SHIT within 30 turns it will rebel. I hated that thing. Think about it, every turn, it has a 3% chance to rebel? after 100 turns, it has rebelled 3 times. (good thing it cant do that)
It was funny as hell, though, if you got the Egalitarian Act; the damn thing would rebel, take your five largest cities, then rebel BACK to you 5 turns later! I remember I literally had to destroy the city it was hosted in by eliminating all the structures and turning everyone into merchants :twisted:

Even without the act, it was fucking funny to see it hop around, taking 5 of everybodies cities with it.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood