I was bored so I drew a Sardaukar...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

I was bored so I drew a Sardaukar...

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The thing in his right hand is supposed to be a sword. It's heavily inspired by Roman Legionnaires, but the gas mask, rebreather and gun add a futuristic touch.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
yangja isuko
Youngling

Post by yangja isuko »

uhm....i don't think sardauker use swords :)
Hi honey. Guess what I did at work today? I wore a bomb. A nuclear bomb in a field of flowers. I could get lucky. Tomorrow I could have a bigger bomb. I could kill more people. Maybe they'll be innocent people. Children, maybe. - John Crichton

Pilot: Is something wrong, Crichton?
John: It's that damn Peacekeeper bitch. She's barricaded herself in command. I think she's trying to take over the ship.
Pilot: I'm aware of her actions.
John: Shut it down. Lights, power, all of it.
Pilot: I'm sorry, John. I can not do that.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

yangja isuko wrote:uhm....i don't think sardauker use swords :)
Yah, they do. A short sword, or long knife, but they use them. Shields, remember?
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Are you kidding? The Dune Encyclopedia IIRC states explicitly that Sardaukar are some of the best swordsmen in the known universe.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Peregrin Toker wrote:
Are you kidding? The Dune Encyclopedia IIRC states explicitly that Sardaukar are some of the best swordsmen in the known universe.
But not better than the Swordmasters of Ginaz. Duncan Idaho managed to kill almost a dozen of them before they got him.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

At their height they were around the same as an (IIRC) 8th-level Ginaz swordmaster. Dune, however, is not them at their height, they've had time to get soft via arrogance. Not that they're pushovers, but they're not as good as they once were.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

White Haven wrote:At their height they were around the same as an (IIRC) 8th-level Ginaz swordmaster. Dune, however, is not them at their height, they've had time to get soft via arrogance. Not that they're pushovers, but they're not as good as they once were.
I doubt the Sardaukar were ever THAT good with a sword anyway. I believe they were merely vicious, and had the reputation for being utterly brutal and merciless. That's why Duncan could kill a dozen of them, and why the Fremen did so well against them. It also explains why the Emperor was shitting his pants over House Atreides troopers being taught by two Swordmasters.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Can't remember which book it was in, might have been one of the new prequels. Which would explain why I can't remember, my mind has blanked that tripe clean away. Still, it was mentioned that at their height, they were as good as, IIRC, an 8th-level swordsmaster of Ginaz. Not, however, but the events of Dune, hence how everyone and their uncle walked all over them.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Stofsk wrote:
White Haven wrote:At their height they were around the same as an (IIRC) 8th-level Ginaz swordmaster. Dune, however, is not them at their height, they've had time to get soft via arrogance. Not that they're pushovers, but they're not as good as they once were.
I doubt the Sardaukar were ever THAT good with a sword anyway. I believe they were merely vicious, and had the reputation for being utterly brutal and merciless. That's why Duncan could kill a dozen of them, and why the Fremen did so well against them. It also explains why the Emperor was shitting his pants over House Atreides troopers being taught by two Swordmasters.
I agree with you. They were not nearly as good as some individuals.

However I disagree as to why they were feared. The reason the Fremen had them and why Duncan's training (he was the only Swordmaster) was such a threat was that the Sardukar could be outclassed as a group. Until the Fremen came along there was no group that combined superior numbers and skill. It's like the US army today, some have better parts and some are bigger but none are as good taken whole.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I agree with Stormbringer's assertion. From what I can remember of "Dune" the armies of other houses were described as "levies" which doesn't scream crack troops to me. The Atreides putting together a well trained, professional army was a threat to the Sardukar and the Emperor's power base so they got the axe.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.