Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mmm Fresh Fanfic

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Stravo wrote:
NecronLord wrote:
particularly when they were beaming from close to a light-year away.
Errrr... shouldn't that me a few Astronomical Units? as they have never transported even that far.

(And did you use a spellchecker there, or does the Shadowfleet have Druids :twisted: )

I am slightly peeved at that little hijacking. Where is Warlord Thrawn?
I hope that something will be BDZ'ed as vengeance.
The light year reference is taken from the episode that introduced the whole subspace transporter idea in the first place. Damon Bokk was beaming out from several lightyears away.

As to the spell checking....you gotta love those druids...they are kick ass in a close in fight.
It was, Aww hell. Bloody astronomically illiterate fool ST writers (not you)

Yeah, remember what the druids did to the romans at angelsea. Oh wait, the Romans did it to them :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Yeah, remember what the druids did to the romans at angelsea. Oh wait, the Romans did it to them
Roma Victor!!! :twisted:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ok good Chapter but Nitpick

Self Destruct Codes are Verbal

Wraith Squadren the Admiral was able to intiate self destruct simply by say computer self destruct, his code and how quicky, less than ten seconds all totaled there are hard-wired systems in adition but thats basicly how ones blows up one's own ship(And it can be done from anywhere)

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Mr Bean wrote:Ok good Chapter but Nitpick

Wraith Squadren the Admiral was able to intiate self destruct simply by say computer self destruct, his code and how quicky, less than ten seconds all totaled there are hard-wired systems in adition but thats basicly how ones blows up one's own ship(And it can be done from anywhere)
Damn, really? I don't recall a verbal computer interface in any of the movies so I assumed in SW everything was done on a physical interface. Then again it's my total lack of experience with the EU after Heir to the Empire trilogy rearing its ugly head again. Let's pretend that Valaren was slurring his speech due to the after effects of the nerve agent and decided to try a manual self destruct.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Damn, really? I don't recall a verbal computer interface in any of the movies so I assumed in SW everything was done on a physical interface. Then again it's my total lack of experience with the EU after Heir to the Empire trilogy rearing its ugly head again. Let's pretend that Valaren was slurring his speech due to the after effects of the nerve agent and decided to try a manual self destruct.
Simpler, Have him forget his code, Trigits was damn long around fourty eight charaters

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Or Alternativly he remebers it say

Initate Code Authoriszation, Gam Zeta Traxis 14190 Epsolon or somthing

Because its so long and he's out of it he starts saying it, they hit him over the head and he stops(It has to be said in one go) then you get a better show as he despratly trys to say it and they keep stoping him instead of being so brutal to his XO for the sqewmish here or keep that it

Kind of like those spots in War movies where they repeat thier name and serial number over and over instead of answearing the toruters or captors questions?

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

WOW, Uber-cool story, I started reading this fanic a week ago and kno I'm hooked, there are now 30 chapters, I wonder how an will come out when he is finally done.

P.S. Who is Gary Mitchell?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Actually Bean, in TTAB, the entire bridge crew of a Carrack was needed for a self destruct (oops!)

And in Darksaber, Admiral Daala could put in the codes, activate, pause amd deactivate the self destuct of an ISD with a console.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

From my memory of TAB the self destruct on a carrack was two levers that had to be pulled by the CO and XO at the same time and they blew the ship instantly. Been a while since I read it hough and it's not like it matters one iota, the EU has made much bigger errors and they get paid heh.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It doesn’t matter. What's written works. Chances are the Carrack has had several different Flights built each with minor changes much like modern warships and aircraft. One block might have a different self-destruct then the others.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Excellent chapter, but a nitpick:

According to Truce At Bakura, a Carrack's Self desturct consists of a pair of levers, one on each side of the bridge. Two men pull the levers simutaneously, and the ship goes up, no warning.
JADAFETWA
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

IG-88E wrote:Excellent chapter, but a nitpick:

According to Truce At Bakura, a Carrack's Self desturct consists of a pair of levers, one on each side of the bridge. Two men pull the levers simutaneously, and the ship goes up, no warning.

[Repair mode] Perhaps the Carrack in Star Crossed is a new version. The Dominator was over a decade old. [/Repair Mode]
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

*shrug*

And that's Dominant, Thrawn.
JADAFETWA
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Who would have thought that the self destruct would have generated such a debate and simultaenously showing the inherent unrelaibility of the EU about small details. I'm sticking by what's written, hey as long as you guys are entertained who cares? :wink:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the brutality of the Shadowfleet as shown by Adare's callous treatment of a POW. But then again, maybe you guys expected it. :twisted:

Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Ok, you want a response on the brutality? 'Scuse me. *goes around the corner to hurl* I'm not big on gore. And your writing is very... graphic.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

It's only brutality if its not necessary, and the other side isn't already doing it.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I didn't think the brutality was too bad.

However, I did find the notion of a Vulcan fighting force tough to swallow.
JADAFETWA
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

IG-88E wrote:I didn't think the brutality was too bad.

Not fighting force Iggy, spies, black operators. It can be argued logically that the Federation's moral high ground would tie their hands when it came to the spy game and perhaps they needed a little extra help in that department.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I know what you meant, but I still found it difficult to accept.

However, I did find the boarding action well-written.
JADAFETWA
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stravo wrote:
IG-88E wrote:I didn't think the brutality was too bad.

Not fighting force Iggy, spies, black operators. It can be argued logically that the Federation's moral high ground would tie their hands when it came to the spy game and perhaps they needed a little extra help in that department.
Logic would dictate that some things just must be done. I'd expect Vulcans wouldn't have the same morals most humans do.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Imperial Hitlist:

JAMES T KIRK

Captain Picard
Admiral Durant
Admiral Ross
Michael Adare (oh yeah Mikey, you're a walking dead man)
JADAFETWA
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Now that I have thought about it. I think the bridge scene doesn’t seem right. The Imperial captain should not have been surprised at the torture of a fellow officer to get him to talk, after all the Empire its self uses a very similar method only using a low power blaster to melt away flesh. The Empire and groups within it make extensive use of it and other torture methods; so imperial officers and crew would be conditioned to fully expect it.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

He was surprised that the wimpy, limp-wristed Federation would do it.
JADAFETWA
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Mr Bean wrote:Ok good Chapter but Nitpick

They are also biometric, so the mind meld wouldn;t work unless he forced the captain to do it.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est