MP3 Best Deals

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

jegs2
Imperial Spook

MP3 Best Deals

Post by jegs2 »

Okay, in the old days you could go to Napster and download any music you wanted. Then the music industry stepped in and squashed that. So, I'm interested in downloading music, vice going to a record store and buying music. For example, I want to download, "Black Betty," by Ram Jam, but I don't want the whole album. Where is the best deal online for that?
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

Wal-Mart is the cheapest IIRC, but your best bet is to go with iTunes.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

So Jegs, did you say you wanted to pay for a music download?
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Damaramu wrote:So Jegs, did you say you wanted to pay for a music download?
Well, I assume that's the only way to do it, but where is the best deal?
Warwolves G2
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

The best deal is to get stuff for free. Use bit torrent, or iMesh or Shareaza, or something that's still free.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Yeah....I was gonna say for single songs, try WinMX. It's what I use when I don't want an album's worth of stuff.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Thanks. Running to the store and buying an album for the sake of just one tune was what I was trying to avoid.
Warwolves G2
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Apple's iTunes service is probably the best of the online music stores at the moment (and you can buy single tracks). There are some other alternatives that are slowly gaining ground, though (Wallmart, MSN, Real, etc.) There are other, less legal, methods enumerated above (which happen to be close to violating forum policy, hint hint).

The iTunes Music Store has at least four different versions of it by Ram Jam ranging from 3:57-5:29 in length and costing $0.99.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Damaramu wrote:Yeah....I was gonna say for single songs, try WinMX. It's what I use when I don't want an album's worth of stuff.
You wouldn't be suggesting that he do something illegal would you? As that is against the board rules...
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

darthdavid wrote:
Damaramu wrote:Yeah....I was gonna say for single songs, try WinMX. It's what I use when I don't want an album's worth of stuff.
You wouldn't be suggesting that he do something illegal would you? As that is against the board rules...
Thank you, david, we've got it covered.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I find emule(or any edonkey client) has very effective... chat. Its the best chat software I've used!
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Moving to AMP!
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Is using WinMX illegal? I know the whole shit about Napster but if ALL MP3 sharing is illegal why was only one major Peer 2 Peer network shut down?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

It was easy to hit Napster. It is harder to take down other P2P systems.
Fuzzy
Padawan Learner

Post by Fuzzy »

For "legal" mp3 downloads, try http://allofmp3.com/index.shtml?r=1806802593. It's a Russian site that sells songs for $.01 or $.02 per meg. Literally pennies a meg. Typical songs are about 4 megs. I'm not sure how legal it is, but I know it's legal in Russia. Hehehe. :twisted:

Personally, I don't use it, because I can't spare the pennies... So I don't know much about it, but I have heard good things.
"Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night."
--Isaac Asimov

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... but most of all, it's time to kick your ass, Jackson!"
--Gil Hamilton

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
- Voltaire (1694-1778) on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan. (posted by Chmee)
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Fuzzy wrote:For "legal" mp3 downloads, try http://allofmp3.com/index.shtml?r=1806802593. It's a Russian site that sells songs for $.01 or $.02 per meg. Literally pennies a meg. Typical songs are about 4 megs. I'm not sure how legal it is, but I know it's legal in Russia. Hehehe. :twisted:

Personally, I don't use it, because I can't spare the pennies... So I don't know much about it, but I have heard good things.
Oh, its great. Really reliable, you get your songs and they're fine, and they have a big selection. The only problem is that their PayPal service has been down for some time. Not sure if its back up.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman