Time to replace the pocket-knife.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Questor
Jedi Council Member

Time to replace the pocket-knife.

Post by Questor »

Well, it appears to be time for me to replace my pocket-knife.

What brands/models do you guys recommend?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

CRKT (Columbia River Knife and Tool) makes great knives. I have a M16 series 12Z Zytel blade.

http://www.knifesite.com/fullsize/CRM16-12Z.jpg

The finger guard keeping your index finger from touching the blade is actualy a carson flipper and allows you to quickly flip the blade out. It locks nicely and you can also slide a safety that holds the lock shut. Good utility knife for cutting through paper, tape, boxes, rope, etc... Good self defense knife.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Leatherman Multitool.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Leatherman or a Gerbil - I mean Gerber.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

It all depends on budget and use. For general utility on a modest budget I usually recommend the Benchmade mini-Griptilian or the fullsize Griptilian version. The Camillus EDC is also a good option, but due to the blade shape it takes a lot more practice to sharpen. If you want a prettier knife at the expense of handle security, the Kershaw Sapphire is a good bet. Good for cutting things, but not for stabbing. All the above can be had for about $50 each.

And of course, everyone must own a folding Bowie knife such as the Camillus MAXX.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

Well, if you're like me and lose 'em or break 'em regularly, I'd recommend Gerber. They make some decent knives at reasonably cheap prices.

Otherwise, I'd go with Alyeska or Aerius' recommendations.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

There here be my baby:

Unfortunately, the blade is loose. :(
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I've always liked Victorinox's Swiss Army knives. My dad's never had any problems with his, and I had mine for a good twelve years or so... wish i hadn't lost it, though... :(
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I second the Victorinox Swiss Army knife. I always carry mine on me, and boy can it come in handy. Once I even repaired my car on the side of the road with just the knife. Growing up MacGyver sure had it's influences.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I have a little Leatherman Micra multitool on my keychain but that isn't really a true pocketknife. Be warned, multitool arguments are near religious in fervor (Leatherman, Gerber, SOG and Victorinox all having their partisans).

Aerius usually has good recommendations on knives, tho.
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

I usually just get the little cheapos at Ocean State Job lot.

They see me through :)
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Kurki. Before anyone gets on me about the size of that bad boy, I do remember seeing very small ones for sale somewhere.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Tasoth wrote:Kurki. Before anyone gets on me about the size of that bad boy, I do remember seeing very small ones for sale somewhere.
I had a smatchet with me at one point or another. So don't tell me about unreasonable size. :D

I'd recommend a simple lockback, or side lock. Now, I LOVE Ka-Bars. I admit it. May I recommend:

https://www.ka-bar.com/product_detail.j ... y/Tactical

or perhaps

https://www.ka-bar.com/product_detail.j ... umber=4064

Now, personally, I'm extremely partial to this one:

https://www.ka-bar.com/product_detail.j ... umber=2746
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Oh, and in the less realistic category, may I recommend something similar to my very own favorite blade.

Yeah, I know its dark. Its just a basic twirl. :D

EDIT: Argh. Let me see if I can't get a direct on-site link.

EDIT2: Here we go. http://yt300000.250free.com/bali.html

Damn, I love 2.25 GB of monthly bandwidth for free... :D

Yeah, excuse the total lack of anything on that page. I just made it in 2 seconds so you could see this vid.
Last edited by YT300000 on 2005-01-06 10:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.coldsteel.com/tilites.html
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Jaepheth wrote:I was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.coldsteel.com/tilites.html
Too expensive. For that price, I could get a Jaguar Balisong... :D

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

No, just say no to that one. 420J2 is crap-ass steel with a claimed hardness of only 52-54 on the Rockwell C scale (actually you're lucky if you can get 52), it'll hold an edge about as well as a plastic butterknife.
Acceptable as a beater knife. The handles on those flex a fair bit and the knife gets a sloppy feeling fast. The lock & blade pivots on those develop play pretty fast, not good.
Now, personally, I'm extremely partial to this one:
https://www.ka-bar.com/product_detail.j ... umber=2746
Same problem as the first knife, 420J2 is not an acceptable blade steel, too soft, and no wear resistance.

As a mininum, you need a steel such as AUS6 or 420HC which has a hardness of 55-57 on the Rockwell C scale. 2-3 points doesn't sound like much, but the scale isn't exactly linear, plus these steels have more alloyed elements which makes them a lot more wear resistant. 52 is something you can easily file, cut with a hacksaw, or drill through with a standard high-speed steel drill bit. 55 and hacksaws just slide across it, while files start losing their grip. 58 and files slide right off it while drill bits have a really hard time getting through. 62 and standard drill bits won't even scratch it, and only carbide or diamond tipped drills can go through it.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Jaepheth wrote:I was thinking of getting one of these: http://www.coldsteel.com/tilites.html
Overpriced piece of shit knife, it's worth $80 at best. Get a Benchmade 710HS in ultra-hard M2 tool steel. You can cut through pop cans all day with it and the blade will still be decently sharp. I cut 2 pop cans into 1/2" wide strips before the edge lost shaving sharpness. Or if you want a legal switchblade, Camillus Dominator which I own & recommend, or its larger brother the Aftermath
YT300000 wrote:Too expensive. For that price, I could get a Jaguar Balisong... :D
If you want to see expensive, try to find a Benchmade 49-01 Balisong, of which only 100 were ever made. Goes for well over $1000 last time I checked.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

I only ever owned one of those knives, although I've used all of them.
aerius wrote:Acceptable as a beater knife. The handles on those flex a fair bit and the knife gets a sloppy feeling fast. The lock & blade pivots on those develop play pretty fast, not good.
Mine didn't do that, stayed as good as new for the whole time I had it, and I had it for about 2 years, fairly regular use. No idea where it went... :?

As for the softness, I don't exactly use these for heavy duty stuff, and the hugely diminished price is a good trade-off for something that won't be hacking open trees, or slicing off arms.

I don't like any of the fancy butterflys really, they're just ugly and overly ornamental to me. A plain black or brushed metal nice quarter pound of invincible steel with grooves and holes is good enough for me. :)

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

YT300000 wrote:Mine didn't do that, stayed as good as new for the whole time I had it, and I had it for about 2 years, fairly regular use. No idea where it went... :?
Hmm, you might've gotten a ringer. Either that or I abused mine a bit too much. The blade on mine developed up & down as well as side to side play in less than half a year. Might've been from prying & cutting those hard nylon packing bands which isn't exactly good for it, but I've done that and worse with most of my knives with no damage.
As for the softness, I don't exactly use these for heavy duty stuff, and the hugely diminished price is a good trade-off for something that won't be hacking open trees, or slicing off arms.
If the knife's mostly used for opening envelops, that's fine, but anything more than that and you'll need a better steel. I have a few knives from before I knew better made out of soft 420J2 steel and they literally have no edge holding and will not sharpen easily to a crisp edge. Take a shaving sharp 420J2 blade and cut through about 5-10' of corrugated cardboard and it will no longer shave. A decent steel such as 420HC will cut about 30-50' before dulling that much, as well as taking a better edge to start with. Knives made from D2 or M2 tool steel will hold an edge until you've turned a warehouse full of boxes into confetti, that's because the original application of those steels is to stamp out and cut steel & metal, they are truly a manly steel.
I don't like any of the fancy butterflys really, they're just ugly and overly ornamental to me. A plain black or brushed metal nice quarter pound of invincible steel with grooves and holes is good enough for me. :)
The Benchmade 42 is the standard against which all Balisongs are compared.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

Hell, why hold back? Get one of these. ;)
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Get the subtle knife...
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Frosts works for me, durable dirt cheap and very good knifes.

Never had anyone of those fail for me, works great and if you abuse it to shit just buy a new one for $5 or so.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I carry the Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Knife (compact).

I went to the shop looking for something else originally, but after handling that thing it felt so nice I had to buy it. Besides the nice balance, it's cool because you can flick it open, but is also legal in Canada (which bans switch blades, butterfly, or other 'flicking' knives). You need to push the blade out a tiny bit with a thumb tab before it'll flicks, which bypasses the Canadian law. But its such a small amount it really opens in a single motion.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Robert Walper wrote:Hell, why hold back? Get one of these. ;)
That reminds me, I need to regrip my machete.