Musical scrapbooking

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zaia
Inamorata

Musical scrapbooking

Post by Zaia »

Anyone else ever make a mix tape or CD about songs that remind you of a particular time/place/event/trip? I'm making one right now for my friends with whom I spent this past New Year's Eve, and I'm loving every second of it. Here, let me show you the playlist and why each song is included:

New Year's Even and Other Stories, + 2

'Gloria' by Laura Brannigan:
Kelly, Bryan, Eric and I drove down to OC in Eric's Cayenne turbo which has a GPS navigator who Bryan named Gloria.
'12345' from Spaceballs: We're dorks and quote movies.
'Tequila' by Los Lobos: Margaritas! Eric got sick off 'em, so he might not like this track, but it was mandatory. Oh yes. It was.
'Comfortably Numb' by Pink Floyd: Not only did this song follow me around that entire vacation, but it goes with 'Tequila' and the next song too...
'Beer, Beer, Beer' by ? (some Irish guys): Kinda self-explanatory, no?
'Two All-Beef Patties' by Jellyfish: Rock version of the McDonald's old commercial for the Big Mac, of which Bryan at two of on the way down, which made him sick and whiny for a day and a half, so we made fun of him.
'Tainted Love' by Soft Cell: Kelly and I sang this out the car windows to Eric's neighbours when we got back to his place at the end of the trip.
'Rich Girl' by Gwen Stefani: Had a good laugh when this came on while we were driving around looking for a parking spot at the beach--we found it amusing that someone had taken Fiddler on the Roof and turned it into a jam.
'Black Betty' by Spiderbait: I like this song and mentioned something to it about Brandon, so I put it in because I CAN!! IT'S MY CD!! Bwahaha.
'Good is Dumb' from Spaceballs: Only 4 seconds long, but it just might be my favourite track on the CD.
'Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen' by Louis Armstrong: Someone complained about something and I sang this to them (a la Princess Vespa in Spaceballs, yes we're boring but we kept referencing that movie because we drank to it), and then everyone else began singing it at random moments so it became a thing.
'Beef Jerky' by John Lennon: The Beef Jerky Outlet Store! Don't ask. :D
'The Waitress' by Tori Amos: We went out to a fancy dinner New Year's Eve and our waitress SUCKED!! Worst ever. We usually tip very well, but not that night. Ugh.
'Let's Go All the Way' by Never Heard Of It: Has the word "alleviate." Brandon was talking about something and said he had to "alleviate the bacteria" so we mocked him incessantly for that.
'This is Now' from Spaceballs: I like it.
'I Don't Want To Have To Marry You' by some country singers: There was a commercial on for a CD with this song on it and I thought it was hilarious, so everytime Kelly got whiny and bitchy I'd sing the title line like I was Bryan and everyone would laugh except for Kellly who'd just pout and say, "Hey!" and then she'd stop being as annoying.
'How We Do' by The Game ft. 50 Cent: Eric has a BET fetish. That is all.
'Ice Cream (Remix)' by JS: OC was out of chocolate ice cream! Eric wanted it, and so did Kelly, and everytime we went out to eat we'd look for a new place to find it, but it took about six different tries before we found a place with chocolate ice cream. Plus it's hip-hop, so it goes with Eric's BET thang.
'Hey Ya' by Outkast: This is an old song of ours, inside jokes with John L and John C about this song, plus Kelly and I rocked out to it in Eric's car when we tried to bust into the jerky outlet and when we were looking for ice cream.
'Assholes' from Spaceballs: I like this one too.
'Vertigo' by U2: Mocking Bono is fun.
'Motorcycle Song (The Significance of the Pickle)' by Arlo Guthrie: This is an oldie of ours too--back when Brandon was all kinds of diggin' me, Kelly, Kim and I had a girlie night and performed a magic spell on Brandon to make his libido disappear, and it involved a cucumber to represent...something, and since I picked out the cucumber, I decided to get a pickling cucumber. So there's that, plus Eric wants a motorcycle. :D
'Breakaway' by Kelly Clarkson: From 'The Princess Diaries 2,' which Brandon rented for Mindy, but the boys didn't let us watch it ever, so I'm going to inflict the song on them. Hahahah!
'Hey Mickey' by Toni Basil: When Brandon says something ditzy, Mindy pets the side of his face and says "You're so preeeetty" and there's a line in this song that goes, "Oh Mickey you're so pretty can't you understand" (or if it doesn't I thought it did), so I text messaged Mindy about it and then it took about 15 minutes to convince her that it was me who'd texted her and to explain to her how to text me back, during which the rest of my car (Eric, Bryan and Kelly) were all laughing hysterically.
'Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' by Bobby Vinton (?): Kelly and I had an ongoing joke about string bikinis. You need not know anything else about it. :P
'Auld Lang Syne' by Barenaked Ladies: It's a New Year's CD, duh. How else should I end it? And BNL rocks.

*phew* I have no idea if any of that will be funny at all to any of you, but it's hysterical shit to me. So, anyone else ever do these or am I the only one who thinks like this? :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

That's awesome as a collection and reason.

I did it once for a roadtrip I did with Dave to California. One day I'll have to get the two CDs we made for it. A whole gamut of weirdo songs as we slept in the strangest places and meet the most unusual people
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Re: Musical scrapbooking

Post by Tinkerbell »

Zaia wrote: 'Beer, Beer, Beer' by ? (some Irish guys): Kinda self-explanatory, no?
The Pogues. :D
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

'Let's Go All the Way' by Never Heard Of It: Has the word "alleviate." Brandon was talking about something and said he had to "alleviate the bacteria" so we mocked him incessantly for that.
I love them.

Wonderful songs, great reason to compile them.

I have never created a soundtrack for a part of my life, but I can very easily look back and place certain songs in certain events, as they would likely be played as background music if my life were a movie or somesuch.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Zaia
Inamorata

Re: Musical scrapbooking

Post by Zaia »

xBlackFlash wrote:
Zaia wrote: 'Beer, Beer, Beer' by ? (some Irish guys): Kinda self-explanatory, no?
The Pogues. :D
Yay! Thank you! :D

Mitth, you rock. That song rocks. That band rocks! Um, just yay for everything. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman