8%
Samsung V4400
15%

Total votes: 13

j1j2j3
Padawan Learner

Help me choose an MP3 Player!

Post by j1j2j3 »

I've decided to buy an MP3 player, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one to buy.

I'm planning on carrying it everywhere so if there is anyone who has any experience with similar items and carrying them around all the time, help deciding would be apprieciated.

*prices are local prices*

Contestant No. 1
The Apple Ipod

104x60x16 mm
158g
20Gb !!

2inch 160x128 B&W LCD

10 hours of continuous play.

400$

Contestant No. 2
Samsung YP-T5

23x54x23mm
24g
1Gb

tiny 3 line display

20 hours of continous play

200$

Contestant No. 3
Samsung V4400

ImageImageImage
93x45x24.5mm
130g
256Mb expandable with included RS-MMC slot

Very nice 252K color display 320x240

10 hours of continous play

+ 200Mpixel Digital camera with AF and flash
+ 4 hours of continous video recording possible (320x200x30fps)
+ Internet web browsing .. etc
+ It's also a cellphone

800$

The Ipod seems to be the best for only music but compared with the YP-T5 it's too big and expensive for a standalone music player.

The YP-T5 seems nice but it also looks TOO flimsy. Is there such a thing as 'too small to be practical' for portable gadgets? Will it stand up to much abuse?

The crazy cell phone seems nice since it's actually smaller and lighter than the Ipod but has much more features. But it's a bit on the expensive side and I'm not sure about the 'all the eggs in one basket' philosophy. Is it worth the 800$ ?
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

My experience with the iPod has been excellent. And if you're going to carry it around, the iPod is exceptionally durable. (It would take an earth-quake to make the thing skip.)
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
j1j2j3
Padawan Learner

Post by j1j2j3 »

Durandal wrote:My experience with the iPod has been excellent. And if you're going to carry it around, the iPod is exceptionally durable. (It would take an earth-quake to make the thing skip.)
How does it stand up to shock damage?

Since it has a hard drive inside what happens when I drop it ?
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

j1j2j3 wrote:
Durandal wrote:My experience with the iPod has been excellent. And if you're going to carry it around, the iPod is exceptionally durable. (It would take an earth-quake to make the thing skip.)
How does it stand up to shock damage?

I've heard reports of the iPod being dropped from high altitudes and still going like a champ.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

that samsung phone/mp3/video combonation is the fucking coolest gadget i've seen in a while. buy me one. :P
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

I have an utter distaste for combo gadgets, so I immediately excluded the Samsung V4400. The Samsung YP-T5 my be a nice player, but it has nothing close to the capacity of the iPod (the iPod being cheaper per gig for the stated prices). The YP-T5 doesn't support AAC files at all (per PC World review and Amazon.com), which would be a problem for me as most of my collection is in that format. It is also limited to USB 1.1 connectivity for file transfers (iPod has Firewire 400 and USB 2.0). However, the YP-T5 will act as a FM radio if that is your thing and has voice & FM recording capability if you need it (iPod would require additional hardware).

If this were my purchase though, I'd go with the iPod.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

IMHO Ipods are over rated. I myself am currently saving up for either a Rio Karma or the Creative Zen Touch.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Two siblings have iPods (both 20GB 4G models, one of them from the free iPod site). They rock.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I'd say the iPod is your best bet.
phongn wrote:Two siblings have iPods (both 20GB 4G models, one of them from the free iPod site). They rock.
I am intrigued. Please, tell me more.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

You have to jump through hoops and do all sorts of things to get a free iPod -- it is much harder to do it now than it used to be. Google for it if you want more info.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Is it the offer from Gratis Internet, at freeipods.com?
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Durandal wrote:
j1j2j3 wrote:How does it stand up to shock damage?

I've heard reports of the iPod being dropped from high altitudes and still going like a champ.
It doesn't, however, survive being backed over by a pick-up truck. An ex of mine did that. Bad idea.

I'm still voting for the iPod, though, because I'll bet the other two wouldn't survive being run over either. :D

Oh, and it's iPod, not Ipod. Just so's y'know.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

While I can't really comment on the other two, I bought my wife an iPod for Christmas and she absolutely adores it. The layout and fit and finish are simply outstanding.
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

After a hiccup with iPod (Amazon had to exchange my first one that came with a bad harddrive.) I LOVE it!! It loads music easily, looks nice sounds great and works with my computer very easily. ITunes is also a very cool system.

I recommend the ipod after using several jukeboxes over the years.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Don't own one myself, everyone i've talked to recommends it highly.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

The only real disadvantage is if more than one person in your home has an iPod and are sharing a computer, iTunes becomes hell. Other than that I love it.
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.