Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Stravo wrote:
Pcm979 wrote:
“First, the hyperdrive unit is powered by a special power cell that we link to our own hypermatter reactors to recharge. Once the charge is expended the hyperdrive unit becomes inactive. In order to recharge the unit, the Romulans would need a power source equivalent to a hypermatter reactor and we know that no such technology exists for any empire in this galaxy.”
The Doomsday machine has a Hypermatter reactor, right?
See where I'm going?
Shhhhhh..... :wink:
What? I posted it pages ago
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

A minor nitpick here Stravo, and I haven't seen it elsewhere...

Carrack Cruisers don't have a hanger bay. They have external racks to hold TIE's
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Captain_Cyran wrote:A minor nitpick here Stravo, and I haven't seen it elsewhere...

Carrack Cruisers don't have a hanger bay. They have external racks to hold TIE's
Shit, I forgot about that! That's right! They hold 5 TIEs, right?
JADAFETWA
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Captain_Cyran wrote:A minor nitpick here Stravo, and I haven't seen it elsewhere...

DOH!!!!! :oops:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stravo wrote:The Horan Corr was a Carrack class cruiser, usually relegated to simple picket duty in the mighty Imperial Navy, but here in this galaxy, despite her size and armament relative to other Imperial warships she was quite deadly.
ROFL. I fogot to mention: I like that name! :wink: :wink: :wink:
JADAFETWA
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

This is fantastic

Honestly better than most stuff I currently read. Heck if this was comic I would subscribe without a second thought...and after seeing some of whom are in the field and are praised I can honestly say so far is some of the best SW I have read in a long while(Dark Horse and their bleeding of the franchise)
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Meh. There's too much thinking for a comic. It would make a better manga.
JADAFETWA
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I disagree some things like Starman and Sandman proved Comics can have as much thinking and philosophy as any book, just with pictures...and then again Manga and comics are just slight slants of the same style not really saying who's better...just how one's vision is willed.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The self-destruct sequence could be easily altered by his XO being out cold as he obviously was.

As for the hangar bay- do'h. I remembered the external racks thing as well.

Oh ... doesn't the E-Web have a shield generator?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Yes, but the power generator has an unshielded exhaust port. :D
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

consequences wrote:Yes, but the power generator has an unshielded exhaust port. :D
I despise the Shadow Fleet. The Federation Remnant is much cooler- they are lead by Kirk- has all the cool characters (except for WESLEY) etc. Hopefully the Shadow Fleet gets smashed into little tiny pieces.

A point about the Doomsday Machine thing tho ... it does not have the power to explode a planet like a bomb that the Death Star has. In fact, IIRC it cuts up and consumes a planet over a much longer time period. And its neutronium armor is immune to Star Trek phasers, not Star Wars weaponry. If the Doomsday Machine destroys the Death Star I will be VERY displeased. That is all :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The question now becomes what is Kirk gonna do? This was his big plan remember? Does he know that it happened? Is he gonna turn up in the middle of an Imperial investigation and get the royal SMACKDOWN that I am soooooooooooooooo hoping that he'll get sooooooooooooooon!

Ah, Stravo, you've done it again!

And when is Thrawn gonna finally deal with this little upstart?

Stravo if Vader and Luke end up killing Thrawn at the end because you decide to play the moral card I will hunt you down and bleed you for payment!
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Crown wrote:The question now becomes what is Kirk gonna do? This was his big plan remember? Does he know that it happened? Is he gonna turn up in the middle of an Imperial investigation and get the royal SMACKDOWN that I am soooooooooooooooo hoping that he'll get sooooooooooooooon!

Ah, Stravo, you've done it again!

And when is Thrawn gonna finally deal with this little upstart?

Stravo if Vader and Luke end up killing Thrawn at the end because you decide to play the moral card I will hunt you down and bleed you for payment!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

You disagree?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I agree fully, I just resent tiny text
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

NecronLord wrote:I agree fully, I just resent tiny text
So do I.

You're all assuming that Thrawn dies...IF he does, I assure you it will be artistic.

BTW I noticed public opinion about the Shadowfleet has changed somewhat since they were first introduced. I guess its because we finally got to see the darker side of their missions. They're not heroes, they were never meant to be. They are the antithesis of the Federation and her ideals. The irony is that they truly believe that they are defending the Federation.

Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

You know, I've always wondered why groups, like the Federation or the Rebellion, etc, are always referred to with female pronouns.
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Kelly Antilles wrote:You know, I've always wondered why groups, like the Federation or the Rebellion, etc, are always referred to with female pronouns.
Because women are nurturing and supportive as we all wish our governments or causes to be and I also think it subconciously plays into the whole woman=must protect category in many men's minds. It may also be cultural since Germany views its own nation as the Fatherland. Nations like Russia sees itself as the Rodina or Motherland. AN interesting observation Kelly and one I did not notice me making until you pointed it out.

Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Hey, that's what I'm here for. ;)

Just like men and their cars. Cars are always female too.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Just like men and their cars. Cars are always female too.
Ships too.

AFAIR, the US Navy called a friendly ship "her", and the enemy "it" or "he" during the cold war. Interesting observation indeed...
ViciousMink
Youngling

Post by ViciousMink »

I believe of late it's become US Navy mandate to refer to all ships as 'it.' Which is a shame, at least in my mind, since I'm a sucker for tradition and I never saw anything insulting or demeaning in referring to a grand ship of the sea with a feminine pronoun.

Stravo, more praise for a good chapter! Though I have to quibble a bit with the graphic scenes on the Carrack's bridge. MOST of the Dirty Deeds done by the Empire have been either shown off-screen, or had the same visual impact of a shadow stabbing another shadow in the back. Visually, this gets accross the idea that the Imperials are really bad guys while at the same time not subjecting the viewer/reader to the gore that we know happens now and then.

On the other hand, this really, really put into sharp contrast what the Shadowfleet is capable of, morally, in the defense of the Federation. It also made them several steps below the Empire in many peoples' eyes because of it, I think. We've always viewed the Federation as occupying the moral high ground (in an arrogant, holier-than-thou manner) and so any sign of hypocrisy on their part is fairly shocking (c.f. Insurrection, Section 31.) It really makes one wonder, reading something like this, if the Shadowfleet is really a sort of qlippothic Federation... or a completely different cultural entity with no link to the real Federation other than in name.

As for the concept of an ancient Vulcan agency that employs S31/Shadowfleet tactics... that also puts an interesting spin on things. I for one am a fan of the 'great and vast conspiracy' literary device, and I think it's an intriguing that the Vulcans would have an S31-like agency to preserve their way of life.

It does, however, have a disturbing connotation to it: Are ANY of the ST utopias capable of existing on their own without the covert assistance of an agency or agencies that routinely operate in direct violation of that society's tenets and mores?
The Jedi asked, "What is balance for me as a servant of the Light?" The Master replied,"Balance is not what you seek. For you it is accepting that destruction is a part of the universe."
-- from Koans of the Silver Master
Founder, the Cult of Wilhelm. "Praise be to Wilhelm. AAAAIIIIUH!"
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

It does, however, have a disturbing connotation to it: Are ANY of the ST utopias capable of existing on their own without the covert assistance of an agency or agencies that routinely operate in direct violation of that society's tenets and mores?
I would posit that the CIA and NSA are just such organizations within the US system that prides itself on its own moral highground and dedication to democracy. Yet when people democratically chose a government we did not like - particularly in the Third World, we would eventually try to destabilize the situation to force a change of government. My general idea about s.31 and the shadowfleet is simple. Sometimes dirty deeds need to be done in order to portect and defend a nation because the world itself is a dirty and nasty place. Groups like the Shadowfleet allow utopian societies to thrive in an environment that is opposed to them without the society feeling like its getting its hands dirty.

The shadowfleet are patriots, the Federation right or wrong. In their fanatical zeal they will do just about ANYTHING to portect and defend her. I wanted to show that this is not particulalrly heroic. Black ops are NOT James Bond funfests. Its cruel nasty and brutish work.

I guess then my answer to that question, according to my fic is NO. You NEED organizations like this to protect nations or governemnts that are unwilling to get down and dirty.

Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Oh and Vicious Mink, the choice of going ultyra graphic was a concious one. I have tried to embrace the atmosphere of both universe's where gore and curse words are rarely ever seen. If you really look I think that this is no real foul language except in extremely rare circumstances...and I believe the majority have been in Shadowfleet chapters. The Shadowfleet chapters need to have a different feel to them BECAUSE of the message I'm trying to convey. We need to really feel and see just how nasty these guys can be. Used sparingly, ultra violence can get the point across very well...these are NOT heroes, NOT nice guys, NOT misunderstood loners. They are brutes with the will to do anything to protect an ideal that ironically enough rejects them.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I think they are going to suffer quite a bit upon the arrival of Thrawn.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I like the shadowfleet. Feds with balls.

Oh and if Thrawn gets killed then I for one will not be complaining. I never liked the guy, smacked of author egotrip to me the way Zahn wrote him at times.