Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

:shock: Heretic! :x :evil: :x
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

BLASPHEMER!!! KILL HIM!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Crazy_Vasey wrote:I like the shadowfleet. Feds with balls.

Oh and if Thrawn gets killed then I for one will not be complaining. I never liked the guy, smacked of author egotrip to me the way Zahn wrote him at times.
You should read Fist of the Empire for your first comment, and be shot a dawn for the second one.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

And here I thought the two terms were mutually exclusive. :wink:
Oh and if Thrawn gets killed then I for one will not be complaining.
I agree to an extent. It better be spectacular, and he must take no less than two-thirds of the remaining enemies with him. :twisted:
I never liked the guy, smacked of author egotrip to me the way Zahn wrote him at times.
He's better than KJA and Kyp Durron. :x
Last edited by Kuja on 2002-11-11 04:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
JADAFETWA
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

That's like saying someones not as much of a genocidal maniac as Hitler or Stalin.
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

i like thrawn!! and i need more!!! any rumors about the next champter yet?
As long there is gravity, ride on...
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Oh and if Thrawn gets killed then I for one will not be complaining. I never liked the guy, smacked of author egotrip to me the way Zahn wrote him at times.

You die now.

And Stravo, Thrawn does not die. He DOES NOT DIE DO YOU HEAR ME?!?!?!?!?!
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

IG-88E wrote:
And here I thought the two terms were mutually exclusive. :wink:
Oh and if Thrawn gets killed then I for one will not be complaining.
I agree to an extent. It better be spectacular, and he must take no less than two-thirds of the remaining enemies with him. :twisted:
His remaining enemies may not mass less then 250 billion tons
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
ViciousMink
Youngling

Post by ViciousMink »

Stravo, I understand what you intended regarding the violence/gore/semi-quasi-pseudo-explicit material in the fic. :) You *have* been using such sparingly, which probably made it all the more shocking when Adare went all 'Reservoir Feds' on that Imp officer.

Also, when you said 'The shadowfleet are patriots,' I was reminded of the movie Swordfish, arguably John Travolta's only worthwhile and decent role in recent years. ;) Your presentation of the irony of these crashing boors protecting the Federation in ways that it publically demonizes is subtle and appropriate.

You make a good point regarding the CIA and NSA (especially with the US military introducing Carnivore/Echelon II). In a sense, though, the mere existence and flourishing (even in *canon*) of an organization like S.31 makes the Federation all the more distasteful for me; all their high ideals, all their high standards, are all false. It makes Riker shouting, 'We're better than that!' sad; the characters in Star Trek are living a lie. This, I think, is the most horrendous and vicious act of literary murder that B&B could have committed. Putting aside the question of the actual possibility and validity of a society such as the NextGen Federation, it says that there is no way that such a society can exist without resorting to underhanded, dirty tricks that such a society supposedly turns it's back on.

It's a level of dishonesty that, if you think about it, is simply staggering. I have no doubts that the CIA and NSA do that sort of thing; US involvement in interference in sovereign nations is well-documented. But I guess that, in the modern US at least, it's acknowledged that it exists. The Federation really doesn't have that. The first reaction of everyone who learns about S.31 says, 'Oh, that's impossible, such an agency can't and shouldn't exist! The Federation wouldn't do such a thing!' (Conversely, the reaction of most US citizens when confronted with the dirty deads of the NSA and CIA is, usually, 'Yeah, they're spooks, and they've done some pretty damn bad things.' Which in and of itself boggles the mind.) That a society doesn't want to 'get its hands dirty' is too bad; a society has to acknowledge and accept what is done in it's name, or it must take measures to ensure that such is not done in it's name. If that means giving up on certain tenets of belief and ways of life, then society has a really hard decision to make: in this case, the Federation as a whole would have to accept that 'the price of freedom is eternal (preemptive) vigilance,' or it would have to take measures that an agency such as S.31 should not *need* to exist. Either way, it means an end to the utopia.

Sorry for the rambling here. :) The point is, I'm not arguing anything against what you've written, in fact I think you've been having a very appropriate presentation of how organizations such as the Shadowfleet, S.31, and the Vulcan... uhm... whatever-they-are (conspiracies without a name are even more scary! :) ) would function.

Hey, Picard should be the conscience of the Shadowfleet. Whatever happened to him? :)
The Jedi asked, "What is balance for me as a servant of the Light?" The Master replied,"Balance is not what you seek. For you it is accepting that destruction is a part of the universe."
-- from Koans of the Silver Master
Founder, the Cult of Wilhelm. "Praise be to Wilhelm. AAAAIIIIUH!"
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

ViciousMink wrote:Hey, Picard should be the conscience of the Shadowfleet. Whatever happened to him? :)
He's busy trying to talk sense into the Gorn and Tholians.
JADAFETWA
ViciousMink
Youngling

Post by ViciousMink »

IG-88E wrote:
ViciousMink wrote:Hey, Picard should be the conscience of the Shadowfleet. Whatever happened to him? :)
He's busy trying to talk sense into the Gorn and Tholians.
Oh, that's right, I forgot about that. Guess that last chapter just blew me away too much. :)
The Jedi asked, "What is balance for me as a servant of the Light?" The Master replied,"Balance is not what you seek. For you it is accepting that destruction is a part of the universe."
-- from Koans of the Silver Master
Founder, the Cult of Wilhelm. "Praise be to Wilhelm. AAAAIIIIUH!"
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

LOL, yeah. Stravo's writing can do that.
JADAFETWA
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Transphasic torpedoes are not an ace in the hole. 8)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

The Shadowfleet doesn't know that.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

D.Turtle wrote:The Shadowfleet doesn't know that.
You have learned much young one.....
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

stravo i need more!!!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Everyone wants more Fanfic but only certian people get to read the roughy copy the day before its posted :twisted:

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

damm, you make me jealous bean..
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You should have criticized Star Crossed more, Necron. Bean probably got this priviledge because Stravo has the impression that he is the authority when it comes to canon figures here ;)

Or he's just posturing in case he doesn't get to read the next chapter first, so that he can say he read the rough copy beforehand anyways :P
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Mr Bean wrote:Everyone wants more Fanfic but only certian people get to read the roughy copy the day before its posted :twisted:
I'M NOT LISTENING! LA, LA LA LA, LA LAAAAAAH!!
JADAFETWA
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

hmmm Shadow Fleet attacks Thrawns fleet when info is tiopped to them that more Imperials are inbound*L* Vader meets the head of the Shadow Fleet :twisted:
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

spoiler warning?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Nope he does not recive a pre-relase editoral comment verison

I should know

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

argh i think he wants us to be envy!!!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

PeZook wrote:
You should have criticized Star Crossed more, Necron. Bean probably got this priviledge because Stravo has the impression that he is the authority when it comes to canon figures here ;)

Or he's just posturing in case he doesn't get to read the next chapter first, so that he can say he read the rough copy beforehand anyways :P
Ahhh who cares