Update: WHFS says, "I'm not dead yet!"

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
Stravo wrote: Personally I've been listening to Satellite Radio and that's fun - something like 170 stations, I've barely scratched the surface of the variety available.

XM has several uncensored comedy stations, it's fantastic! Although the signal fizzles out in the bowels of the Big Dig. Do you get service in the Hollad and Lincoln tunnels?
The sole reason I chose XM over Sirius was the fact that XM has my boys on Oppie and Anthony. I've been listening to them for years FAR superior to Howard. XM is fantastic. They have a soundtrack channel that plays unavilable soundtracks like Predator and other oldies as well as soundtrack mixes. They have a TOP 20 station that you can call in and vote for the top 20 songs every hour. They have talk radio and this year its MLB (Let's Go Yankees!!) but I only have the Delphi II so I have no idea about reception outside my apt. We Manhattanites don't drive much Crackpot. :wink:
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Stravo wrote:Wow, if that's the standard listener to this classic rock station then I say "Viva la Rasa!!" Good on those racist fucks for losing their rock station.
I was afraid that would be the reaction if I posted what that guy wrote. I don't think that HFS's standard listeners were all racists fucks, especially since I happen to be one. I'm pissed off that they are making it sound like we don't want a Latin station in DC--that is NOT the case. I think it'll probably do fairly well, because DC has a fairly diverse population. I'd just really, really prefer for it to do well in another station's place.

I wrote an email to the guy who wrote the petition letter, asking if he could change the wording or add a section that states that we're not against the existence of the station in DC; we just want our old station back. It's probably too late, especially since thousands of people have already signed it (not to mention the business deal's done and that's probably the end of that), but I suppose it's worth a shot. I don't want someone to read through those petition names and think I'm a racist because my name is included there.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

An interesting point to bring up to those who think "we already have 3 spic stations!" is that not all spanish music is the same. There are several formats, including *gasp* rock. What would you say if someone decided there's enough music in english and mixed all the gospel, blues, rock, country, folk, polka, pop and rap in a single station and removed the rest because of redundancy?
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

I just found out today that CC is switching an Urban/Hiphop station into the NEW version of 101.1! Complete with all the dj's, minus the really cute chick dj. :o
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Slartibartfast wrote:An interesting point to bring up to those who think "we already have 3 spic stations!" is that not all spanish music is the same. There are several formats, including *gasp* rock. What would you say if someone decided there's enough music in english and mixed all the gospel, blues, rock, country, folk, polka, pop and rap in a single station and removed the rest because of redundancy?
YOu know, I'd actually listen to the station if they played Latin rock music....stuff like Molotov.

But each of these stations (except for the new one) play the same exact type of oompah oompah accordian music. That's what has fans of old school KLOL so pissed.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Damaramu wrote:YOu know, I'd actually listen to the station if they played Latin rock music....stuff like Molotov.
Actually they're rappers.
But each of these stations (except for the new one) play the same exact type of oompah oompah accordian music. That's what has fans of old school KLOL so pissed.
I'm not familiar with that kind of music so I really can't comment directly on it.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Enforcer Talen wrote:
Singular Quartet wrote:Ah, the joys of being in range of one of the only alternative rock stations not owned by a major corporation, WFNX (101.7 of the Boston Area).
yep, I flip between that and 104.1
I actually occasionally thrown on Emerson College (88.9) but only when I'm in the mood for something way the fuck out there.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I remember when WDRE in Philadelphia switched from modern rock to rap. Sad day. ANyway, broadcast radio sucks, outside of NPR. I'm switching to Sirius as soon as I can afford the equipment (Sirius over XM because they carry the NFL)
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Stravo wrote:The sole reason I chose XM over Sirius was the fact that XM has my boys on Oppie and Anthony. I've been listening to them for years FAR superior to Howard. XM is fantastic. They have a soundtrack channel that plays unavilable soundtracks like Predator and other oldies as well as soundtrack mixes. They have a TOP 20 station that you can call in and vote for the top 20 songs every hour. They have talk radio and this year its MLB (Let's Go Yankees!!) but I only have the Delphi II so I have no idea about reception outside my apt. We Manhattanites don't drive much Crackpot. :wink:
A soundtrack station? This sounds promising indeed...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Only time I ever listened to the radio was at WalMart, even then the good stuff didn't come on until midnight, when they started playing metal. :D

You have my sympathy, Zaia. She sounded like a mighty fine radio station. Atleast you had one, I don't even think we have a station like that here.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Aya wrote:You have my sympathy, Zaia. She sounded like a mighty fine radio station. Atleast you had one, I don't even think we have a station like that here.
When I saw you posted in here, I thought that maybe you got the signal down wherever you are in Virginia. It was 99.1--well, still is, but it's no longer WHFS, but now is El Zol! Bleh.

The suckiest part is that this station got canned because it has fewer listeners than the other two stations that company owned. Well, of course it did! The whole point of the station was to be a real alternative to the mainstream shit, so by definition is was geared toward a smaller percentage of the population, which is ultimately what killed it! Suckage. Total and complete suckage.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Zaia wrote:
Aya wrote:You have my sympathy, Zaia. She sounded like a mighty fine radio station. Atleast you had one, I don't even think we have a station like that here.
When I saw you posted in here, I thought that maybe you got the signal down wherever you are in Virginia. It was 99.1--well, still is, but it's no longer WHFS, but now is El Zol! Bleh.

The suckiest part is that this station got canned because it has fewer listeners than the other two stations that company owned. Well, of course it did! The whole point of the station was to be a real alternative to the mainstream shit, so by definition is was geared toward a smaller percentage of the population, which is ultimately what killed it! Suckage. Total and complete suckage.
Wish I did, hun, would've been nice to have an actual rock station. You see, I live in the fucking axis of redneck music. The majority of stations in my area are country music, with maybe two or three light, prissy rock stations.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

AS a fellow loyal HFS-er I can now chronicle my exact reaction when I found this out:

Mom says" Hey did you hear that HFS became a Spanish station?"
Me: *long pause*
Me: Bullshit

I have NEVER said that to anything my mom has said to me. I literally couldn't believe it but having now listened to the same exact salsa song reaplyed by twelve different artists and roateted once per hour I am unfortunately bound to accept it as fact and weep. When I got an update from the 9:30 club it was like the final nail in the coffin because if they were saying RIP then it was over. Man it just sucks. I mean having 101.1 and 98 rock means there is still some good stuff out there (along with 104.1 sometimes and 94.7 when I need my Bad Company) but HFS just did it better. Damn.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Any of you MDers/VAers ever listen to Mickey and Amelia on 98 Rock? I hear them on my way from job #1 to job #2, but anyway--last Thursday or Friday, they were at some bar somewhere doing a 'Welcome to 98 Rock' party for HFS listeners, and they had 500 "Adios WHFS" shirts to give away. That part was ok, but goddamn fucking Mickey was cheering about HFS being changed over and--gah! Pissed me right the fuck off! Not that he's usually the nicest guy, but fuck that shit! No need to be a cocky sonuvabitch for so fucking long! WHFS WAS BETTER THAN 98 ROCK!! Gah. I wanted to reach through my radio and slap Mickey's face after he danced around and said rude shit about winning out for the tenth time in fifteen minutes.

Anyway....yeah, I found out by flipping on the station on my way home from work Wednesday night. I heard a guy singing in Spanish, thought Big O & Dukes were joking around, and flipped it to another station for a few minutes. Went back and it was still in Spanish, so I tried again a few minutes after that. That's when I had "Oh no they didn't...not this station..no, no...oh no..." start going through my head. Got home just in time to catch the 11 news bullet about HFS switching over and that was that.

Fuckers.
EmperorMing
Sith Devotee

Post by EmperorMing »

Damaramu wrote:I just found out today that CC is switching an Urban/Hiphop station into the NEW version of 101.1! Complete with all the dj's, minus the really cute chick dj. :o
Is it 102 or 104? Your not the only one pissed about losing KLOL...!

Heck, I'd even take back the old Silver Bullet Head 96.5...

DILLIGAF: Does It Look Like I Give A Fuck

Kill your God!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Zaia wrote:Any of you MDers/VAers ever listen to Mickey and Amelia on 98 Rock? I hear them on my way from job #1 to job #2, but anyway--last Thursday or Friday, they were at some bar somewhere doing a 'Welcome to 98 Rock' party for HFS listeners, and they had 500 "Adios WHFS" shirts to give away. That part was ok, but goddamn fucking Mickey was cheering about HFS being changed over and--gah! Pissed me right the fuck off! Not that he's usually the nicest guy, but fuck that shit! No need to be a cocky sonuvabitch for so fucking long! WHFS WAS BETTER THAN 98 ROCK!! Gah. I wanted to reach through my radio and slap Mickey's face after he danced around and said rude shit about winning out for the tenth time in fifteen minutes.
Oh, they can fuck themselves with a pogo stick. 98 Rock was never HFS level and they can suck it down the only way they won is because the mindless corporate drones out there :evil:
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Today, when I was listening to the radio, I found out that a radio station was moving to a frequency used by a classic rock station. Later, I discovered that the said classic rock station was moving... to the requency currently used by the other radio station. My question is: What's the point in that?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

How odd, here we had KISS(which I could smell traces of Creed and Linkin' Parks cock through the radio) and KZEP(classic rock) and 102.7 KTFM, which went from rap or R&B or some shit I didn't listen to to a new/old rock station that is my new favorite.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

LOOK!! Look look look LOOK!!!!! :mrgreen:

WHFS is back!! Sort of!!

Of course, it doesn't work for Macs yet, but still! It's back in some form!! HOORAY!!!! :D

Oh, and the news just said that 105.7 (whatever station that is) is going to air the internet WHFS on weeknights and all during the weekend! BWAHAHAHAHA!! AWESOME!!
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

A similar thing happened here recently. KSJO, a long-standing hard rock station, was turned into a Spanish-language music station by Clear Channel.

But I have no problem with that. There's a huge demand for Spanish-language stations, and companies like Clear Channel are more than welcome to satisfy that demand.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Reply-To : iamhfs@whfs.com
Sent : Friday, January 21, 2005 7:26 PM
To :
Subject : The Legendary HFS returns tonight!

Dear Kristin,

Last Wednesday, January 12th, at 12 noon WHFS signed off the air...

YOU protested, YOU called, and YOU wanted HFS back! Well, someone heard you...

Listen tonight at 7 PM to LIVE 105.7 Baltimore to witness the return of The Legendary HFS. Thank you, because without YOU this never could have happened.
Infinity will put WHFS-type tunes on Charm City's WXYV, Live 105.7. The talk station will, for the time being, keep Howard Stern in mornings and Don and Mike in afternoons, but will run alternative rock during evenings and overnights, and on weekends. Starting tonight (Friday) at 7 PM. Say goodbye to DC's Ron and Fez. Some personnel from the old WHFS at 99.1 FM, which flipped to Spanish-language music last week, including afternoon driver Tim Virgin, will be heard via the new incarnation, which will be available fulltime on the internet at whfs.com and via America Online's Radio@AOL.com service. "We heard loud and clear how important WHFS and its programming are to the Washington DC/Baltimore community, and through our partnership with AOL, we are thrilled to be able to bring WHFS back to its passionate and loyal fans," said Infinity marketing suit David Goodman, via trade pub FMQB. "The legacy of WHFS as a pioneering music station will continue to live on for millions of listeners around the world."
I listened to it all the way to and from work today (which was a lot of time considering how shitty the roads are from the snow), and they keep doing thank-you spots about the overwhelming response Infinity Broadcasting got from WHFS listeners, including some of the calls they received and some audio clips of the protester's chants. Over 30,000 people petitioned, protested, called and emailed to get the station back, and it worked.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Woot! Someone wearing a tie acutally listened!
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

WHFS was a fucking LEGEND, 99.1 was what the Workout room was tuned to pretty much always, glad to hear its back in a somewhat reduced format

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Hey so long as they are playing it there is hope that a good thing won't be killed off because its willing to air slightly less popular if much better of a selection. Yay HFS.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Hey so long as they are playing it there is hope that a good thing won't be killed off because its willing to air slightly less popular if much better of a selection. Yay HFS.
One of the DJs yesterday afternoon said she wouldn't be surprised if HFS came back full-time, due to how much hell was raised originally. She thinks that it's entirely possible that people will continue to bitch until it comes back completely, so who knows? Maybe we loyal listeners will throw enough tantrums to get our way without compromise. :D

Although, honestly, I'll be perfectly happy if it stays like this. I'm just glad to have it back at all.