Star Trek Y-WIng fighter design

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Star Trek Y-WIng fighter design

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

After making my chunky Trek torpedo destroyer thing I found out that apparently in the amazingly inaccurate DS9 technical manual there is a little thing called the mini photon torpedo. I am told it was invented to explain how the little runabouts in DS9 were firing off photons all over the place, yet were clearly far too small to have a launcher for things the size of coffins. They are supposedly around 13 cm long and pack an almost nuclear level punch due to the matter/antimatter warhead.

I got to thinking that it would be pretty wacky to stick a shitload of these launchers into a ship and use it to pretty much blow the shit out of anything you'd like. It could be used to wipe out dozens of fighters at a time, weaken or destroy capital ships, bombard cities, and even clear or create minefields. You might also use it as a way to find any cloaked ships, by filling the suspected area with big bangs. It needn't be a huge ship either, something not much larger than a fighter say, and could be carried by capital ships and used in times of need, such as fleet actions or attacking planets.

http://www.axeman3d.com/posts/missileboatortho2.jpg

This is the MkII version, the MkI being a much more basic model to see how it would look. I think the influence of the Y-Wing is pretty clear in the look and overall shape/capabilities. The launchers will be installed in those pods on either side of the upper body. They will be detachable units so that other weapons systems can be carried, or removed if need be and use the ship as a fast courier or liason. Each is large enough to hold between 8 and 10 launchers, plus ammo for a few more shots so theoretically this thing can pack the punch of a nuclear missile sub in a tiny package. It should be able to track and launch at multiple bogies at once, taking out up to 16 fighters in one lovely salvo.

This is just the basic shape so far, it of course requires lots of detailing and decals and so forth, so a long way to go before it's finished. Any suggestions or comments are always welcome.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
Montcalm
Emperor's Hand

Post by Montcalm »

Front view looks like an A-wing.
Jerry Orbach 1935 2004
Admiral Valdemar~You know you've fucked up when Wacky Races has more realistic looking vehicles than your own.
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Interesting design. I like it :wink:
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: Star Trek Y-WIng fighter design

Post by Rob Wilson »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote: This is just the basic shape so far, it of course requires lots of detailing and decals and so forth, so a long way to go before it's finished. Any suggestions or comments are always welcome.
You'll probably hate me for this, but how about putting those disk shaped launchers from DS-9 (the station specifically). You mount it behind the cockpit and mini-warp core area (about level with the rear half of your present launcher), it gives you all-round fire (meaning you don't have to keep turning the ship, and can fire straight behind you) and you turn the rear of the ship into a big magazine - reloaded through that rear slit, so if you want to you can slide in a cargo pod in it's place keping the courier role if you want. You put small phaser strips in place of the launchers on your design and one on the nose, then top and bottom them for symmetry.

Yes it adds complexity to the firing mechanism (though the disk would probably need to be permenantly in the up position, no real room to retract in that hull), but then when has that ever stopped Trek. :D
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Since this is more a missile boat I dont really see the need for turrets on it, since it's designed to launch a shitload of guided nuclear weapons at a dozen targets at a time. Why bother with turrets firing at one ship at a time when you can take out fleets of them with one button press. :)

I thought that making the launchers an add-on pack might make it more flexible anyway, and it might be advisable to also have a turret pack as well for close in fighting where firing nukes is not an option. It will have it's own phaser strips as well, but self guiding turrets on the sides would help even up the odds a little in it's favour.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:Since this is more a missile boat I dont really see the need for turrets on it, since it's designed to launch a shitload of guided nuclear weapons at a dozen targets at a time. Why bother with turrets firing at one ship at a time when you can take out fleets of them with one button press. :)

I thought that making the launchers an add-on pack might make it more flexible anyway, and it might be advisable to also have a turret pack as well for close in fighting where firing nukes is not an option. It will have it's own phaser strips as well, but self guiding turrets on the sides would help even up the odds a little in it's favour.
Are we talking about the same turrets. The Torpedo ones, that fired about 2 a second when the Klingons attacked DS-9. It's not a gun turret, you could still load up the targets as a list and stand-off blasting them to bits. But now you have complete off-axis firing (why plow towards them when you can fly perpendicular to them and still hit them easily), and only one loading system to worry about.

Either way, you need some phaser strips on there for protection should you change load-out.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
JeanLucPicard
Village Idiot

Post by JeanLucPicard »

I know this is an old thread but I couldn't resist...

I love the design! The idea of merging ST and SW designs is revolutionary! It might even unite us someday! (yeah right)

The overall design is cool. The idea of the turret launcher could be nice, but put it on the underside. Phaser banks are a MUST. What happens when all the torpedoes run out? Is the fighter going to ram the enemy? :)

Anyhow, good job!
And I cast my crown before God Above
Sayin’ “I don’t deserve this act of love”
Then He picks me up and says to me
“You are my child and I love you, oh you are my child and I love you”
-----------------------------
And I need to take these trials, and listen to what God says
I need to be refined; I need to be strengthened
These trials will teach me, they’ll teach me how to live
I want them to teach me, I want to be like Christ

~~Chorus's to "Casting Crowns" and "These Trials" respectively. By JCS, copyright 2005 JCS
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Captain Picard, threadomancy is a big no-no around here (and no you didn't add anything worthwhile to the thread).
I predict a lock in the extremely forseeable future.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

yeah serriously dude, the mods locking every other fucking thread you've rezed should be a big hint.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Batman wrote:Captain Picard, threadomancy is a big no-no around here (and no you didn't add anything worthwhile to the thread).
I predict a lock in the extremely forseeable future.
Locked. And you're skirting pretty close to official cop business there, freak. Guess that goes with being Batman ;)

EDIT: Changed my mind, it's only been two weeks and he DID have suggestions for Kenny.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Then we give the thread necromancer a stay of execution!

Might as well lock this anyway, I have to finish two other projects now that have to take precedence, so this little ship will have to wait a few weeks before I get back to it anyway.