human wanking syndrome - another sci fi brain bug?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

My own universe has the main human polity in a state of rough technological, economic, and military parity with half a dozen neighboring alien polities (there are other human states, but they're generally small, weak, and isolated). This is, of course, highly improbable, which is a plot point...
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

It's not a brainbug per se but a combination of laziness and a story telling device.

For one the reader will most probably be a human and not a asdhfoaiw erhoiafoiahdf oias'f kha'[sghfwoeu (short version), so it is generally nice to appeal to a human if it is written with them in mind.

Second the laziness factor comes in a few shapes and forms (not all of which I will talk about here), two of which are laziness to invent and original alien species, and laziness not to do the typical.

I mean what are the chances of aliens being anything remotely like us? Very low, but sci-fi writers need to comprimise in order to get on with the story rather than spend the entire book talking about the aliens, so they give us a general frame of reference (bi-pedial and looks like a cat is a popular one, only surpased by the 'giant inscect' variety).

The other form of lazyness is that the writter can't take the chance of us the readers (who are most likely going to be human) are not going to like reading a story of us having our asses handed to us (not a lot of room for maneouver there for sequels you see). Or us being the bad guys (you see the audience - humans - wouldn't sit through that with a genuine alien species).

I mean for crying out loud, Hollywood butchered Homer's Illiad for fucks sake, a classic that has survived for 3000 years and was the fist major western story, because they didn't believe the modern audience could have understood that there doesn't need to by a 'good guy' and 'bad guy'.

Why all of you expect modern paperback mass marketing popcorn fluff books to be any different, I have no idea.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Crown wrote:Why all of you expect modern paperback mass marketing popcorn fluff books to be any different, I have no idea.
Hope, my friend...hope :D .

In all honesty I do agree with many of your points, it's just that in so many of us there is this small flicker that others will see some of our points and try to realize them beyond the cookiee cutter norm.

I myself?

I don't see it as much as a brain bug as sheer outright laziness and reorting to the classic cookiee cutter fashion. In that is why people who try something new and/or different AND make it succeed get success.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Ghost Rider wrote:Hope, my friend...hope :D .

In all honesty I do agree with many of your points, it's just that in so many of us there is this small flicker that others will see some of our points and try to realize them beyond the cookiee cutter norm.

I myself?

I don't see it as much as a brain bug as sheer outright laziness and reorting to the classic cookiee cutter fashion. In that is why people who try something new and/or different AND make it succeed get success.
I know man, I know.
acesand8s
Padawan Learner

Post by acesand8s »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:In the Strykerverse, Humans have only recently hit the space, qnd only because the Fraal(Greys) decided that Humans needed to be protected after one Illithis Colonial cruiser nearly succeeded in enslaving Man. They are one of the smaller factions of an alliance, and only have power because they border directly on the massive Illithid Empire, and thus must be a buffer and not piss the Illithids off at all, and because of technology left on Mars and Antarctica by other aliens millions of years ago that may put Humans ahead in the technology race. However, for now, they must tread lightly, as skirmishes between provinces are still common.
Sounds interesting. What are the books in that series? I've never heard of it.
"Typical Canadian wimpiness. That's why you have the snowball and we have the H-bomb." Grandpa Simpson
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Crown wrote:I mean what are the chances of aliens being anything remotely like us? Very low,
This very topic came up in PSW. It just seems to me that if you had three alien species - one a silicon rock creature who lives on planets that resembles Venus, the second a hydrogen gasbag that farts helium and lives in the clouds of gasgiants, and the third a Twi'lek chick with a fantastic rack - it just seems plausible to me that you would associate with the one that's closer to your frame of reference.

As you say, the writer must compromise for the needs of the story. But I do wonder at how many more permutations of the generic "We're lion men, we are warlike though honourable, and we have come to conquer you!" alien motif we have to keep getting?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Well, intelligent silicon 'rocks' don't produce spaceships. :D Twilek chicks do.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Farting gasbags in gas giants can't reach the stoneage, for one...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

...and both of you hit on my point.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Stofsk wrote:...and both of you hit on my point.
Which goes back to the symptome being more a story telling device than a 'brainbug' per se (the alien features).

Where as the Human wanking is a combination of story telling lazyness and lack of imagination.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Aside of Star Wars, IIRC there's not many sci-fi depicting humans as the most advanced race. I think the more dominant brain bug is depicting humans as a 'young-but-fast-advancing/adapting' race like in Babylon Five or StarCraft. But probably these also consider as human-wanking brainbug? "Most adaptable race", "primitive race with latent potential", etc.

Of course, naturally I'd also be interested in the discussion on literal meaning of 'human-wanking', although no sci-fi had displayed such brain bug by far.....
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I believe there is another problem with making a story revolve around a different type of alien species or whatever that your missing.
Create an advanced human race, thats just another 1 in a billion thats be thought up and printed.
Come up with something different for aliens, and if it becomes successful there is a good chance the author is going to have to wade through claims that they stole someone else's idea or was based on another race therefore the authur should forfiet some or all of their royalties.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

acesand8s wrote:
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:In the Strykerverse, Humans have only recently hit the space, qnd only because the Fraal(Greys) decided that Humans needed to be protected after one Illithis Colonial cruiser nearly succeeded in enslaving Man. They are one of the smaller factions of an alliance, and only have power because they border directly on the massive Illithid Empire, and thus must be a buffer and not piss the Illithids off at all, and because of technology left on Mars and Antarctica by other aliens millions of years ago that may put Humans ahead in the technology race. However, for now, they must tread lightly, as skirmishes between provinces are still common.
Sounds interesting. What are the books in that series? I've never heard of it.
Unfortunately, the books havn't actually been published- the author is a friend of mine who at the time just made a series of mostly short stories about it for fun since he was unable to contact a publisher at that time. I own all the stories, and only about 3 copies were made of each. I don't have a scanner or anything to upload these things onto the net, either.

Pretty good writing. They tend to be a bit contrived, though.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

My interpretation/summary of the mass opinon...

Universal sci-fi human traits
1. Reckless expansionists
2. Greatest potential
3. Most adaptive
4. Superlative power (underdogs or Empire)

Universal sci-fi alien traits
1. One note aliens (honorable, psychic, warlike, peaceful; basicall Wong's description of racism in Star Trek)
2. Static evolution (they are supposed to be strong or supposed to be weak)
3. CANNOT, for the life of them, adapt (always used to differentiate them from humans / terrans) Set in their ways like the Vong.

1 and 2 go hand in hand, if they are pacifistic they expand only so much and if they are warlike are obviously the antagonists. If they are spiritual they are above it all and a non-factor. So yeah, it looks like the result of a writer filling roles in a storyline.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

If it's done from a human perspective, though, then won't most humans see most aliens as being the same, you know, in the same way that all Americans are stupid cowboys, all Aussies are drunken larrikins and all Frenchmen are arrogant twats?
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff