Best albums of 2004?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Best albums of 2004?

Post by irishmick79 »

Last year seemed to be a pretty down year for music on a whole, but several albums I thought were worthy of destinction - primarily Green Day's "American Idiot" and Velvet Revolver's "Contraband". Green Day's album in particular was a brilliant effort, considering the political message behind it and the overall high quality of the music. Very few bands can take such a strong anti-establishment stance in their music and retain credibility. Green Day succeeds because they are a very talented group of musicians who back up their message with solid music and memorable vocals. This is an album that musicians just don't debut with, and I suspect that Green Day's credentials as a well established punk-rock band were the only reason the record company gave this album the green light (no pun intended).

U2's album to me was a huge dissapointment, considering the hype that it received and several gushing reviews that heralded the record as the band's best effort in years. Frankly, after listining to this record I'm starting to think that U2 is spent, and that their best days are long behind them. While I give credit to Bono for staying relevant through the charity work he does, I believe that U2 is hitting a point in their career where they should strongly consider hanging up the guitars. They are dangerously close to crossing into Aerosmith territory and becoming a has-been rock legend who doesn't know when the show has ended.

Your thoughts?
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Musicology first time, in along time the man has had something to say other than 'woe is me ... pluse it's just plain groovey, and nice tracks to get funky with the females with! :D

EDIT :: School's in session y'all! :D
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

I don't listen to much music, but I really liked Harmonium from Vanessa Carlton.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Tom Waits - Real Gone
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Definately american idiot as the album of the of the year, political message, memorable music and above all talent.

Another favourite of mine has been Three cheers for sweet revenge by my chemical romance. Not just your typical emo album (coming from someone who despises typical emo).

I want to put APC's emotive in there, but the album despite being well produced is weak compared to previous endeavours a good album none the less.

Isis : - Panopticon. Another Excellent album.

and finally my last fav for the year is Mad Capsule Markets album CiSTm k0nFLiqT japanese rock music with a techno twist. Good CD.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Labyrinth by Juno Reactor. 8)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I only bought one album in 2004: American Idiot from Green Day. It was good. But, I have little to compare it too in the end...
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Being ignorant of what gets played on the radio and on MTV, I thought 2004 produced better albums than what got produced in 2003.

Franz Ferdinand's self-titled album was excellent. Simply pure rock&roll which makes you want to get up and dance.

"Underachiever's Please Try Harder" by Camera Obscura another Scottish band, was very good IMO. Sweet female vocals and soothing melodies made for a very impressive album.

"Duotone" by Persil. These guys from Amsterdam produced the best happy-sounding electro-pop album of the year, and they're obscure now, but in a few year's they'll be huge.

"Milkman" by Deerhoof was probably the most creative and progressive rock album to come out last year, however, it needs to be played several times before the songs become enjoyable.

"Blondie" by Ada from Germany is the best techno album to come out last year, and is one of those albums you can play over and over.

"Leviathan" by Mastadon was the best Metal album to come out last year. I haven't heard guitar work that gave me goosbumps like that in 10 years.

"I, Lucifer" by the Real Tuesday Weld, couldn't really be considered Rock&Roll, but highly developed pop. It's a soundtrack to a book, and the elbum conveys a very emotional story.

"Funeral" by Arcade Fire, from Montreal however was by far the best album. They pretty much use an entire orchestra on the album, and the compositions are unlike anything else that's being produced by other bands. You can keep playing the album over and over and the songs never get stale, it's so intricate.

I'd also include on my list "Sur Les Traces De Black Eskimo" by Les Georges Leningrad (another montreal band), "Up Against the Legends", by the Swedish band The Legends, "Sonic Nurse" by Sonic Youth, "Medulla" by Bjork, "Laced With Romance" by Ponys, "Le Maison De Mon Reve" by the French-hotties band CocoRosie, "Fingers Crossed" by Architecture in Helsinki, "Dios" by Dios, "Basement on the Hill" by Elliot Smith, and "Love the Cup" by Sons and Daughters another Scottish Band.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Fear Factory - Archetype -superb return to form.

Scars of the Crucifix - Deicide - imo their best album yet, brutal guitars with an air of epic 80s nostalgia with the solos, the vocals and lyrics you'd expect.

The new KSE one was so-so.

The new slipknot one I thought had some damn good songs on it. Particularly Prelude 3.0, before I forget, and The Virus of Life, The Nameless was an ok song too.

I'd put in Vital Remains' Dechristianize album in, but apparently that was 2003.

Orbital had a recent release as well, I've not heard it, but I'm sure that was great too.

P.S Music threads go in A + P now. :P
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

To AMP with thee!
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

sorry.....my mistake.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The only new album I've bought that really rocked my socks this year was Franz Ferdinand.

They should go on to do great things.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Green Day's 'American Idiot' would have to be my pick, unless Blink-182's self-titled came out in 2004 (I can't remember)--then I'd really have to think about it, because they're both really good...
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Vendetta wrote:The only new album I've bought that really rocked my socks this year was Franz Ferdinand.

They should go on to do great things.
They're going have a very difficult time producing a sophomore album which doesn't dissapoint, because their first album relied so much on guitar hooks.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Showing both my age and music preferences here, one of the few CD's I got this year was John Fogerty's Deja Vu All Over Again :D
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I haven't listened to it all yet (and i have bought it), but American Idiot by Green Day is looking good if Boulevard of Broken Dreams is the standard.

Franz Ferdinand was good.

Continuing the self named albums i also liked Scissor Sisters.

IIRC Absolution by Muse was very late 2003, but since it's qualifying for the Brits i reckon it qualifies as 2004, and IMO has some of the best rock songs ever on it.

Tyranasaurus Hives by The Hives was a nice slice of punk rock with some good sounds.

(names shrunk to preserve some of my reputation)
Room on the Third Floor by McFly was a surprisingly good album IMO, despite having some utter crap on it, the good songs were good enough to redeem the album and the band as awhole in my eyes.

And that's it for the good albums.

IMO How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by U2 and Up All Night by Razorlight both suffered the same fate of having one good song on them and being over hyped as some of the best albums ever.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
wood
Youngling

Post by wood »

Not that the music is new, but Neil Young released a Greatest Hits album in 2004 which is just an outstanding compilation.
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates
Avatar - "Praying" by Alex Grey.
egyptfrk
Padawan Learner

Post by egyptfrk »

Green Day's American Idiot is by far one of the best, if not the best album to come out in 2004. A few other very good ones were IMO Eminem's Encore, Hoobastank's The Reason, and Korn's Greatest Hits Vol. 1. U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was decent, but definately waaaaaay over-hyped. And my favorite new(ish) artist would be Marc Broussard's Carenco.
There's too much blood in my caffiene system!
When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade other countries.
Image SoS:NBA Because boys are icky
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition (Nine Inch Nails) may not count, as it it only a rerlease of some old material (digitally remastered in 5.1 surround sound, but old material nonetheless). It's orgasmic though. Purely orgasmic.

Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (My Chemical Romance) is another great album. Just about every song on the album is a great song, and generally for different reasons.

American Idiot (Green Day) is the band's best album so far, IMO-- I dunno if it's the best album of '04, but it's pretty damn close.

Archetype (Fear Factory), as Rye said, is pretty good. I haven't sat down and listened to all of it yet, but I love what I've heard so far.

I could go on forever... I think I'm gonna leave it at this though.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

The problem with "Boulivard of Broken Dreams" is that the radio stations(atleast local) have been trying to do to it what has been done with "Good Riddence", only in a much shorter time span.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I second Franz Ferdinand, the Scissor Sisters, and Tom Waits' Real Gone.

I also nominate Elliott Smith's From A Basement on the Hill. It was released almost exactly a year after his death, and to know that this album was what he had running through his head when he killed himself is kinda haunting.

The re-release of The Name of this Band is Talking Heads (by, obviously, the Talking Heads) is also a fucking awesome album. It's a two-disc set that's about 75% never-released live recordings, including new versions of several songs, like Born under Punches (extremely good) and yet another alternate version of Psycho Killer.
The Great and Malignant