The Chronicles of Narnia

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Vympel wrote:I disliked Last Battle so much I barely remember what the hell happened in it, all I can remember is that it was utterly peculiar.
They all die and go to heaven.

Except Susan who was too interested in 'being grown up'.

I used to like them as a child, but having read more, and thought more about the world, now I can't look at them the same. Lewis' agenda of forcing his preference for the imaginary world (eternal reward, fictional worlds etc.) in preference to facing the real world, 'being grown up' is galling.

(It starts before The Last Battle as well. The Silver Chair is Lewis' attack on atheism, which he cited as being more about wish-fulfillment than Christianity.)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I'm pretty sure I erased The Last Battle from my mind too, because I draw a total blank, though it sounds like an End of Evangelion meets The Matrix Revolutions or something.

No doubt the books will be re-released anyway. I still have my original LW&W VHS at home from years back when it first came out, though I wouldn't mind getting the new DVD of it. The VHS may be worth something in the future.

At least this is promising. I like how the "Chronicles" title which for some reason now reminds me of Riddick. :P

Additionally, I hear the budget is $210M. That's insane!
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

A monkey persuaded a donkey to wear a lion skin they found and impersonate Aslan, which somehow led to Calormen finally invading Narnia. While they were fighting, the world ended.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Drooling Iguana wrote:A monkey persuaded a donkey to wear a lion skin they found and impersonate Aslan, which somehow led to Calormen finally invading Narnia. While they were fighting, the world ended.
You know, that sounded almost profound.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Drooling Iguana wrote:A monkey persuaded a donkey to wear a lion skin they found and impersonate Aslan, which somehow led to Calormen finally invading Narnia. While they were fighting, the world ended.
I'd almost forgotten why the Last Battle couldn't hold my attention. Thank you.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It's funny when you think about it.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

No, it's just wierd. And stupid. Hell, the Narnians were so stupid that they never caught on to the fact that they only ever saw Donkey-Aslan at night, next to a bloody SHED, IIRC, in poor lighting. What a dumb book. Really.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Vympel wrote:No, it's just wierd. And stupid. Hell, the Narnians were so stupid that they never caught on to the fact that they only ever saw Donkey-Aslan at night, next to a bloody SHED, IIRC, in poor lighting. What a dumb book. Really.
I wouldn't know. I must've neuralized myself if I ever did read it.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

sounds like hitchikers guide :D
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Phoenyx
Redshirt

Post by Phoenyx »

Wow. Cool. I remember the books as a kid (still has them in fact) & hope ta be able ta get my own cub into them, when he's old enough ta read them completely ( okay at all - he's 4). Never noticed religious tones to them & even now, with them pointed out, don't recall them (note must re-read series). I hope the movies do the books justice.
A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step in the right direction.

Alone we can do little.
Together we can do so much. – Helen Keller

Phoenyx
www.1w1r.com
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Vympel wrote:No, it's just wierd. And stupid. Hell, the Narnians were so stupid that they never caught on to the fact that they only ever saw Donkey-Aslan at night, next to a bloody SHED, IIRC, in poor lighting. What a dumb book. Really.
Fundies are so fucking stupid they've never caught on to the fact that God has never done SHIT in the real world, and in even the most generous interpretations of reality he acts invisibly. :wink:
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Phoenyx wrote:Wow. Cool. I remember the books as a kid (still has them in fact) & hope ta be able ta get my own cub into them, when he's old enough ta read them completely ( okay at all - he's 4). Never noticed religious tones to them & even now, with them pointed out, don't recall them (note must re-read series). I hope the movies do the books justice.
Excellent thread in which to make your very first post. *golf claps* :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I wonder if Reeses or Snickers will be making the movie's big tie-in snack: Turkish Delight.

I have a 30 something year old friend who read the books when he was a boy and still wonders what it is.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:I wonder if Reeses or Snickers will be making the movie's big tie-in snack: Turkish Delight.

I have a 30 something year old friend who read the books when he was a boy and still wonders what it is.
It's a type of candy.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

They don't have Turkish Delight in the US?

Mind you, for a nation that calls Hershey bars "confectionary", I guess real taste doesn't exist in measurable forms. My dad used to love the stuff. If you're wondering, it's basically a purply jelly, usually coated in chocolate and often in bar forms here.

Fry's Turkish Delight.

Generic diced cubes of the stuff, sans-chocolate.
Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

If handled well, this movie is going to break all the records in the States. LotR meets 10 Commandements. Perfect for all religious minded Americans (which comprises of, what, 80% of the population?) who like "action" and "adventure" but want to make sure the message is "wholesome" and "biblical". If all people who saw LotR are going to see this movie, plus all the people who stayed home because they felt the Christian undertones of the book wouldn't be there on the big screen (Peter Jackson being a godforsaken liberal after all), and we've got ourselves a winner.
Bob the Gunslinger

Master of Ossus wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:I wonder if Reeses or Snickers will be making the movie's big tie-in snack: Turkish Delight.

It's a type of candy.
I know what it is. I had some on vacation (in Nevada of all places).

It's like a chocolate covered jello or jelly or something. I just can't describe it too well. And I have to admit I was far from impressed with it. I certainly wouldn't follow some perverted satyrnine faun into his lair of fondling for it, like the kid in the book.

Nope. Give me a Reeses Peanut-Butter Cup any day of the week over that stuff.

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Remember, that was super-addictive Turkish Delight, not the normal stuff.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Bob the Gunslinger

Drooling Iguana wrote:Remember, that was super-addictive Turkish Delight, not the normal stuff.
So what... crack jelly inside Giradelli chocolate then?

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Drooling Iguana wrote:Remember, that was super-addictive Turkish Delight, not the normal stuff.
Pretty much. And it was the White Witch who had the Turkish Delight, not Tumnus the Faun-- Tummus was Lucy's friend, Edmund got preyed upon by the White Witch.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Bob the Gunslinger

Elheru Aran wrote:
Pretty much. And it was the White Witch who had the Turkish Delight, not Tumnus the Faun-- Tummus was Lucy's friend, Edmund got preyed upon by the White Witch.

Pfft, they're all just metaphors for satan anyway...

:P

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The White Witch was scarier than Satan though, at least in the mini-series. All that cold must've put her on constant PMT.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:

The White Witch was scarier than Satan though, at least in the mini-series. All that cold must've put her on constant PMT.
It's a good thing that I saw that tv-series when I was still young enough to resist the urge to make beaver jokes.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

I'd like to get a copy of Last Battle just for completeness. Sadly, you can't get the books in the same cover style as I have already :(

Oh, and can the voiceover dude on the trailer learn how to pronounce "Narnia" proberly? It's not "Nannia"
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"