Clumsy weapon

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Melchior
Jedi Master

Clumsy weapon

Post by Melchior »

This is an assault rifle I designed for a mod I am working on.
It should look unrealiable, prone to jamming and unwieldy.
Does it?
(it is done in freehand 10, unfortunately export quality in .jpg format isn't exactly where this program shines)
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Well, the trigger is unnecessarily huge, as well as not giving you a place to put your thumb, there doesn't appear to be a magazine port, the tiny barrel length will result in tremendous recoil, the rear sights are overly complex, and without forward sights won't be too useful anyway, and there is no stock.

And what is that... thing... at the end? The semi-circle.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

YT300000 wrote: And what is that... thing... at the end? The semi-circle.
That thing contains ammunition, and rotates during firing, with high risks of hurting the operator.
Recharging the thing takes ten minutes and a screwdriver.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

...What the fuck? Why are you designing such a horrible weapon? :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:...What the fuck? Why are you designing such a horrible weapon? :P
It's for a very depressing mod which should be as cruel and painful to play as possible in order to deliver its message.
To name one of the more important aspects of the gameplay, every character has a remote controlled gps system with electrodes grafted to the brain that can kill him if he does "wrong" things, like running away or not killing the unarmed five-years old child.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Clearly subscribing to the school of thought that the interface should hurt the user as much as possible. Nicely done.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Melchior wrote:
YT300000 wrote: And what is that... thing... at the end? The semi-circle.
That thing contains ammunition, and rotates during firing, with high risks of hurting the operator.
Recharging the thing takes ten minutes and a screwdriver.
In that case, remove the foregrip, and the barrel shroud. You may also consider a device to shoot ejected gasses back at the user. Oh, and put the sights on the side, and make the ammunition thing spiked, and contain the minmum amount of rounds possible.

Oh, and replace the trigger with a large button, that has a really tough spring and a pull of... oh... 20 lbs?

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Make it fire elephant gun rounds at full auto. That'll fuck up anyone using it... :twisted:
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

darthdavid wrote:Make it fire elephant gun rounds at full auto. That'll fuck up anyone using it... :twisted:
Yes, and make it so that it ONLY fires in 7 round bursts. Too much to be useful or accurate, and wastes ammo.

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

YT300000 wrote:
darthdavid wrote:Make it fire elephant gun rounds at full auto. That'll fuck up anyone using it... :twisted:
Yes, and make it so that it ONLY fires in 7 round bursts. Too much to be useful or accurate, and wastes ammo.
And too few to properly spray in the hopes of randomly hitting a target/provide suppressive fire. I like the way you think. :)
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

YT300000 wrote: Yes, and make it so that it ONLY fires in 7 round bursts. Too much to be useful or accurate, and wastes ammo.
I was already thinking to have it have a lot of recoil, but I will add the "only seven round burst as a firing mode", it helps in the "awfully bad designed" category.
Ah, the thing is not spiked, but it is sharp (obviously this can't be seen from sides)
And I can't add anything to blatantly harmful (like the gas-redirecting device), only really bad design choices.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Don't forget to have it report your remaining amount of ammo in an annoying synthesised voice, not only driving everybody who uses it mad but also giving important info to the enemy. :P
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Actually, 5-round bursts seem to be just as bad as 7s... But they don't waste as much ammo.

Having the rounds/cylinder smack into the wielder's ribs/face depending on where he fires it from is, of course, a must.

Make it prone to overheating after a few seconds.

Aside from that, having the gun anally rape the firer is the best other option I can think of. :o
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Pcm979 wrote:Don't forget to have it report your remaining amount of ammo in an annoying synthesised voice, not only driving everybody who uses it mad but also giving important info to the enemy. :P
The thing that seems an oversized rear sight is actually a projector that tracks the position of the user eye and projects on it information.
Unfortunately it has a tendency to permanently blind the user after a few hours (in-game, the field of view is reduced, when this happens).
In the hears of the player there is already a never-ending stream of soviet-style propaganda.
EDIT: This is a very early concept of a weapon that will be exclusively used by AI-controlled bots. It's a flamethrower designed for killing hordes of inepts with erratic and under-powered rifles. The thing behind should be on the user shoulder, and it help keeping the weapon straight (it is very heavy). Now, since am not very expert in this field, there are any glaring design flaws, besides the exposed fuel tanks (it is for technobabble reasons)?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

cool, the pain station disguised as an ego shooter.

you need to include a dildo pointing at the players ass in this interface of yours. when the player is hit the dildo starts moving back and forth, and back and forth, and back and...

and the lower your energy the hotter the dildo.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

salm wrote:cool, the pain station disguised as an ego shooter.

you need to include a dildo pointing at the players ass in this interface of yours. when the player is hit the dildo starts moving back and forth, and back and forth, and back and...

and the lower your energy the hotter the dildo.
I suspect there is a misunderstandement going on: it is the playing character, not the user, that has things grafted to his brain. :oops:
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

The stock looks awfully fragile, the trigger would be nice if it was bent, and a small shield in front of the foregrip would also be nice (considering how far forward it is).

Also, since you say its heavy, a sling might help with load-bearing.

Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

YT300000 wrote:The stock looks awfully fragile, the trigger would be nice if it was bent, and a small shield in front of the foregrip would also be nice (considering how far forward it is).

Also, since you say its heavy, a sling might help with load-bearing.
Trigger fixed and foregrip shield added, thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately the sling could be very difficult to implement in a game.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Ejecting the brass into the user's face is a must. Maybe with it's own targetting system that aims at the eye not connected to the sight.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Melchior, I'm never playing your game. Although designing awful weapons is fun, if you ever need help. :P
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Fire that mod's 'designer' and hire someone over the age of 14 (and no, don't tell me how old he really is; it'll only make things look worse).

My opinion of such childishly ham-fisted gameplay and art directing can't be described in words; I'd have to put together a photoshop tomorrow to express it. How many levels are planned to take place while it's snowing? Is there a gun that launches puppies? Do the children wear shirts with 'innocence' or 'humanity' written on them? Jeepers...

In the meantime, as for Melchior and the whallop-over-your-head metaphors he's been sentenced to design, there's a difference between looking like 'a cumbersome and burtally rugged firearm' and 'is that a tennis shore with a stapler attached?' One invokes its intended style and is instantly recognisable as being at least physically capable of even being held *like* a gun, the other does neither. Googlesearch images of guns (and maybe a few hands too) and go from there.
By His Word...
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Melchior wrote: I suspect there is a misunderstandement going on: it is the playing character, not the user, that has things grafted to his brain. :oops:
too bad. haptic interfaces that offer more than a little rumble pack are on the rise.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Utsanomiko wrote:Fire that mod's 'designer' and hire someone over the age of 14 (and no, don't tell me how old he really is; it'll only make things look worse).
The mod sounds like "PARANOIA" the RPG put into reality. It's supposed to
be as horribly inefficient as possible.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

MKSheppard wrote: The mod sounds like "PARANOIA" the RPG put into reality. It's supposed to
be as horribly inefficient as possible.
Exactly.
In fact, Paranoia has been one of the main sources of inspiration.
Another feature of the gameplay is the possibily to be terminated at any given moment, even if there is no evident need to.
Oh, and there is an "insanity" value, hidden from the player, that increased as the character sees more blood, is hurted, sees other allied soldiers terminated for no reason etc.
When the value is high enough, the player loses control of the character, who can:
-Shot himself
-Collapse to the ground (and be terminated)
-Start firing at random things
-And a lot more "exciting" things
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Melchior wrote: Exactly.
In fact, Paranoia has been one of the main sources of inspiration.
Another feature of the gameplay is the possibily to be terminated at any given moment, even if there is no evident need to.
Oh, and there is an "insanity" value, hidden from the player, that increased as the character sees more blood, is hurted, sees other allied soldiers terminated for no reason etc.
When the value is high enough, the player loses control of the character, who can:
-Shot himself
-Collapse to the ground (and be terminated)
-Start firing at random things
-And a lot more "exciting" things
the insanity value is cool. but dying at random moments is purely annoying.

same with the result of the insanity value. not being able to control your character is annoying. i´d make the insanity value trigger something else. like distortion of geometry that makes it harder to maneuver, or something. if you go insane, collapse and can´t do anything until you get shot by some enemy you´d just as well just die right away. waiting sucks.