Clumsy weapon

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

salm wrote: the insanity value is cool. but dying at random moments is purely annoying.

same with the result of the insanity value. not being able to control your character is annoying. i´d make the insanity value trigger something else. like distortion of geometry that makes it harder to maneuver, or something. if you go insane, collapse and can´t do anything until you get shot by some enemy you´d just as well just die right away. waiting sucks.
It's true: it's annoying.
But the game should not be fun. It should be dramatic, and, while I agree that there may be better systems, I haven't found them yet.
Visual distortion, blurring and shaking are already in: they come along with stress, fatigue and injuries.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

salm wrote:
Melchior wrote: Exactly.
In fact, Paranoia has been one of the main sources of inspiration.
Another feature of the gameplay is the possibily to be terminated at any given moment, even if there is no evident need to.
Oh, and there is an "insanity" value, hidden from the player, that increased as the character sees more blood, is hurted, sees other allied soldiers terminated for no reason etc.
When the value is high enough, the player loses control of the character, who can:
-Shot himself
-Collapse to the ground (and be terminated)
-Start firing at random things
-And a lot more "exciting" things
the insanity value is cool. but dying at random moments is purely annoying.

same with the result of the insanity value. not being able to control your character is annoying. i´d make the insanity value trigger something else. like distortion of geometry that makes it harder to maneuver, or something. if you go insane, collapse and can´t do anything until you get shot by some enemy you´d just as well just die right away. waiting sucks.
I agree. Make the insanity value do stuff like cause the player to see stuff that isn't there, and see stuff that is there differently(friendly looks like an enemy).
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Beowulf wrote: I agree. Make the insanity value do stuff like cause the player to see stuff that isn't there, and see stuff that is there differently(friendly looks like an enemy).
It seems like a good idea, but i don't know how much the first thing is feasible.
Random deaths actually happen almost only to people near you, not to you, but the player (and the character) doesn't need to know that.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Melchior wrote:But the game should not be fun.
But the game should not be fun.
. . .
i am lost fr waords.
By His Word...
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Utsanomiko wrote:
Melchior wrote:But the game should not be fun.
But the game should not be fun.
. . .
i am lost fr waords.
Actually "game" is not the best word, because a game is meant to be fun.
A better term would be "interactive exeperience" but it sounds very bad.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Melchior wrote:
Beowulf wrote: I agree. Make the insanity value do stuff like cause the player to see stuff that isn't there, and see stuff that is there differently(friendly looks like an enemy).
It seems like a good idea, but i don't know how much the first thing is feasible.
Random deaths actually happen almost only to people near you, not to you, but the player (and the character) doesn't need to know that.
You spawn unkillable monsters that can't hurt the player, and can be walked through. Shouldn't be too difficult.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Melchior wrote: Actually "game" is not the best word, because a game is meant to be fun.
Well, that's good. Because whoever is in charge of designing this 'interactive experience' isn't remotely qualified to design a game, and probably shouldn't be alllowed to even beta test or review them.
By His Word...
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Melchior wrote: Actually "game" is not the best word, because a game is meant to be fun.
what´s the purpose of this interactive experience?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I like your fire effect.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

salm wrote: what´s the purpose of this interactive experience?
Let people experience, as much as it is now possibile with a computer, a really bad dystopia.
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I like your fire effect.
Thanks.
It is done by replicating lots of tongues of flame made with bezier curves, giving them a gradient (actually three different gradients), and then shaping them by selecting all the points in an area and moving them.
After that I manually adjusted some zones that looked bad and added the little flames at the sided of the emitters.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

I'm sorry, but there's a difference between 'Dystopia' and 'Thing I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.' HL2, Marathon or Deus Ex are dystopias; This sounds like a blood pressure increasing device.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Pcm979 wrote:I'm sorry, but there's a difference between 'Dystopia' and 'Thing I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.' HL2, Marathon or Deus Ex are dystopias; This sounds like a blood pressure increasing device.
Think of 1984.
It's quite similar.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

I get the concept, but no offense, the execution needs a little work. 'Interactive' and 'Die randomly, can't see or aim' don't really gel.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Pcm979 wrote:I get the concept, but no offense, the execution needs a little work. 'Interactive' and 'Die randomly, can't see or aim' don't really gel.
It's not that bad, because the worst always happen to other characters, and because the opposing team is also in that condition.
It is still in very early developement (almost no modelling has been done so far), and needs a lot of balancing and adjustments.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Well, it's your game. If I may ask, what's the point of playing it? What message is transmitted, apart from 'wow, things really aren't nice and fluffy'? :P

As I said, if you need any more bad weapon designs I'd be happy to help.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Pcm979 wrote:Well, it's your game. If I may ask, what's the point of playing it? What message is transmitted, apart from 'wow, things really aren't nice and fluffy'? :P

Prove that computer programs have the possibility to trascend from being fun , while being able to deliver a message without cutscenes (that are basically movies), with the gameplay.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Said message being?

I have an idea for a really cumbersome shotgun if you're in the market... [/design-whoring]
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Pcm979 wrote:Said message being?

I have an idea for a really cumbersome shotgun if you're in the market... [/design-whoring]
In this case "being an useless pawn in a useless war isn't fun".
The designs should be only bad, not purposeful so.
If the shotgun meets this requirement' I would be happy to hear about it.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Melchior wrote:
Pcm979 wrote:Said message being?

In this case "being an useless pawn in a useless war isn't fun".
The designs should be only bad, not purposeful so.
If the shotgun meets this requirement' I would be happy to hear about it.
Make it an automatic, but straight blowback... :twisted:
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Melchior wrote:
Pcm979 wrote:Well, it's your game. If I may ask, what's the point of playing it? What message is transmitted, apart from 'wow, things really aren't nice and fluffy'? :P

Prove that computer programs have the possibility to trascend from being fun , while being able to deliver a message without cutscenes (that are basically movies), with the gameplay.
That can be done (and I'm certain it already has), but i'm afraid to say that you are in no way doing it with this poorly thought-out separation between delivering entertainment and presenting themes. A good designer would know how to do both, and probably in a much less heavy-handed manner than has been described.
By His Word...
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I'm sorry, do you expect people to pay for this?

Because, quite frankly, I'd rather buy The Matrix Online.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:I'm sorry, do you expect people to pay for this?

Absolutely not.
It is only a mod.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Melchior wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:I'm sorry, do you expect people to pay for this?

Absolutely not.
It is only a mod.
Time is money. :P

But honestly, I'm dissapointed I've spent the time to read this. There are plenty of things you could do with your talents and limitations, and this mod as it's designed is not it.
By His Word...
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Melchior, stop and think for a second: Who is going to choose to play something that isn't fun?

If you have even two braincells to rub together, you could figure out that purposely designing something that is not enjoyable to play is not going to win you any fans.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Melchior, stop and think for a second: Who is going to choose to play something that isn't fun?

If you have even two braincells to rub together, you could figure out that purposely designing something that is not enjoyable to play is not going to win you any fans.
Have you ever liked a movie that was disturbing and unpleasant?
I have.
Maybe this is not a good way to do the same with a game, but that is the idea.