Script Writing Questions

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Script Writing Questions

Post by Stravo »

Anyone have any experience with script writing or sold a script? An acquiantance of mine at the office revealed to me that he's been selling a few scripts here and there for TV shows and such and it spurred me this weekend to do some research on that as I've also been hunting for sci fi magazines to send in short stories because frankly I have to get off my lazy ass and start trying to get published.

Anyway during my research I stumble across a few sites dedicated to the beginning scriptwriter and they all recommend these script writing programs that automtically format what you write into a script style and help you orgnaize and get your stuff looking professional. I've downloaded some demos but all the programs run for about $229. I'm wondering if its a scam but it seems that everyone on script writing sites use these things. I was wondering if anyone had experience with that.

Also I've been looking for a site that lists TV shows that may consider unsolicited scripts to have an idea of the market out there. I'm a writer not a screen writer but I've always wanted to give it a try.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

Script formatting really isn't all that hard to do in word (or is it works now). It's a matter of having the patience to do so. I don't have a lot of exp with it, other than for a class, but you shouldn't have that much trouble Good Luck(though amna sure you need it).
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The BBC has MSWord templates for free here. Praise the british TV license payers!
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Rye wrote:The BBC has MSWord templates for free here. Praise the british TV license payers!
Rye, Thanks so much. That's awesome!
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

It's essential if you're going to write scripts to get your formatting perfectly. As intense as the competition is in publishing, it's 100 times worse in Hollywood. Never give a producer or agent an excuse to throw out your script without reading it.

And good luck cracking that market if you try. Breaking into film is a cast iron motherfucker unless you have an uncle named Murdoch.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Stravo wrote:
Rye wrote:The BBC has MSWord templates for free here. Praise the british TV license payers!
Rye, Thanks so much. That's awesome!
No problem, Keevan showed it me, got to spread the love around. :D
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Rye wrote: No problem, Keevan showed it me, got to spread the love around. :D
I in turn pass the credit for showing it to me on to the wonderful folk at Reid Kerr College, who mentioned it as part of my script writing course last year. :D
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire