Security bot

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Melchior
Jedi Master

Security bot

Post by Melchior »

I would like to receive a bit of costructive criticism about this security bot i designed.
(yes, before someone says it, I know that walking robots are impratical)
here
Last edited by Melchior on 2005-01-27 06:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

It contains errors, so it will not be displayed.

I will assume the error is that it is walking. Fix that now! :lol:
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Fixed.
paladin
Jedi Master

Re: Security bot

Post by paladin »

Melchior wrote:I would like to receive a bit of costructive criticism about this security bot i designed.
here
Pretty nice. What kind of weapons does it carry?
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Melchior
Jedi Master

Re: Security bot

Post by Melchior »

paladin wrote:
Melchior wrote:I would like to receive a bit of costructive criticism about this security bot i designed.
here
Pretty nice. What kind of weapons does it carry?
A big gatling gun and a guided missile launcher.
With nuclear warheads (no, not really).
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I would give it 4 legs instead of 2, so it looks like a walking table, or give it tracked or wheeled mobility. If it's lugging around and intending to fire that huge fucking gattling gun, then it needs to have a very stable base to keep it from knocking itself over.
I also notice that it cannot open doors as it has no actual arms. Indeed having this thing keeping your building/factory secure would certainly lead to heavy repair costs if it saw an intruder next to some heavy machinary or attempting to hack into a server or something. You'd be left without that machinary, server and a big hole in the wall. I would give it a low wattage stun maser, like the one that's just been developed and perhaps some sonic stun weapon instead of a gattling gun. Or rename it destruction droid.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:I would give it 4 legs instead of 2, so it looks like a walking table, or give it tracked or wheeled mobility. If it's lugging around and intending to fire that huge fucking gattling gun, then it needs to have a very stable base to keep it from knocking itself over.
I also notice that it cannot open doors as it has no actual arms. Indeed having this thing keeping your building/factory secure would certainly lead to heavy repair costs if it saw an intruder next to some heavy machinary or attempting to hack into a server or something. You'd be left without that machinary, server and a big hole in the wall. I would give it a low wattage stun maser, like the one that's just been developed and perhaps some sonic stun weapon instead of a gattling gun. Or rename it destruction droid.
It is meant to patrol outside of perimeter walls.
I think I will give it a third leg, or maybe two more legs.
Giving it wheels, while logical, kinda defeats the point of having a walking security bot.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

This thing couldn't hold a decent amount of ammunition for a single barrel machine gun, though as it is I see no place for ammunition at all. Anyway, with a gatling gun its just asking to run out of ammunition in a small fraction of a seconds worth of firing. There is a reason why no one builds gatling guns for ground fighting, they simply aren't necessary and make no sense. It's only against fast moving aircraft or missile targets that you actually need a multi thousand round per minute rate of fire in ordered to engage. And even then, you'd generally be better off with a larger caliber single barrel weapon.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Looks pretty goo. I'd add a couple legs and a big chamber for all those mini-gun rounds it would waste. I like the simple colour scheme. And the head.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Sea Skimmer wrote:This thing couldn't hold a decent amount of ammunition for a single barrel machine gun, though as it is I see no place for ammunition at all.
And I will change the gun, too.
Dead_Ghost
Padawan Learner

Post by Dead_Ghost »

If the gun's on the left arm is a laser-guided missile launcher then you had me fooled. When I first saw it, I thought that it was a flamethrower, which would make some sense, too.
Overall, it is a nice design, but perhaps it would need a complete workout on the guns. I mean, as it has been stated by others, the gattling gun and the missile launcher would make far too much recoil for the bot to hold. Perhaps, if I may say so, a .50 caliber MG in the right arm and the missile launcher being the entire left arm, instead of just the forearm. Just one last thing, his neck seems just a tad bit too much attention-captivating, no? :wink: I mean, if I had to take him out, I would consider getting my hands on a sniper rifle and zero in on the neck...
Mark S wrote:Maybe they're allowed to have all the casual sex they want. It's not sex that's forbidden, it's attachment.

"Go forth and fuck her brains out, my young Padawan. Just remember, no cuddling and pillow talk afterwards."
- Concerning the topic "Jedi training and sexuality"
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

New and improved:
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Ooh, very cool-looking. I like the smoke coming off the BFG.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:Ooh, very cool-looking. I like the smoke coming off the BFG.
Thanks.
Now the problem is that I don't know where I should put the fuel tanks for the flamethrower.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

On the back.

The head reminds me of VOTOMS.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

New version with fuel tanks on the back (not visible) and a reworking of the neck armor.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

I can just see this thing roaming around with Droidekas and Cylon Centurions, hunting for human scum. It just looks very nice and big bad robotish.
Dead_Ghost
Padawan Learner

Post by Dead_Ghost »

I have a question about the arms. Do they rotate by 180º or more? It's just that it seems as if they can point backwards and sidewards without the bot having to turn himself to the target...
Mark S wrote:Maybe they're allowed to have all the casual sex they want. It's not sex that's forbidden, it's attachment.

"Go forth and fuck her brains out, my young Padawan. Just remember, no cuddling and pillow talk afterwards."
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Dead_Ghost wrote:I have a question about the arms. Do they rotate by 180º or more? It's just that it seems as if they can point backwards and sidewards without the bot having to turn himself to the target...
Yes, they do.
But the bot can't see behind his head without turning it.
Dead_Ghost
Padawan Learner

Post by Dead_Ghost »

Melchior wrote:
Dead_Ghost wrote:I have a question about the arms. Do they rotate by 180º or more? It's just that it seems as if they can point backwards and sidewards without the bot having to turn himself to the target...
Yes, they do.
When you say turning it, I assume you're talking about the head, right? :wink: :)
Well, in that case, perhaps a wheeled-version is indeed out of the question, in regards of the mobility... While 3-4 legs could be a good idea, I'm not sure anymore whether it's a necessity. Though giving him the abilitie to turn his head and torso (by the waist) at 360º would be pretty nifty 8) . That would turn him into a rotating tank.*Imagines the bot giving a flaming circle around him, burning everything into a crisp* :twisted:

Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Dead_Ghost wrote:
Melchior wrote:
Yes, they do.
When you say turning it, I assume you're talking about the head, right? :wink: :)
Well, in that case, perhaps a wheeled-version is indeed out of the question, in regards of the mobility... While 3-4 legs could be a good idea, I'm not sure anymore whether it's a necessity. Though giving him the abilitie to turn his head and torso (by the waist) at 360º would be pretty nifty 8) . That would turn him into a rotating tank.*Imagines the bot giving a flaming circle around him, burning everything into a crisp* :twisted:
Even if it can't turn the torso 360° (only the head), it is already capable of using the flamethrower in every direction, combining the movement of the torso and of the arm.