Accusation of Plagarism on another Board

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Accusation of Plagarism on another Board

Post by frigidmagi »

Ladies and Gentleman I was alerted by Shep that member of this board is in the process of trying to claim credit for his and Norseman's Drakafic. He is doing it here. Since Zor did not even have the grace to file off the serial numbers, I call for banning.

Title edited to better reflect the subject~ Stravo
Last edited by frigidmagi on 2005-01-31 04:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Zor, you better show up here and explain this shit, I am not amused.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Shall we bother with the show trial, or just hang him from the yardarm?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

No much like Lord Jax before...he gets to tell us his reason. This isn't purely Napolenic, but the evidence is not in his favor by any extent of the imagination.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Looks like ye beat me to the punch, RAR
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Give the man a trial; But let the judge not be amused.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

What's he done, specifically? Has he just stolen the concept, or is he trying to pass off other people's writing as his own?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

RedImperator wrote:What's he done, specifically? Has he just stolen the concept, or is he trying to pass off other people's writing as his own?
I believe he's taken either Duchess or someone alternate Draka time line and said it was his own personally.

He says this in the first post yet, in none of them giving credit to the originator.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Ghost Rider wrote:
RedImperator wrote:What's he done, specifically? Has he just stolen the concept, or is he trying to pass off other people's writing as his own?
I believe he's taken either Duchess or someone alternate Draka time line and said it was his own personally.

He says this in the first post yet, in none of them giving credit to the originator.
If that's the case, then out the door he goes.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

It appears he took Stirling's original TL, filed off a few parts and made
his own changes, then put "DrakaFic" onto it; and put forth the same
concept:
More Drakafics will be posted. After the first one is posted, you can make supportive stories, so long as they...

A-Respect the Timeline
B-Remain in Conjuction with my things
I wonder if I could hipothetically (RAR!) make a SWvsST fanfic named "Starcrossed" (RAR!) without even asking Stravo if it was Okay (RAR!)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

It appears that what he has stolen is the name, because the timelines are completely different (in writing style and notation of events, as well as the events themselves.)

Not to jump in front of a hearty lynch mob here, but he may have simply taken the name Drakafic to be a generic term.

This is Zor, after all.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

MKSheppard wrote:It appears he took Stirling's original TL, filed off a few parts and made
his own changes, then put "DrakaFic" onto it; and put forth the same
concept:
<snip>
I wonder if I could hipothetically (RAR!) make a SWvsST fanfic named "Starcrossed" (RAR!) without even asking Stravo if it was Okay (RAR!)
Technicaly he would be able to, since titles don't hold a copyright, although this isn't the case here as he (appears to be) is taking an entire concept. :wink:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Like I said...I really want to hear what he has to say. Because we have banned because of plagarism but have given the person an attempt to be a man and apologize and take down the offense.

He failed...but doesn't mean we shouldn't allow Zor the chance.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Petrosjko wrote:It appears that what he has stolen is the name, because the timelines are completely different (in writing style and notation of events, as well as the events themselves.)

Not to jump in front of a hearty lynch mob here, but he may have simply taken the name Drakafic to be a generic term.

This is Zor, after all.
If that's the case, then he shouldn't be banned. There's no law against copying the general idea of a fic, and Zor IS stupid enough to steal a title without realizing it.
X-Ray Blues
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Ghost Rider wrote:Like I said...I really want to hear what he has to say. Because we have banned because of plagarism but have given the person an attempt to be a man and apologize and take down the offense.
I wouldn't mind seeing other Draka timelines, but:

1.) Please, come up with an alternate name.

2.) At least let us know, I mean jesus christ, the first thing I knew of this
was when I was googling "Domination of Draka Timeline" for the official
timeline by Stirling to show Soren on Divine Salamis to hurt his brain, and
I see "DrakaFic" in the results. I check the web address, and it's not going
to either SDN or Divine Salamis, but to a board I've never heard of.

Going there, I see it's none other than ZOR (RAR!) trying to act original
and stealing our concept, without even the courtesy of a reacharound.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

If thee art gracious, ban him, now.

You do not touch my writing unless you desire to suffer heavily for it.

Zor, however, is a stupid blundering idiot, and so instead of desiring to make his life a miserable living hell on this board, I desire instead to simply see him immediately and irrevocably banished from this place, and preferable his street address posted at numerous message boards around the web where fanfiction authors reside.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

MKSheppard wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:Like I said...I really want to hear what he has to say. Because we have banned because of plagarism but have given the person an attempt to be a man and apologize and take down the offense.
I wouldn't mind seeing other Draka timelines, but:

1.) Please, come up with an alternate name.

2.) At least let us know, I mean jesus christ, the first thing I knew of this
was when I was googling "Domination of Draka Timeline" for the official
timeline by Stirling to show Soren on Divine Salamis to hurt his brain, and
I see "DrakaFic" in the results. I check the web address, and it's not going
to either SDN or Divine Salamis, but to a board I've never heard of.

Going there, I see it's none other than ZOR (RAR!) trying to act original
and stealing our concept, without even the courtesy of a reacharound.
Like I said; titles don't hold a copyright, so if his timeline is significantly different, then at best he's being rude. I don't think we can do anything about that, other than giving him the cold shoulder.

No if the timelines aren't significantly different, now that's a different matter all together.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Crown wrote:

Like I said; titles don't hold a copyright, so if his timeline is significantly different, then at best he's being rude. I don't think we can do anything about that, other than giving him the cold shoulder.

No if the timelines aren't significantly different, now that's a different matter all together.
The timeline is not only identical, Crown, but under copyright law it might even be considered an original work, so we could potentially sue Zor for copying it. You see, we changed the formal name of the Domination of Draka to the Dominate of Drakia, which is a sufficient enough chance from our only use of a copyrighted concept that we could argue that the entire thing was original (Metallica got away with it by changing the C in Cthulhu to a K, after all, for their song Call of Kthulhu). So not only is this a shameless ripoff, but it may be a serious legal offence.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: The timeline is not only identical, Crown, but under copyright law it might even be considered an original work, so we could potentially sue Zor for copying it. You see, we changed the formal name of the Domination of Draka to the Dominate of Drakia, which is a sufficient enough chance from our only use of a copyrighted concept that we could argue that the entire thing was original (Metallica got away with it by changing the C in Cthulhu to a K, after all, for their song Call of Kthulhu). So not only is this a shameless ripoff, but it may be a serious legal offence.
Alright, I take this back, I just read through the timeline more clearly, so nevermind that Crown and apologies.

Anyway, though, I am VERY worried that this is going to result in his stealing stories, which, again, may not even legally be fanfiction but rather original works.

Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote: The timeline is not only identical, Crown, but under copyright law it might even be considered an original work, so we could potentially sue Zor for copying it. You see, we changed the formal name of the Domination of Draka to the Dominate of Drakia, which is a sufficient enough chance from our only use of a copyrighted concept that we could argue that the entire thing was original (Metallica got away with it by changing the C in Cthulhu to a K, after all, for their song Call of Kthulhu). So not only is this a shameless ripoff, but it may be a serious legal offence.
Alright, I take this back, I just read through the timeline more clearly, so nevermind that Crown and apologies.
No need to apologis luv, we posted at the same time.
Anyway, though, I am VERY worried that this is going to result in his stealing stories, which, again, may not even legally be fanfiction but rather original works.
I am too! It seems that while the 'legal' breach of copyright hasn't occured I think it is a case of arguing the letter of the law to defeat its purpose. I think you do have a legitimate case for concern, one which might not stand up in court, but is more than enough for the Powers that Be at SD.net. I would back whatever action you felt best. :wink:
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Crown wrote:

The timeline is not only identical, Crown, but under copyright law it might even be considered an original work, so we could potentially sue Zor for copying it. You see, we changed the formal name of the Domination of Draka to the Dominate of Drakia, which is a sufficient enough chance from our only use of a copyrighted concept that we could argue that the entire thing was original (Metallica got away with it by changing the C in Cthulhu to a K, after all, for their song Call of Kthulhu). So not only is this a shameless ripoff, but it may be a serious legal offence.
Actually, unless you've registered the timeline with the Copyright Office, you can only seek a cease and desist order for a copyright violation, not damages.

But that's neither here nor there. So far you're claiming the timeline is identical to yours, while Petrosjko and Shep say it's a modification of Stirling's timeline with your title slapped on it. Would anyone care to post a link to both timelines so they could be compared side by side? From what I saw of Zor's, it didn't look like a copy and paste job, considering the number of Zorisms in the text. Doesn't mean he didn't copy yours in his own words, but it's not TOTALLY identical, and I haven't seen yours.

EDIT: Strike the second half of this post. My apologies for not hitting preview before posting.
X-Ray Blues
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

RedImperator wrote:Actually, unless you've registered the timeline with the Copyright Office, you can only seek a cease and desist order for a copyright violation, not damages.

But that's neither here nor there. So far you're claiming the timeline is identical to yours, while Petrosjko and Shep say it's a modification of Stirling's timeline with your title slapped on it. Would anyone care to post a link to both timelines so they could be compared side by side? From what I saw of Zor's, it didn't look like a copy and paste job, considering the number of Zorisms in the text. Doesn't mean he didn't copy yours in his own words, but it's not TOTALLY identical, and I haven't seen yours.

EDIT: Strike the second half of this post.
Marina has retracted buddy, but I don't care about the actual law, there has to be some kind of 'unwritten ethic' amongst the fanfic community that should discourage this kind of behaivour, even if it is just the cold shoulder (how this applies in SD.net's case I'll let y'all in the mod team decide), regardless what the law states.

I still want to hear his side of it, if he makes a good show of apologising to the offended parties, and posts evidence that he won't rip them off, I'm willing to let this slide if the offended parties are sated with his promises.

Either way, his actions are bad form.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Ahh, looks like we're all posting off the cuff right now, no worries.

Anyway, yes, let's hear what Mr. Hipotheitcla Senaroe has to say for himself.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Crown wrote:
RedImperator wrote:Actually, unless you've registered the timeline with the Copyright Office, you can only seek a cease and desist order for a copyright violation, not damages.

EDIT: Strike the second half of this post.
Marina has retracted buddy, but I don't care about the actual law, there has to be some kind of 'unwritten ethic' amongst the fanfic community that should discourage this kind of behaivour, even if it is just the cold shoulder (how this applies in SD.net's case I'll let y'all in the mod team decide), regardless what the law states.

I still want to hear his side of it, if he makes a good show of apologising to the offended parties, and posts evidence that he won't rip them off, I'm willing to let this slide if the offended parties are sated with his promises.

Either way, his actions are bad form.
Oh, I agree. Common courtesy, at the very least, would seem to dictate that he speak with the authors of the Drakafic on this board, and acknowledge them in his post.

I'm not sure if outright banning is in order, but unless he has a REALLY good explanation (other than congenital retardation), some sort of sanction is in order.
X-Ray Blues
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

You, Duchess and I all agreeing on the same issue just gives me a *warm* feeling inside! :D

Group Hug!

Yes I am slightly drunk, slipping into tipsy, but I demand to be taken seriously! :lol: :wink: