Painting feedback

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Painting feedback

Post by Tasoth »

With my painting teacher from last semester inviting me back to use the studio when there is no class, I've decided I need to paint. Something fantastic at that. So I've decided a nice ol' Angel rising above the hordes of hellesque composition. Problem is, I've come up with four rather interesting angels to use and can't decide. I want your feed back.

The four in question. Just a torso drawing of each. I meant to color them, but I'm feeling rather lazy. From top left to right are: Angel of Mercy, planning silver and green for that. Angel of Retribution. Sanguinus inspired and possibly a gold/bronze color scheme. Angel of Death. Silver and dark blues and purple. Serpahic Lord. Again, golds and whites.

Angel of Retribution.More complicated sketch. Wanted to work on the design of him. Yet to draw the wings in because wings are complicated. Cookies to whoever can read the scrawled notes.

Seraphic Lord. Going for big and imposing. The high muckities in the Dionysian Hierarchy of Angels. Six wings for this beast.

The Angel of Death is still a WIP and the Angel of Mercy is in my Chem 2 textbook.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Lucifer
Idiotic Conspiracy Nut

Post by Lucifer »

For painting, I think the second one is good. I don't know about the first one because it seems more like a plan for something you're considering to draw and paint later. The last one might also be good, but I do like the form of the second one.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

yeah, the first is just a plan for designs to differentiate between the four.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Lucifer
Idiotic Conspiracy Nut

Post by Lucifer »

In a painting, I think it's better to have one focus instead of four, unless you can strategetically place them in such a way that's harmonious, instead of merely sticking them here and there.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

I don't know how skilled you are at painting, but I'm going to give you a few things I keep in mind when I do one.

First off, I did a few paintings on 3'x4' canvases. Unless your painting on that scale and using a very fine brush avoid the designs with real intricate details. One of the things for me was wrestling the fine points, while keeping my motion up. It could just be me, but when I paint I like things to flow more. I keep my tech to the drawings.

Second make sure you have references. This goes for any art what so ever bar none. I had one painting with a sword, so I borrowed one from a friend and brought it to an art class once. For earth I had, you guessed it pics of earth.

If your wanting a single focus, I stick things in the center. I don't care what any books or handouts ever said, when I wanted that one thing, it was in the center. If you want more, you might want to triangulate. I used a large triangle in the middle, and then off shoot from that. Either that or a swirl like patern.

As for the figures, I can't really say. I'd have to see some larger shots. It's a little to small for me. Like I said though, I'd eliminate the ones with too much detail. Rely on values and blending and you'll make a figure pop the fuck out.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

The Seraphic Lord looks good, but as always, no offense intended to you in any form (since it looks quite good, indeed) I always recommend sketching it from several perpectives with posing aid from an anatomy book. It can help you improve greatly with your sense of three dimensions. :D
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

I'd like to see the composition with the full torsos and wings. If you're going for a certain composition, that's cool, but otherwise you might want to try "unbalancing" your angels' position or posture. A really good book I would recommend for that kind of advice would be "Drawing the Marvel Way." Yeah, it's cheesy, but it taught me a lot.

Also, is the second angel based loosely on a space marine?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Thats because it is.

Mr.Angel of Death.

Mecha Maniac