What makes a good rapper?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

2000AD
Emperor's Hand

What makes a good rapper?

Post by 2000AD »

Thread in SLAM about the tsunami rap got me thinking, what makes a person a good rap artist?

A rapper doesn't seem to need good singing voice, doesn't need to be able to play an instrument and if they're like a lot of singers don't need to write their own songs.

So what are the requirements for being called a good rapper?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Getting shot. The more times, the better.

Sadly, I am completely serious here. I once read an article praising some rapper over 50 cent because he was shot 7, not 5 times.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Be a jackass 'hood-type sellout. That's how it worked for all of them.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'd say a good, catchy hook, and something other than that wanna-be thug voice that just about every rapper has nowadays.

For commercial success, it's a whole different story. There, it's a matter of how many boobs, expleitives, and blurred-out clothing logos are in the videos. That stuff sells like hotcakes in the 2-5 democraphic.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

If you can make up creative rhymes and say them to a repetitive bass or instrumental tune playing in the background i'd say that qualifies you as a rapper. As far as I can tell, how good of a rapper you are is primarily based off how well you can rhyme words, especially if you can do them smoothly and on the fly without ever getting stuck trying to think.

(Of course it would probably help if you dress yourself up as a "gangsta" or "In da hood" type as well since that what the image of most rappers seems to be)
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Belongs in AMP.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Nothing. Ever. Rap sucks.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Rap these days seems to intail either having a bass beat more repetative than an Aphex Twin song blasting away while a guest performer sings the majority of the lyrics, or a "remix" of the song which is little more than a re-arranged version of the original song, lyrics intact, with a drum machine playing in the background while the "rappers" go "uh-huh", "yeah", and repeat the chorus.

Therefore, I define all good "rappers" as actually being hip-hop artists.

Oh, and... Linkin Park are rappers. They actually write their own music... but I'd prefer it if they just followed the above formula. JESUS, LEARN TO PLAY SOME INSTURMENTS! WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR SKILLZ WITH FROOTY LOOPS!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

1. Good sense of rhythm and good rhythmic vocabulary.
2. Good flow/groove. If they can't groove, #1 means nothing.
3. Good command of language (I'd count slang as part of this.)
4. Able to blend with other instruments/loops/turntables.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Rogue 9 wrote:Nothing. Ever. Rap sucks.
There is something redeeming in all types of music. All types.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Zaia wrote:
True. This is where we get into the realm of the "Is talking about raping somebody's mother over a drum beat really music?" discussion. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Zaia wrote:
True. This is where we get into the realm of the "Is talking about raping somebody's mother over a drum beat really music?" discussion. :wink:
Yes it is. Next? :D
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

never been any type of fan of rap. though about the only things i've listened to that resemble rap that come close are Linkin Park, and Beastie Boys.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

How dare you put Linkin Park and the Beastie Boys in the same sentence!

Here's something I didn't have the forethought to come up with for my previous post:

Linkin Park puts the "rap" in "crap".
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I'm aware most of the people on this board don't like rap, and everyone's entitled to his opinion. But "RAP SUXORZ LOLOLOL!!!!!1111oneoneone!111!1" posts are spam, and will be treated thusly.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

They have to be called Molotov. :P
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

You have to have style while putting the other MCs in denial, you have to stay prolific and come up with a new gimmick, you can't just xerox someone elses flow and if they beg for more never say no, cos a true lyrical master saves your party from disaster, by breaking out rhymes and eloquent funk and never going out like a lame ass punk.

Word to your mother.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Zaia wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:
Zaia wrote: There is something redeeming in all types of music. All types.
Yes it is. Next? :D
Hey, Z, doesn't music require melody? :P

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

fgalkin wrote:Hey, Z, doesn't music require melody? :P

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
No, actually, it doesn't. There are battery percussion pieces that are just drums, nothing pitched so there is no "melody," so to speak.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Then poetry is also music.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Slartibartfast wrote:Then poetry is also music.
Speaking abstractly, yes, since rhythm is an integral part of it. There is a piece entitled 4'33" by John Cage; it's a piece of framed silence, which is supposed to be no sound (that the theory behind pieces with/of framed silence, anyway). Of course, it ends up not really being four minutes and thirty-three seconds of complete silence because that's not possible. The orchestra just sits there for that long, and the point of the piece is to draw attention to sounds that occur during that time (feet shuffling, people coughing, etc) and the 'rhythms' they create. It's sort of the orchestral equivalent of modern art since it doesn't fit the general consensus on what orchestral music is (ie: no instruments being played at all during it, for starters), but technically it still fits the description of music.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Zaia wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Then poetry is also music.
Speaking abstractly, yes, since rhythm is an integral part of it. There is a piece entitled 4'33" by John Cage; it's a piece of framed silence, which is supposed to be no sound (that the theory behind pieces with/of framed silence, anyway). Of course, it ends up not really being four minutes and thirty-three seconds of complete silence because that's not possible. The orchestra just sits there for that long, and the point of the piece is to draw attention to sounds that occur during that time (feet shuffling, people coughing, etc) and the 'rhythms' they create. It's sort of the orchestral equivalent of modern art since it doesn't fit the general consensus on what orchestral music is (ie: no instruments being played at all during it, for starters), but technically it still fits the description of music.
Hey can you get me a job in the orchestra to play that piece? :P
Last edited by Slartibartfast on 2005-02-03 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obloquium
(is actually revprez!)

Re: What makes a good rapper?

Post by Obloquium »

2000AD wrote:So what are the requirements for being called a good rapper?
Wordplay and flow, things that make you go "damn!"
To the hustlas, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers...Jesus walks....
To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here hell yeah...Jesus walks...
Now hear ye hear ye want to see Thee more clearly
I know he hear me when my feet get weary
Cuz we're the almost nearly extinct
We rappers are role models we rap we don't think
I ain't here to argue about his facial features
Or here to convert atheists into believers
I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way yall need Jesus....
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Slartibartfast wrote:Hey can you get me a job in the orchestra to play that piece? :P
Orchestras don't hire people for one piece at a time. :P