The Big One

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dear god in heaven. 80% of the US survives, and almost no one else.
About 50 percent; population of America in 2045 was about 400 million; about 200 million survivors. The real slaughterhouse was China and India; a combination of dense populations, very poor medical systems and they got hit first before anybody realized what it was they were dealing with. The disease epidemics spread out of control - horribly so. They were also genetically unstable so they kept mutating into either treatment-resistant forms of the original diseases or new ones entirely. So wave after wave of diseases swept out, across areas already devastated by the ones that went before. They spread back into the Caliphate of course and the combination of lack of modern medical facilities, dense populations and low living standards were critical there also. Added in the fact that when the Americans found out The Caliphate was responsible for the catastrophe, they bombed the whole place into oblivion. Destroyed all the population centers and everything that could support the remaining.

This story is actually quite old; it was originally written a couple of years ago but was sitting on a back-burner. I'm rewriting it so it falls into the TBOverse but that's all the changes. It reflects my belief that it is biological warfare, especially the use of genetic engineering in biological warfare, that is the real danger to the future of humanity. If we don't get a grip on that issue, it could easily destroy us all.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Colonel Olrik wrote:I have this feeling that Europe's position in the world has been downgraded from vacation place to vast, empty desert
Not quite, badly battered but still there. Now loosely associated with Russia.
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Grand Moff Tim
Redshirt

Post by Grand Moff Tim »

darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Oh noes!!! the board it's on won't load for me :cry:
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Still down...
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

They're working for me now. Go check now, DD, if you haven't already.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Still won't work for me. It tries to load but the connection keeps timing out.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

There's a problem on your end then. Check your own settings, if that doesn't fix it, there may be a router down somewhere on your path.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Crayz9000 wrote:There's a problem on your end then. Check your own settings, if that doesn't fix it, there may be a router down somewhere on your path.
I can't think of anything I've done. Can someone copy and paste the story into a PM and send it to me?
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Never mind. I found a list of public proxies. I'll just use a http proxy every time there's a new chapter and then go back to a direct connection at all other times. Thanks for the helpfull ness.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SpecWar826
Youngling

Post by SpecWar826 »

Just curious has there been any other updates as of yet on the interstellar highway.
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SpecWar826 wrote:Just curious has there been any other updates as of yet on the interstellar highway.
No; the first part was basically a teaser, so it may be a while before any additional parts are posted.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
SpecWar826
Youngling

Post by SpecWar826 »

ok thnxs
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

I'm looking forward to Patron of the Arts and the end of High Frontier before we get to Interstellar Highway. Hopefully, Ride of the Valkyries will also be done before we get to the future. Better to wrap up the past first.

As far as I can tell, starting more than one story at a time is one of the fastest ways for an author to not finish any story, or at least get things mixed up.
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

technomage wrote:I'm looking forward to Patron of the Arts and the end of High Frontier before we get to Interstellar Highway. Hopefully, Ride of the Valkyries will also be done before we get to the future. Better to wrap up the past first.

As far as I can tell, starting more than one story at a time is one of the fastest ways for an author to not finish any story, or at least get things mixed up.
From what Stuart has said, I believe he plans on finishing Hight Frontier soon enough. "Patron of the Arts" is a short story and he's been doing those in between for a while. And from what I've heard it's going to Ride of the Valkyries after High Frontier. And I'm not sure about when Interstellar Highway is going to be done but it's less a TBO than an adapated science fiction story.

Sorry Stuart if I'm answering more than you want.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Jadeite
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Jadeite »

That drives home the amount of destruction very nicely.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

:shock: holy shit. .
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

shep, can we get a map of borders in 2000?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Well, the Ruhr Valley got well and thoroughly fucked, didn't it?
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

RedImperator wrote:
That's putting it mildly. It got fucked sideways with a rusty telephone pole, with sand instead of lube.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Enforcer Talen wrote:shep, can we get a map of borders in 2000?
Not for a while, I have an idea of what the place looks around then, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

Crayz9000 wrote:
RedImperator wrote:
That's putting it mildly. It got fucked sideways with a rusty telephone pole, with sand instead of lube.

Ow, ow, ow, ow, OWWW!

And I thought the town of Tristram was assraped in Diablo 2.
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

RedImperator wrote:Well, the Ruhr Valley got well and thoroughly fucked, didn't it?
TBO wrote:Much of the country though, especially the Ruhr Valley, was still a wasteland.
The Great Game wrote:However, some areas are still heavily contaminated and must be avoided. The Ruhr Valley is one of these, this area is considered uninhabitable for the foreseeable future.
Crusade wrote:The Ruhr Valley was a blasted and lethal ruin, the Rhine was a polluted mess, the lovely Black Forest, Germany's lungs, was blasted and burned.