accuracy of DITL.org

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

accuracy of DITL.org

Post by Kane Starkiller »

I was searching for a page similar to Stardestroyer.net for the Star Trek universe and found DITL.org. Anyway I was going through some strength calculation articles and found the Genesis device essay. The conclusion of the essay is that Genesis device released the energy of at least 10^48J and probably on the order of 10^50J. I did some calculations and going by 10^48 figure Genesis device could destroy an Earth sized planet over 300 billion kilometers distant. A planet 100LY from the explosion would recieve the energy equivalent of almost 3 billion gigatons! :shock:
Hell even a planet 8000LY from the explosion would still theoretically recieve the energy equivalent of 400 gigatons! I mean almost entire Federation population would be exterminated.
So how accurate are these numbers and the entire website for that matter?
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

While his Genesis Device calcs are complete bullshit, it's pretty accurate for the most part.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: accuracy of DITL.org

Post by Lord Revan »

Kane Starkiller wrote:I was searching for a page similar to Stardestroyer.net for the Star Trek universe and found DITL.org. Anyway I was going through some strength calculation articles and found the Genesis device essay. The conclusion of the essay is that Genesis device released the energy of at least 10^48J and probably on the order of 10^50J. I did some calculations and going by 10^48 figure Genesis device could destroy an Earth sized planet over 300 billion kilometers distant. A planet 100LY from the explosion would recieve the energy equivalent of almost 3 billion gigatons! :shock:
Hell even a planet 8000LY from the explosion would still theoretically recieve the energy equivalent of 400 gigatons! I mean almost entire Federation population would be exterminated.
So how accurate are these numbers and the entire website for that matter?
for stuff doesn't include strength calculations and is in green or yellow is quite accurate, but all of his numbers are really wanked. The stuff that doesn't suffer from his pro trek Vs. bias is OK.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Lord Revan wrote:for stuff doesn't include strength calculations and is in green or yellow is quite accurate, but all of his numbers are really wanked. The stuff that doesn't suffer from his pro trek Vs. bias is OK.
While the genesis data is :oops: idont see the error in his other claculations. Can you give some ex.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Gustav32Vasa wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:for stuff doesn't include strength calculations and is in green or yellow is quite accurate, but all of his numbers are really wanked. The stuff that doesn't suffer from his pro trek Vs. bias is OK.
While the genesis data is :oops: idont see the error in his other claculations. Can you give some ex.
DITL.org wrote:6 x Type VI phasers, total output 4,000 TeraWatts
this is the weapon power of the Connie (look at part I bolded).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

It's also in white, meaning speculation. It's his site, he can pull any number he wants out of his ass as long as he doesn't claim it's canon or supported by canon.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Kennedy is an excellent compiler of raw data on Trek. His analysis is somewhat more suspect, but he clearly deliniates what he draws directly from the screen and what he's extrapolated (and what he's made up altogether).
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Gustav32Vasa

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Lord Revan wrote:
Gustav32Vasa wrote:
DITL.org wrote:6 x Type VI phasers, total output 4,000 TeraWatts
Its true that he hasnt made any canon calculations on the Connie, however he has made calcs on the Galaxy class and the Connie must be weaker then the Galaxy. How much is open to discussion.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Generaly the values for Trek firepower and shielding that DITL speculates are quite good for a high end trek firepower limit. Nothing too uber. I just wish he kept these figures for trek and uses similar analyses to come up with the low gigaton firepower for Imperials (the ESB calcs) when writting Portal.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

these are numbers for the GCS
standard wrote:12 x Type X phaser arrays, total output 50,000 TeraWatts
upgraded wrote:14 x Type X phaser arrays, total output 70,000 TeraWatts
while these are not as bad as some rabid trekkie calculations. These numbers are enginered so that it would seem that sovereign-class take on a SSD and win (and of course he belives that Wars weapons can't penetrate trek shields, since they have the word laser in their names.)
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Just found another Star Wars vs Star Trek site: ST-v-SW.Net
The superlaser effect theory? I started reading but I couldn't make heads or tales out of it. Does anybody here know about this theory? Is it accepted?
Gustav32Vasa

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Lord Revan wrote:these are numbers for the GCS
standard wrote:12 x Type X phaser arrays, total output 50,000 TeraWatts
upgraded wrote:14 x Type X phaser arrays, total output 70,000 TeraWatts
while these are not as bad as some rabid trekkie calculations. These numbers are enginered so that it would seem that sovereign-class take on a SSD and win (and of course he belives that Wars weapons can't penetrate trek shields, since they have the word laser in their names.)
How did he manipulate the numbers, and where does he say that lasers cant penetrate SW shields? I cant even find any mention of SW ships and tech on the site. I thought it was only about StarTrek.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Gustav32Vasa wrote: and where does he say that lasers cant penetrate SW shields? I cant even find any mention of SW ships and tech on the site. I thought it was only about StarTrek.
In the fanfic "portal"

I belive it's in the "recreation" part of his site
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

FedRebel wrote: In the fanfic "portal"

I belive it's in the "recreation" part of his site
I don't think this should be used to judge whether DITL is honest or not. If its clearly labelled recreation and fanfiction, he can claim that a hand phaser can blow up a planet and I wouldn't blink as long as it was a good story.

Brian
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

brianeyci wrote: I don't think this should be used to judge whether DITL is honest or not. If its clearly labelled recreation and fanfiction, he can claim that a hand phaser can blow up a planet and I wouldn't blink as long as it was a good story.
Have you read it? It is an appalling work solely designed to wank ST>>>>>>>>SW. It has no literary value whatsoever, except as a textbook example of how not to craft a story.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

RedImperator wrote:he clearly deliniates what he draws directly from the screen and what he's extrapolated (and what he's made up altogether).
I haven't really felt the need to look through his site since I noticed that the Outrageous Okona bit is in yellow.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Gustav32Vasa

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

NecronLord wrote:
brianeyci wrote: I don't think this should be used to judge whether DITL is honest or not. If its clearly labelled recreation and fanfiction, he can claim that a hand phaser can blow up a planet and I wouldn't blink as long as it was a good story.
Have you read it? It is an appalling work solely designed to wank ST>>>>>>>>SW. It has no literary value whatsoever, except as a textbook example of how not to craft a story.
I havent read it, didnt even know of it. However bad it is, how does it affect the canon/noncanon of his calcs?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Gustav32Vasa wrote:I havent read it, didnt even know of it. However bad it is, how does it affect the canon/noncanon of his calcs?
Not really. It shows off the vast bias his numbers have, but it doesn't affect them.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Gustav32Vasa

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

NecronLord wrote:
Gustav32Vasa wrote:I havent read it, didnt even know of it. However bad it is, how does it affect the canon/noncanon of his calcs?
Not really. It shows off the vast bias his numbers have, but it doesn't affect them.
Almost everyone is biased: I think his page is welldone and he has made it clear what is canon and what is made up. Wong is biased but that doesnt change his calcs for SW, which is supported by the ICS, or how welldone this website and forum is.

ps, Wong is 8)
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

NecronLord wrote:Have you read it? It is an appalling work solely designed to wank ST>>>>>>>>SW. It has no literary value whatsoever, except as a textbook example of how not to craft a story.
No.

But even if it was a bad story, I would not use fanfiction to judge whether DITL.org is "accurate" or not. His fanfiction, and quality of fanfiction, is a red herring in discussing accuracy which refers to the canoncity of his facts.

Brian
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

brianeyci wrote: No.

But even if it was a bad story, I would not use fanfiction to judge whether DITL.org is "accurate" or not. His fanfiction, and quality of fanfiction, is a red herring in discussing accuracy which refers to the canoncity of his facts.

Brian
Wrong:
Portal Foreword wrote:This story is for enjoyment purposes only - I was trying to write a dramatic and tense bit of fiction, not to depict what I think would actually happen if the USS Enterprise met the Star Wars Empire. In “reality” (strange word to use in this context!), I think that the events here would go MUCH more in Starfleet's favour, but pushing that argument is emphatically NOT what this story is for.
He claims that he has watered down the canon starfleet stuff for this nonsense. Again, try to read it before defending it moron.
Although this story is naturally not canon, I have made every possible effort to keep it strictly in line with the known technology and events of both the Startrek and Star Wars universes. So far as I know, 'Portal' does not contain one single canon violation of either Trek or Wars
There. He claims the technology disparity in Portal is canon. I'll be waiting for your concession.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

This is, incidentally, a fiction with a single phaser beam slicing through an Imperator's shields and picking off all its weapons while the Imperator can't do anything more effective than make rude faces at the Enterprise. This is his idea of the canon technology disparity, remember.
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

:wtf:

I'm never going to visit that site again. Or I might, but only when I'm really lazy and I will view their facts even closer scrutiny.

Of course, conceded. Duh.

Brian
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

It has lots of good pictures. That's what I'll say in its favour.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

He also has a number of interesting articles.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"