Movies that everyone hated but you really liked

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Zaia wrote:Hook is awesome too, by the way. :D

No one secretly loves "Cannibal Women In The Avocado Jungle Of Death" though? :( Pity. It's a classic. :wink:
I've never heard of it, sadly. :( But I am also adamant against avocados.....maybe this movie might change my mind? No, it won't get me to like guacamole, though. Never will ANYTHING get me to like guacamole.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Dirty Harry
Padawan Learner

Post by Dirty Harry »

THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:I woundn't say I really liked, but Wing Commander seems to be hated by many, I enjoyed it.
True. I didn't love it at all, it needed a lot of story and character development. But I really liked David Arnold's Main title theme.
gotta agree with you on that one man.
Other films in this catagory would include Alien 3, Slipstream (Mark Hamill film, its a bit like Mad Max in the sky or something. Watch it if a chance presents itself), and also (don't laugh)...... the resident evil film :oops:
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. - Jack, Fight club
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I loved Idle Hands. Jessica Alba in lingere, and The Offspring had a cameo role. Dexter Holland is a horrible actor, by the way. Plus there was the fat kid from "Salute Your Shorts".
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

RadiO wrote:And I love The Abyss, which got absolutely slated in some quarters.
I like The Abyss, but the Director's Cut WILL blow you away. It's even better than the original version.
JADAFETWA
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

IG-88E wrote:
I like The Abyss, but the Director's Cut WILL blow you away. It's even better than the original version.
I've seen a few years ago, it certainly explains a LOT.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Warspite wrote:
IG-88E wrote:
Yeah, I hear that. If the DC had been the original, that movie would have made a lot more, IMHO.
JADAFETWA
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

IG-88E wrote:
Warspite wrote:
IG-88E wrote: I like The Abyss, but the Director's Cut WILL blow you away. It's even better than the original version.
Yeah, I hear that. If the DC had been the original, that movie would have made a lot more, IMHO.
No doubt about that.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:I woundn't say I really liked, but Wing Commander seems to be hated by many, I enjoyed it.
True. I didn't love it at all, it needed a lot of story and character development. But I really liked David Arnold's Main title theme.
Yes, but when you consider the length, and the budget, 30 million, hell that was considered low in 1977 when Star Wars was made for it, it was pretty good. The combat certainly was excellent through you could tell during the initial attack on the Tigerclaw they'd really cut back on quality to save money. Evidently there was a big piece witch explained who the traitor both on Pegasus and on the Tigerclaw was but had to be cut because the Kilraith puppets didn't look realistic enough.

Still it was worth what a paid to see it in the theater and the six bucks I paid for the tape. Hell It was worth it just for the theme song. Anyone know where I might find a download of that?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

I liked WATER WORLD, which suffered from the dreaded CURSE OF A COSTNER MOVIE, and Dark City which had Jennifer Connelly in it. I'm not sure what the critics thought of them, but I got the impression they didn't like em.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Starship Troopers

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

PITCH BLACK with Vin Diesel got bad reviews in my neck of the woods, but I absolutely love that movie.
JADAFETWA
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

fgalkin wrote:Starship Troopers
I hear that! Everyone in the theater derided the plot as we were walking out, but then I knew it was just made for the gore/action and loved it.
JADAFETWA
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
I like that movie too, but it's more of aguilty pleasure. Great action sequences. The acting was so-so.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Falkenhorst wrote:I liked WATER WORLD, which suffered from the dreaded CURSE OF A COSTNER MOVIE, and Dark City which had Jennifer Connelly in it. I'm not sure what the critics thought of them, but I got the impression they didn't like em.
Dark City was beautifull!!!! The whole concept of the city changing and the alien's manipulations... Simply wonderfull
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

I don't know a whole lot of people that don't like Pitch Black.,...

I also don't know a whole lot of people that don't like Tremors, but there are enough.

I liked them both.

I also liked Resident Evil.

Formerly verilon

RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
IG-88E wrote:
Warspite wrote: I've seen a few years ago, it certainly explains a LOT.
No doubt about that.
This is the one with the "tidal wave" ending from the novelisation, right? Cool! I also want to see the rat actually breathe underwater. :)
"Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr I'm-My-Own-Grandpa! Let's get the hell out of here already! Screw history!" - Professor Farnsworth
RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

How about Tremors II? It got tarred with the "Direct to Video sequel = inevitably shit" brush by some, but I liked it.
"Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr I'm-My-Own-Grandpa! Let's get the hell out of here already! Screw history!" - Professor Farnsworth
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
I like that movie too, but it's more of aguilty pleasure. Great action sequences. The acting was so-so.
I liked it for Verhoven's bitter satire of heinlein's militarisitic society. Note: the MI were made crappy ON PURPOSE.

It actually has some depth to it, especially if you compare the message it sends to that of the book.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

fgalkin wrote:
THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
I liked it for Verhoven's bitter satire of heinlein's militarisitic society. Note: the MI were made crappy ON PURPOSE.

It actually has some depth to it, especially if you compare the message it sends to that of the book.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Oh so he spoofed it on purpose. I hear constantly about how it ruins the story of the book. I liked it, but I have only heard a little about the book. How is it? It's sounds cool from what I hear of it.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

verilon wrote:I also liked Resident Evil.
Loved that movie....
THEHOOLIGANJEDI wrote:Oh so he spoofed it on purpose. I hear constantly about how it ruins the story of the book. I liked it, but I have only heard a little about the book. How is it? It's sounds cool from what I hear of it.
So-so. Depends on how much you like phiosophy and long-winded tech descriptions.
JADAFETWA
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

RadiO wrote:How about Tremors II? It got tarred with the "Direct to Video sequel = inevitably shit" brush by some, but I liked it.
Tremors II was good too. As far as the third one, though, well......

Formerly verilon

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I really like Grosse Point Blank.

Also all of the Chevy Chase/Dan Akroyd movies like Spies Like Us.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

weemadando wrote:I really like Grosse Point Blank.

Also all of the Chevy Chase/Dan Akroyd movies like Spies Like Us.
Grosse Point Blank is fantastic!! Did people say shit about it?
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

The Phantom Menace

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

DG_Cal_Wright wrote:The Phantom Menace
*shudder*

Sorry, couldn't stand that movie.

Formerly verilon