Wormhole Power Grid?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Obloquium
(is actually revprez!)

Wormhole Power Grid?

Post by Obloquium »

Can anyone think of an sf story or universe featuring a network of wormholes as a means of collecting and distributing power?
To the hustlas, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers...Jesus walks....
To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here hell yeah...Jesus walks...
Now hear ye hear ye want to see Thee more clearly
I know he hear me when my feet get weary
Cuz we're the almost nearly extinct
We rappers are role models we rap we don't think
I ain't here to argue about his facial features
Or here to convert atheists into believers
I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way yall need Jesus....
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

...Not really. Because defining a wormhole as 'Expensive' is akin to defining the centre of a fusion detonaton as 'a little warm'.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Wormhole Power Grid?

Post by Elheru Aran »

Obloquium wrote:Can anyone think of an sf story or universe featuring a network of wormholes as a means of collecting and distributing power?
Power, no; travel, yes. Check out Stargate sometime-- hell, the idea's basically the raison d'etre for the entire series and its spinoff, Atlantis...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Obloquium
(is actually revprez!)

Post by Obloquium »

SirNitram wrote:...Not really. Because defining a wormhole as 'Expensive' is akin to defining the centre of a fusion detonaton as 'a little warm'.
Even if wormholes are expensive, an open matter to say the least, why couldn't you use them as collectors and transfer lines (on top of other applications, like space highways?). And that doesn't answer my question. Can anyone point to any sf work that explores the use of wormholes to collect or generate and then distribute power?
To the hustlas, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers...Jesus walks....
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Obloquium wrote:
SirNitram wrote:...Not really. Because defining a wormhole as 'Expensive' is akin to defining the centre of a fusion detonaton as 'a little warm'.
Even if wormholes are expensive, an open matter to say the least, why couldn't you use them as collectors and transfer lines (on top of other applications, like space highways?). And that doesn't answer my question. Can anyone point to any sf work that explores the use of wormholes to collect or generate and then distribute power?
Expensive as in the energy required. To maintain such a network would be a ridiculous venture at best compared to generating power locally.

So no, no one appears to have explored the idea.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Obloquium
(is actually revprez!)

Post by Obloquium »

SirNitram wrote:Expensive as in the energy required.
I understood the first time.
To maintain such a network would be a ridiculous venture at best compared to generating power locally.
Unless, of course, you have needs that exceed your capacity to generate locally (a la Death Star).
Mike Wong apparantly has. I'm wondering if the idea's been explored by professional sf writers.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

The Hard *Snickers* OA verse has a network of wormholes for Transport.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Obloquium wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Expensive as in the energy required.
I understood the first time.
To maintain such a network would be a ridiculous venture at best compared to generating power locally.
Unless, of course, you have needs that exceed your capacity to generate locally (a la Death Star).
I'm sorry, where does the Empire's energy needs exceed what it can produce in theatre? It produces fuel and moves it around.
Mike Wong apparantly has. I'm wondering if the idea's been explored by professional sf writers.
I'm afraid I would have to profess confusion at this bit about Mike shuffling power via wormhole.

Obloquium
(is actually revprez!)

Post by Obloquium »

SirNitram wrote:I'm sorry, where does the Empire's energy needs exceed what it can produce in theatre? It produces fuel and moves it around.
See the discussion on hypermatter in the article. As for the Empire's energy needs, I imagine that's a discussion for Pure Star Wars or SVS; either way, it doesn't matter much as far as my question's concerned.
I'm afraid I would have to profess confusion at this bit about Mike shuffling power via wormhole.
Wong wrote: "The Death Star requires no onboard fuel." This theory would require that it can somehow draw mass/energy from a source outside of itself, such as the theoretical vacuum zero-point energy of the universe, a source of mass/energy in hyperspace, or a distant source such as a quasar or black hole (presumably connected to the Death Star's hypermatter reactor through some kind of wormhole)....This brings us to the fourth theory: the theory that the Death Star is drawing energy from a source external to itself. This theory is certainly not without its flaws: the ZPE theory requires a high cosmological constant, which would be incompatible with the observed expansion rate of the universe. The "hyperspace tap" theory requires that hyperspace is filled with mass/energy, which may or may not be true. The wormhole theory requires that an artificial wormhole can be created which is anchored at one end and moved freely about at the other end, and this may not be strictly impossible but it definitely stretches credibility. However, the theory seems to suffer from fewer flaws than competing theories, and if true, it would explain the following: [t]he Death Star's vast energy production capabilities, [t]he Death Star's lack of fuel tanks, [t]he absence of side-effects from massive onboard mass/energy storage, such as gravitational effects on the Endor sanctuary moon.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Obloquium wrote:
SirNitram wrote:I'm sorry, where does the Empire's energy needs exceed what it can produce in theatre? It produces fuel and moves it around.
See the discussion on hypermatter in the article. As for the Empire's energy needs, I imagine that's a discussion for Pure Star Wars or SVS; either way, it doesn't matter much as far as my question's concerned.
Pardon me for being unaware of a flawed, unlikely theory likely unupdated in years, as it's pretty clearly trounced by modern explanations of hypermatter.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Wormhole Power Grid?

Post by LadyTevar »

Obloquium wrote:Can anyone think of an sf story or universe featuring a network of wormholes as a means of collecting and distributing power?
It's not SciFi, but I believe the Seventh Gate series by Wiese and Hickman had the worlds connected by wormholes.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Obloquium
(is actually revprez!)

Post by Obloquium »

SirNitram wrote:Pardon me for being unaware of a flawed, unlikely theory likely unupdated in years, as it's pretty clearly trounced by modern explanations of hypermatter.
I don't care about hypermatter. If I did, I would've asked about it in the appropriate forum. I also didn't ask you to make uninformed claims about the mass-energy required to create wormholes. I asked whether there were any sf works exploring the idea of using wormholes as a (presumably interstellar) power grid.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Obloquium wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Pardon me for being unaware of a flawed, unlikely theory likely unupdated in years, as it's pretty clearly trounced by modern explanations of hypermatter.
I don't care about hypermatter. If I did, I would've asked about it in the appropriate forum. I also didn't ask you to make uninformed claims about the mass-energy required to create wormholes. I asked whether there were any sf works exploring the idea of using wormholes as a (presumably interstellar) power grid.
ANd this has been repeatedly replied. Perhaps you need to work on that reading comprehension.

Obloquium
(is actually revprez!)

Post by Obloquium »

SirNitram wrote:ANd this has been repeatedly replied.
Yes. You don't know. You've made that abundantly clear. You wanna move on now?
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

One thing I can think of is David Weber's Empire from the Ashes, where a wormhole-like mechanism (fold-space power transmitters) was used to transfer energy from a power plant on Earth's surface to weapon stations in orbit. Here's a description of how fold-space devices work:
"Supralight communication is maintained via the multi-dimensional communicator, commonly referred to as the 'hypercom,' a highly refined derivative of the much shorter-ranged 'fold-space' communicator used by Fleet personnel. Both combine elements of hyperspace and gravitonic technology to distort normal space and create a point-to-point congruence between distant foci, but in the case of the hypercom these distortions or 'folds' may span as many as several thousand light-years."
Not exactly a traditional wormhole, but it's close.

And another thing which occurs to me, it seems entirely possible that the wormholes in Stargate can be used to transfer power. Given that radio works through a gate, it seems that simple microwave power transmisison would also work.

For more exotic methods, I believe in the season two episode "A Matter of Time", Earth's stargate was powered by a source on the other end of an outgoing wormhole, even after power was cut on the origin side. Then, in the two part season six episode "Redemption", Anubis used an Ancient device which can transfer energy through a wormhole into a remote gate, which would build up and eventually over load it. In both cases a stargate could be used for that purpose if one had a way to extract that energy from the local gate after it's been transferred.
「かかっ―」
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

"The Light of Other Days" by Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke is about the development of cheap, small wormholes used initially as cameras and the complications that go along with absolute loss of privacy.

Eventually, they get large enough (a couple inches across IIRC) that they can be used for power by opening one end to a hot place (deep in the Earth) and pumping the heat through a lazy man's geothermal plant.

It's all on Earth, but that's the closest thing I can think of off hand, and it's a pretty good read too.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

While, the Culture does not use wormholes, it does draw its power from an external source.

And the farcasters from the Hyperionverse are used for transportation.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Ring, by Stephen Baxter, uses a wormhole as a radiator, for a deep-diving solar probe. The material it spits out is so bright, it casts shadows on the solar surface :)
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Obloquium
(is actually revprez!)

Post by Obloquium »

Sriad wrote:"The Light of Other Days" by Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke is about the development of cheap, small wormholes used initially as cameras and the complications that go along with absolute loss of privacy.
I just picked it up. Thanks.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Peter F. Hamilton's Pandora's Star utilizes wormholes in an interesting way, it's set about 400 years in the future and humans have colonised about 350 worlds all linked with artificial wormholes (FTL spaceships haven't been invented though). People travel through them by boarding train like vehicles, and heading into a normal 'tunnel' where the wormhole mouth/exit is located.

There is also talk about distributing power from one planet, to another (to power a shield covering a city in a later alien attack) and other instances of transmitting hugh volumes of energy to destroy targets near the exit of a wormhole