A true to life AT-AT, possible?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

AT-AT, possible?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 39

Cabwi Desco
Padawan Learner

A true to life AT-AT, possible?

Post by Cabwi Desco »

well i was thinking of star wars vehicles or tech that would work using current modern technology and i started thinking about walkers, specifically the AT-AT, and realized (minus the lasers of course and the non-existence of durasteel) one could theoretically build an AT-AT.

it doesnt require fancy repulsors, its mostly a armored box on legs.

you would need powerful drive motors to move the thing but wouldnt it be possible? if not a scaled down one man model maybe?
irishmick79 wrote:Gun Bunnies should, under no circumstances, be given access to the force.
The South may rise again, but the North will just kick their asses... again.
MickeyMo
Redshirt

Post by MickeyMo »

The problem is that even if existing tech allowed for such a device, the existing anti-armor tech would render it useless.
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Oh, possible. As long as all you are making is a(n unarmoured) metal box on legs.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
MickeyMo
Redshirt

Post by MickeyMo »

Large armored vehicles are easy targets for armored munitions.......
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

While it probaly could possible make an Walker that would more or less immune to most anti-armor weapons

first it would probaly be closer to AT-TE then AT-AT

Second it probaly draw a lot fire, since its legs would make easy to disable
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

We could probably build the frame, and quadruped locomotion isn't as hard as bipedal locomotion. Kudos to MickeyMo for noticing that we simply couldn't armor it enough and even if we did, it would be a sitting duck to any sort of anti-armor munitions or aircraft.

The other problem would be powering it. You'd have to put in a diesel generator on the order of the V-24 powered monsters they put in the big dump trucks. Then you'd have to have equally big fuel tanks. And on top of that, you'd have to have massive electric traction motors to drive the legs.

In short, the thing would probably topple over when it tried to take its first step, since we don't have the compact power sources in Star Wars and as a result, it'd weigh several hundred (if not several thousand) tons -- and the bulk of that would be at the top.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

The term missile magnet comes to mind. :D
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Possible. But useless.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Sure it's possible, but it's a frankly idiotic design obviously created to look impressive on screen rather than be a practical vehicle. You're infinitely better off building a wheeled or treaded vehicle. It'll be faster, more efficient, and more stable.
A legged vehicle would be good for rough terrain. It could go in places where a wheeled vehicle never could. But a good one would be lower to the ground than an AT-AT.
And don't even get me into the two legged walkers from ROTJ. Man those things look built to fall over.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Junghalli wrote: And don't even get me into the two legged walkers from ROTJ. Man those things look built to fall over.
Those were in TESB, too, just FYI.
I think te common consensus has been for a long time that Walkers are primarily a terror weapon. They're designed the way they are because of their looks.
As an aside, I'm still trying to figure out what MickeyMo's armored munitions are...
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Batman wrote: Those were in TESB, too, just FYI.
I think te common consensus has been for a long time that Walkers are primarily a terror weapon. They're designed the way they are because of their looks.
As an aside, I'm still trying to figure out what MickeyMo's armored munitions are...
He probably meant anti-armor weapons.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Batman wrote: Those were in TESB, too, just FYI.
He probably meant anti-armor weapons.
Oh, I know what he meant, but since he also seems to think kevlar bullets are teh uber :)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
MickeyMo
Redshirt

Post by MickeyMo »

Batman, no thats because our existing munitions can already penetrate kevlar. Vests made only of kevlar a useless against most rifles, especially high powered ones.

The point being is that there will never be a time, in this or any other century or Galaxy, when any armor can be created that will need anything other than a projectile to penetrate it. Since they can just make the munitions out of the same substance. That goes for Tungsten, Depleted Uranium, Titanium or "Durasteel." The actual munitions and armor will be composites of various materials, as is already the case with many types.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Oh, so armor needs to be cracked by a penetrator? Gee whiz, guess the RPG's useless then...

Oh, wait-- the news from Iraq just came in... nope, it ain't.

Point is, you don't need a penetrator to go through armor-- shaped charges, HEAT, and so forth, are just as effective. Hell, with something along the lines of the AT-AT, you could just set off a bigass directed explosion and knock it over, effectively rendering it immobile.

I suggest you do your research first...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
MickeyMo
Redshirt

Post by MickeyMo »

I never said that there are not other ways to defeat armored vehicles. "...anything other than a projectile" meant that we won't need phasers or blasters or rayguns.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Elheru Aran wrote:Oh, so armor needs to be cracked by a penetrator? Gee whiz, guess the RPG's useless then...

Oh, wait-- the news from Iraq just came in... nope, it ain't.

Point is, you don't need a penetrator to go through armor-- shaped charges, HEAT, and so forth, are just as effective. Hell, with something along the lines of the AT-AT, you could just set off a bigass directed explosion and knock it over, effectively rendering it immobile.

I suggest you do your research first...
Actually HEAT rounds do use a penetrator, when the round goes off the super-heated liquid metal and gas from the warhead becomes the penetrator.

You could probably build an AT-AT using modern materials and weapons, but there's no point. It's role can be fulfilled by modern MBT and APC/IFV's operating together. The AT-AT is designed to be a weapon of terror to be used against technilogically inferior opponents. Conditions that don't exactly exist on modern Earth.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

The only reason walkers were created in SW militaries is to defeat theater shields, walkers can march right through them. They have no real or practical purpose in modern warfare.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

treaded vehicles can also bypass theatre shields.
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

Yes I know.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

You could build one but it will only be good for coolness looking
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

It's a pity that George Lucas seems to be allergic to tracks The SPHA-T would have been a perfect candidate (IIRC it was even in the original design), yet they put those useless-looking centipede legs on it. Sigh...
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Darth Bowser
Youngling

Post by Darth Bowser »

It seems to be a rule, futuristic = needs legs not tracks.
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

Crayz9000 wrote:It's a pity that George Lucas seems to be allergic to tracks The SPHA-T would have been a perfect candidate (IIRC it was even in the original design), yet they put those useless-looking centipede legs on it. Sigh...
Yeah, that always bugged me too. Oh well, at least we get the Juggernaught "Turbo Tank" in Episode 3 though. :)
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Icehawk wrote:
Crayz9000 wrote:It's a pity that George Lucas seems to be allergic to tracks The SPHA-T would have been a perfect candidate (IIRC it was even in the original design), yet they put those useless-looking centipede legs on it. Sigh...
Yeah, that always bugged me too. Oh well, at least we get the Juggernaught "Turbo Tank" in Episode 3 though. :)
Please say that "turbo tank" wont the official name :?
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

wautd wrote:Please say that "turbo tank" wont the official name :?
It's hardly a tank anyway, more like a cross between a Stryker and a two-story dump truck with blasters tacked on for good measure ;)

But yeah, calling it a turbo tank is kinda dumb...